SD.Net World Redux Comment Thread VIII

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Re: SD.Net World Redux Comment Thread VIII

Post by Czechmate »

Make it an even 10km/px and distances should be fine. I doubt anybody wants to actually have the planet enlarged - it'd involve them having to redo their sub-maps and rethink distances.
tiny friendly crab.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Steve wrote:New map update. Some new bodies of land put in.
Where can I find the map?

Man, there should be a convenient place for us to find the map.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:
Steve wrote:New map update. Some new bodies of land put in.
Where can I find the map?

Man, there should be a convenient place for us to find the map.

http://stgjr.com/sdnworld/mapproposal3.png
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Man, there should be a convenient place for us to find the map.
When it's done, we can slap it up on the Wiki.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

RogueIce wrote:All this math makes RogueIce a sad puppy.

Who wants to figure out my GDP growth for me? :D
Make yourself a handy little chart, go year by year and flip a coin:

Heads: +.1%
Tails +4%

Do that for each year and you'll be fine assuming you can work excel and basic multiplication.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Hey Phongn, I hope the IRT is still the "no qualms about selling people" folks, right? :) Because some men would like to buy some!

Also, moved from the prior page (posted it too late there)

UCSR inflation-adjusted growth:

Code: Select all

The Crimson Star Republic
1990: 0,0%      2000: 3,1%      2011: 0,5%
1991: -1,0%     2001: 3,2%      2013: 2,5%
1992: 3,0%      2002: 3,0%      2014: 3,5%
1993: 2,5%      2003: 2,5%      2015: 3,6%
1994: 3,0%      2004: 2,0%      2016: 3,6%
1995: 2,7%      2005: 2,7%      2017: 3,7%
1996: 2,9%      2006: 2,8%      2018: 3,6%
1997: 3,1%      2007: 2,6%      
1998: 1,9%      2008: 3,5%
1999: 3,0%      2009: 3,6% 
2000: 2,6%      2010: -8,0%

GDP real growth cumulative since 2008: 20,1 (average growth rate 2008-2017 = 1,43%)
GDP real growth cumulative since 1990: 67,7 (average growth rate 1990-2017 = 2,42%)
GDP starting: 4,950 trillion
GDP current: 5,940 trillion

USSR:
Generally mirroring growth rates [I think no super-precise calcs are needed here] due to heavy economic integration. In 2015, the combination of two economies would have resulted in an over 6 trillion giant, which then proceeded to grow a little faster due to the massive CATO integration and the military expansion that prompted heavy industrial growth (about the time when we figured out the MESS and Japanistan are damn heavily militarized compared to us)

GDP starting: $0,4 trillion
GDP current: $0,48 trillion

UCSR: combined GDP

GDP starting (as of yet separate nations): 5,35 trillion
GDP current: 6,42 trillion
Both nations started in a period of decline, emerged from the troubled times and the growth was reflecting that. The creation of the CATO and the massive economic alliance coming with it did a lot to spurt the otherwise sluggish growth in the period between 2013 and 2017, but the benefits were somewhat offset by a military expansion in both nations consuming a great part of this growth. In my view, the UCSR's growth and economic indicators are pretty much spot-on, as is it's military condition.

The BioWar did a minus-8% of GDP due to the UCSR coming under the impact of Shep's attack and having to go to Civil Defence Emergency that halted economic activity, much like in Pezookia.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Bah.. I'm lazy to come up with numbers, and I will just follow Stas'. Byzantium's growth rate should somewhat mirror that of the UCSR.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Post by Czechmate »

Are we already into 2018? Or is that just some forecasting on Stas' part?
tiny friendly crab.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Planned calculations to make it a round decade. I.e. the 3,6% figure is the plan.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Steve wrote: ....wait, BLAH, that scaling might be off, I believe it goes back to an old map, because if I use the pixel counts of the map I get an equatorial distance of 24815km, a north-south (pole?) distance of 11382km, meaning a total approximate area of 282,444,330km. Earth has 510,000,000km+ area. I thought we were only about 80% smaller than Earth?
No, we're about 1/3 of Earth's size. Should I post the picture again? :D

Astronomical parameters of Nova Terra
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Post by Czechmate »

...nevermind. :V
tiny friendly crab.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Czechmate wrote:Okay. Got some unfettered shit for you lads. No bitterness, no whining, no grudges - just straight up data exchange.
Whatever. :P

Did you just not update your ORBAT yet, or will I have to remind you yet again that your airforce alone exceeds the points limit for a Duchy's entire military? :)

If its the former I do, of course, apologize for the attitude.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Post by Czechmate »

Which ORBAT are you monitoring? Is it the one on the wiki? And are you noting the units placed in inactive reserve (the Y column of the X:Y format, which you had some trouble understanding before)? The update continues, but I've also been working on two other OOBs (for Polaria and Vitoze) and trying to get it all to jibe.

I believe it would most assuredly be the former.
EDIT: Like most other players (as far as I know, anyway), I'm not using the points system any more. I think you came along after it happened, but there came a point where the points system was pretty much universally realized to be of little worth (once the game had progressed forward even a few years) and less respectability, because Shep and Skimmer had basically raped it into mush. You should perhaps assume the same.

EDIT2: If the OOB you're watching is the one in the Building Your Country thread, that's hopelessly out of date. Go to the wiki and look up Emmeria for the updated one for now, because it's easier to balance the three OOBs on the wiki instead of using the SDN edit function.
tiny friendly crab.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Czechmate wrote:Which ORBAT are you monitoring? Is it the one on the wiki?

Yes.
And are you noting the units placed in inactive reserve (the Y column of the X:Y format, which you had some trouble understanding before)? The update continues, but I've also been working on two other OOBs (for Polaria and Vitoze) and trying to get it all to jibe.

I believe it would most assuredly be the former, friend.
The rules made no distinction between "mothballed" and active units. I'm not sure why there would be a huge difference, since they're still assets, just not immediately avaliable ones. And as before, there's nothing stopping you from getting help from, say, Tian Xia in making them avaliable for immediate use.

One issue that may be still relevant even at this point, however; I'm looking at the planes you're fielding and seeing stuff like F-28As, B1-Cs, and KCV-22s. I'd very much appreciate it if you could elaborate on exactly what those are supposed to be somewhere, even if its just a little blurb saying "this is like modern plane xyz."

Also if any of it's high-end MESS hardware I'm interested to know why you'd be able to get it from them. :)

Since you aren't done with it, though, I'll withold further judgement on the scale of it for now.

EDIT: Well if that's it, then I should get to retroactively tack on a larger force myself...
Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Post by Czechmate »

Mothballed units are kept at only the most basic level of maintenance as a cost-saving measure or due to lack of parts. To reactivate them and actively operate them again would take weeks or months at best, depending on the unit in question.

EDIT: You should simply stop worrying about the points system from this junction onward. Just keep it out of Shep/Skimmer territory and you'll be fine.

EDIT2: I updated the air force. I axed the B-1Cs (48) and half the B-350s (24), as well as the carrier air group (36+12+3+2). 125 planes chopped right there. I believe this should sufficiently address your complaints.
tiny friendly crab.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I should note that Shep and Skimmer didn't break the rules so much as the points system was entirely, well, voluntary. And they were such miltech arcana nuts they were willing to do the long, hard work of setting up a realistic itemized defense budget.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Czechmate
Jedi Knight

Post by Czechmate »

Steve wrote:I should note that Shep and Skimmer didn't break the rules so much as the points system was entirely, well, voluntary. And they were such miltech arcana nuts they were willing to do the long, hard work of setting up a realistic itemized defense budget.
I'll concede that one. They really were poster children for military-minutae autism. :P
tiny friendly crab.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

http://sdnworld.wikia.com/wiki/T-95_Main_Battle_Tank
http://sdnworld.wikia.com/wiki/Coalitio ... ery_system

Dun dun dun! I mastered the Wiki! Soon Fingolfin and Shady won't have to bother since I'll catalogue all the latest military shit we have and place it into nice wiki pages, one for each new weapon we have!

Assalti Frontali
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

So, exploration of the moon continues. Perhaps it's time to work out territorial matters? :D

Because, frankly, in a few years we'll have a nuke-powered lunar outpost ready to go. We just need a few more spacecraft and various miscellaneous doodads to service it. And once it's there, territorial matters will suddendly matter a lot ;)
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Ryan Thunder wrote:The rules made no distinction between "mothballed" and active units. I'm not sure why there would be a huge difference, since they're still assets, just not immediately avaliable ones. And as before, there's nothing stopping you from getting help from, say, Tian Xia in making them avaliable for immediate use.
Actually Marina made a ruling early on that "reserve" or "guard" formations, that is those which would require at least 6 months of training to be brought up to wartime standards, counted for only half of their nominal point value. So if a formation is a reserve unit then you can have twice as many but it would take you half a year to get them ready for action at the cost of a great deal of money.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Having had some time that needed killin', I decided to craft a map of the island that materialized off the coast of northern Frequesue. The result looks like this:

I've elected to call it Zanzibar because I ran out of inspiration in a most spectacular fashion, and because I simply like the name. The islands are volcanic in nature, and the reason they're torn in two is a cataclysmic, Krakatoa-like explosion somewhere in the antediluvian past that literally cracked the island in two. The remains of the volcano are still there, as indicated by the red bits on the map. As a result of its volcanic past the island is extremely fertile.

As far as who rules the place is concerned, I was thinking about a constitutional monarchy, slightly over principality-size. The locals consider themselves the true heirs of the Greater Sabikan Kingdom of the 19th century, and repelled several Shroomanian attempts at annexation in colonial times. Several factions squabble for control over the kingdom, most notable among which (so far) are a king who tries to expand his power despite his nominally ceremonial function, the crown princess who runs several state businesses and wants to claim the throne for herself, a parliamentary faction of republicans who don't like the overly ambitious monarchy, a bunch of libertarians who like nothing more than to get their hands on the state-run banana plantations, and who knows who else.

Basically the idea is to have so many factions compete for dominance that the island could do a complete 180 on its foreign policy every month, making them highly unpredictable, slightly dysfunctional, and hopefully a lot of fun to interact with.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Not to rain on your parade or anything, because its a pretty cool idea, but a volcano like that would've blasted a hole in the island, not split it in two like that, unless I'm mistaken. ;)
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Stas Bush wrote:Hey Phongn, I hope the IRT is still the "no qualms about selling people" folks, right? :) Because some men would like to buy some!
This IRT long outlawed slavery (despite having had trade ties to Veg's old power back in the day and continuing ties to Imperial Japanistan). It's just not a very efficient way to go about things. However, there are, ah, alternatives in the modern, civilized world. For that matter, you could probably hire a bunch of po' folk for cheap ;)

EDIT: Ah-hah. That's what you're up to :) Oh, that's easily doable, though I'm going to have to figure out where I'd sell you some holdings. Maybe one of those magic new islands or something that some multinational has mysteriously held claim to
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Sell him Klavostan, and watch how Tian Xia and Indhopal do a collective spit-take over it ;).
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

SiegeTank wrote:Sell him Klavostan, and watch how Tian Xia and Indhopal do a collective spit-take over it ;).
Oh man, that would be awesome. Especially as the mercenaries pitch a fit and the whole thing descends into chaos :mrgreen: Alas, I've invested a lot of money into there with my own shady long-term plans.