Post by Master_Baerne »

By all means, then, take them.

EDIT: Shady, you and your Shadow Empire! :D
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
RogueIce
_______

Re: SDN Wars: A Galaxy Divided: OOC

Post by RogueIce »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:The same could be said of Any ship greater than 1km in length. We have only shipyards up to 1km in length remember?
True. Perhaps we could open up the 1600km ones.

I dunno, throwing Star Dreadnoughts into the mix at the start just feels like emphasizing wars and such, which there is a consensus is not the main point of the game. Given what a bitch they probably are to take down, I suppose it'd be a wee bit imbalancing. Since most of us seem to be under ten planets, total.

I figure, by the time anyone gets to the 5 or whatever Major Worlds is required to build those things, we should probably have a better feel for how we're playing the game and it'd be better to wait until then, rather than just include them now.

Most importantly, a relative feel for "power level" (scale?) or however you want to put it. IE: a semi-EU feel, where squadrons of fighters can threaten some capital ships in enough numbers? Or the sort of scale the PSW enthusiasts normally go for? The latter, quite frankly, being out of my 'comfort zone' because most of my exposure was to the EU.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

RogueIce wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:The same could be said of Any ship greater than 1km in length. We have only shipyards up to 1km in length remember?
True. Perhaps we could open up the 1600km ones.

I dunno, throwing Star Dreadnoughts into the mix at the start just feels like emphasizing wars and such, which there is a consensus is not the main point of the game. Given what a bitch they probably are to take down, I suppose it'd be a wee bit imbalancing. Since most of us seem to be under ten planets, total.

I figure, by the time anyone gets to the 5 or whatever Major Worlds is required to build those things, we should probably have a better feel for how we're playing the game and it'd be better to wait until then, rather than just include them now.

Most importantly, a relative feel for "power level" (scale?) or however you want to put it. IE: a semi-EU feel, where squadrons of fighters can threaten some capital ships in enough numbers? Or the sort of scale the PSW enthusiasts normally go for? The latter, quite frankly, being out of my 'comfort zone' because most of my exposure was to the EU.
I'm willing to forfeit the Star Dreadnaughts at the start of the game really. Currently, one needs about 5 Major worlds to be able to construct these things. The question is whether or not that is enough. BUt I would prefer a non-EU feel where.. fighters could be a threat a la Stackpole.

And yeah, perhaps we should open up shipyards up to 2000m or more. Seeing that some among us feel like having Allegiance class ships which are about that length.

Could we have some Tector SDs though? I notcied they aren't on the list.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:I'm willing to forfeit the Star Dreadnaughts at the start of the game really. Currently, one needs about 5 Major worlds to be able to construct these things.
Well, when we get there we could always say, "No it's not" and bump it up if we felt there was a good consensus for it.

If the game lasts awhile (certainly the five years or whatever of the SpaceBattles version) Star Dreadnoughts will happen, sooner or later. Though we can always decide when that moment comes for ourselves.
The question is whether or not that is enough. BUt I would prefer a non-EU feel where.. fighters could be a threat a la Stackpole.
Little confused here. EU feel would be Stackpole's "fighters are a threat" wouldn't it? Granted he and Allston seemed to be the only ones who went into detail like that.

I like it because, for me, it's easier to write for. I have no problem in principle with the upper-level PSW crowd, but it would be more difficult for me to write on if we want the big technological scale.

Plus, I like my heroic X-wing jokes making runs on Star Destroyers. It appeals to me. :)

And yeah, perhaps we should open up shipyards up to 2000m or more. Seeing that some among us feel like having Allegiance class ships which are about that length.
True.
Could we have some Tector SDs though? I notcied they aren't on the list.
Probably. Even with the supposedly non-SB designs off the list, I'm unclear on what some of those designs are, especially in the TIE listings and some of the Star Destroyers (Overlords?).
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

I prefer modified Aaron Allston where fighters can gum a cruiser or higher level cap-ship by going for local shield penetrations and seeking to wipe out weapon instillation and turn a Capital ship into a un-armed heavily armored frieghter. Also fighters being used to "keep em honest" so Capital ships can not angle shields but be forced to maintain 360 shield coverage least a ship captain be able to leave the side away from the enemy shield less to make his threaten sided that better protected.

Thus Capital ship combat without fighters/bombers becomes a slugging dance off which each side aims to point as many guns at the enemy as possible while giving him as little as possible to shot at. However with no fighters the options become much more flexible as each side aims to curve inside the other and increase the amount of threatened area and to keep hitting the same side of the ship.

Large enough fighter/bomber squadrons can bring down shields on their own however it is temporary and location specific. And ships can quickly(few minutes) to rebuild those shields and get another salvo into the ship possibly causing massive damage, without anti-ship torpedo's however a fighter can never kill a Capital ship. And thus when one Cap-ship shoots another and that shield failure happens, considering turbo laser strength, it's all over but the crying as the next shots tear holes through the hull while a torpedo spread will be much less uniformed and much less strength.

Make sense?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

Master_Baerne wrote: EDIT: Shady, you and your Shadow Empire! :D
:D

What can I say? I love playing the bad guy. :twisted:

Also: Guys, I want the leader of my Empire to be a Sith Lord. Anyone have a problem with that? We never agreed on the whole jedi/sith thing.
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

That's okay with me. Just no battle meditation.
Conversion Table:

Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

Master_Baerne wrote:That's okay with me. Just no battle meditation.
I'm not gonna use him in some wanktastic way to win battles or anything. Just for the awesome factor of having a Sith Lord Emperor. :D
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

Jolly good. Be aware, though, my own Emperor thinks that having Sith rulers more concerned with their own arcane techniques than with the state of the galaxy is what caused the downfall of the Galactic Empire.
Conversion Table:

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Master_Baerne wrote:Jolly good. Be aware, though, my own Emperor thinks that having Sith rulers more concerned with their own arcane techniques than with the state of the galaxy is what caused the downfall of the Galactic Empire.
My own Emperor thinks that the best way to ensure peace is to follow the Revan way...
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

My leaders believe that the sith are to be blamed for the downfall of the empire and do not like sith a lot.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

How many fighters does any Allegiance-class carry?
Conversion Table:

DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

Well then, this should make for quite an interesting political situation. :D
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Master_Baerne wrote:How many fighters does any Allegiance-class carry?
Standard Super Star Destroyers are clocked in at 144, however Allegiance class per wookie is bigger than a standard Star Destroyer, but smaller than an SSD. However unlike an SSD the allegiance is not a dedicated fleet carrier so no main large docking pays. It's speculated it has a Lusankya style side launching bays only which means each bay is it's own fighter squadron.

So say... 120? Five fighter bays along the side plus two main-bays for caring assault shuttles and light transports. Being a command ship it's AT/AT free.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

Thanks!
Conversion Table:

Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

This was what we used at SB.com, but it was a guess since there's not a lot of info on the Allegiance. We just treated it as an uprated ISD used primarily as a C3I ship.

Allegiance class Star Destroyer/Command Ship:

Name: Allegiance
Class: Star Destroyer
Type/Model: Deep Space Combat/Command Vessel

Dimensions:
Length: 2200 Meters
Width: 800 Meters
Height: 350 Meters

Crew: 51,500;
500 Gunners
500 Hangar Bay Technicians
20,000 (1 division) Ground Assault Personnel and Crews
5,000 General Technicians and Engineers
20,000 Utility Droids
100 Officers
5,000 Crewers

Defenses:
2 Novaldex Shield Generators/Projectors
Heavily Reinforced Durasteel Armour
Shields: 8000 SBD
Hull: 3100 RU

Powerplant:
1 KDY Large Reactor Core (50% power to propulsion, 25% to weapons, 20% to shields, 5% to life support systems)
2 Rerouter Stations
(each one can rerout up to 10% power from one area to another in a matter of seconds without burnout or overloards occuring)

Propulsion:
3 KDY SD Line Drive Engines
1 KDY Capital Ship Grade Hyperdrive
Hyperdrive Rating: Class 1
Sublight: 12 MGLT

Complement:
2 Squadrons + 1flight
4 Sentinel Assault Shuttles
10 Stormtrooper/War Droid Barges

Ground Assault:
20 AT-AT Walkers
30 AT-ST Walkers
10 XR-87 Tank Droids
20 AT-AA Walkers
10 MT-AT Walkers
12,000 Stormtroopers

-OR-
Passenger/Troop Capacity:
In lieu of walkers, maximum troop capacity is 2 divisions totalling 40,000 troops.

Armament:
90 Heavy Turbolaser Batteries

90 Heavy Turbolaser Cannons

50 Ion Cannons

15 Tractor Beam Projectors

5 Torpedo tubes

Special Systems:
Advanced Communications and Jamming Array: Situated on the Command Tower, the Advanced Communications array allows for holonet messages, and the ability to be in contact with up to ten different ground or naval commanders, in either audio or holo form at any one time. The Jamming array can either be used to pierce jamming signals the enemy emitters, or can jam enemy systems themselves.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Mr Bean wrote:What is the status of Coruscant? Rubble field? Magma-town? A dieing world surrounded by the slowly de-orbiting hulks of star-ships?

Large parts of it are virtually untouched, while large parts of it are rendered uninhabitable. It's still a living world with population, but they're having a rough go of it right now. Sometimes, bigger starship chunks impact the surface, what the remaining defense stations cannot vape first.

Coruscant is a charity case right now, but if someone adopted it and started cleaning it up, it would eventually be restored to it;s former glory. If no one lifts a finger, it'll gradually pick itself back up, but it'll take longer, and it'll be a place of depression, refugees, and hard economic times.
Last edited by Coyote on 2009-05-14 04:37pm, edited 1 time in total.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

No problem with Tectors; I don't know why those never got listed. Probably due to a lack of data.

Originally, we put heavy fleet yards off-limits so that people couldn't start the gamne by spamming Star Destroyers; it also reflected the liklihood that shipyards capable of putting out heavy warships were targted for either destruction or sabotage by all sides. They had to be rebuilt, making things like Star Destroyers precious, valuable assets to start with.

But we can open up heavy yards if we want.

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:
Master_Baerne wrote:Jolly good. Be aware, though, my own Emperor thinks that having Sith rulers more concerned with their own arcane techniques than with the state of the galaxy is what caused the downfall of the Galactic Empire.
My own Emperor thinks that the best way to ensure peace is to follow the Revan way...
I'm not familiar with KOTOR, so what's the Revan way?

Anyway, my Empire is probably not going to like Jedi much (unless everybody and their grandmother starts having them, since I don't want to be a pariah), probably blaming them (even the good guys...hey, it takes two to tango!) for the state of the galaxy. In probably a similar way to Baerne and Thanas.

So there will be likely a good deal of anti-Jedi sentiment. Though my Emperor might be willing to overlook that (at least in a backroom, hush-hush kind of way) if the offer is good enough. :wink:

Or I may change that. Since there are some at least anti-Sith people around I could probably keep it up. Though keep in mind mine is anti-Jedi in general, including but not limited to Sith.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Coyote wrote:
Mr Bean wrote:What is the status of Coruscant? Rubble field? Magma-town? A dieing world surrounded by the slowly de-orbiting hulks of star-ships?

Large parts of it are virtually untouched, while large parts of it are rendered uninhabitable. It's still a living world with population, but they'r ehaving a rough go of it right now. Somewtimes, bigger starship chunks impact the surface, what the remaining defense stations cannot vape first.

Coruscant is a charity case right now, but if someone adopted it and started cleaning it up, it would eventually be restored to it;s former glory. If no one lifts a finger, it'll gradually pick itself back up, but it'll take longer, and it'll be a place of depression, refugees, and hard economic times.

In that case, I'll take it. My faction is prone to adopt charity cases.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Thanas wrote:
Coyote wrote:Coruscant is a charity case right now, but if someone adopted it and started cleaning it up, it would eventually be restored to it;s former glory. If no one lifts a finger, it'll gradually pick itself back up, but it'll take longer, and it'll be a place of depression, refugees, and hard economic times.

Don't be too quick on that. Coruscant being a place of depression, refugees, and hard economic times, as well as the "scarred city" is a pretty cool dynamic. I might like to play with that a bit, and perhaps others would too?

Not saying don't do anything there. Heck you might even work alongside me, because I'd be a kinder, gentler Empire. Just don't fix it up too fast. Leave some GRIMDARK for us for a bit. :wink:

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

RogueIce wrote:
Thanas wrote:
Coyote wrote:Coruscant is a charity case right now, but if someone adopted it and started cleaning it up, it would eventually be restored to it;s former glory. If no one lifts a finger, it'll gradually pick itself back up, but it'll take longer, and it'll be a place of depression, refugees, and hard economic times.

Don't be too quick on that. Coruscant being a place of depression, refugees, and hard economic times, as well as the "scarred city" is a pretty cool dynamic. I might like to play with that a bit, and perhaps others would too?

Not saying don't do anything there. Heck you might even work alongside me, because I'd be a kinder, gentler Empire. Just don't fix it up too fast. Leave some GRIMDARK for us for a bit. :wink:

Oh, I'll claim it alright but I don't think I'll be able to fix it up real soon. That will take several years, as I have other problems in my empire to fix as well.
------------
------------
My LPs
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Should we charge points for Jedi & Sith?

Say...

10 points for a Padawan or Dark Apprentice
15 points for a Knight
20 points for a Master?

That'll keep Jedi proiliferation down a bit.

Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Story thread posted; let's keep up the momentum. If we sit around and hack out rules for weeks, it'll wither. If there's something you are not sure about because it isn't covered in the rules yet, keep it vague and make no soilid statements until the issue is clarified. Otherwise, let's start building.

DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

Coyote wrote:Story thread posted; let's keep up the momentum. If we sit around and hack out rules for weeks, it'll wither. If there's something you are not sure about because it isn't covered in the rules yet, keep it vague and make no soilid statements until the issue is clarified. Otherwise, let's start building.
Damn it Mang, I havent't finished my OOB yet. I'm such a lazy bastard sometimes. *grumbles*

:P
Coyote wrote:Should we charge points for Jedi & Sith?

Say...

10 points for a Padawan or Dark Apprentice
15 points for a Knight
20 points for a Master?

That'll keep Jedi proiliferation down a bit.
This works for me. I'll get a master and a knight to serves as a General.

Arise Lord *insert Sith name here* :D