SD.Net World Redux Comment Thread IX

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Re: SD.Net World Redux Comment Thread IX

Post by MKSheppard »

CmdrWilkens wrote:Shep its the PACIFIC Union not the Cascadian Union.
Why would I want to sully the beaches of beautiful Alaska? :)
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Ryan Thunder wrote:
Beowulf wrote:Project much?
This, coming from the guy who inflated the Costas' ORBAT up to ridiculous levels and then proceeded to dictate the actions of other player armies that were not under his control so he could do more damage? That's rich. :D
Because an aircraft carrier and 112 very high performance soviet interceptors ideal pieces of an nation's military? *kill-filed*

EDIT: forgot to mention: I even put this past the Master Baerne when he put his Costa OOB up, and he approved of it. So fuck off and die.
Last edited by Beowulf on 2009-09-14 11:45pm, edited 1 time in total.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

MKSheppard wrote:
Why would I want to sully the beaches of beautiful Alaska? :)
Because the nation is the Pacific Union even if the place where the oil is spilling happens to be what used to be Cascadia.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

My Characters Insomnia for the save!

Also - I mentioned the drones at the start of the game.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Stas Bush wrote:You don't really need to be "afraid" of CATO, you should just remember that picking fights with us will bring endgame.
Good thing Ryan isn't CATO, huh? :P

Ryan wrote:Well, I do think you're a moron and a terrible roleplayer. Your take on the strategic situation would go right in line with that assessment.
Somebody call me a WAH-bulance.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Lonestar wrote:
Stas Bush wrote:You don't really need to be "afraid" of CATO, you should just remember that picking fights with us will bring endgame.
Good thing Ryan isn't CATO, huh? :P
Where the hell do you think I got my nukes from in such a short period of time?
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Ryan Thunder wrote: Where the hell do you think I got my nukes from in such a short period of time?
Then you might want to update your organizational page on Wiki. :D
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Lonestar wrote:
Ryan Thunder wrote: Where the hell do you think I got my nukes from in such a short period of time?
Then you might want to update your organizational page on Wiki. :D
The missile carriers have been there for fuckin ages, man. :P
the goddamned wiki wrote:648 × M-3 Grizzly main battle tanks
1 × M-x3A Gatling Grizzly close-air defenders
180 × M-2A Spitting Cobra self-propelled multiple rocket launchers
240 × M-5 Interceptor self-propelled air defenders (540 planned)
1 × air defense regiment (2 planned)
2 × independent air defense battalions
75 × M-19 Harbinger theatre ballistic missile carriers (90 planned)
2 × missile battalions
3 × independent missile batteries

[...]
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Ryan Thunder wrote: The missile carriers have been there for fuckin ages, man. :P
Alright, let me clarify:

YOU ARE NOT LISTED AS A CATO MEMBER.
Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Post by Czechmate »

I doff my pickelhaube to the second third leader to pass away! And then immediately replace it with my kevlar field helmet because there are nefarious Polarians watching.

Always watching.

Watching.

Forever.

D:
tiny friendly crab.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

I thought the International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships stipulates that oil tankers must be double hulled, or at least the new ones from a certain date. In general, the newer oil tankers are double hulled.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:I thought the International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships stipulates that oil tankers must be double hulled, or at least the new ones from a certain date. In general, the newer oil tankers are double hulled.

Did we have anything like that though?
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Lonestar wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:I thought the International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships stipulates that oil tankers must be double hulled, or at least the new ones from a certain date. In general, the newer oil tankers are double hulled.

Did we have anything like that though?
Well, no. Though I am not too sure how many international conventions we chose to adopt or not adopt. In all technicality, there's no law of the sea, or anything like that.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Didn't we all pretty much agree that every widely adopted treaty before 1940 existed in this world as well, or somesuch? Granted that won't include double-hulled oil tankers...
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Siege wrote:Didn't we all pretty much agree that every widely adopted treaty before 1940 existed in this world as well, or somesuch? Granted that won't include double-hulled oil tankers...
No, it wouldn't. I think there's an agreement that something like the Hague Convention exists, but no "Outer Space Treaties" or anti-proliferation treaties.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

That's because we didn't have nukes or space programs, while it's reasonable to assume oil tankers existed in the game before.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

PeZook wrote:That's because we didn't have nukes or space programs, while it's reasonable to assume oil tankers existed in the game before.

Yeah, but so far as I know we don't even a law of the sea signed.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

That's probably we argued about the convention in the past, right?

I think we've been over the matter a few times already...

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

PeZook wrote:That's probably we argued about the convention in the past, right?

I think we've been over the matter a few times already...

Fine,I don't think we have any international environmental agreements either. :P
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

*throws arms up in disgust*

I shall demand you present your country's entire civil, criminal, trade and occupational law code, otherwise I will consider it nonexistant :P

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

PeZook wrote:*throws arms up in disgust*

I shall demand you present your country's entire civil, criminal, trade and occupational law code, otherwise I will consider it nonexistant :P

The difference being one is internal to the country and one is international. :P
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Yeah, I think we agreed that pre-1940 stuff was brought in. Anything after that was on us.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Siege wrote:Didn't we all pretty much agree that every widely adopted treaty before 1940 existed in this world as well, or somesuch? Granted that won't include double-hulled oil tankers...
Okay what I requested, and was generally agreed upon at the time, was the all pre-1945 international treaties were in force in our world. This would include the Geneva conventions, the Hauge Conventions, Declaration of Paris and some of the early work on copyrights, extradition, and the like.

Since that time we've definately haggled over the Law of the Sea and Outer Space. My rough guess would be that if we extended the treaty date up to about 1970 we'd be okay (the current UNCOLOS replaced an existing conglomeration of several 1958 treaties which contain the real meat of international maritime law though they didn't go in to fore until the early 60s).

Certainly the objections to Lonestar's closing of the Impact Crater Archipelago to international traffic is based on a post 1945 treaty interpretation so the game has sort of shifted towards recognizing work up to that point. The thing is the later w define things the more likely it is that we are going to shoot ourselves in the foot by having folks be in violation of either the space weapons ban, the limited (and also comprehensive) test ban, and several other conventions of the last several decades.

I think going forward the best way to act is that:

A) everything pre 1945 is in force
B) everything post-1945 represents governing law SOMEWHERE
- In other words just as American and British admiralty courts cited each other before the law of the sea began to have force of treaty we should regard more modern treaties as having force of law somewhere BUT not being immutable international law.
- In turn this means that actions in violations of more modern treaties would not necessarily hold up they are open to much more leeway in particular if there is an IC justifiable reason for a given nation not to recognize the law (see Japanistan and weapons in space).
C) Any dispute which would takes place in an international arena should be submitted either to Steve as mod or to an unaligned party to either side of the dispute (thus a Japanistan-Wilkonia dispute could be sent to Steve, Phong, PeZook or any CATO member but no MESS member)

Anyway that is my recommendation.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I'm curious, actually, as to why a Japanistani tanker was off my coast when North America has a ready supplier of oil in Alaska? A cheaper supply than provided by trans-Pacific shipping from a country we're not too friendly with?
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Also this came out of nowhere so if it goes un-modded I'm gonna write up a WIN/WCGS incident response for tomorrow morning.
I suspect Shep chose me as the unfortunate one because I am the mod and I can't so easily hammer the post without accusations of powergaming for my personal benefit.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED