SDN Wars: A Galaxy Divided: OOC

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Siege
Sith Marauder

Re: SDN Wars: A Galaxy Divided: OOC

Post by Siege »

I'd like to point out that a military victory over the Pragmatic League is indeed within easy grasp of the CORE Alliance, but if you actually were to start annihilating orbital infrastructure or, Force forbid, melting planets, you can rest assured that you will suffer catastrophic PR damage. Annihilating a much smaller New Republic faction that isn't even a proper threat just like that? Your press won't get much worse than that unless you start eating puppies on live HoloNet. By rights every fence-sitter in the galaxy should do a spit-take and assume you're the Empire reborn. Maybe the Corellians won't care about that, I don't know, but I'm pretty sure the Imperial Remnant is supposed to have large numbers of people in it who don't exactly like the way the Empire used to willy-nilly BDZ worlds left, right and center. If the Alliance were to engage in similar excesses, well, I'd expect a backlash of pretty epic proportions.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Thirdfain
The Player of Games
Location: Never underestimate the staggering drawing power of the Garden State.

Post by Thirdfain »

Siege, I think you have a pretty clear grasp of my strategy right there.

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite.
John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - )
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

PR damage, however, is much more survivable than the turbolaser-induced variety. It isn't so much about whether or not we'd actually destroy the Pragmatic League, as about the fact that we could, which I for one intend to remind the New Republic remnant of every chance I get to ensure cooperation and general respect.
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Turbolasers are not 18th century cannonballs. If I want to melt a factory down from orbit it can be done and done easily. There's no fall-out, no serious environmental repercussions or lasting damage. A raid that blows up Thirdfain's Sullustan infrastructure in orbit is not going to cause a massive out-cry. Smashing the orbitals and the fleet does not even harm the civilian infrastructure of Sullustain since any space station will be equipped with at least escape pods if not shuttles

*Edit
That is to say, Stardocks and his fleet facilities would be military objectives. If an attack was conducted and we BDZ Thirdfain then yes massive outcry would be likely. But if one side declares war on the other, and that side moves in, smashs his fleets and his ability to build more and leaves what's the out-cry? How dare you attack that world destroy their military and leave? You act as our press release would be i Hurr Hurr Empire 4 eva bitches instead of simply pointing out the obvious that they declare war on us were we supposed to do nothing? Or in true Imperial fashion, annouce that Thirdfain had in fact attacked a convoy of Core refugee's and eaten all of their puppies.

This is not Earth, more over this is not the Empire, any out-cry or condimination has to travel by ship since the Holonet is down. If an enemy flys in an BDZ Courscant, I won't even know about it for a day or so let alone the rim. So how can there be a giant out-cry without excellent communciation? (Which FYI I remind you, we don't have, only the Core has anything close and that's only because most of our alliance is pretty close to each other. Ships headed outside of the Core itself fall into the same situation of having to use the smaller ships as couriers.)

Hell even with the Holonet there were entire sectors of the rim that did not learn of the Death Star's and the death of the Emperor for over a year.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Thirdfain
The Player of Games
Location: Never underestimate the staggering drawing power of the Garden State.

Post by Thirdfain »

The propaganda results of a full Imperial attack on a Republic world, regardless of the style of attack, would be devastating. Especially considering that the entire theme of the Remnant and CORE is based on the assertion that the New New Order is all about negotiation and respect for non-Imperial governance. The Remnant's new plan works because it brings republic-loyal forces and Imperial forces in under one roof- a fact which Thanas seems to accept, as evinced by every policy he's pursued so far.

Engaging in open warfare with the obstinant Republic remnant, even if you don't BDZ a thing, would provide a great propaganda victory- a chance for everyone from the Sith to myself to say "Look at this. Business as usual for the Empire. They crush their opponents with firepower, and are destroying the Senate via military might."

On top of any difficulties in that field, your suggested strategy for the destruction of the League makes one incorrect assumption which doesn't invalidate the whole plan, but would lead

1. To the destruction of a large segment of an Imperial military force attacking based on your suggested plan, and
2. To the survival of the majority of the republic fleet.

Here's today's exercise. What is the assumption in Mr. Bean's plan which may not be true, and what fundamental rule of military planning does his plan violate? A cookie for the player who figures out either one. Double cookie for figuring out something I haven't.

Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite.
John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - )
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Kartr_Kana wrote:I went ahead and added completion dates to all of my production not just the stuff over a year. My next chronological year will start on November 25th. Dated from when I made my first post September 2nd.

10xResupply stations = October 28th
4x1300m Repair yards = November 25th
1xOrbiting Repair Yard Type II 2500m = October 28th
3xSpace Dock class I 5000m = December 23rd
1xSpace Dock class II = Feb 17th 2010

Medium Cruiser research 8x6pts = Feb 17th 2010

1x2200m Shipyard = Dec 23rd

10xGladiator-class Cruisers, 4@Alsakan(2x1000m shipyards), 3@Arkania and Onderon (2x1000m shipyards and 2x800m shipyards between them) = October 28th

3.5xWings of TIE Interceptors @ Mechis III (4x200m shipyards) = How long do fighters take to build?

Fighters take a reasonable amount to built. A ballpark figure would be about two-four months, methinks.

As for your timetable, it is good that you made the effort, but when we mods (Shady, RogueIce and me) figured out the timetable, we decided that due to this being the starting year, we would decide when to stop the first year over PM and aimed for a general figure of the end of september/star of oktober. All production that takes one year would then be completed.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Mr Bean wrote:But if one side declares war on the other, and that side moves in, smashs his fleets and his ability to build more and leaves what's the out-cry?
Here's the thing: no-one is going to declare war, because technically no peace treaty was ever signed. So what would actually be happening, at least insofar as the galaxy at large is concerned, is that after two years plus of relative peace and quiet - a de-facto cease fire, if you will - the recently formed CORE Alliance suddenly decides to rampage around near-Sullust orbit.

So with preciously little warning - after all those diplomatic chats are far from public - a huge alliance of Imperial successor states begins dismantling a New Republic faction. And you say this ought not to result in your public image getting shot to flaming pieces? Maybe that's how they do things in the Core, but out here on the Rim that is most certainly cause for some serious concern.

As for your remark about spinning it through propaganda -- come on, who apart from maybe your home audience is seriously going to believe you? We've all been through the Empire, we know how they did things... If you were to engage in their sort of blatant whitewashing of aggression you'd make yourself look worse, not better.

Yeah, I'm with Thirdfain on this one. Regardless of the type of attack you mount, afterward any attempt to come off as pursuing goals like peace or mutual coexistence will look hypocritical at best, and a dastardly attempt to pull the wool over the eyes of the galaxy at worst.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Thirdfain wrote:The propaganda results of a full Imperial attack on a Republic world, regardless of the style of attack, would be devastating. Especially considering that the entire theme of the Remnant and CORE is based on the assertion that the New New Order is all about negotiation and respect for non-Imperial governance. The Remnant's new plan works because it brings republic-loyal forces and Imperial forces in under one roof- a fact which Thanas seems to accept, as evinced by every policy he's pursued so far.
You are correct - a large part of my populace is republican, as are the planets Bakura, Timora and Ryloth, with huge sympathisers among my core worlds, though they are a minority. Only Ord Cantrell and Nez Peron are nearly 100% Imperial.

However - there is a reason I sent a Bakuran to you. I'll reveal more in IC.

EDIT: I'd also like to point out the following factions have holonet capability (trading it from Windcaller corp, a Remnannt company owned by holonet magnate Mahd Windcaller), but I cannot remember offhand how many stations they built:
- The Remnant
- The second Corellian empire
- The Bothan Confederacy
- The Cultural Union
- The Neimoidians
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

Speaking of which, how much would it cost to set myself up with Holonet access?
Conversion Table:

Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

As the Remnant sells stations to allies at cost, 25 points per station. If your worlds are grouped together closely, one station should suffice.
------------
------------
My LPs
Kartr_Kana
Jedi Knight

Post by Kartr_Kana »

Thanas wrote:...when we mods (Shady, RogueIce and me) figured out the timetable, we decided that due to this being the starting year, we would decide when to stop the first year over PM and aimed for a general figure of the end of september/star of oktober. All production that takes one year would then be completed.
So everything that I'm building that should be completed on Nov 25th will be completed end of september/start of october? And only the stuff that takes longer then a year won't be?

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldier will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"
LT. GEN. LEWIS "CHESTY" PULLER, USMC
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Exactly.

Oh, and please submit your research proposal soon.
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Heh. Two IC posts in such a short time. I must be on crack.

As predicted, Praji blew a fuse.
Also: Poor Feena.
------------
------------
My LPs
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

I just want to say, I was thinking along the lines of a "PR blow" that hirdfain was hoping for. So it wasn't just Siege. :razz:

Anyway yeah, end of the year is gonna be a bit flexible, since AFAIK not everyone has submitted budgets. I know I'll be a latecomer, because my computer with all that info is currently refusing to turn on. So hopefully I can get it fixed soon. If not...it'll be a huge pain in the ass.

(If you're wondering, I'm borrowing my sister's laptop for this)
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

In my humble oppinion, time should be handled like in every pen&paper-RPG:

If not much combat happens, the time progresses faster. If players are only making some diplomacy, build stuff and do research, a year should end fairly quickly.

If we have combat (except for sparse skirmishes), the time will be stretched to what was planned originally, giving everyone enougjh time for well-detailed battles and strategies.

This way, we can get into hot, juicy capship action faster - after all, there is not that much fun in waiting weeks until the year is finally finished.

And once we have a burning galaxy, we will have enough RL-time to enjoy it.

Regards
Fina
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Well, if need be, we can always speed it up. But currently, I do not think it is necessary.
------------
------------
My LPs
Kartr_Kana
Jedi Knight

Post by Kartr_Kana »

If this game year is ending in October and my current budget is for this year(my first) do I need to submit a new budget for the coming year?

Also a question, in the rules it states that defense stations cost 1/4th the build cost to maintain and gives the Golan's and QX-platforms as examples. Then it says that infrastructure doesn't cost anything to maintain only to build. So what's infrastructure? Just shipyards? Shipyards and resupply stations? Resupply stations and repairyards/spacedocks?

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldier will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Kartr_Kana wrote:If this game year is ending in October and my current budget is for this year(my first) do I need to submit a new budget for the coming year?
Yes, at the start of the next year.

Also a question, in the rules it states that defense stations cost 1/4th the build cost to maintain and gives the Golan's and QX-platforms as examples. Then it says that infrastructure doesn't cost anything to maintain only to build. So what's infrastructure? Just shipyards? Shipyards and resupply stations? Resupply stations and repairyards/spacedocks?
Infrastructure=shipyards, repairyards/spacedocks, holonet stations, research stations.

Anything that fires or supplies your troops counts as defence stations.
------------
------------
My LPs
Kartr_Kana
Jedi Knight

Post by Kartr_Kana »

Thanks for the clarification!

Off to figure out what I need to build "next year" in order to take over the galaxy! :twisted:

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Okay, more storyposts. First round of fleet exercises. And the plot regarding Feena thickens.
------------
------------
My LPs
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

Thanas wrote:As the Remnant sells stations to allies at cost, 25 points per station. If your worlds are grouped together closely, one station should suffice.
I'll add one to the budget, then. Realtime communications are too valuable not to have.
Conversion Table:

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

^Fine by me, I leave it up to you to make an IC post (maybe news? So far I am the only one who has used the news in any way) about it.
------------
------------
My LPs
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Not being too familiar with Star Wars tech beyond turbolasers and star destroyers I have to wonder - is there a way to get proper long-range communications up without signing up to the HoloNet? (Beyond stuff like 'dark side telepathy', that is...) Because as much as we like CoreTV here out on the Rim, we'd rather not be dependent on a single firm from the Remnant for our communication needs. I think we'd rather set up our own small-scale 'Net instead...
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Siege wrote:Not being too familiar with Star Wars tech beyond turbolasers and star destroyers I have to wonder - is there a way to get proper long-range communications up without signing up to the HoloNet? (Beyond stuff like 'dark side telepathy', that is...) Because as much as we like CoreTV here out on the Rim, we'd rather not be dependent on a single firm from the Remnant for our communication needs. I think we'd rather set up our own small-scale 'Net instead...
You have PM.
------------
------------
My LPs
Darth Raptor
Red Mage

Post by Darth Raptor »

Sorry for the delay. I had something of a shitty weekend. Will address Agent Sorchus and Katr_Kana soon.