SD.Net Lords of Darkness Mk-II OOB

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Re: SD.Net Lords of Darkness Mk-II (Trial/Recruiter thread)

Post by Master_Baerne »

Right, here's my OOB, starting plans, etc.

State: The Empire of Manticore
Ruler: James Baerne
1,001-3,500 Regular Posters
25,000 Army Points
A fortress diameter with five meter tall and two meters thick made of rammed earth and fire hardened brick, barbed wire and various support structures listed above on a larger scale and additional buildings surrounding it based on your size.
3,500 Cattle
First off, livestock: I'll take half cattle, and the rest divided equally between pigs and sheep, so: 1750 cattle, 1750 pigs, and 1750 sheep.

There would be hundred of Cahokian mounds, some hundreds of feet in height, in my territory at this time, many of which are outside a city. I'm dropping my fortress (which will be an exact replica of the Tower of London circa 1500, when it housed the majority of England's weapons, including several cannon) on top of one, as close to the Mississippi as I can get - Exactly how close this will be is entirely up for debate, but certainly not more than a mile.

5% of 2500 is 1250. Therefore, I have 1250 each of modern axes, saws, sledgehammers, shovels, pickaxes, plows, measuring spools, and seed bags.

125 kilograms of gold forms my starting treasury.
I shall fill my Mystical Transport Box with low-volume high-value trade goods: plastic beads, glass cups, synthetic fabrics, compasses, binoculars, small mirrors, and mechanical watches, specifically.

On to the army.

Orcs: 10,000. 5,000 will be armed with crossbows, 2,500 with 18-ft pikes and swords, and 2500 with swords, shields, and spears. (20,000 points)

Naga: 500. (1,500 points, 21,500 total)

Satyrs: 100. (500 points, 22,000 total)

Ursiods: 100. (3000 points, 25,000 total)

Plots & Plans:
It is my policy to trade with every SDN enclave, and with as many native civilizations as possible. As I'm right across the river from Cahokia, at this time one of the largest cities in the world, I intend to establish good relations with them as soon as possible - Those trade goods I'm bringing are for their benefit, as will be some livestock of a type and quantity to be determined later. If it seems beneficial, I'll give my first nanite injection to their king, first explaining that it is a gift of the gods through me to him, and that he had best repay it - Marriage politics might be viable; we'll see.
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Master_Baerne wrote: There would be hundred of Cahokian mounds, some hundreds of feet in height, in my territory at this time, many of which are outside a city. I'm dropping my fortress (which will be an exact replica of the Tower of London circa 1500, when it housed the majority of England's weapons, including several cannon) on top of one, as close to the Mississippi as I can get - Exactly how close this will be is entirely up for debate, but certainly not more than a mile.

5% of 2500 is 1250. Therefore, I have 1250 each of modern axes, saws, sledgehammers, shovels, pickaxes, plows, measuring spools, and seed bags.
Two points: you made a typo when calculating your axes etc - you lost a zero of your army points, but the number of equipment is correct.

Secondly, are we now able to bring non-era arms with us ? My understanding of the OP regarding castles was that the modern modifications make the castles bad fortifications, not that we take their (modern) content with us.
However, I'll include some snow globes of the Tower in my m³ as gift trinkets - and at its new location, it will really look like that on many days of the year; maybe I can sell them as crystal balls ? ;-).

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

My understanding was your Fortress of Doom would could be a copy of an existing structure, not an exact copy but an architectural copy. No more than I can copy one of the Modern Swiss Alphs fortresses which started life as Castles and were upgraded again and again over the years until to this point some of them double as not only excellent local defenses buildings but double as artillery bases and nuclear fall-out shelters thanks to the Second World War. Hell I picked one of those and we did get an exact copy my Fortress of Doom would come with half a mile of underground bunkers and enough 203mm and 155mm artillery to destroy anything inside of ten miles. Not to mention fixed anti-air defenses and old surplus 47mm and up Tank guns dug in to provide extra defenses on the approaches in addition to the MG emplacements.

So yeah, architectural copy
Not exact copy.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Otherwise I'd have upgraded my tower to one of the german Flak towers.
I think it would have been nearly impervious to anything of that age, as it's still nearly impossible to remove them without levelling thé neighbourhood.

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Dave
Jedi Knight

Post by Dave »

Raesene wrote:Otherwise I'd have upgraded my tower to one of the german Flak towers.
I think it would have been nearly impervious to anything of that age, as it's still nearly impossible to remove them without levelling thé neighbourhood.
If it's an architectural copy, I don't see why you wouldn't still want it. Sure you don't get the guns and stuff, but still, that's a tough building.
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

Fine, fine, no vast storehouse of weapons and armor for me. (Yet!) I'll have Edinburgh Castle instead, then, since it's a rather more impressive fortress.
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Dave wrote:
Raesene wrote:Otherwise I'd have upgraded my tower to one of the german Flak towers.
If it's an architectural copy, I don't see why you wouldn't still want it. Sure you don't get the guns and stuff, but still, that's a tough building.
I'm not sure about being able to breathe without aircondition in all rooms. It's been a long time since I visited the Haus des Meeres - Vienna Aquarium, but I remember lots of staircases and perpetual aircondition noises. I don't want to suffocate without electricity to pump air into my throne room ;-). The available natural light (or rather lack of it) would be comparable in both cases, as the Tower had real arrow slits, the larger windows were built in during a reconstruction in the 18th century.

However, in my opinion the Flak tower's construction is too modern, it would be the equivalent of taking modern arms with me, so I'll stay with the White Tower. Although the Gefechtsturm Augarten would make a very good Overlord lair... :twisted: - and I'll reserve it for use if the players consider it acceptable.

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Master_Baerne wrote:Fine, fine, no vast storehouse of weapons and armor for me. (Yet!) I'll have Edinburgh Castle instead, then, since it's a rather more impressive fortress.
You'll have to specify a time frame to copy it from, and also, Edinburgh is almost twice the size of Stirling which I picked, Im not sure you could pick something that big wiht your post count.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
bobnik
Youngling

Post by bobnik »

Would I be able to take a copy of the Great Tower of Raglan Castle, as originally constructed? I realise I wouldn't get the apron wall or the moat, but it looks nifty.
English is truly a Chaotic language; it will mutate at the drop of a hat, unmercifully rend words from other languages, spreads like the fabled plagues of old and has bastard children with any other dialect it can get its grubby little syntax on.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

bobnik wrote:Would I be able to take a copy of the Great Tower of Raglan Castle, as originally constructed? I realise I wouldn't get the apron wall or the moat, but it looks nifty.
Yeah that looks nice, compact, pretty small but utilitarian, a shame of its current state, I quite like the geometric look to it, have any artist recreations of it?
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Dave
Jedi Knight

Post by Dave »

Raesene wrote: I'm not sure about being able to breathe without aircondition in all rooms. It's been a long time since I visited the Haus des Meeres - Vienna Aquarium, but I remember lots of staircases and perpetual aircondition noises. I don't want to suffocate without electricity to pump air into my throne room ;-). The available natural light (or rather lack of it) would be comparable in both cases, as the Tower had real arrow slits, the larger windows were built in during a reconstruction in the 18th century.

However, in my opinion the Flak tower's construction is too modern, it would be the equivalent of taking modern arms with me, so I'll stay with the White Tower. Although the Gefechtsturm Augarten would make a very good Overlord lair... :twisted: - and I'll reserve it for use if the players consider it acceptable.
A translated webpage about a Hochbunker converted into a school claims that the interior temperature of the building hovers between 7 and 10 deg. Celsius.

It looks good to me. If I can take a modified and scaled down version of the third generation Nazi AA fire control tower, I probably will, unless someone has a better idea. I was thinking about opening up the ground floor somewhat for airflow and punching a central column through the center (stair well?) for cooling. Maybe I can get some good natural ventilation flowing through it... A bunch of arrowslits, murder holes and maybe some light shelves to reduce lighting costs would really help, too. :D

Is that OK?
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

You CAN take one of those, if oyu want... but keep in mind since you are taking an architectural copy, what you will be getting is a massive concrete tower. Sure easy to defend, but not exactly comfortable. The spot you picked is between Ohio and Penn, its going to get cold there during the winter. That said you can still pick a building like that...
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Dave
Jedi Knight

Post by Dave »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:You CAN take one of those, if oyu want... but keep in mind since you are taking an architectural copy, what you will be getting is a massive concrete tower. Sure easy to defend, but not exactly comfortable. The spot you picked is between Ohio and Penn, its going to get cold there during the winter. That said you can still pick a building like that...
What building and time period would you suggest? I'm not terribly knowledgeable in this field...
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

My castle will essentially be Deal Castle, except scaled to match my wall specs. The ditch will be turned into a proper moat, deeper but filled with water to where the ground is in reality. Of course, the castle will have a drawbridge and portcullis like it originally did, as opposed to the stone bridge used today. Too bad there aren't any piranhas in Asia. Ah, well. If I relocate from Beijing to the Yangtze, I can have alligators! :twisted:

Are we posting OOBs in this thread now?
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Darth Yoshi wrote:Are we posting OOBs in this thread now?
Suyre if you want, there will ev entually be a pure thread just for OOB's but for now anyone who wants can post them here, mostly so others can review them.
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
KroLazuxy_87
Padawan Learner

Post by KroLazuxy_87 »

I'm thinking about getting 200 Ursiods and 300 Satyrs, setting up in Central Asia and backing up Timur when he makes his bid for power.

I get ten years to set shop and convince Timur I can help him rule the world.(Not to mention I can give him a nanite injection then)

More details to come after I research the area more.
To criticize a person for their race is manifestly irrational and ridiculous, but to criticize their religion, that is a right. That is a freedom. The freedom to criticize ideas, any ideas - even if they are sincerely held beliefs - is one of the fundamental freedoms of society. A law which attempts to say you can criticize and ridicule ideas as long as they are not religious ideas is a very peculiar law indeed. -Rowan Atkinson
Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

No one told me about this! Should have looked on my own (kicks self)

I'm here, and as posted in the original thread.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
KroLazuxy_87
Padawan Learner

Post by KroLazuxy_87 »

Is there another thread for this? Have we moved on?

Just wondering if this idea has fizzled out, if something is in the work, or if it's moved on and I just haven't noticed.
To criticize a person for their race is manifestly irrational and ridiculous, but to criticize their religion, that is a right. That is a freedom. The freedom to criticize ideas, any ideas - even if they are sincerely held beliefs - is one of the fundamental freedoms of society. A law which attempts to say you can criticize and ridicule ideas as long as they are not religious ideas is a very peculiar law indeed. -Rowan Atkinson
Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Well.. its "here" I Was hoping more people would show interest, or even start discussing things to play, but it seems most are doing the SDnet world hting right now... I mean, all the world is done, really we could start this at any time, just need to bring all the people together,
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Dave
Jedi Knight

Post by Dave »

Start the threads and they will come. Myself, I still need to nail down which building I'm going to use for my manor, but otherwise I'm set to go.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Yeah, you were the one to start the thread in Fantasy. I didn't want to steal your thunder or anything by starting my own thread.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Secularism—since AD 80
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Hmm well, the SD world HAS slowed down, and people do same itching for a change... lets give it a go then, Ill star things off!
ANd oh yes, as of now this will become the OFFICAL OOB Thread, please post fully articulated descriptions of troops, locations, facilities, equipment and castle.
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Re: SD.Net Lords of Darkness Mk-II OOB

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Alright, here we go:

The Jade Regency
Leader: Cai Qi

250 satyrs, 50 emissaries, the rest scholars
1000 naga, 25 fishers
350 minotaurs, 50 farmers
500 centaurs, 50 herders
200 ursoids
10000 orcs, 100 traders, 20 smiths
2000 goblins, 225 ogre keepers, the rest as agricultural laborers
15 ogres

5000 cattle
2500 goats
1250 chickens
1250 pigs

2500 seedbags
250000g gold

For the axes and stuff, I get 5% of each type, right? Which works out to 2500 per.

My box of stuff will have radios and nightvision goggles to increase the security of the castle and the surrounding area, components for a small hydroelectric generator, copies of a Chinese atlas to be distributed amongst the commanders of my army, and woodshop tools.

As stated earlier, my castle will essentially be Deal Castle, except scaled to match my specs. The ditch will be turned into a proper moat, deeper but filled with water to where the ground is in reality. Of course, the castle will have a drawbridge and portcullis like it originally did, as opposed to the stone bridge used today. The moat will be infested with alligators.

I plan to establish contact with the White Lotus and other Han insurgents. While my satyrs are off doing that, everyone else will be focused on securing the area and getting farms started. This includes building artillery for my castle, if it doesn't come with cannons. Ultimately I hope to entrench myself as a divine advisor to the Ming or whatever the new dynasty will be called, aiming to maintain a position of strength in the face of imminent European colonialism.
Secularism—since AD 80
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Alright here's and updated OOB, and the name stands for now

The Graceland Empire
Leader: The "King" Bean
*edit yes the flag is a joke. Cookie if you know where it's from.

Fortress
Built on the same rough shape as Fort Manoel in Malta, a Star shape fortress except built to my specification internally. To be exact I'm going to add a central drum tower right to the middle of the star plus watch towers at each of the corners. Each of the towers shall be three stories taller than the wall they are behind and have a roof good for mounting good old fashion catapults. The Central drum shall house my peace time apartments, the main administration building shall house war-time/high summer apartments in a sub-basement. The entire fort will be built on the large scale demanded by the OP considering all the food storage I have to fit into my fortress of doom.

Units

30,000 Orcs (60k)
3,000 qualified Tradesmen, 600 of each major trade
15,000 Naga (45k)
1,500 qualified tradesmen, 800 Fisherman, 140 of the other major trades

7,000 Satyrs (35k)
700 qualified tradesmen, 80 Ambassadors/Diplomats in addition to 124 of the other major trades

2,500 Ursiods (75k)
250 qualified tradesmen, 100 smiths and 60 traders with the remaining three trades 30 each

1,750 Centaurs
(35k)
175 qualified tradesmen, 35 tradesmen of each branch

250k Total (56,250 total minions)

That gives me Five Legions of Orcs, 50 Harbors of Naga, Nine Forests of Satyrs, Five Brotherhoods of Ursiods and 7 Lances of Centaurs.

Livestock
25,000 Cattle (25k)
20,000 Chickens (10k)
10,000 Pigs (5k)
10,000 Goats (5k)

Seed & Gold
12,500 Seedbags
250,000 grams of gold (FYI that's 7,562,500 American dollars per the exchange rate ATM)

Additional Equipment
12,500 of the following
Lumber Axes (modern make)
2H- Lumber Saws
2H- Sledge Hammer
Shovels
Pickaxes
Plows
10-meter measuring spool

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Dave
Jedi Knight

Post by Dave »

The Principality of Daven
Leader: Chancellor Dave

The Principality of Daven is located on the south side of the Ohio River, in the extreme north east side of the panhandle of present-day West Virginia. The actual fortress will be located roughly two kilometers south-west of the junction of the current day Ohio/Pennsylvania/West Virgina state lines, directly west what is currently a beautiful blue lake man-made fly-ash disposal site called "Little Blue" (location linked is approximate). This gives me access to timber, arable land, and the Ohio River. According to geological survey maps, the area contains deposits of coal, iron oxide and petroleum, which will eventually form a key part of the economy of Daven. The abundant forests will provide timber for mining, boatbuilding and construction, and the cleared land can be used for agriculture of both foodstuffs and fibrous plants, the latter of which will be the other key part of the economy. Finished products of fiber crops (such as paper, rope and textiles) are be quite useful, and we hope to provide high quality products to our fellow evil overlords.

As for my manor, I'll take a copy of the Muchalls Castle in Scotland. It appears to provide both comfort and defensive abilities. I'd raise it up a bit on a hill for visibility and defense, and have it stocked with a focus on defense over comfort (but not to an extreme...) Also, I'll rename it Mandrel, in keeping with my current amusement with naming things after atomic weapons tests.

Cubic Meter of Space
Since we'll have the entire Internet (estimated to be slightly less than 500 exabytes of data) at our disposal, I won't be taking along a whole lot of books. Instead I'll be trying to gather various seed populations that can be used for industrial purposes (bamboo, flax, hemp, kenaf, etc.) and other personal items (mementos, digital camera, quilts, sci-fi books for recreational reading, etc.)

Initial Tools (7500 * 0.05)
375 -- Lumber Axes (modern make)
375 -- 2H-Lumber Saws
375 -- 2H-Sledge Hammer
375 -- Shovels
375 -- Pickaxes
375 -- Plows
375 -- 10-meter measuring spools

Gold (7500 * 5 grams)
37.5 kg of gold

Livestock (given 1500 cattle to start with and a 2:1 swap ratio for chickens, goats, pigs, and sheep)
500 cattle
500 chickens
500 goats
500 pigs
500 sheep

Minions

1 000 Goblins (1 000 pts)
These will be the grunt labor of my economy, doing the tedious jobs for farming, mining, construction, boatbuilding, textile fabrication, etc. They also work as basic infantry units.
200 of them will be part of the military.
I will be implementing a strict eugenics program for goblins (much stricter than the gentle pressure normally applied by the government), sterilizing those who exhibit exceptionally low intelligence or deformities, terminating those who show serious antisocial behavior such as extreme kleptomania (to reduce their influence on others), and promoting the breeding of those goblins that are exceptionally intelligent.

1 100 Orcs (2 200 pts)
The central part of my labor force. 400 will be part of the military.

300 Naga (900 pts)
The Marines\Navy\Coast Guard\Merchant Marines. Nagas will be working everything from amphibious assault capabilities to fishing.
200 will be part of the military.

60 Ursoids (1 800 pts)
The heavy lifters, the bodyguards, the leaders.

320 Satyrs (1 600 pts)
250 Satyrs will be teachers, engineers, scientists, doctors, technicians, historians, logistical personnel, etc.
50 Satyrs will be working on foreign and domestic relations (PR).
20 Satyrs will be my tutors, secretaries and escorts.

Other Notes on Minions
* This is not a caste system, it's a meritocracy with me at the top. If there is a goblin who is bright enough to be an engineer (however unlikely), meets all the qualifications to be an engineer, (including the ability to be trusted) and he/she/it wants to be an engineer, that's perfectly fine. Similarly, if a Satyr just wants to do grunt work and do it well, that's fine too. If a Naga wants to pull bodyguard duty or command land units, that's cool. Discrimination based on species will be sharply discouraged.
* There will be mild eugenic pressure exerted by the government. ("Would you like to be sterilized? It has all these positive benefits!")
* All civilians will undergo regular military training to keep their skills sharp.
* Education will be available for all and strongly encouraged.
* The first few years (no more than 5) I will work my minions hard to jump-start my principality and ensure sustainability. After that we can calm down and place more emphasis on the workers, rather than on the work. I'll treat them well -- after we have someplace to live.

Plans

This nation will attempt to be reasonably self-sufficient, and yet support a significant trade industry with other dark lords. Daven will also attempt to use it's trade connections to promote its primary religion: the Church of the Invisible Pink Unicorn (Peace Be Unto Her), as well as the value of logic, reason, science and engineering.

We will be planning exploratory mining and drilling just as soon as we are established, looking primarily for coal, iron and petroleum. We will be using these to pursue steam engines and, more importantly, an industrial revolution.

In addition, we are coordinating closely with the Incorporated Nation of Crossroadia to build a road between Lake Erie and the Ohio River, to provide speedy transportation between the two bodies of water. With Crossroadia's access to large limestone deposits, they will be responsible for road construction. Daven will be assisting in construction by assisting with surveying, providing civil and geological engineering expertise and teams of workers to prepare the path for the road (felling trees/pulling stumps, clearing rocks, preparing the soil for a heavy road surface to be placed on top of it, etc.). This will facilitate trade of Daven coal/iron/steel/petroleum products with Crossroadia and allow others to rapidly move goods between the Great Lakes and the Mississippi River water systems.

On natives: I wasn't planning on putting too much energy into wooing the local natives to my cause. I was planning on keeping them happy with trade and offering assistance in dealing with hostile tribes, while taking volunteers to join my forces.

Long term goal: stable society that promotes secular humanism and the advancement of technology.
Extremely long term goal: Orcs in space.