57%
Abstain
14%

Total votes: 14

Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Re: Star Trek/Star Wars STGOD?

Post by Agent Sorchus »

How are we valuing planetary defenses like turbolasers and shields?
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
A-Wing_Slash
Padawan Learner

Post by A-Wing_Slash »

I'll flesh my faction out more later, but here are my planets:

Denon (Homeworld) - 600
Sullust (Major World) - 400
Rendili (Major World) - 400
Antar (Average World) - 200
Malastare (Average World) - 200

Are the hyperlanes shown the various galactic maps going to have any sort of signifigance to us?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Agent Sorchus wrote:How are we valuing planetary defenses like turbolasers and shields?
I don't know. But I would prefer that we just say "keep it reasonable," start as soon as possible, and let the mods deal with any problems that come up.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

I would suggest that

1. We scale defences as the worlds grow, or get upgraded to Major World Status.

2. We also create a certain number of points and allocate it so that for a certain world, you need so and so number of ships to occupy the planet.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Well, to be honest, I'm increasingly feeling that the rules are too complicated, and only likely to get more so.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

The Romulan Republic wrote:Well, to be honest, I'm increasingly feeling that the rules are too complicated, and only likely to get more so.
Well people are going to go for battles eventually. Either we figure how the combat rules work, or we will enter an endless litany of arguments.
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:Well, to be honest, I'm increasingly feeling that the rules are too complicated, and only likely to get more so.
Well people are going to go for battles eventually. Either we figure how the combat rules work, or we will enter an endless litany of arguments.
Well, there is always the possibility that we have a variety "planetary defense" packages available for a certain number of points. For instance we have a light, medium and a heavy package. A light has theater shields and a couple squadrons of fighters, a heavy full planetary shields and heavy turbolasers and more fighters, etc.

Alternatively we could assume as was said earlier that a planet has a certain amount of defenses based on its importance that can be upgraded if you desire. That's about as complicated as we really need to get I think.

I also like the idea of having ships come with their fighters as it just saves us the trouble of having to figure out what every damn ship in the fleet is down to the tiniest shuttle craft. Besides I'm hoping this game will have a high adventure feel to it rather than it being a space combat simulator. Hopefully we won't end up trying to figure out who wins a battle based on whose ships have better broadside fire arcs or the like :P
Last edited by Raj Ahten on 2009-05-11 02:01pm, edited 2 times in total.
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

And here's my suggestions for planetary defense packages:

Light Defense Package - Comes with Average Worlds
-4x Squadrons Faction-Appropriate Fighters
-Theater Shields Around Major Installations
-1x Surface-to-Space Weapon (Ion cannon or turbolaser)

Medium Defense Package - Comes with Major Worlds
2x Wings Faction-Appropriate Fighters
Basic Planetary Shield Network
-10x Surface-to-Space Weapons (Ion cannon or turbolaser)

Heavy Defense Package - Comes with Homeworlds
10x Wings Faction-Appropriate Fighters
Full Planetary Shield Network
-30x Surface-to-Space Weapons (Ion cannon or turbolaser)

Note: A Basic Shield Network provides coverage to the entire planet, but does not contain the backup generators and redundant shield layers that make Full Shield Networks so impenetrable. It will still withstand a raid or light bombardment, but once a part falls, it cannot be brought quickly back online.
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

As for the rules, I think they are good to bear in mind, but in truth I think we should start with the points and unit cost stuff (in other words, like everyone is already doing) and dispense with the rest. After all, it represents stuff that came up at SB.com, including lots of metagaming rules to encourage roleplay.

There's no need for us to be penned in by mistakes made over here. SD.net is a bit more dedicated to Star Wars canon-icity, so a lot of the problems we had over there with people trying to bring in oddball ships & go on land grabs probably will not be an issue here.

So; point systems and purchases, and ignore the rest unless it comes up. What I posted wa smostly just a sample to use as a start point, after all.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

The main thing that I do not like about the defense packages is home world vs major world. I do not think they should be that different. Perhaps make light defenses go to minor worlds and shift the scale down so that the differences between a major world and a home world is far more a choice of how many ships and space stations you chose to defend it with.

Or as Coyote says simple set the point buy for all planetary defenses and be done with it.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

To be honest, most of the worlds we picked up are heavily industrialised and are more than capable of sustaining themselves in some siege, and building shield generators, and planetary turbolasers and ion cannons. I think any attack on a Major world is going to be costly, requiring either something of the order of several torpedo spheres, Star Dreadnaughts, or perhaps even a superweapon. So either we hand wave it away, and then talk about when two powers decide to kill each other, and then focus on the basics first.
Kreia
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:To be honest, most of the worlds we picked up are heavily industrialised and are more than capable of sustaining themselves in some siege, and building shield generators, and planetary turbolasers and ion cannons.
I didn't do that, you power gaming assholes. Then again, I did pick the Corellian System which means you get to face pretty much all of my fleet at once if you invade the system.

Damn, guess I'm a power gaming asshole too? :cry:

So Fin, you're the Kuat Imperium and I'm the Second Corellian Empire. Seems we have a relatively similar idealogy. Shall we team up to take over the galaxy? :D
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

Ooh! Can I join too?
Conversion Table:

Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Come on... we need some bad guys... Like the Democratic People's Republic of Haven! *tosses hat into ring*
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

I think we all know who my star fleet commander will be against those Peep bastards. :)
Conversion Table:

Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

well here's a run down of the systems I plan on using.

Deko Neimoidia: Major World (400pts.)
Koru Neimoidia: Major World (400pts.)
Duros: Homeworld (600pts.)
Cornerstone Station: Space station (50pts). This is a facility I’m making up which was basically a CIS shipyard in an uninhabited system. A lot of CIS crap was mothballed there and it basically served as an interstellar junkyard for many years. Now it’s being reactivated and used as a fleet base.
The Pit: Space Station (50pts). Another made up space station that sits inside a crater on a large airless asteroid in the same system as Cornerstone. It served as a sometime mining outpost, sometime pirate haven for many years.
Barras: Average World (200pts). A made up Agricultural World that has traditionally been in Koru Neimoidia’s economic orbit.
Argyle’s World: Minor Planet (100pts). A planet that was under the thumb of Hutt’s during the old Republic, it joined the CIS in order to break free. The galactic civil war wrecked this world which is still covered with battle debris decades later. Another world made up by me placed near Duros for convenience.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Master_Baerne wrote:I think we all know who my star fleet commander will be against those Peep bastards. :)
Honorless Harrington?

Oh, and I need to figure out how to work the word "Free" into that name.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

The Democratic People's Republic of Free Haven.

Problem Solved.
Conversion Table:

Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Master_Baerne wrote:The Democratic People's Republic of Free Haven.

Problem Solved.
Makes it sound like it's part of the location, rather than an adjective. I was thinking more along the lines of: Free Democratic People's Republic of Haven. After all, the more the the name proclaims to be free and democratic, the less it actually is.
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Beowulf wrote:
Master_Baerne wrote:The Democratic People's Republic of Free Haven.

Problem Solved.
Makes it sound like it's part of the location, rather than an adjective. I was thinking more along the lines of: Free Democratic People's Republic of Haven. After all, the more the the name proclaims to be free and democratic, the less it actually is.
That would certainly make for a hell of an unwieldy Acronym; the FDPRH.
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

I'm thinking we could just refer to it as the "PRH" for ease of use. And nostalgia. :)
Conversion Table:

Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Master_Baerne wrote:I'm thinking we could just refer to it as the "PRH" for ease of use. And nostalgia. :)
Just Peeps works, for informal things.
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

Well, semi-informal then.
Conversion Table:

Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

I'll start a thread for a Star Wars STGOD soon, where we'll pare down the rules and agree on them, and concentrate on getting things started.

One of the first things we need is a name! Let's throw some ideas out--

Star Wars:
--A New Dawn
--Rebuilding of Empires
--Galactic Reawakening
--Rumors of Wars
--Wars and Peace
--The New Consquests

...help a brother out, here, folks!
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

-Dark Ages
-Fallen Galaxy
-The Game of Emperors
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)