Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Steve
Emperor's Hand

SDN World 3 Ruleset

Post by Steve »

Just for everyone's benefit:

http://sdnworld.wikia.com/wiki/SDN_World_3_Ruleset

Go ahead and start directing questions about it here, that way I can keep an eye on queries and my replies so we don't get wires crossed. :)
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Re: SDN World 3 Ruleset

Post by Steve »

Okay, an announcement. I'm not going to count a warship's pair or so of seaplanes against your Air Focus total.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Steve wrote:Okay, an announcement. I'm not going to count a warship's pair or so of seaplanes against your Air Focus total.
excellent - that gives me several planes more to play with :-)

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Note that this does not extend to carrier air-wings. They must come from Air Focus totals.

Also, early fleet carriers from converted battlecruisers are not so realistic without a WNT, but I'll allow them if they're still being converted as of game start. Just don't try to use them as WWII-style assets or your air wings may not last very long.

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

To clarify....

After some consideration, I'm thinking that once a ship's construction phase is over, its IBP cost crops to only 5% its full cost, reflecting the labor and work still needed to fit the ship together, plus stuff like hydrophones and sonar. IOW, a 10 point cruiser would drop to .5.

It was initially going to be 10% but I think that's excessive.

Note that it still takes up yard space (in the case of capital ships, it's presumed drydocks and fitting piers are proportional to slips).

Norseman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norseman »

Question: When you say this takes up yard space does that mean that my 1923s (not done before 1926) hold up two slipways? Since I wanted to start building four ships rather than just two :(
Norseman's Fics the SD archive of my fics.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Norseman wrote:Question: When you say this takes up yard space does that mean that my 1923s (not done before 1926) hold up two slipways? Since I wanted to start building four ships rather than just two :(
I wrote:
Note that it still takes up yard space (in the case of capital ships, it's presumed drydocks and fitting piers are proportional to slips).
I wouldn't have said that if it still took up slips. It's off the slip in two years, at the end of the construction phase.

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

SpringSharp has irritated me for the last time over destroyers. If you make a destroyer off a historical one, use horsepower, not speed, to determine engine weight and size (as in, use Springsharp 3b3 and lock power, then recalc speed until it does so, after you finish designing your ship - stick to historic hp ratings). Once you've done so, ignore the speed SpringSharp gives you and consult the historic example/examples you're using. Inform me, RogueIce, or Timothy of the historic displacements, hp, and speed, and the one SpringSharp's giving you, and we'll give you a proper speed instead of what SpringSharp says.

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

For those trying to reach me, I have now put my AIM account up. PMing is still the best way to reach me, but if you need a response sooner, go ahead and try. :)
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I know everyone's taking to using IBPs as "currency", but the only important thing is to not exceed your IBP total at any given time. If you're building more than your total (300, 400, whichever) at any given time we will RP delays for you.

Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

EDIT: I'm an idiot...
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum