SDN Wars: A Galaxy Divided: OOC

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Re: SDN Wars: A Galaxy Divided: OOC

Post by DarthShady »

Fin I am ready to receive your ambassador. :)

Also: Introductory post is up, a bit rushed but who cares.

I still need to finish up my OOB, but I'm getting there.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I likewise need to finish my OOB, but there's some stuff I'm not sure about. For example, last I checked, the ship list didn't include a point value for a lot of the freighters/transports.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I likewise need to finish my OOB, but there's some stuff I'm not sure about. For example, last I checked, the ship list didn't include a point value for a lot of the freighters/transports.
They don't. That's intentional. You have "what makes sense" for those.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

A quick note - Master Bearne and myself have come to a solution regarding Anaxes and Axum.

If Coyote gives his OK to my OOB, I can start.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

RogueIce wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:I likewise need to finish my OOB, but there's some stuff I'm not sure about. For example, last I checked, the ship list didn't include a point value for a lot of the freighters/transports.
They don't. That's intentional. You have "what makes sense" for those.
And what happens when one person prices the same ship twice as much as someone else?

Well, I'll go ahead and finish it then.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Have we decided on economy rules?
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I don't think so, no.

Come to think of it, we didn't think about a lot of rules, for example diplomacy etc.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

Guys, let's not get too carried away with the rules. Too many rules are bad in my opinion.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

DarthShady wrote:Guys, let's not get too carried away with the rules. Too many rules are bad in my opinion.
Well, you don't want someone to go build 1000 shipyards and then out comes 1000 ISDs in 1 year.
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Another question:

Assuming I bought 1 shipyard and 1 ship at the start of the game.

Does this mean the ship is already finished and the shipyard is ready for new orders or do I have to wait for it in order to be completed to place new orders?

I get that constructing new ships will cost me points, but how often are these replenished? As soon as the original building jobs are complete, do the points become available again Or is it a yearly value?

My apologies if these questions sound dumbfounded, but it has been several years since my last "roleplay" campaign and this link is somewhat incomprehensible to me regarding that. I get the rest, but somehow my major headache is preventing me from understanding the production points allotment.
------------
------------
My LPs
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

DarthShady wrote:Guys, let's not get too carried away with the rules. Too many rules are bad in my opinion.
I second this. Its hard enough to keep track of the rules we definitely have, never mind all the ones we're arguing over.
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:
Well, you don't want someone to go build 1000 shipyards and then out comes 1000 ISDs in 1 year.
I didn't mean we don't need rules. I just meant we shouldn't have too many of them. Certain rules are a necessity to prevent what you described, from happening. But to many rules only complicates things and will give everyone an unnecessary headache.
Thanas wrote:Does this mean the ship is already finished and the shipyard is ready for new orders or do I have to wait for it in order to be completed to place new orders?
I would assume the ship is finished, it doesn't make sense otherwise. If we had to wait, we would all be starting with zero ships.
I get that constructing new ships will cost me points, but how often are these replenished? As soon as the original building jobs are complete, do the points become available again Or is it a yearly value?
This question interests me as well. I'm guessing that it will work in such a way that while your shipyard builds one ship, it cannot begin work on others, until that one is completed. Perhaps the points are replenished, as you say, yearly? Or it could be that the points are used only at the start of the game, and all new construction is based on time. I think we need Coyote to answer this one.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Quick question: is Korriban taken? If not, I might be interested in playing as a bunch of secretive dark side guys... Give Shady a run for his money, perhaps :D.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

I feel like being a Sith myself. Just that I haven't decided on my OOB yet.

EDIT: Are there any associated points for the scout ships in the non-aligned ship list? Otherwise, I will be employing a few of these.
Kreia
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

SiegeTank wrote:Quick question: is Korriban taken? If not, I might be interested in playing as a bunch of secretive dark side guys... Give Shady a run for his money, perhaps :D.
Hmmm...a little competition? This should prove...interesting. :D

Of course, there is also an alternative, together(plus Fin if he's interested) we can form the Sith Alliance and rule the galaxy! *evil laugh* :twisted:
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

And look how well that turned out the last time.
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

Master_Baerne wrote:And look how well that turned out the last time.
I find your lack of faith disturbing.

:lol:
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

I should've seen that coming...
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

Master_Baerne wrote:And look how well that turned out the last time.
::Sigh:: I'll start drafting the Declaration of Rebellion, or whatever.
This is an empty country and I am it's king, and I should not be allowed to touch anything.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Sith Alliance...no way my faction is going to stand for it. We may deal with select sith worlds, but an alliance spanning several nations?

Bearne, I'll be with you in case that happens.
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

BTW, does anyone have a problem with me using my namesake, Pter Thanas and his family as well as the D'Astas as characters? They are standard characters without any Thrawn level of wank and I'd really love to play them.
------------
------------
My LPs
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

DarthShady wrote:Of course, there is also an alternative, together(plus Fin if he's interested) we can form the Sith Alliance and rule the galaxy! *evil laugh* :twisted:
We could play it as an alliance of convenience, filled with equal parts working together and backstabbery. It's the Sith way!

Of course, no-one is supposed to know at this stage that there even is a Sith Empire hidden on Korriban. At best you'd be thinking you're getting into an alliance with one dude on the other side of the galaxy :D.
Thanas wrote:BTW, does anyone have a problem with me using my namesake, Pter Thanas and his family as well as the D'Astas as characters? They are standard characters without any Thrawn level of wank and I'd really love to play them.
I've no objections to that.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

This goes back to a question of scale. Since we're using semi-EU mechanics for combat, we'll probably go with that for technological level and general power scales. So not up in the high end of PSW talk, but not "1 ISD is the most powerful ship, ever" either.

At any rate, assuming nobody tries to be a powergaming asshole, we shouldn't have the 1000 ISDs/year problem. If we do, I would assume the Mods would have some catastrophic accidents happen amongst those 1000 shipyards. With lots of damage and loss of life. Very tragic, but that's what happens when you try to over extend yourself and lack the money to hire and train enough skilled workers/build good droids.

Speaking of Mods, since I didn't see anyone else volunteering, any objections to me and Shady being Mods, with Coyote being overall High Mod/Tiebreaker Mod?

Although if we must have rules for this, which we probably shouldn't bother with unless it becomes a problem, we could limit number and types of shipyards according to level and number of planets. Which is sort of the case withStar Dreadnoughts and similar ships, so there is a sort-of mechanism in place. But I'd rather cross that bridge when we get to it, instead of declaring it now.

In other news:
DarthShady wrote:
SiegeTank wrote:Quick question: is Korriban taken? If not, I might be interested in playing as a bunch of secretive dark side guys... Give Shady a run for his money, perhaps :D.
Hmmm...a little competition? This should prove...interesting. :D

Of course, there is also an alternative, together(plus Fin if he's interested) we can form the Sith Alliance and rule the galaxy! *evil laugh* :twisted:
You're going to have a lot of people gunning for you when it gets out, Imperial and Republic alike (Seperatists too, since they've probably figured out Sidious screwed them back in the day). I don't think Sith are very popular right now. :wink:
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I would say that we have a yearly budget of points according to our worlds to spend. That would stop powergaming dead cold as none of us can crank out 100 shipyards per annum and of course nobody can build that many ships with our limited shipyard capability.

So points to spend and of course time for construction allotted is my solution.

If nobody else wants the job, I'd be perfectly willing to play bean counter.
------------
------------
My LPs
darthkommandant
Padawan Learner

Post by darthkommandant »

Lets just say that my faction does not like the sith all that much. That of course does not mean that business cannot be conducted with them though. :twisted:
Tiger II fanboy