14%

Total votes: 14

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Star Trek/Star Wars STGOD?

Post by Thanas »

I have decided to flesh out my empire:
Bakura, Kaikielius, Foerost and Nez Peron are now claimed by me.

All located far away from each other. I want to play as pretty much as a disorganized alliance (at start) with four factions scrambling to control of each other and heavy ideological differences. More to come on Wednesday as I return from giving a lecture.

For those wondering:
Kaikielius is located near the deep core between Foerst and Ruan. Foerost is a deep core world. Bakura is at the end of the outer rim, whereas Nez Peron is in the outer rim.

I have decided to let go of Anaxes - the planet was most likely completely destroyed and will only be a drag. If possible, I would like to use it for story purposes. If other players have no objections, reconstruction efforts at Anaxes will be a main part of my political program, thus I would like to establish control of the planet in the first story thread.
Not that it will ever allow me to gain points, in fact I expect it will be a constant drag on my resources for the first years of the story.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

New worlds should most certainly be allowed - There's only a few hundred of billions of worlds described, and the really good ones will be snapped up very quickly. You have a point, though - hyperdrive makes strategic positions rather irrelevant.

Custom ships, as with custom planets, should be allowed subject to the whims of the mod.

Also, we should probably get a head count of people actually planning on participating, now that we've got a rules set.
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Not sure what I'm going to do yet. I may relinquish my ealier claims. However, the idea was for an independent faction based off Tatooine that basically got tired of the Core either ignoring or exploiting the Outer Rim and decided to build an alliance of Outer Rim worlds. One problem is that I've been using the concept for a fanfic on another forum and I don't want the game to interfere with the creative writing process. But I may use something like that as the basic concept. Hence my reserving a bunch of Outer Rim dustballs.;)

Also, since Coyote mentioned that in the Spacebattles story at least Daala was still around, my holding Kessel might create some... interesting situations. 8)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Master_Baerne wrote:New worlds should most certainly be allowed - There's only a few hundred of billions of worlds described, and the really good ones will be snapped up very quickly. You have a point, though - hyperdrive makes strategic positions rather irrelevant.

Custom ships, as with custom planets, should be allowed subject to the whims of the mod.

Also, we should probably get a head count of people actually planning on participating, now that we've got a rules set.
Ugg, you posted this right as I posted. Oh well.

That sounds fine to me. Let's give it a couple days then for the head count, and to give people a chance to review and comment on the rules if they wish to. I'm rather busy the next few days any way, so for me at least that would work well. If no one objects, I'll put up an OOB thread on the weekend.
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

It seems quite clear that the Star Wars game has prevailed.(wooo hooo :D ), so now we can get down to business.
Do we even need to make a map? Unless someone picks a very obscure world, or makes a new one (are we allowing that), then can't we just use any of the many Star Wars maps one can find by searching Google Images?
Well, we need to know where everybody is. A map makes it simpler to locate people.

As for time, why not go with what Coyote proposed? And slow it down should it become necessary.(For example; during player vs player conflicts)

Gentlemen, we need to chose a mod(or mods) first. I personally think Coyote is the best choice, if he's up for the job.

Also: Custom ships with Mod approval should be allowed.
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

Guys, before you(and me) continue to grab worlds; I would suggest that the rules on them be made clear first. Such as how many of which type do you get at the beginning? They can't all be homeworld level.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

DarthShady wrote:Well, we need to know where everybody is. A map makes it simpler to locate people.
Fair enough. But quite frankly, I am not a good map maker (read: completely inept), so if anyone is willing to take the job, please raise your hand. :)
As for time, why not go with what Coyote proposed? And slow it down should it become necessary.(For example; during player vs player conflicts)
Hmm, let me get back to you on that.
Gentlemen, we need to chose a mod(or mods) first. I personally think Coyote is the best choice, if he's up for the job.
If I recall correctly (and please correct me if I misunderstood), Coyote has basically said earlier in the thread that he's busy but that he can step in if there are unresolvable disputes. I personally feel its good to have a second mod in case one's not available, but its not urgent.
Also: Custom ships with Mod approval should be allowed.
One would hope so. Again, one of the most fun things about STGODs (for me at least) is designing custom ships, and it works fine in plenty of other games, so why not here?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

DarthShady wrote:Guys, before you(and me) continue to grab worlds; I would suggest that the rules on them be made clear first. Such as how many of which type do you get at the beginning? They can't all be homeworld level.
Why not? The only stated limit was four worlds, and even that seemed contradictory. I can see what you mean about not all having home worlds, but I hate to add more rules. If anything, I'd want to simplify the existing ones.

Though me, I'm not picking a single world that would rate average or above, except maybe Geonosis.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

The rules said no more than 4 worlds, with one homeworld and the rest no bigger than major worlds.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

What is your opinion of allowing those with little post count to play?
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
DarthShady wrote:Also: Custom ships with Mod approval should be allowed.
One would hope so. Again, one of the most fun things about STGODs (for me at least) is designing custom ships, and it works fine in plenty of other games, so why not here?
I'm going to stick with use default Wars ships for initial OOBs, with only somewhat minimal modifications. After all, the general setup is that a Major Conflict basically turned the power structure on its head, and we're just getting past that. So why would we have a bunch of uniquely designed vessels, rather than what was available with minimal modifications?

Plus the general imbalance of people rolling with ISDs while somebody comes up with an awesome ISD Killer Ship to trump everyone else. And so on.

Basically, you want unique ships, you should use resources and time in game, rather than it being essentially gifted to you. Plus having some mod(s) trying to approve all the unique ship types at the start will be a bitch; so please, think of the mod(s) and only make him/her/them have to deal with that sort of thing in increments. :wink:

On the subject of mods, I'll toss my hat in the ring.

For an example of starting modifications, my idea is an Empire-type with Imperial shipping, but mostly Rebel fighters. For balance sake, however, I will stipulate that such designs do not carry as many fighters as normal. IE: an Imperial Star Destroyer won't be carrying 72 X-wings, A-wings and B-wings. Because Rebel fighter types tend to be larger than their Imperial counterparts, and they can't use the overhead launch racks, either. So as a result I'd have to fit them on the hanger decks where I also have to have shuttles and other stuff, so as a result I'll have fewer fighters than if I used an ISD with TIEs. Since I don't want to play Starship Engineer I'd say I could carry between 48 and 60 (ie: 4 - 5 squadrons) and call it a day. Although there will doubtless still be TIEs in service on several ships as well.

Obviously then, I might try to design an ISD III or whatever that better accomodates Rebel fighters with its hanger bays. But that's something I have to spend resources on in game, rather than having it nice and ready from the start.

So IOW, something like how SDN World decided on its initial OOBs. Though hopefully with less powergaming where "ha ha, old 1960s designs provide a perfect counter to early 21st century equipment!" type of crap. Or, you heavy duty EU nerds out technogeeking the more casual SW fans. :wink:
Thanas wrote:The rules said no more than 4 worlds, with one homeworld and the rest no bigger than major worlds.
I would say one Homeworld, one Major, and the others as you see fit? Otherwise what's the point of starting with Averge/Colony worlds if others are gonna grab three Majors? Unless you feel like RPing a weaker power.

I would be in semi-favor of tweaking it so that you could trade an Average for two Colonies, though the two Colonies won't be as many "points" as one Average. Thus you could have four Colonies instead of two Averages, but those with two Averages still got more points. On the other hand, you have two more systems under your belt.

Or something. Or maybe even not. Just tossing an idea out there.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

Thanas wrote:The rules said no more than 4 worlds, with one homeworld and the rest no bigger than major worlds.
I must have missed that. Problem solved. Thanks.
The Romulan Republic wrote: Fair enough. But quite frankly, I am not a good map maker (read: completely inept), so if anyone is willing to take the job, please raise your hand. :)
Yeah, we need a volunteer for the job.
Hmm, let me get back to you on that.

Sure.
If I recall correctly (and please correct me if I misunderstood), Coyote has basically said earlier in the thread that he's busy but that he can step in if there are unresolvable disputes. I personally feel its good to have a second mod in case one's not available, but its not urgent.
Perhaps we can elect two mods from within the player group and Coyote can be the deal breaker? That way we have three mods to help resolve any disputes. If the first two cannot agree on the matter, Coyote can be the final voice.
The mod(s) can simply step in to deal with any wank and shit like that. Other than that, I see no problem with customizing stuff.
Agent Sorchus wrote:What is your opinion of allowing those with little post count to play?
I personally have no problem with you playing. The more the merrier.
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

DarthShady wrote:
Agent Sorchus wrote:What is your opinion of allowing those with little post count to play?
I personally have no problem with you playing. The more the merrier.
Thanks, I definitely will play as an independent then. I also wish to call Balmorra and some space in the core.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

Agent Sorchus wrote: Thanks, I definitely will play as an independent then. I also wish to call Balmorra and some space in the core.
No problem. :wink:

Also: Empress Teta, Balmorra, and I need to think about the others.(It also depends on whether we take on RogueIce's proposal.)
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

I don't mind being sort of a "third-vote" tiebreaker mod, or helping out... right now I can't really involve overmuch in gameplay, being quite involved already with some STGODs here and at SBcom, but I'd certainly be more'n happy to help with rules and judging ship-mods, etc.

I'll claim a tiny faction for posterity but probably will not be too active as an in-character entity.

Remember, the rules as posted are reflective of the experiences we had at SBcom-- they are posted here as a suggestion; a guideline. By all means, if it seems more useful to start with, say, six worlds... or say "you can have up to [arbitrary number] of world points to start out with and you can have two Homeworlds and nothing else, or thirty Colonies..." etc.

The faction I'll claim will consist of... Naboo, Chommell Minor, and two Average planets I'll think up later. :wink:
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Maybe something like:

You can claim up to number Y of planets but you have to make sure their point value does not exceed amount X.

In order to show that we have all some kind of parity.
------------
------------
My LPs
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Oh! I like that!
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

I fully support Thanas' idea for planets, and the general consensus for custom ships.

I'd recommend 1800 points as the maximum starting limit - It's equivalent to one homeworld and three major worlds, which should give us everyone some flexibility with regards to how many worlds they actually have, while still keeping the starting points reasonable.

Also: I want Sluis Van, Bilbringi, and Thyferra. The other worlds can be determined later, but I'd really like those three.
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

Damn it, I wanted to claim Thyferra! Very well, then. I'll just take Abregado-rae, Mrlsst, and Fondor, then.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Um, why the hell not?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Master_Baerne wrote:I fully support Thanas' idea for planets, and the general consensus for custom ships.

I'd recommend 1800 points as the maximum starting limit - It's equivalent to one homeworld and three major worlds, which should give us everyone some flexibility with regards to how many worlds they actually have, while still keeping the starting points reasonable.

Also: I want Sluis Van, Bilbringi, and Thyferra. The other worlds can be determined later, but I'd really like those three.
This sounds good. I may take some more worlds as well, as my current choices aren't worth much. Here's how I'm counting them, just to make sure this is ok:

Tatooine: Minor world (100 points)
Geonosis: Major world (400 points)
Kessel: Colony (50 points)
Dantooine: Colony (50 points)

Total: 600 points.

Hmm, mind if I grab myself Kamino and that planet with the Force blocking animals (what's it called)?

Kamino: Major world (400 points)
Force blocking planet: Minor world (100 points)

New Total: 1,100 points.
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Can anyone with more Star Wars Savvy than me recommend some CIS affiliated worlds to look into? I'm especially on the look out for separatist planets that were not run by Trade Federation, Banking Clan or other huge conglomerates. I plan on searching through wookiepedia to see what I can turn up.

My concept is basically old CIS hands who either turned mercenary or just went underground after the clone wars and are now reuniting. I also think I might want to be doing this at the expense of the Hutt's so info on Hutt affiliated planets info would also be welcome.

As far as rules go, I think custom designs should wait until after the game starts to avoid problems with wank and because I like the vanilla ship designs :D .
Last edited by Raj Ahten on 2009-05-07 09:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Master_Baerne wrote:I fully support Thanas' idea for planets, and the general consensus for custom ships.

This sounds good. I may take some more worlds as well, as my current choices aren't worth much. Here's how I'm counting them, just to make sure this is ok:

Tatooine: Minor world (100 points)
Geonosis: Major world (400 points)
Kessel: Colony (50 points)
Dantooine: Colony (50 points)

Total: 600 points.

Hmm, mind if I grab myself Kamino and that planet with the Force blocking animals (what's it called)?

Kamino: Major world (400 points)
Force blocking planet: Minor world (100 points)

New Total: 1,100 points.
Myrkr was the planet with the Force-blocking animals.

As for my own claims:

Fondor [homeworld]: 600 points
Abregado-rae [major world]: 400 points
Mrlsst [minor world]: 100 points
Subtotal of all worlds: 1100 points
Rsaj Ahten wrote:Can anyone with more Star Wars Savvy than me recommend some CIS affiliated worlds to look into? I'm especially on the look out for separatist planets that were not run by Trade Federation, Banking Clan or other huge conglomerates. I plan on searching through wookiepedia to see what I can turn up.
I was also doing some searching of my own regarding potential locations before finally deciding to set up shop in Fondor. From what I found out, Sullust, Sluis Van, Bestine, and Dac/Mon Calamari, all sites of major shipyards, were all CIS-affiliated at some point. Take that as you will.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Any chance we could get all the rules together in one place, including whatever changes we've agreed upon? Maybe in the OOB thread when that goes up?

As for mods, we have two volunteers (thank you Coyote and RogueIce). If we can get another that'd be great, but I don't see it as a big issue. We do, however, need a map maker.

There, I think that sumarizes where we're at now. Hopefully I haven't missed anything too important.:)
Last edited by The Romulan Republic on 2009-05-07 09:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Master_Baerne wrote:I'd recommend 1800 points as the maximum starting limit - It's equivalent to one homeworld and three major worlds, which should give us everyone some flexibility with regards to how many worlds they actually have, while still keeping the starting points reasonable.
I'll second this. I'll have to get back on the planets later, since everyone has already scooped up most of the worlds I actually know about (you bastards).

Has anyone taken Kuat? I'll probably nab them if not.
Raj Ahten wrote:As far as rules go, I think custom designs should wait until after the game starts to avoid problems with wank and because I like the vanilla ship designs :D .
Yay, a supporter! :D
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight