SD.Net World Redux Comment Thread VIII

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Re: SD.Net World Redux Comment Thread VIII

Post by K. A. Pital »

The biowar should've had very serious consequences. To say that it would not result in a drop of GDP during the proper year of the Bio War itself, would be preposterous. As for "overcompensating" later, how do you "overcompensate"? What is "overcompensation"? Economy is not a compensation; if trade is abscent during the year, some factories just shut down. Reactivating them takes more time than a mere year. For the UCSR had a projected (real) growth of around 20-25% as well for this decade, IIRC. Maybe even less, I'm not sure. And that's with the creation of the UCSR from the CSR./USSR...

Also, real GDP growth in excess of some 2-3% for the First World nations is too fucking generous, especially in a world where most nations are gigantic First World empires (that have to be hitting market and production saturation limits, having nowhere to dump their goods).
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Bluewolf
Dishonest Fucktard

Post by Bluewolf »

To be fair to myself, 100 billion extra means a 27% growth in my GDP growth which sounds on about on track and its not too unreasonable. Its certainly not the massive 47% growth or anything and makes more sense.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Just trawling for stuff here; what sort of products are folks looking for militarily at the moment?
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Bluewolf wrote:Nevermind Nevermind. It was stupid Idea and yeah I know thats common for me. I am shit at running countries and RPing.
Jesus christ, what are you, a self-flagellating monk? :P

It could actually be an interesting point for the opposition: the government overreacting to the consequences of the biowar, and deciding to create an unreasonably huge wartime reserve of goods, food and cash, which was shot down by the parliament.

This could nicely explain how the crazy libertarians got to power, actually: they viciously (and correctly) pointed out it was a bad idea and milked the whole thing as much as possible (we'll protect you from the Nanny State! Look at that project and the tax increase it would've entailed!), thus avoiding discussion on other issues (oh, we don't want socialized health care and will take it away!) and winning a disproportional amount of votes.

Voila! :D
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Ryan Thunder wrote:Just trawling for stuff here; what sort of products are folks looking for militarily at the moment?
Miscellaneous goods. I recently bought a truly gigantic amount of those cool Dominion NBC kits, for example.

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

PeZook, did something come out from our KILLFUCK missile project? Cause we need more crudely-named weapons systems! :)
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:PeZook, did something come out from our KILLFUCK missile project? Cause we need more crudely-named weapons systems! :)
Yeah, I figured the missile has been deployed for a long time now.

However, newer USCR designs we have acces to outperform it, so, well...time to replace the old things :D

We could deploy some awesome new ATGM, though!

Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:PeZook, did something come out from our KILLFUCK missile project? Cause we need more crudely-named weapons systems! :)
I'm going to build a bomber called the Thundercunt at some point, I tell ya.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

If I am not wrong, I have high MACH rockets similar to some of the US LOSAT/CKEM system. A product of development on similar missiles that give my tanks 8km range. Maybe I should increase the range eventually.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

PeZook wrote:
Yeah, I figured the missile has been deployed for a long time now.

However, newer USCR designs we have acces to outperform it, so, well...time to replace the old things :D
We should develop our own similar or better weapons systems, just to keep our tech-base on their toes, and so we'll have weapon names that are awesomer than Russian names. Awesomer names like CUNTPUNCH and CORPSEFISTER and BROWN THUNDER and GAGGER.

What were the Killfucks supposed to be? I know the Buzzkills were Tomahawks.

[EDIT: I think I defined them as MACH 5 or hypersonic missiles. But I don't know.]
We could deploy some awesome new ATGM, though!
Yes. And Homing Quidditch Grenades too!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Hell yeah! :D

Killfucks were Yakhont analogues. I'd really wouldn't like to develop new missiles just for the heck of it: we should standardize amongst CATO countries.

I suggest we engage in the following:

1) Homing Humminbird drones/killbots (and call them Quidditch Drones ;) )

2) MLRS-deployed guided Sensor Fuzed Munitions with an AWESOME name :D

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

1.) Call them KILLDDITCH DRONES!

2.) Call them... MANSLAM! Yes! MANSLAM! My asshole's only for shitting!

EDIT:

Alright, we won't make a missile for the hell of it. But we should get Stas and Fin to agree that their next awesome weapon systems, like missiles, get an AWESOME name. KILLFUCK II, or CUNTPUNCH and CORPSEFIST-ER!
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Bluewolf
Dishonest Fucktard

Post by Bluewolf »

Jesus christ, what are you, a self-flagellating monk?
No I am just a bit depressed and I think I am fucking it up and going to mess up my country. I just feel like I am a bit of an Rping failure but meh.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Bluewolf wrote:
No I am just a bit depressed and I think I am fucking it up and going to mess up my country. I just feel like I am a bit of an Rping failure but meh.
Dude, its just a game. We're here to have fun, I thought, which is why Shroomania is still on the map and the MESS hasn't reduced everything to a uniformly-distributed collection of glowing, smouldering craters yet. :lol:

Hardly worth getting depressed over, at any rate. Buck up, man!
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

PeZook wrote:2) MLRS-deployed guided Sensor Fuzed Munitions with an AWESOME name :D
Call 'em "Snitch". Fuck it, if you don't then I will. Showering someone in horribly lethal submunitions called "snitches" is too good to pass up.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Bluewolf
Dishonest Fucktard

Post by Bluewolf »

Ryan Thunder wrote:
Bluewolf wrote:
Dude, its just a game. We're here to have fun, I thought, which is why Shroomania is still on the map and the MESS hasn't reduced everything to a uniformly-distributed collection of glowing, smouldering craters yet. :lol:

Hardly worth getting depressed over, at any rate. Buck up, man!
Non no no, I am not getting depressed over the game. I am a bit depressed anyway and its kind of spreading here. I just don't want to drag it down for other people.
Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Post by Czechmate »

You're doing just fine. You haven't been bombed, invaded, threatened, or generally fucked with yet and you're on-track to join CATO. Pretty good, I'd say.
tiny friendly crab.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Stas Bush wrote:The biowar should've had very serious consequences. To say that it would not result in a drop of GDP during the proper year of the Bio War itself, would be preposterous. As for "overcompensating" later, how do you "overcompensate"? What is "overcompensation"? Economy is not a compensation; if trade is abscent during the year, some factories just shut down. Reactivating them takes more time than a mere year. For the UCSR had a projected (real) growth of around 20-25% as well for this decade, IIRC. Maybe even less, I'm not sure. And that's with the creation of the UCSR from the CSR./USSR...

Also, real GDP growth in excess of some 2-3% for the First World nations is too fucking generous, especially in a world where most nations are gigantic First World empires (that have to be hitting market and production saturation limits, having nowhere to dump their goods).
I can lower my GDP growth where it goes past 3% if it's too high, I was anticipating growth slacking off and going below 3% in 2018 as Pacific Union integration and the recovery boom that started in 2014 (it took until then to recover the lost GDP of the Pathogen War in my calcs) ending.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

PeZook wrote:
CmdrWilkens wrote: On that note historical inflation shoudl still be hitting the world economy to the tune of 2% or so annually so the 5% growth would be an EFFECTIVE growth of only about 3% give or take. As an aside that same inflation should get factored in to the pricing for most major purchases. I think I mentioend this on the price tag of the STAR class of vessels but I've basically inflation adjusted them. Likewise most other new hardware out there should be significantly more expensive (in 2017 dollars) against equivalent generation equipment in the real world (2009 dollars).
You got there before I could. 5% real growth is ridiuclously huge for a first-world economy. Furthermore, I assumed that the Biowar Year saw a decline in GDP due to massive travel restriction and cessation of all economic activity for several weeks (in nations that instituted such measures, of course). For PeZookia, I assumed a 10% decline in the biowar year, then 0% growth for the next year, then a slight post-war recovery spike at 5% or so, before it settled back into the usual 2-3% real growth.
Not really. If one were to take the US as a point of comparison (and BEA has a nice spreadsheet with GDP quarterly numbers going back to 1947) then the long term average growth in same year dollars is almost 7% (not that this period includes 3 major wars, the OPEC crisis and all the other economic crises up to Q12009). In terms of inflation adjusted growth it works out to about 3.3%.

In other words 5% growth with 2% inflation is about right in line with the US experience in the post WW2 world. Looking at the decade by decade splits the 00s so far have averaged 1.8% (likely due to the 01 and 08 recessions), the 90s averaged 3.3%, and the 80s 3.1%. The point is that inflation adjusted growth in nominal GDP for a first world country even after market saturation is not unreasonable. The 90s is probably the best indicator as the US was already a major importer of almost all consumer goods and many durable goods by that point while mostly generating wealth with internal markets.

As an aside with that the non-inflation adjusted growth worked out to 7.8% for the 80s, 5.5% for the 90s and 4.4% so far through the 00s. If we were to assume that the Biowar had an affect on international trade akin to the OPEC embargo (in terms of production shifts, trade disruption, etc it would probably be the best indicator) then during the crisis itself and its immediate aftermath growth should cap at 1% (real growth durin 73-74 was 1.2%) and then quickly resume its previous level (75-76 ran at 3.5% which is within .1% of the 10-year average).
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

All this math makes RogueIce a sad puppy.

Who wants to figure out my GDP growth for me? :D
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

http://stgjr.com/sdnworld/mapproposal3.png

I decided to change from what I said earlier because I wanted Borneo to be tropical and putting it north of Veleria lifts it into the temperate zone. Therefore I put it east of Veleria instead, roughly equidstant from Zoria, Frequesue, and Rangatara. I have it divided into two countries, one represents IRL Brunei + Malaysian Borneo and is intended to be the Sultanate I remarked of before, the other is Indonesian Borneo and is open to being written up.

Instead Honshu-Kyushu-Shikoku were put north of Veleria, I figured they'd be one whole nation at Kingdom or Principality level, though it's not too late to draw a border and put a new color in.

Hawaii is a tad further southwest than I'd initially planned to put it, but I think that works.

Finally, I had an idea of taking an outline of South America, slicing Patagonia off from the rest, and making it an island (scaled down if necessary) for my idea of such a nation, though the New Caledonian island could very well have a similar climate. But that's not inserted yet.

I was thinking that some of these territories should be ex-Wilkonian given Wilkens' "old Empire" background. Shroom's already got a number of confirmed ex-colonies (Astaria, Astarian Veleria, San Dorado, Baerne IIRC), even if they used to be the leading empire Wilkonia was likely #2 going by Wilkens' writeup (Wilkens, if I'm wrong, feel free to correct me).
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Post by Czechmate »

You may as well move Japan down a little and put Hokkaido back on. Also, I'm doing up a recolor of the British Isles because, on the face of things, I may as well just use those instead of a shitty imitation of my own doing. Otherwise pretty good.
tiny friendly crab.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Someone please shove some landmass in such a fashion as to have no more than 7000-8000 km tops between two nearest patches of land/continents. Intercontinental traffic is very hard due to huge swaths of water.
Last edited by K. A. Pital on 2009-07-23 01:20am, edited 4 times in total.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

New map update. Some new bodies of land put in.

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Stas Bush wrote:Someone please shove some landmass in such a fashion as to have no more than 7000-8000 km tops between two nearest patches of land/continents. Intercontinental traffic is very hard due to huge swaths of water.

I've been measuring the map, presuming 7km/pixel, the trans-Atlantic and Old Continent-Veleria ranges are around 3500km. The addition of more islands around Veleria in every direction also cuts down on open water.

....wait, BLAH, that scaling might be off, I believe it goes back to an old map, because if I use the pixel counts of the map I get an equatorial distance of 24815km, a north-south (pole?) distance of 11382km, meaning a total approximate area of 282,444,330km. Earth has 510,000,000km+ area. I thought we were only about 80% smaller than Earth?
Last edited by Steve on 2009-07-22 11:07pm, edited 1 time in total.