Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

SD.Net World Redux Comment Thread IX

Post by Mr Bean »

Will this game hit X? Or Not?
Tune in 1500 posts from now.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Re: SD.Net World Redux Comment Thread IX

Post by Czechmate »

It'll hit X. Whether it's still fun not a total stalemate by then is left to the winds.
tiny friendly crab.
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

BTW how did everyone else with flags go about making them? Did you just use paint? Any handy resources I should know about?
Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Post by Czechmate »

Um, I never officially used one for TJ, but when I was toying around with flag ideas I used Paint, then GIMP to clean them up. Emmeria just uses the already-gorgeous Emmerian flag from AC6.
tiny friendly crab.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I used Paint Shop Pro.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Pollux
Padawan Learner

Post by Pollux »

Paint, all the way.

It's for real men. Or lazy men. Yeah. Whichever's more like you, I guess. :lol:
"Minnesota has 10,000 lakes. This is roughly 4,000 times more lakes than people."
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Raj Ahten wrote:BTW how did everyone else with flags go about making them? Did you just use paint? Any handy resources I should know about?
Paint Shop Pro, and I just used the US flag (obviously) except I replaced the stars with US Army's Civil Affairs Regimental Corps Crest via some white outline I found on Google. Not because it has some kind of personal meaning for me, I just thought it looked nifty.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Paint.net, for flags and maps and everything else. It's free, too.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Bluewolf
Dishonest Fucktard

Post by Bluewolf »

I used a mixture of GIMP and Inkscape do my flag, with some help of course (for flag design ideas)
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Now all I have to do is get some inspiration an hopefully not just end up with one of those 3 different colored bar flags.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Siege...I'm not sure it's possible to convert a Wasp class LHD into an angled deck carrier, the hull doesn't allow for it.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Lonestar wrote:Siege...I'm not sure it's possible to convert a Wasp class LHD into an angled deck carrier, the hull doesn't allow for it.
And you say this two years after I announced the project? :P

Honestly I don't possess any knowledge on this particular subject. If it isn't actually possible just consider the light carrier a newly built ship with the same name as the old one, which in that case has long since been reduced to razorblades. Any claim that it's still the old boat is then probably a trick on the part of the navy to get the light carrier they wanted even though the Syndicate didn't release funds for a new ship ;).
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

SiegeTank wrote:
And you say this two years after I announced the project? :P

Honestly I don't possess any knowledge on this particular subject. If it isn't actually possible just consider the light carrier a newly built ship with the same name as the old one, which in that case has long since been reduced to razorblades. Any claim that it's still the old boat is then probably a trick on the part of the navy to get the light carrier they wanted even though the Syndicate didn't release funds for a new ship ;).

Hell, I can't remember. But no, the Hull form of a LHD doesn't really allow for (much) of an angled deck. I have no problem with it being a light fleet carrier though.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

The problem IIRC is stuff like the hollow open areas of the boat for deploying MEU units and such.

But I'm half asleep and in the middle of getting my sleeping times re-arranged so don't heed me. :P
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

I'm not sure, but the hull form of the Wasp is somewhat similar to the Midway class carriers and those got refitted with an angled flight deck. Granted, the carriers had limitations and I might be wrong...
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Here we go! Prime Noir begins! :)
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Yes.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

:D

And so, it begins...
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Is each SD world a different world? Or does it build on the last?
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Just a heads up to Czech, I fixed a bit of the formatting on the Emmerian wiki page. Hope you don't mind.

I also removed the hideously obvious snipe, by the way. Yes, I have almost double the planes that you do in service. I built them, thanks. :roll:
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:Is each SD world a different world? Or does it build on the last?
There have been two SDN Worlds; the first ended in an orgy of nuclear violence. This is the second one (hence 'redux'), and each thread about it (so far nine OOC comment threads and four IC game threads) is a continuation of the previous, and is set in the same world and its (shaky) continuity.
Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Post by Czechmate »

Ryan Thunder wrote:Just a heads up to Czech, I fixed a bit of the formatting on the Emmerian wiki page. Hope you don't mind.

I also removed the hideously obvious snipe, by the way. Yes, I have almost double the planes that you do in service. I built them, thanks. :roll:
A+ for initiative, F for messing with someone else's shit without asking first. Wikis can be edited by anyone, yes, but we've refrained from messing with one another's pages on the wiki thus far.

No Touchie.

EDIT: tl;dr thanks but no thanks.
tiny friendly crab.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

If you're not allied, don't touch. Even if you are allied, think first. Ex: Vineyard's OOB didn't include the 3 DGNs they leased from me, so I updated it. When OOBs were transitioning, we (meaning Rogue Ice and I) wrote up ship pages, and linked to them from MESS member pages.

That's about the limit of what you should do.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Czechmate wrote:A+ for initiative, F for messing with someone else's shit without asking first. Wikis can be edited by anyone, yes, but we've refrained from messing with one another's pages on the wiki thus far.

No Touchie.

EDIT: tl;dr thanks but no thanks.
As your humble Wiki owner and admin, I have no problem if people fix formatting errors and maybe some obvious spelling stuff. By formatting I mean stuff like Coyote's ALLCAPS of DOOM in his headers, if you stick an extra = on header code (resulting in, say, Economy = as a header) and things like that.

Looking through the formatting edits he did, I don't really see why you'd complain about him changing "TX" to "Tian Xia" or taking out unneeded <br> tags. I suppose he didn't need to replace the <br> tags with new * bullets in your National Data (we don't have "page standards" but again I don't see an issue with it. And replacing "ACTIVE AIRCRAFT" with "Active Aircraft" is only a positive in my eyes. :wink:

As for the "snipe" being removed, I thought relating your numbers to Miratia in the article was not really needed, and I was pretty much waiting until you said it was final, and then I'd see if you still had that note. If you did, I would've asked you to remove it, as there's no reason for that to be there.

Still, Ryan probably shouldn't have done that on his own. In future though, if you see someone taking an OOC-esque shot at you on the Wiki, just send me and Beo (he's the other admin) a PM about it, and we can address it.

So, in short:
If you see a pretty blatent formatting error, like broken text or something ugly like ALLCAPS headers, you can fix it. For example: I'm not going to complain if I make a "History" subheading on my Shinra Republic page, accidently spell it "Hitsory" and fail to notice, then some kind soul comes along and fixes that for me.

Do not change anybody's actual data, though. Regardless if you feel it is incorrect, unrealistic, wanked, etc. That's not your place. Bring it up here in OOC, we'll argue about it, and then see what the verdict is. Like any other OOB bitching. :D

If somebody's taking a swipe at you, and it's not from some in-universe perspective, report that to an admin and we'll decide. For example: Siege could have some 'policy statement' on the NFT Army page about countering "Tian Xian imperialism" and that'd be ok; the NFT Army just might have such a policy, after all. On the other hand, if he says something like "Beowulf is a big poopy head" that would likely be inappropriate and it'd be edited out.

So just some general guidelines to Wiki editing. BTW, if it's official that Steve is to be our game mod, I'll promote him to a SDN World Wiki admin as well. Since he'd be final arbiter on "But so-and-so's OOB is wanked out!" and can thus change it.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Post by Czechmate »

Well, like I said, A+ for initiative. My only problem is him doing it without asking, or just telling me the format errors. The snipe...well, I put that in because I felt like it. It's gone now and I don't feel the need to put it back. Nuff said.
Last edited by Czechmate on 2009-07-25 07:03pm, edited 2 times in total.
tiny friendly crab.