SDNWorld Redux: Story Thread the Fourth

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Siege
Sith Marauder

Re: SDNWorld Redux: Story Thread the Fourth

Post by Siege »

TO: His Excellency Count Adad, Minister for Transportation
FROM: Gregor Winters, Chief Marketing Officer, Trans-Frequesuan Railroad Corp.

Sir,

We have received your request for permission to construct an additional spur to the TRFR, and are excited by this opportunity to expand our scope of operations to include the Sovereign Duchy of Baerne. Currently we see two means of connecting your country to the Trans-Frequesuan; to wit, by expanding the railroad south from San Dorado to the capital of the Costa de las Cinco Muertes, or by expanding from the Tanstaafli border, south-west through the Costa, and into the Duchy. The latter has our preference, as it provides a speedier transportation link both up and downstream.

Please let us know which of these two options has your preference, and we can begin further negotiations at your earliest convenience.

Sincerely,

Gregor Winters
CMO, TRFR
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Ares Blog

Conservative Dominion Think-tank proposes "25-for-freedom"
The Dominion Enterprise Institute, a conservative think-tank in Wilhelmsburg, is getting ready to push for 2-dozen "deterrent submarines" for the Old Dominion Navy. The plan calls for 25 submarines whose sole purpose would be to "remain on patrol and provide a retaliation towards a CATO foreign attack on Dominionite soil." The DEI is referring to this as the "25-for-freedom" plan. The subs would either carry hypersonic cruise missiles or ballistic missiles.

"Frankly, I'm uncertain that the ODN will make any movement on this beyond a study." Says defense industry analyst Gregor Piker. "The current submarine fleet only has 13 hulls, and while there is a large amount of construction going on, the Fleet 2030 goal is for 18 SSN hulls, and the ODN has made no move to improve and expand facilities beyond that. I think the DEI has taken the joint-module study with the TXN and run with it."...[More]

More Hulks on the way for ODN?
Aiming at keeping costs low and stretching out the life of it's AEGIS force, the ODN has expressed interest in acquiring some of the recently decommissioned DDGs and FFGs from MESS allies as spares hulks for the current fleet. The Dominion Naval Institute has also put for a plan to acquire some of the late-model DDGs and use them to replace the original Flight I DDGs currently in ODN inventory...[More]
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

TO: Gregor Winters, Chief Marketing Officer, Trans-Frequesuan Railroad Corp.
FROM: His Excellency Count Adad, Minister for Transportation

Sir,

The second option, that of running the spur from Tanstaffl through the Costa, would have the added benfit of connecting those Costan regions currently under Ducal protection to the Duchy. We would be pleased to begin construction as soon as sufficient construction equipment and personnel can be assembled, likely by the end of the year. Your inspectors will be welcome at any time, of course.

Sincerely,

Count Adad
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Constantinople Times

Byzantine Heavy Industries indicates that it is in talks with Royal Zordinance over laser weapons

Byzantine Heavy Industries indicates that it is in talks with Royal Zordinance with regards to laser weapons. "Byzantine Heavy Industries has long invested in laser technologies, such as Thin-Zag ceramic laser which has yielded significant progress and is now used in the 1MW laser platform and also in liquid lasers which has now yielded tangible benefit. We are pleased to discuss possible licensing of the technology to Royal Zordinance, subject to the MoD's clearance of course." There is no expectation of any blocking from the MoD with regard to the licensing, since Zoria is an observer in CATO. Meanwhile, Kontos Munitions has indicated that it has developed a new 60KW laser module that can be used to reconfigure existing users of its 120KW laser. The replacement will allow users to scale up to 300KW. It has also indicated that its own fiber laser program has born fruit in that it is scaling past the 100KW limit.

Satellite imaging technologies for Submarine Periscopes

Next generation submarines now under construction and existing submarines will receive hyperspectral imaging devices, as well hyperPixel imaging to improve their abilities to collect intelligence. Such devices allow wide angle imaging, as well as the ability to penetrate camouflage.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

TO: His Excellency Count Adad, Minister for Transportation
FROM: Gregor Winters, Chief Marketing Officer, Trans-Frequesuan Railroad Corp.

Sieur Count,

It pleases me to inform you that the Board of the TRFR has agreed with your plans for a western spur from Tanstaafl through the Costa into the Sovereign Duchy, and that your proposed timetable for construction has been approved by our planners and engineers. Your engineers may coordinate their efforts with our planning and inspection staff, whom you can contact at...

[Random details of the agreement omitted, suffice it to say there's a whole bunch of boring numbers here concerning trajectory, inspection schedules, railway exploitation agreements, and so forth.]

Yours cordially,

Gregor Winters
CMO, TRFR
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

RED ONE: The Last Goodbye
Millions of people gather in Stasograd for the funeral of Comrade Stanislav

The funeral of former Crimson President Stanislav is set to be on of the most memorable funerals in history, as millions of people gather in the streets of Stasograd to say goodbye to their President and one of the most influential people of the Old Continent. The man who made the Union of Crimson and Shadow Republics a reality.

Security is tight, as the fears of another terrorist attack are still present

The entirety of the Combines leadership is set to attend the funeral, as well as many other prominent world leaders - many have come to honor the great Stanislav. Whether he was their friend, or the man that caused their nightmares to become a reality, one thing is sure - President Stanislav was a man worthy of respect and admiration.

The death of Stanislav has left many in tears, the Union itself weeps for him - he was considered by many to be the father of the UCSR and the main architect of it's creation, despite not being it's President.
A parade in honor of the Crimson President

The streets of Stasograd are filled with military parades in his honor and civilians who have come to honor the former Crimson President. With so many foreign leaders attending the funeral, and almost all CATO leaders present - security has been tightened and the presence of the UCSR's massive security apparatus can be felt everywhere. Nobody wishes to see a repeat of the recent Pezookian incident.

The Funeral

Stanislav was dead. The reality of it had hit President Shady hard. He lost one of his best friends in this world, he lost his mentor and his closest ally - it was not easy. He prepared a speech in his honor, but it felt unworthy, he could not find the words. And yet he could not remain silent.

He approached the podium and looked at the assembled group of people, men and women who came to say goodbye to Stanislav. Some were friends, some were potential friends or enemies, depending how you looked at it, and some were just plain assholes.

Pawns in the great game of chess, as Stanislav used to call them. Shady smiled, it was a sad smile.

"Comrades, Friends, I come before you today with great sadness in my heart. Stanislav was not just my friend but my mentor as well. He was a man on whose advice I could always count on. A man who worked his entire life with only one purpose, to better the lives of his people. Stanislav was, and I say this with pride, the father of our great nation. He was the one whose brilliant vision saw the Crimson and Shadow people stand united and strong. He was the one who made it possible for our Nation to become stronger than ever before."

Shady paused for a moment, taking a sip of water before continuing, this was not easy.

"The Union has lost it's greatest hero, it's founder - but we shall not let that loss bring us down. We shall honor the memory of Comrade Stanislav with great deeds done in his honor. I will personally ensure that his legacy is not forgotten, as the father of our nation, he deserves nothing less. I am happy to say that plans for an extension to the Palace of the Soviets are already underway. A great statue of Comrade Stanislav shall be built! So that our children never forget who this great man was."

"History will remember President Stanislav as a great man - a great President. I will remember his as a great friend and the greatest mentor and adviser that anyone could ask for. President Stanislav may be dead, but he will not be forgotten and his legacy shall live on!"

With those words President Shady stepped back and approached the casket, he placed his hand on the cold surface of the coffin and sighed.

"Farewell Stas, dearest of all my friends..."
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Timeless void

Stanislav opened his eyes. Q was smiling.

- I am most positively dead, - spoke the Crimson president with a hint of disgust. - No need to further torment me.

- You thought you're getting out so easy after you tried to break out from that game? - Q laughed. - Sorry, comrade, but I'll have to dissappoint you a little. You're not leaving any time soon.

- How many worlds will you have to ruin? - Stanislav could not feel or grasp his own body. - Just how many, Q?

- God loveth the Trinity, - Q's laughter was painful to watch. - Bog troitsu lubit! See, I know everything, comrade. Of course, the role of God is too boring without some gaming excitement, so I don't pretend to be one. But I like the game. And so will you.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Stasograd, UCSR

From the VIP stands (which of course weren't called that, communists being communists) Sidney looked impassively down on the massive display of Red power from behind a set of monstrously expensive sunglasses. He seemed calm, but was anything but – as a top businessman and former world leader he had long learned to disguise and dissemble any feeling behind a mask of apparent impassivity.

He wouldn't speech today – he had plenty to say, but it was very much questionable whether a speech by a criminally rich industrialist would go over well at the funeral of the world's foremost communist leader. The Stasograd audience would probably not appreciate the irony. And so he was determined to remain silent today.

Beside him the current President of the NFT however had other plans. “You're a hard man to get a hold of these days, Sidney” whispered Willy Bank under his breath as he turned his piercing eyes ever so slightly toward him. “Care to tell me what you're up to in Velaria?”

Sidney angled his sunglasses toward the president and raised an eyebrow. “I've no idea what you're talking about.”

Bank snorted. “Yeah, right. Teodoro Macias is assassinated, the next government of Bissauru begins its rule by handing out fat contracts to you and all your friends, and you tell me you've got nothing to do with that? A left leaning government hands contracts to NFT companies like candy, just like that?”

The tycoon innocently shrugged. “It must be our reputation.”

Bank narrowed his eyes. “They could've gone anywhere, but they went to Ralson for security, they went to Sinclair for medicine, they went to Triassic for their mines, they went to you for the extraction of their oil... I don't care what you tell the world, Hank, that's more than reputation. And of all the people capable of orchestrating something like this I'm betting real money it was you who engineered this situation.”

Sidney took off his sunglasses and bored his eyes into those of the president. “Can you prove it?”

Bank made a throwaway gesture. “No. Of course not. Call it a hunch. And it's doing nothing but good for us, so I'm not going to pursue it any further... But next time, do me a favour.”

“Yeah?”

“Call me in advance.”

Sidney smiled and put his sunglasses back on. “I'll think about it.” He pointed at the Red Square and changed the subject. “Seems like the parade's about to resume.”
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Executive Briefing room, Royal Palace

"Cheers Stas, couldn't have happened to a nicer person." With that Lonestar drank the shot of Liquid Banjo and turned the volume to mute. The 46" OLED displays were still showing some party apparatchik talking. He coughed, then turned to the Director of the Bureau of Military Information, LTG Sharpe. "Well? Any word?"

"Agent Wade should be touching down now..."

Customs, Super Mega Tōkyō International Airport

If there was one thing that the Japanistanis loved, it was putting the gaijin in their place. And Wade had been "put in his place" for 3 hours, in a seemingly endless line at Customs&Immigration. He had flown in on one of the weekly Air Nippon flights from Wilhelmsburg to Tokyo, and the only benefit was that his cover meant he got to fly in business. He wouldn't have put it past the government to cramming him into coach if they thought they could get away with it. His number was called, and he advanced to the waiting customs agent, a squat man who wore enough ribbons that you'd think he had gone campaigning in Sumatra.

"Name?" In heavily accented Saxon, although his information was all in the passport.

"William Wade."

The customs agent seemed surprised at the voice, then continued. "Purpose of visit?"

<Business>

<You have been to Japanistan before?>

<Yes. When I was in the army I worked at the Defense Attache office at the Dominion Embassy>

"Hmmph." The man was clearly put out that the foreign barbarian could speak the language. <What sort of business do you have her, Mr. Wade?>

<I am here for a conference, may I?> Wade removed his right glove and rolled up his sleeves, exposing his arm. The customs agent leaned forward, mesmerized. Japanistanis had a thing for robots, and unlike Western culture, there wasn't an expectation of a a Robot revolt taking over and killing everyone. <I'm a spokesman for InGen...>

<Ah so! Yes, one of your San Doradon competitors came through yesterday. He had a similar arm. I have a few more questions...>

As Wade expected, the questions were mostly ones about his arm, the sort that someone just curious would ask. After a _very_ long set of questions(and a roundabout monologue on Macross) he was released. He gathered his baggage and boarded the subway to the Imperial Grand Hotel, where the conference was being held. And where his contact was.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Prime Nori - Interlude

Nippon Telegraph And Telephone server hub #32, outside Cairo

"He can't do it. Come on!", remarked John C. Cooper, Shinra 1st SOG, the mission's computer expert, "No way. It was crazy even when you talked about it back in Canissia."

Captain Nalecki, the mission's commander, just smiled and nodded. The kid had a point: the building in front of them was a massive, fortified complex not unlike a military command post, with a high sensor-laden fence, cameras all over and armed patrols.

"Comrade Fiszerski is a capable man", curiously, it was Hammer who defended their break-in artist, "He has caused great inconvenience to the KGB in his time."

"Oh, bullshit. Fifty says he can't cut it."

"Cooper, can't you just shut up and do your job?", Sergeant Kralewski seemed more than irritated. He didn't say that his attitude came from nervousness: he had no idea if Fiszerski could cut it, either. Sure, the man had a fierce reputation...back in his time. And that was more than a decade ago. He watched the building through his rifle's scope, noting the patrol routes, inwardly wondering how much longer they'd wait before calling the mission a failure.

Cooper's laptop beeped, making its operator jump with surprise. He examined the screen curiously.

"I'll be...", he muttered, seeing a firm connection to the internal network, It's a good thing nobody took that bet...

He felt Nalecki kneel besides his post. The small team was well concealed between the myriad rocks that littered the area outside Cairo, "How long will it take you?", he asked.

"Not long. I'm connected right to the security server, just give me a couple of minutes..."

Somehow, when it became clear they'd be going inside, nervousness set in. Untill a few seconds ago, chances were they'd abort the mission and go home...now, they'd have to risk capture and death.

Everyone present cast these thoughts aside quickly, though. They had a job to do.

"Yes!", Cooper hissed, "I'm in. The software is all in place, they should be blind in less than a minute."

"Good. Pack up, it's time to move out."

Hub #32, inside

The tech managed to surprise Fiszerski. He had no time to dwell on the fact it would've never happened when he was still working for Section II: the Japanistani turned around and began to flee, screaming his head off, so taking him down suddendly became very urgent.

<Help! Intruder!>, the man screamed in Japanistani, running down the corridor. It seemed as if the building's entire security detail heard him already.

He caught up and tackled the man, with both of them smashing into a cart full of cleaning supplies as they tumbled to the ground. He hit the tech once, between the eyes, and he passed out immediately.

Hearing footsteps, Fiszerski grabbed the limp body and dragged him towards the nearest door. He could only hope there wasn't anyone inside who'd decide to stir up even more of a ruckus.

Hub #32, lobby

Hassan liked his post. He liked it so much, in fact, that he's turned down promotion twice already: a promotion meant more responsibility, and more scrutiny from the higher ups. His current post paid enough to cover the bills, and nothing ever happened this late at night anyway. It was the perfect job: other than the occasional round by the shift supervisor, Hassan could just relax and read his favorite mystery novels all night long.

Except tonight. Because a huge man, a hulking giant dressed in military fatigues just came through the front door, and walked straight up to the front security desk.

"Hello", he said, in terribly accented Farsi, "Could I use the bathroom please?"

The sheer absurdity of the question left Hassan flabbergasted. Even when the giant casually reached out over the front desk and pulled the security guard from his chair, lifting him up into the air by his shirt, he still couldn't say a word.

"I guess not, then.", the giant commented dryly, "Now, please cooperate, and nobody will get hurt."

Hassan nodded weakly, "Where are the main routers located?", the stranger asked. Two more joined him, one of them jamming the entry doors.

"They occupy the entire third floor", Hassan gasped.

"Thank you", the giant said, and slammed Hassan's head with his own. The guard slipped into merciful oblivion with no regret, happy not to know what would happen next.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Flower Lounge, Imperial Grand Hotel, Super Mega Tokyo

<Mr. Wade? I am Major Toyoda. I would like to say you had a truly outstanding presentation> The man wore wireframe glasses with a neat mustache and a uniform with creases so sharp one could cut someone with them. He had walked over to the booth that Wade had occupied after the convention ended for the day.

<Thank you Major. Will you join me?> Wade had instantly recognized the man from the briefs, standing in the crowd as a Aide to the Deputy Minister of the Army. <Sake?> He waved down a server.

"Domo." <Thank you for the invitation Mr. Wade. I must say, I am impressed that your company hired a former soldier such as yourself as the spokesman for their line of prosthetics.>

<In the Old Dominion, we give great respect to our military.> Wade said. In many ways only ourselves and the Imperial Armies of the Huang Di put as much emphasis on warrior ethos as your nation does.>

<That may be so.> Toyoda allowed. Wade was getting irritated, and wished he would get to the point.

<I think, perhaps, our two great nations can learn a lot from each other.>

<There may be too much bad blood.>

<Maybe. But our conflicts in the past have been trifling to compared to the Shepistanis...and we have since welcomed the survivors of that country into our own.>

<Technical personnel, perhaps...>

<No, civilians as well. A Shepistani is now as much a resident or citizen of the Dominion as a Saxon. We are very much open to changing our relationship.>

<Even if that were true, there are many within the cabinet who are pleased with the current state of affairs.>

<Pleased? Pleased with your isolation? The encirclement by enemies who seek your destruction? Is there no one in your cabinet who think that change is needed, else you will be passed by?> Wade was wishing that one of the Shepistani Expats who had arranged the meeting was here, it would be going a lot quicker.

<Some. The Deputy Minister of the Army...many of the Imperial Staff, as well as men in the Sumatran Army.>

Which is code word for "a bunch of field grade officers", Wade thought. It amazed him that such a coup was possible in a country like Japanistan, but then, Admiral Suzuki still carried a bullet from one such coup. The trick would be making this "Captains' Coup" go for the Dominion's advantage...and making it stick. <No one else? Such as in the Navy?>

<Sadly, the navy is very tradition bound, and most do not see the need to change the way things are.>

Oh Shit. Wade thought. The ODN could take on the IJN...maybe. What if the coup happened and the IJN sailed out? What then? What if it become public knowledge that the Old Dominion and Tian Xia were backing the coup plotters? Somehow Wade didn't think that the IJN would go out without bloodying the nose the the ODN, certainly sufficiently to leave Shepland naked and vulnerable to CATO...<That...that is unfortunate.> Wade replied.

<If the progressives were to gain the Emperor's trust, I think the IJN would accept inevitability.>

<If I may be frank, and forgive my rudeness.> Wade waited until Toyoda nodded. <The Dominion, I think, would very much welcome progressives in power, would would certainly extend a hand to those who seek it within your nation.>

The faintest of smiles. <I am glad to hear it, and I am sure the Deputy Minister will be as well.>

<My flight is scheduled to leave tomorrow, and I must return home. You know Mr. Obeidi?> He was referring to one of the former Shepistani ISI men who now worked in the Kempeitei.

"Hai."

<He will be our go-between. When the time comes, I will be here to help. I even know of a man who can bring the traditionalists in-line when after the change of the political situation.>

<Who?>

<Hideko Shroomjo> Wade watched Toyoda's eyes widen. <And now, my friend, I'm afraid I must head to bed. It has been a very long day and I am very tired...>
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Ares Blog

Dominion SECWAR calls for acceleration of SSN program

Citing the CATO undersea threat, Secretary of War Oscar Saldana has signalled that he would like to "expedite by every means possible" the ODN's SSN program. The 10-ship program began in 2008, with 2 new Blue Crab class SSNs ordered, and an order of 8 Crawdad-class SSNs. Currently the Block II Crawdads are under construction.

ODN to purchase 6 intra-theatre logistics vessels
With the overwhelming success of the HSV Swift, the ODN is going ahead with the purchase of 6 similiar ships.

"The Swift was originally leased to facilitate logistics to anf from Sirnoth from Shepland." Says defense analyst Gregory Piker. "Since then it's seen service around the Impact Crater, on the waterways of the Shepistani Security Zones...even deployed to Tian Jiao in support of the INTERNAL LOOK exercise. Several such ships would be of use in a major war with CATO. I can see them being used along the Canissan Coast and in Tian Jiao in that eventuality."
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Ares Blog

Analysis of the Byzantine Colossus class carrier

It quite simply, doesn't make sense. It has a pair of nuclear reactors 3 times the power of that featured on the MESS Michelle Branch class. Additionally, it has a pair of 60 MW gas turbines for back up power. All this on a hull half the displacement of the Branch. The ship itself is only about 100 feet shorter than the Branch so it should not require that much extra power, even taking into account advanced, power hungry, technology. It's also exceedingly unlikely that in a dual plant ship, both reactors will fail, and as such, unlikely that 120 MW of power will be necessary as a backup supply. It's likely that it reverts to steam catapults, which makes sense from the fact that the output of the reactors is quoted in thermal energy. Redevelopment of electromagnetic catapults, which is a primary reason why the Branch has itself, triple the power capacity of the earlier Zeus class. This additional amount of power has deleterious effects on space inside the hull, reducing the space available for the mission.

It utilizes significant amounts of deck space and topweight to accomdate it's "self-protection" outfit. There is at least 500 tons of mass devoted to it's long range missile armament, not to mention a very large section of the flight deck. 500 tons may not sound like a lot compared to the weight of the carrier itself, but it's about 10 aircraft worth of weight or more, for just the missiles themselves. Additionally, there's a massive amount close in weapon systems. It's 3 times as dense as on a Branch. This is actually closer in conception to the rest of the Eastern Bloc's carrier designs, which feature heavy missile loads in addition to their air wing. This is in distinct contrast to the Western conception of the use of carriers, which is that the air wing is everything, and everything supports the air wing. Thus, on a Western carrier, you'll typically see maybe two dozen short range missiles, plus their CIWS.

The design is also inherently compromised by the dictation of a dual role ship. Critical spaces must be located in areas that aren't converted in the LHD version. The Chatham Isle class was only able to successfully enlarge the hangar and keep the well deck by lengthening the entire ship a massive amount. Additionally the design requirements of a LHD dictate a much fuller hull form, which reduces speed, and requires a larger power plant. The CATOBAR design detracts from the LHD mission, in that the primary aviation use of a LHD is the helicopter facilities. The additional weight of the catapults and arresting gear are of no help.

MESS Global Weather Satellite System upgraded

The upgraded system will consist of 4 new geostationary satellites, plus an additional quartet of polar orbitting satellites. The existing spacecraft in orbit will be downgraded to in-orbit spares. The GOES birds will provide 24/7 imaging of the whole globe, in the visible spectrum, near IR, mid IR, and far IR, near UV, and far UV. The will additionally be carrying out space weather observations, with magnetometers, x-ray sensors, high energy proton and alpha detectors, energetic particles sensors, and solar imagers. They are placed at 0, 90W, 180 and 90E.

The POES satellites have a similar instrumentation load, but have much greater resolution, due to the lower altitude. They additionally carry a microwave radiometer for imaging of atmospheric temperature and humidity. They will orbit in sun-synchronous orbits with a 102 minute period.

A third satellite type will be used for space weather observations in a halo orbit of the Sun-Terra L1 point. Each satellite has a national MESS sponsor. Shinra, for example, is sponsoring GOES West. Canissia is sponsoring GOES 0. Tian Xia is sponsoring 2 POES satellites, named FengYun 1 & 2.

Tian Xia Army modernization continues with the Future Soldier

Some of the biggest components of this initiative is the wiring of the individual soldier. Each soldier would recieve his own networked computer, which will provide augmented reality overlays as well as various other necessary functions. Weight and volume minimization are crucial, with the computer projected to be the size of the Orange oPhone.

--

Nuclear test area 16
Shinra

"So what's the deal with this one?"

"No fissile in the primary."

"Interesting..."

"You notice this big honking thing next to the primary? It's a explosive flux compression generator. Inside the primary is a z-pinch. EFCG goes boom, creates a really big current that's conducted to the Z-pinch. Z-pinch implodes, and causes fusion of a pellet inside. Yield of that is about 1.2 gigajoules. Tiny, I know, but that then drives the compression of another stage, with a yield of about 10 tons. This isn't a full up test, of course. It's really only going to be testing the rather miniscule primary."

"You said explosive?"

"Yeah, it uses ONC as the explosive. Much more effective than TNT. Almost 3 times more effective."

--

DGHN-4 Monnahan
several months ago

"Alright, lets fire 'er up! APU?"

"Starting." With a whine the gas turbine was kicked into revolution. It was started by stored power in a small supercapacitor bank.

"APU started, sir."

"Fusion One?"

"Bringing power up inside the reactor. Coolant pumps started. Steam turbines have begun producing power. Reactor power increasing. Break even reached. APU power output zero. APU winding down. Fusion One online."

"Bring up Fusion Two."

"Bringing up power inside Fusion Two. Coolant pumps started. Steam turbines have begun producing power. Reactor power increasing. Break even reached."

"Very good. Bridge, this is Engineering. Reactors started and ready to get underway."
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Prime Noir - interlude

Nippon Telegraph And Telephone server hub #32, outside Cairo

The door opened easily enough: but rather than provide a safe refuge, it turned out to lead straight into yet another problem. The smell of freshly made coffee telegraphed that fact even before Fiszerski could see the janitor using the coffee machine.

He reacted quickly, though, dropping the body he was dragging and reaching for his pistol. The janitor didn't even notice the intruder before he had to stare down the barrell.

"Hush.", Fiszerski said in Farsi. It was hard to argue with that command, "You're spilling your drink.", he added, pointing to the tilted coffee pot in the janitor's hand, "You better put that down."

The surprised man obeyed, "Now drag him in", came another order, obviously concerning the knocked-out IT techie, "And shut the door."

Not a minute later, two armed soldiers from the hub's security detail came running into the corridor. They noticed quickly that something was amiss - not that it was difficult, with an overturned janitor's cart and the floor filled with toilet paper.

They both sprinted towards the secure door leading into the room that housed the main security servers. One of them tried the handle, and opened the door effortlessly.

This caused alarm. The sophisticated RFID lock was supposed to be impenetrable, and was the immediate reason why there wasn't a guard posted at the door at all times.

Fiszerski was watching the scene closely. The tech and janitor were both locked in the supply closet, zipcuffed and secure.

"Fuck", he said, seeing one of the guards reach for his radio. He examined his options quickly - and there weren't all that many of them.

Hub #32, third floor, router room

"Holy shit...why so many guards?", Cooper asked incredulously, watching through the hub's cameras. He's hijacked the feeds at the same time his virus disconnected sensors on the fence from the security grid.

"Japanistanis consider telecommunications strategically important, comrade Cooper. All communications hubs are protected by the Kempeitai."

"But we're in freakin' Egypt...", Cooper commented to nobody in particular. He and Kralewski attempted to count all the guards, patrolling the gigantic, climate-controlled hall stacked with router shelves, "They even have a nice elevated position to shoot at us from."

"I count twenty", Kralewski announced.

"Well, that's great.", Cooper slammed his laptop shut, "Anybody's got any ideas?"

"It's not that bad. We can...", Nalecki began, but was interrupted mid-sentence by the blaring of alarm sirens.

"Well, this cans that idea."

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Ares Blog

ODN Prepares for largest Joint Exercise since MAROON HARVEST

The Old Dominion, Tian Xia, and OICAS member states are scheduled to begin one of the largest joint-exercises since the MESS-wide MAROON HARVEST this week, with the moniker NORTHERN LOOK.

The Exercise will primarily involve Air and Naval units operating North of Shepland. Two OICAS taskforces(composed primarily of ODN vessels but including Sirnothi and Augustine ships) and one TXN Task Force will be wargaming.

OICAS TF-12
CVN-Lord Fairfax
CAGN-Ronaldus Magnus, Lighthorse Lee
DDGN-Arlington
CG-Lord de la Warr
DDG-Fairfax City, Richmond
FFG-Potomac
FF-S.N.S. Neunkirchen, S.N.S. Baden
SSN-Manta, Flounder
AOE-Loudon County

OICAS TF-14
LHD(as STOVL)-Intolerant
LHD(as CVH)-Victory
CAGN-Revenge
DDGN-Asheville
CG-Susan Constant
DDG-Jamestown, Norfolk, Sterling
FFG-Rapidan, York, A.N.S. Halberd
PF-Neuse River
SSN-Eel
SSK-A.N.S. Unseen
AOE-Henrico County
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Ares Blog

Tian Xia contingent for NORTHERN LOOK announced

A number of newly commissioned ships have been sent to take part in this exercise. This includes the Tian Xia Navy's newest supercarrier, the Michelle Branch class Valiant.

TX TF-5
CVN-22 Valiant
CGN-5 Wight
DGN-70 Kong
DGN-94 Dauntless
DGN-100 Dervish
DGHN-4 Monnahan
DGH-5 Relentless
FG-63 Aujoeng
FG-72 Sitou
KG-30 Atwood
SSN-517 Thresher
SSN-547 Bluefin
AOE-5 Bridge
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

Palace of the Soviets, Stasograd
"As you can see, parts of the MESS are holding one of their naval exercises North of Shepland, not much there of interest - but I would advise we keep an eye on them. Just in case." The Admiral said and leaned back in his chair.

"Agreed." President Shady said and placed the folder on the desk. "Observe only, make sure there are no accidents, Admiral."

"Of course Comrade President. I will see to it myself." The Admiral said and excused himself. After he left the room Yuri simply frowned and waved his hand.

"What is it Comrade Yuri?" Shady asked, interested in Yuri's strange reaction.

"Nothing." Yuri replied coldly. "I have my suspicions about this exercise, so I will keep a close eye on the situation." He said and got up to leave.

"As you wish." Shady said. "But please make sure you don't forget your...other important task."

Yuri simply glanced at the President and left the room. As if he could forget something. "I was here long before you Comrade President, and I will be here long after you're gone." He thought to himself and sighed. Sometimes, he missed Stanislav. Things were much simpler in the old days.

As Yuri left, Shady found himself thinking of the future and what would come next. The CATO meeting was coming fast, it was scheduled to occur in a week. The alliance was about to make some significant announcements, such as it's observers becoming full members and the introduction of a new member state.

The other thing on his mind was Karic, the bastard was still at large and he still had Paul's daughter, and considering what he and his allies were about to do, things could get real bad, real fast. Still, there was no other choice. The operation was already underway.

He sighed and opened a laptop like device on his desk.

"Let's see..." He said as the device came to life. "You...could prove to be quite useful."
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Navy Announces that Submarine Forces will be joining NORTHERN LOOK

Contributing to the newest round of MESS naval exercises the Ministry of Defense has confirmed that Submarine Squadron 3 based out of the Panama Province will be joining the exercise. The role is obviously obscured as such war games aside from their participants tend to be matters of high state security. Several officials have, however, indicated that the SUBRON is intended to continue to work on Anti Submarine Tactics throughout MESS aligned navies.

Additional forces will not be available for this exercise as a bi-annual internal training exercise called EAGLES NEST will be taking place in the Gulf of Mexico during the same period involving much of the Atlantic Fleet.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

Personal residence of Chief Justice Eiki Shiki
Ashford City

FILE PHOTO: Artist's impression of Chief Justice Eiki Shiki in her days as a cadet at the Langley Naval Academy, date unknown

Eiki Shiki had quite the legacy to live up to, considering that her parents were daring enough to name her after Shikieiki Yamaxanadu, the judge of the dead in Langley native folklore. By all accounts, she was a prodigy; she forced her way into the Naval Academy at the age of fourteen and received her commission and a double major in economcis and political science at seventeen, earned her Juris Doctor and passed her bar exams at twenty, and finally gained admission into the Judge Advocate General's Corps at twenty-one. Shiki was just a Lieutenant and had only been with the JAG Corps for a year when Lelouch's Black Rebellion broke out in 2007. During the subsequent purge and reorganization of the government, she found herself appointed Chief Justice of the reformed Supreme Court of the Duchy of Langley; due to the fact that she retained her commission (and was even promoted to Admiral by Lelouch's edict as well), there were concerns over military interference with civilian affairs, though she quickly silenced the opposition with her performance.

Despite being generally regarded as highly liberal (she overturned the sham convictions of political prisoners detained under the previous regimes and worked to rehabilitate most nonviolent offenders, among other things), Chief Justice Shiki was notorious for the extremely hard line she took on various crimes, her "reformation" of the capital punishment system, and the reintroduction of forced labor as a viable form of punishment. While she abolished the electric chair, the gas chamber, and lethal injection as execution methods, she reintroduced hanging, the guillotine, and the firing squad and mandated that all executed criminals have their organs harvested. Depending on their severity, the various forms of white-collar crime became punishable only by life imprisonment in a labor camp or death. Langley's lèse majesté laws, unenforced since the overthrow of Duchess Asuka in 1961, were brought back in force, leading to the infamous "Doujinshi Trials" of 2017 and the subsequent conviction and imprisonment of several manga artists for defamation and sedition.

Asides from human rights activists, Chief Justice Shiki's greatest enemies were right-wing extremists and organized crime. Lelouch loathed and despised the far right, and the Supreme Court was among his many accomplices in suppressing those who were perceived to be reactionaries; Shiki personally presided over the trials of several prominent conservative activists and pundits, sentencing the majority of them to a lifetime of forced labor for sedition. The yakuza and many other crime organizations found their ranks thinned significantly in the years since Shiki's ascent to the Supreme Court, with the vast majority of their members finding themselves either slaving away in gulags or outright dead; while the yakuza and the other large gangs and mafias managed to survive, albeit in a weakened state, the smaller groups never recovered and were simply annihilated.

ImageImage
FILE PHOTOS: Artists' impressions of yakuza hitmen Yuji Hino (left) and Satoshi Hiraga (right), late 2017

The Kugimiya family was the largest yakuza family in Langley and one of the hardest hit by Chief Justice Shiki's purges. With the current oyabun, Alphonse Kugimiya, serving several consecutive life sentences in a labor camp, the affairs of the family were now being managed by his younger sisters Shana and Louise until a new boss could be appointed to officially replace him. They signed off on an assassination attempt on Shiki, to be carried out by two of the Kugimiyas' many contract killers, Yuji Hino and Satoshi Hiraga. Yuji and Satoshi were allowed to plan the exact details of the hit themselves; after a few days of observation and deliberation, they elected to strike at Shiki's home, which was supposedly only lightly guarded by a few Langley Royal Guards.

Chief Justice Shiki's personal residence

However, on the day of the actual hit, things started going wrong for Yuji and Satoshi the moment they set foot on the house grounds. Satoshi's attempt to eliminate Royal Guard Sergeant Daniela Bravo on the front porch was momentarily thwarted when his silenced Walther P99 jammed; after clearing the jam, he managed to fire his weapon once at Sergeant Bravo's back, though the subsonic rounds of his pistol failed to penetrate her body armor. An annoyed Daniela simply drew her standard-issue Heckler & Koch USP45 Compact, turned around, and fired two shots at Satoshi, nailing him directly in the shoulder and just barely missing his head; the sounds of her fire drew the attention of two other guards in the complex, Corporals Francesca Villanueva and Josephine Tanaka, who scrambled out front to respond.

Corporal Lena Castillo was currently busy holding down the rear of the house when she heard the first gunshots ring out. She got up from the bench she was sitting on and started towards the front yard to investigate, only to be greeted by Yuji, who pulled out a silenced Heckler & Koch USP9 Tactical and fired four shots directly into her chest; again, the subsonic ammunition required to make effective use of a silencer failed to penetrate her armor, though the impact did stagger her somewhat, which was enough to convince Yuji that he had eliminated her. Continuing on, Yuji then ran afoul of Sergeant Janine Dominguez, who came out back to look for Corporal Castillo. Yuji fired three times at Sergeant Dominguez, hitting her in the hip, chest, and shoulder; she merely retreated back into the house and locked down the back entrance, denying Yuji entry into the house.

Yuji turned his attention to the gunfight between Satoshi and the other Royal Guards out front, which wasn't going very well for the former. Yuji aimed his pistol at Sergeant Bravo's back and fired twice, though this failed to affect her in any way. In any case, Yuji came too late to help his partner; Satoshi took two more hits in the shoulder and neck from Corporal Villanueva, then was finished off by a single shot to the chest from Corporal Tanaka. Yuji himself fell soon afterwards, killed unceremoniously with a single shot to the head by the supposedly-dead Corporal Castillo.

Chief Justice Shiki had been busy playing video games in the upstairs den when she heard the sounds of actual gunfire from outside mixing in with the sounds of the virtual gunfire from her Degenatron 720. She paused her game, reached for a SIG-Sauer P220 in .45 ACP lying on a table, and went downstairs to investigate, only to be stopped by Sergeant Dominguez.

"What the hell's going on out there?" Chief Justice Shiki asked.

"Two armed men came onto the grounds to try to assassinate you," Sergeant Dominguez replied. "They've both been taken care of."

"I know I've pissed off a lot of people over the past decade. Once you find out who employed these men, hunt them down and bring them to me. This time, it's personal."

RESULTS:

Two semi-competent hitmen are hired by the yakuza to assassinate Chief Justice Eiki Shiki, only to be killed themselves.

Also, political repression.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Columbia Underground Defense Blog
CLASSIFIED ALERT

So loyal legionaires for truth and the Wilkonite Way I've managed to obtain snippets of a white paper (WHITE paper) that is going to be presented to the naval budget committe, including those two commie fags Jiminez and Haskins, when they meet to start discussing next year's budget.

It looks like finally the eggheads and limp wrists have finally figured out that the CATO munchers only respond to the truth about our military dominance. Hell its almost living proof that we don't need to nuke the suckers to kick there ass since we just need a few more boats to do the job. Anyway here are the bits I was able to grab:
While SOSUS II covers approaches to close launch distance and OTH-SW/B installations plus satellite integration should detect such launches there is the threat of saturation. Additional SSN patrol capacity would allow for tracking from port of departure through to any arrival point for launch against the American continent.

While the guided missile attack squadron is considered a possible focus point this study rejects the thesis that they may be used effectively. The constricted approaches to most likely engagement targets means the threat of detection is higher. The prevalence of IADS throughout most of the developed world means that SSBN options which entered design stages are also unlikely to succeed. Given this dilemma the recommendations of the study committee are to focus on deterrent use of SSN assets by promulgating a next generation sub design to begin replacing the Lima class at the 15 year mark (2022) for new builds.
So basically buil a few more subs and we can just start tailgatting those neato CATO subs right to an early grave whenever they get pissy again. More juice:
Atlantic Operations must be focused on potential war scenarios against either Imperial Japanistan or the principal concentration of CATO power on the Old Continent. While several notable Byzantine and USCR ports are located on the Pacific side the majority of fleet elements are located within the Mediterranean. While the close confines make carrier operations unwise plans call for TF elements to stop traffic into the sea in order to render an economic blockade. Principal missions will be centered around an air defense of Canissia to support incoming troop arrivals. Once ASW procedures are in effect Surface Units may move in to the sea in order to engage in point targeting of CATO assets along with extending Air Defense coverage further East. The Atlantic Fleet constitutes the largest naval maneuver body in such a confrontation and carrier assets must remain sufficiently mobile to deter CATO breakout and effect a moderate-close naval blockade.
Now thats the shit that I've been waiting to hear. Glen Beckstrom is right, fuck these commie evil jihadistanis just start chucking bombs and then blockade them to death.

----
/OOC The WIN is prepared to present a much more nuanced paper to its budget oversight committee detailing the increased focus on Submarine forces after spending the last two decades building the largest carrier striking force in the world however the nutsos behind the far right parties in Wilkonia are using select quotes to ramp up anti-CATO rhetoric.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

The Trans-Continental. Epilogue.
Rudolph Sikorski oversaw the colossal train that stood firmly on a two-track way extending far away to Canissia, breaching the borders like an iron arrow of a giant world-sized clock that shall never move. The Trans-Continental. A dream of science and technology, a creation fuelled by a desire for friendship combined with industrial investment, now serving as the largest artery for foreign arrivals into the Union.

The political course of the late Comrade Stanislav returned the status of a superpower to the Union, albeit not without a cost - the relations with the MESS super-alliance were undeniably damaged, possibly even broken for years to come. Sikorski didn't really know if Stanislav was to take all the blame for that, or if the MESS even warranted attention after all the political games of the alliance that Stanislav found utterly disgusting.

The mighty train followed at a stable pace of around 100 kph, stopping only at large cities with populations over several hundred thousand. As the railway arteria crossed the former borders of the CSR, it followed on to Sarajevo. The Union was a sight to behold - the old second-world decaying infrastructure was being replaced by modern technological process lines from Zoria and Byzantium, and often the old factories bristled new pipes and new equipment sticking right out of the old decaying warehouses, an illustration of rebirth.

In time one would see the train cross the border to Pezookia - border security here was pretty lax in both directions, but it's presence was felt. The CATO was not cut off by an iron curtain like the CSR once was in it's early days of international isolation. Instead, CATO borders were like nets set up on the way - a net in Pezookia, the next net at the UCSR border and finally the internal entry-exit control posts in Stasograd and COMMUNE-1, most important cities that had special access controls in place. It may have seemed porous, but it operated smoothly enough.

The world was most definetely living in an atmosphere of a mild cold war, but it's manifestations often were amusing. Mandatory checkpoints at the Pezookia-UCSR border were made into luxuriously looking station-hotel complexes integrated with the checkpoints, so as to create a favourable impression on the waiting people. The resort city that was the checkpoint between Canissia and Pezookia has turned into a giant fair, and the check-up corridor was filled with various duty-free shops - a special decision to use duty-free shopping that was once only used in airports. The individual good relations often mitigated the tight relations between the large powerblocs themselves.

In Canissia the train followed to the capital. This was the final station for ordinary passengers - tourists, businessmen, politicians and others - but not for Sikorski. As the representative of the IEH project administration outlet, he would follow with the train for another half-a-day to the enormous construction site where the giant track would be put into the expanding undersea channel to Shroomania. The Trans-Continenal railway was close to having it's final destination changing to Farbanti. And ultimately, everywhere from Jerusalem to Farbanti, that railway signified the cultural and territorial desire for unity in the Old Continent.

Sikorski hummed to himself as he oversaw the giant construction site after several days of travel. Perhaps some day the old alliances would wither away. Canissia may leave the MESS, or the MESS might alltogether collapse due to alien interests of the superstates composing it and the heavy burden of militarization. CATO may transform or fall apart if it's members will start developing rifts in a while from now. Even Japanistan under the new administration could someday join the other nations of the continent, bringing the railway from Jerusalem to Tokyo. No matter what unions will be formed and what will come to pass, that railway will remain a link for the entire continent.

A lot of events happened in the world since Rudolph first came into the then-decaying PCIA office in the CSR to file his application for service. But Sikorski was sure that the times were getting better. There were still things to do, and battles to be won, but he was proud that he made his contribution to the great success of the Crimson Star.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Selene, Camp Lem

"And so, we're back to where it all began"

The words uttered by colonel Jurij Petrovich Gagarinski would be forgotten, in time. No large media stations transmitted this landing, as was normal for the last two years. The first words of that Wilkonian, Meadow, would be remembered by the entire world for centuries to come - but any landing since then steadily gathered less and less attention, with people of the world caught up in their own affairs. Uncaring.

They won't even know that everything changed today, Gagarinski thought, as he let go of the ladder and felt his boots sink slightly into the lunar surface. The massive LK-II lander towered above him, sharp light glinting off the isolation foil.

"Comona, I am on the ground. Lander looks good.", he reported, and then took a look around the landing site.

"This is magnificient..."

He wasn't talking about the sights, despite the fact that the alien landscape made more than one man hold his breath. The plateau that was to become Camp Lem was littered with equipment.

Cargo containers, automated vehicles, earth-moving equipment, construction materials...for eight months now, since the final selection of Camp Lem as the site of the first lunar settlement, cargo ships launched atop massive Vulkan-II rockets plowed across space, setting down with practiced ease, guided by sophisticated navigational software. Much cargo was lost - Gagarinski's crew would have to secure the nuclear core of at least one electric bulldozer - and the entire enterprise incurred costs that were truly exhorbitant. And between it all, there stood the first FASTA lander to touch down upon the lunar surface: well clear of the main landing site, but still quite visible, silhouetted against the pitch-black sky.

It was all worth it., Gagarinski thought. All the countless hours of training and preparation, all the money spent by countries of the world on space travel...Looking at the construction site of the first semi-permanent lunar settlement, Gagarinski was absolutely certain that what he was looking at contained the future of mankind.

As the rest of his four-man crew joined him in the appreciation of the landing site, the Earth - so distant, so fragile when gazed at from across this distance - shone upon them in the night sky, reminding the cosmonauts of the homes they left so far away. For the next months, this would be their home.

Perhaps, in time, some of them would come here to live permanently? Perhaps Gagarinski would one day look out into the Stasograd sky, trying to find stars that marked the places that humanity, in their stubborn defiance of the natural order, claimed for themselves and their children?

Such grand visions, he thought, and born out of such humble beginnings.

"Boss?", one of his crewmen asked, "Everything okay?"

"Uh, yes. Thank you, John, everything checks out.", Gagarinski activated his radio, "Pioneer 9 crew reporting from the surface. Comms check."

"We hear you loud and clear, Pioneer 9. We're ready to proceed with surface operations."

"Copy that, Comona. Change designation to Lem Base."

"Designation change confirmed. You are go for construction prep."

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Executive Briefing Room, Royal Palace, Wilhlemsburg

"Alright, thank you Greg. We appreciate your help in this endeavor."

The King of Wilkonia gave a nod. Lonestar had worried that Wilkens wouldn't have gone for it, but was quietly providing a screening force of submarines, with two CVBGs at sea that were operating outside of NORTHERN LOOK.

"Don't mention it. Ever." Wilkens turned off the VTC. Lonestar exhaled.

"Cutting it close..." Chiu commented. Lonestar shook his head.

"If this blows up in our face we're going to need as large a naval force on hand possible in the area. Although only Vizeadmiral Barley and and the TXN CO know about the true cover of the exercise, Greg would have strung me up if he hadn't been let in on it. By the time his SSNs began engaging the IJN it would have been too late."

"Speaking of too late..." LTG Sharpe of the BMI said, glancing at his watch. "Wade and Shepilov should be kicking off the festivities shortly."

Super Mega Tokyo.

General Hikumi, chairman of the Sunshine council, always worked late. Even though he left the government buildings by 1700, he typically worked ;late into the night at his residence adjacent to the grounds of the Imperial Palace. Still, it was nearly 2300 and he was preparing to turn in for the night when the explosion shook him. Where a gaijin coward might have fled to a safe room, he was overcome by curiosity. He neared the window and saw flames at the other end of the government quarter. Even through the security glass he could hear small arms fire, and see flashes near the Imperial Palace. The power went out.

Hikumi cursed. It had to be that worthless reprobate Yonai, the Deputy Army Minister. Abrupt, violent changes of government were not uncommon in Japansitan, after all that's how he arrived at his current station after the Pathogen War. But he hadn't thought the fool would have the stones to do it without the support of the IJN...

Hikumi noticed that his bodyguard had yet to check on him. A chill went down his spine. With the faintest of whispers the door to his office opened. He slowly turned. Standing there was a man with a hideously scarred face, holding a bloody Katana. Behind him he could see the headless bodies of his guards.

<Your coup will fail without co-opting the Navy, and Admiral Suzuki is at his country home.> The man shrugged. Hikumi continued. <You will granted me an honorable death...?>

The man shook his head in the Gaijin manner, and spoke in a grating voice. <So-sorry, but my orders are quite specific.> The man sheathed his Katana and raised a 9mm.

<No! No! Please, grant me this small honor!>

<There is no honor here. Life is just a game, and one that is constantly nearing it's conclusion. So sorry.>

The man fired, blowing Hikumi's brains out.

Outside the rattle of small arms fire and explosions continued.
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Indhopal's Embassy, Super Mega New Tokyo
(Or whatever you call it these days.)

"All Hell is breaking loose at there. From what I can gather, what we are seeing is a coup against the ruling faction. All of our sources have gone to ground our official contacts that are actually bothering to answer the phone are telling us nothing is going on.

The ambassador was not liking wht he was hearing from his military attache.
"any idea of who's behind this?''

"Not as yet sir everything is still in the very early stages. We are getting reports that the Head of the Sunshine council has been assassinated and the ISIA thinks they are credible."

"I'll inform the President,"
said the ambassador.

Things were very bad indeed for Indhopal. Their strategic situation had just become extremely uncertain.

Meanwhile in Indhopal

Indhopal's armed forces went to their highest state of alert. Bomber crews went to their aircraft and ships and subs in port endevoured to get seaborne as soon as possible. Meanwwhile subs on patrol went to predetermined positions to attack MESS targets.

The reason? President Ahten did not like the positions of MESS warships near Japanistan. They might try something with Japanistan apparently in turmoil. Urgent requests were sent to the Japanistani ambassador in Fenraven and Foreign ministry officials were constantly on the phone trying to get clarification from Japanistan as to what was going on there. Officials and intelligence agents inside Japanistan were doing the same thing using every source they had.

Meanwhile President Ahten sent the following message to the ambassadors of both MESS and CATO nations.
Indhopal continues to stand by its defensive alliance with Japanistan and current reports of unrest in the capital do nothing to Change Indhopal's relationship with Japanistan. Any attack by MESS or CATO forces upon Japanistan will be considered an attack upon Indhopal.

The press meanwhile was wanting updates from the presidents office and so was parliament on what was going on in Japanistan and what Indhopals response would be. So far all the Preident's press secretary would say is that they considered Japanistan to be a vital ally and were watching developments carefully.
Last edited by Raj Ahten on 2009-10-16 09:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Joint Statement from the Embassies of the Old Dominion and Tian Xia to the President of Indophal

Sir,

The MESS and OICAS are currently undergoing routine exercises North of Shepland. We are deeply offended at your implication that the MESS or CATO would preemptively launch an attack on the Empire of Japanistan. We regret that you made an irresponsible sure to increase tensions with the Japanistani leadership and the rest of the world. Such statements will only increase the likelyhood of an incident during this time of domestic strife in Japanistan.

Yours in Christ,
The Old Dominion Embassy

For the Mandate of Heaven,
The Embassy of Tian Xia.