6%
Late Victorian Period (1880-1900)
No votes

Total votes: 32

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Re: Time Period for SDN World 3

Post by Steve »

For the benefit of players, I suggest we permit them to be... unrealistically progressive for the era, if they so choose. I know I plan on Cascadia being heavily enlightened for the era, more like 1970s US than what a 1920s Western nation really is. There will be racism, but it will be seen as a sign of bigotry and backwardness.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

I'm still not entirely sold on a 1925 start, seeing as most of those interwar designs didn't actually come into existence until the 1930s. I'd like some actual variety in tank and aircraft designs; everyone using practically identical gear with only minor variations would get boring very fast.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Thanas wrote:With regards to airpower - maybe I am a bit too paranoid about it. I just do not want to see existing navies of dreadnoughts being rendered obsolete by carrier fleets of doom in a few years.

1925 would work fine in that regard, yes.
I intend on imposing limits on introduction of technology and equipment via the use of landmark years. For instance, with a 1925 start all carriers will be converted carriers or, if purpose-built, very small "light" carriers like the Hōshō. I will not permit any "fleet" carrier construction before 1930, and if you want something that won't be determined a lemon by moderator decree, you'd better damned well have a converted carrier of larger tonnage (like the British Furious, Japanese Akagi, or US Saratoga) at the time you try to claim you're going to start building fleet carriers.

Really, even with a 1930 start you wouldn't have to worry about that, Thanas, I have no intention of tolerating techrushing to marauding carrier fleets.

And Shinn, I will probably allow some ahistoricalness in bringing in tanks and stuff because a lot of reason certain things didn't start to get put into service until the 30s was because, in the 20s, post-WWI disarmament and focus upon diplomatic initiatives stunted military advancement. So a number of those designs may be permitted before 1930. Not sure yet how much I'll shave off their historical start years.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

What about unguided rocket spam instead of conventional shells?
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

For naval battles?

*snicker*

Well, if you want to try.... :D

Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Steve wrote:For naval battles?

*snicker*

That bad, huh? Alright, whatever. Just trying to be different.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Steve wrote:For the benefit of players, I suggest we permit them to be... unrealistically progressive for the era, if they so choose. I know I plan on Cascadia being heavily enlightened for the era, more like 1970s US than what a 1920s Western nation really is. There will be racism, but it will be seen as a sign of bigotry and backwardness.

Ah Geez, is this because of me and Shep in the chat the other night making you uncomfortable?
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

"It's been proven that rock-chuckers have smaller skulls than Grand Domionites."
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

MKSheppard wrote:"It's been proven that rock-chuckers have smaller skulls than Grand Domionites."
"Next you will be wanting to extend the franchise to Jews and Protestants."
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

"My god, what is the world coming to? Next they'll want us to view Hindoos as human beings!"
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Ryan Thunder wrote:
Steve wrote:For naval battles?

*snicker*

That bad, huh? Alright, whatever. Just trying to be different.
It was once recorded by Soviet High Command that a particular rocket attack on a town some distance from three full batteries(Twelve launchers) had been used in-mass against a bridge full of retreating Axis soldiers some two and a half kilometers distant was hit by roughly nine of the 203 rockets launched(Several of the Katyusha's had one or two missfired rockets or ones that went of early). The remaing rockets scattered themselves over half a kilomter of impact area. This anecdote was in General Hoth's biography and I'm not sure where he got it. But I've heard a few similar accounts. If you want to hit a city? Well missile spam is the way to go... Hit a ship which itself is moving? Not likely.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Lonestar wrote:
Steve wrote:For the benefit of players, I suggest we permit them to be... unrealistically progressive for the era, if they so choose. I know I plan on Cascadia being heavily enlightened for the era, more like 1970s US than what a 1920s Western nation really is. There will be racism, but it will be seen as a sign of bigotry and backwardness.

Ah Geez, is this because of me and Shep in the chat the other night making you uncomfortable?
No, it's because other players have expressed concern to me about how much racism would be in the game as a "sign of the times".

I'm not saying you can't be a bunch of racist fuckers, but the rest of us don't have to be if we don't want to be.

Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

As a request, i would kindly ask that any annolouge to the Washington Naval Treaty be removed from the game before things start up.

Also, i call the Empire of Japan annolouge for this game, with the general evil levels turned down.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

No, the WNT shouldn't be turned down (why?), and the current levels of evil of a particular nation should be purely the decision of the player.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Zor, we're not claiming countries yet, time period still up for grabs.

Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Mr Bean wrote:This anecdote was in General Hoth's biography and I'm not sure where he got it. But I've heard a few similar accounts. If you want to hit a city? Well missile spam is the way to go... Hit a ship which itself is moving? Not likely.
What was stopping them from making them as accurate as standard naval guns?
Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Post by Czechmate »

Zor wrote:As a request, i would kindly ask that any annolouge to the Washington Naval Treaty be removed from the game before things start up.

Also, i call the Empire of Japan annolouge for this game, with the general evil levels turned down.

Zor
Firstly, an analogue to the WNT has already been proposed and pretty much accepted to explicitly avoid really crazy powergamer ships.

Secondly, to Stas, level of evil is indeed up to the player. Gas all the malcontents you like. However, we should all keep in mind that the system doesn't give anybody a 'free pass' like the last one did and one might end up with a coalition of other powers with their own strengths and weaknesses gathering together out of shared dislike of one's ideology and one's behavior.

Shortly before they invade you from several different directions. Heheheheh. Love this era. :D

*Edited in the name of fairness.
Last edited by Czechmate on 2009-10-13 02:13am, edited 1 time in total.
tiny friendly crab.
Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Post by Czechmate »

Ryan Thunder wrote:
Mr Bean wrote:This anecdote was in General Hoth's biography and I'm not sure where he got it. But I've heard a few similar accounts. If you want to hit a city? Well missile spam is the way to go... Hit a ship which itself is moving? Not likely.
Poor accuracy over long range. Rocket weapons were never really meant to hit anything accurately, so much as just smother them in explosions at a rate no artillery piece could match.
tiny friendly crab.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Ryan Thunder wrote:
Rocket weapons are not guided, and spin stabilizing them as you can with a heavy naval projectile simply is not possible. A decent Naval 5inch can get within a dozen meters of a target on the shore or another target on the ocean in anything up to medium seas because they can preciously calculate the range, and adjust the powder charge(Precise for WWII) to go that far. The projectile is spinning so it fly's truer. Meanwhile you can't adjust a rocket except in it's angle of fire. You get a rocket it's prebuilt it should have powder all the same amount but you can't do things like crack it open and remove some to reduce the range. And flight time of WWII era rockets mean you also have to factor in ship speeds at any range. Sure at shorter ranges a nice rocket barrage would tear up an enemy ship but at that range you might as well be tossing torpedoes as the Japanese did.

Addendum, Rocket artillery is much more affected by wind due to high surface area and projectile shape. Spin stabilizing rockets is hard. Spin stabilizing rockets with any kind of wind? Inaccurate does not even come into it. Fire and forget them hitting the target.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Rockets are relatively large and slow objects and thus are subjected to wind etc.

Spinning is more useful for straight flight and not projectile motion.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Just how much participation will be required, exactly? I'd like to play my nation-state concept of Kaetjhasti which I've previously elucidated on the board if we're gonna be around 1925-ish, but I have some heavy time constraints so I might not be heavily involved. May I suggest that non-historical countries originate from a Vaguely Plausible Point of Divergence? For example a Neo-Byzantium would be freshly formed by a more successful Greece in WW1 conquering Constantinople, and that sort of thing. Cascadia would be the result of the US and Britain holding a condominion over the Oregon Country long enough that it developed its own culture and was granted independence by both in the later 19th century, etcetera.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Post by Czechmate »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:Just how much participation will be required, exactly? I'd like to play my nation-state concept of Kaetjhasti which I've previously elucidated on the board if we're gonna be around 1925-ish, but I have some heavy time constraints so I might not be heavily involved. May I suggest that non-historical countries originate from a Vaguely Plausible Point of Divergence? For example a Neo-Byzantium would be freshly formed by a more successful Greece in WW1 conquering Constantinople, and that sort of thing. Cascadia would be the result of the US and Britain holding a condominion over the Oregon Country long enough that it developed its own culture and was granted independence by both in the later 19th century, etcetera.
We hadn't yet gotten to that point. We're still trying to agree on starting date. 1925 seems to be the developing consensus.

As to alternate history backstories, Steve said something about PODs as far back as a hundred or so years. We haven't put much spotlight on that yet.
tiny friendly crab.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

We typically have some absentee players and activity wouldn't be daily, even if we go back to "RL month = IG year" you might have to post once a week, at most, especially considering the concept we have for a system for how one expands/upgrades military forces with quarterly industrial capacity allotment.

And Czech, that was Wilkens. I think we'll end up with multiple PODs. And really, I think that even if we do things implausible we shouldn't worry about it. The point of the game is to have fun and make up countries we want to control, not strive for historical accuracy.

Bluewolf
Dishonest Fucktard

Post by Bluewolf »

and the current levels of evil of a particular nation should be purely the decision of the player.
I am with this. Though there is a line between fitting the IC time period and just being hateful, I think that we should be so limiting on people who want to play as a more evil nation, so to speak. I mean its not as if nicer ones will not trade with them or will double team them with others etc if they do anything. On top of that it generates conflict which is good for an RP like this.

Oh and on the WNT. Can't we just lower its limits while not scrapping it totally?
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Stas Bush wrote:No, the WNT shouldn't be turned down (why?),
Why would we assume that something like the WNT exists?

I might add that even without a WNT, the absolute biggest BBs the GD will have to start with will be 13.5in broadside ones. It's a fiscal decision already made on my part, but at least I'l have some pre-dreads converted to Coastal Defense as well.