SD.Net World Redux Comment Thread VIII

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Re: SD.Net World Redux Comment Thread VIII

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

DarthShady wrote:How about a fork? :P
Technically just about any kitchen utensil can be used as a weapon, if used right. Like poking eyeballs with knives, spoons, forks.... :lol:
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Steve wrote:Uh, Ryan, aren't you unaligned? And while that makes item 2 onerous for you, it also means you have, well, absolutely no say whatsoever in the adoption of the proposal.
Technically. Miratia is allied with CATO, but not a member.

In any event, she asked for my input and I gave it.

If she didn't, chalk it up to my RL awkwardness. I *really* should've just sent a diplomat, but yeah... :P
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

How can you be allied with CATO but not a member? :?
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Steve wrote:How can you be allied with CATO but not a member? :?
We get along. It's a political thing. The people of Miratia would string me from a lamp post if we actually became a full-fledged member state, because they'd see it as selling out somehow. They don't mind if we just "happen" to work together alot, though.
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

Shinn Langley Soryu wrote: To be honest, all I really need are the Yak-141s, but the two Moskvas with SLEP would certainly be useful as well. $1 billion for each refurbished and upgraded Moskva plus $20 million for each Yak-141, right?
Yep, that's the price. If we have a deal, I'll write up a delivery post. :P

And Mang, you really need to join the usergroup. It takes like five minutes to make an email address(if you go with gmail), please do it and then PM me.

Note: Gmail is not necessary, others will work too. I got Zor signed up with a different one.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Steve wrote:How can you be allied with CATO but not a member? :?
It's a Rome: Total War style alliance. Which means he'll contribute nothing useful before stabbing them in the back with a declaration of war within the next two years.

:D
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Inertial Confinement Fusion? Breakeven?

Or are you obliquely referring to Polywell?
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Inertial Confinement Fusion? Breakeven?

Or are you obliquely referring to Polywell?
Yeah, Polywell. Not really all that obliquely, considering I'm using the name of the company that's doing the research...
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Hmm.. I will make my own announcement in 2017 or 2018. Funding came in three phases with input from the UCSR and Byzantium. 1st phase started at the start of the game and was aimed at proof of concept. 2nd phase was a larger scale prototype which started 2 years ago. 3rd phase will aim for large scale power generation at levels that are actually useful for commercial and military use.
Kreia
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Shinn Langley Soryu wrote:The MESS and CATO alliances have been drawn into open conflict in the aftermath of the sinking of a Baernish naval task force off the Costa del las Cincos Muertes! As the forces of both alliances clash on the continent of Frequesque, a small group of Shroomanian and other CATO pilots discover the truth behind the attack on the Baernish fleet! Can they get this information to the leaders of the alliances in time and end the conflict before it threatens to consume the entire world? Will the true perpetrators be punished?
Make it a some nationally unassociated guy with captured experimental weapons systems from Miratia. :lol:

Totally bullshit, of course, but it sounds like a Hollywood plot. ;)
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Obviously it'll be Japanistan as the villain in Shinn's little AC5 ripoff. They're about the closest thing to Belka in this situation. Unless it's some weird ultra-wealthy and capable sect of Astarians.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

Steve got it; the fact that half of the actors have Japanese names should have been a tip-off. Double points if you can figure out the significance of Shōji Kawamori and all those Japanese actors.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Is it technically possible to hot pack the SM-2ER? I know you can for the SM-2MR, but the SM-2ER has the different diameter where the booster is actually about 533mm versus 0.34m for the SM-2MR.
Kreia
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

If your VLS cells are real huge and allow to hotpack 533mm, you can. But hotpacking them into existing VLS cells? Tell me when you go around that thing called "math". :lol:
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Umm.... guys? I just realized I can fit 48 1000mm VLS tubes on my corvette and still have room for a 130mm gun and a helicopter landing pad for friggin V-22s!

What have I done wrong here? :shock:
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

Made a small frigate instead of a corvette? :)
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

1) Where would the crew be?
2) Where would the fuel be?
3) Coating of cells?
4) Powerplant?
5) Gun(s) and it's magazines?

After considering all of those, think again.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Is it technically possible to hot pack the SM-2ER? I know you can for the SM-2MR, but the SM-2ER has the different diameter where the booster is actually about 533mm versus 0.34m for the SM-2MR.
It's not quite the SM-2ER RIM-156A that is in service with the USN. It uses a narrower, and therefore less powerful booster. Booster's actually the same diameter as the missile itself. Idea originally came from a RL scheme to dual pack the SM-4 LASM into Mk41 VLS cells, and it went from there. I'll note that this has been in my OOB since pretty much the beginning...
Ryan Thunder wrote:Umm.... guys? I just realized I can fit 48 1000mm VLS tubes on my corvette and still have room for a 130mm gun and a helicopter landing pad for friggin V-22s!

What have I done wrong here? :shock:
Ok, so where's all the rest of the stuff that a warship needs going to fit? All the radars, crew spaces, electronics et al have to fit somewhere.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Stas Bush wrote:1) Where would the crew be?
2) Where would the fuel be?
3) Coating of cells?
4) Powerplant?
5) Gun(s) and it's magazines?

After considering all of those, think again.
Coating? :?

There (seems) to be plenty of room for the gun. but that could be solved by either moving the tower back or moving the VLS to be aft of the tower. There'd still be room for a V-22.

Oh, fuck it, I'll just post the image;

Perhaps I just have a poor understanding of how large a corvette should be? This thing's about 120m long...
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Based off the VLS cells, that looks to be about 20m wide, which makes for a really beamy corvette. For reference, the Burke is 18m, and is considered to have a rather high beam to length ratio. Also, you appear to be lacking flare on the ship, which will seriously affect seakeeping. On the other hand, not needing to go anywhere other than patrol a river means you don't really need much seakeeping ability.

Of course, with the dimensions given and extrapolated, you probably have a rather hefty corvette... probably around 6000 tons. You probably also have a horribly high block coefficient, which will result in a slower ship for a given horsepower. Again, not a problem for a river patrol craft, but a bit more of one for open ocean.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

It looks like what he's really done is enter a third hull type for the "Littoral Combat Ship" category, actually.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Shall we call a recess during the summit and discuss the final accord and then propose it?
Kreia
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Coyote wrote:It looks like what he's really done is enter a third hull type for the "Littoral Combat Ship" category, actually.
It's a heavy littoral combat ship, of sorts. It's not meant to be used on the open oceans and has no illusions of such use.

It's more for controlling the rivers, lakes, and inland seas that border Miratia.

The Kraken-class is our primary presence in the ocean at the moment. We're working with the NFT to alleviate that...

EDIT: For reference, it might not look it, but the hull is meant to be angled to deflect radar scans skyward.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

1) Coastal ships still need speed to be able to patrol their zones
2) River monitors are not supposed to engage the enemy with 1000m diameter missiles; they'd most likely have sufficient armament with a few large-caliber artillery guns...
3) Consider the weight. I'm just approximating, but each Granit missile weighs 7 tons, yours would be even heavier. They'd weigh almost 500 tons, which is a large fraction of the ship's total tonnage. That can lead to unexpected performance changes during the firing...

I just presumed building heavily armored river cutters for rivers and fast attack craft for coastal patrols is a more efficient solution to the problem. A large number of coastal attack craft is better than a few obscenely expensive half-monitors..

But then, it's the Miratian approach to arms design :lol:

Assalti Frontali
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

The USN and US Army have a relatively cheap and compact missile system that supposedly has the punch of a 155mm artillery round and is launched from a VLS system. It is called PAM/LAM which Byzantium has gone ahead and developed and now deploying within the army and on its latest frigates. A longer range version is also in development.
Kreia