SDNWorld Redux: Story Thread the Third

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Re: SDNWorld Redux: Story Thread the Third

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Constantinople Times

Emperor and President Shady to visit Shinra Republic before proceeding onto conference in Cascadia

The foreign ministry has announced that the Emperor and President Shady would visit Shinra Republic before proceeding onto the conference in Cascadia. "The agenda for the upcoming meeting hasn't even been decided yet!" says the spokesman.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

WAALVISBAI, KATANGWALAND

Two men got off the NFT helicopter on the small, Canexxia-owned helipad. One was a slightly older man, early fifties, with sandy-blond hair putting up a stiff defense against encroaching grey; the other, a burly adventuring type with close-cropped blond hair as well. They were met by a woman in early middle age and a fit-looking older man in a General's uniform.

"Welcome to Waalvisbai," the pleasant, forty-ish woman said, "I'm Jenny Kal, the Mayor-General for the community; this is General Gutierrez," she introduced the robust, healthy fellow in his late-fifties, wearing a Class-B dress uniform of the Canissian Army. The shoulder patch-- sewn onto the shirt, since no one wore the thick, wool jackets in the equatorial heat, said it all: Légion étrangère. The men from the NFT shook hands with the two Canissian officials.

"Thanks for letting us join the search efforts," the first, older NFT man said, "I'm Ray Chandler, this is Cliff Cliffler. He'll be in charge of field rescue ops, I'll be coordinating from here. What's the situation like?"

"It's annoying," General Gutierrez said, "The Japanistanis surround Katangwaland, at least in name, and they aggressively patrol the sky overhead. Sometimes they give us overflight permission on very narrow air corridors; sometimes they don't. And they're rarely the same corridors on any given day, so we can't really plan our fuel use to optimum effect."

"How do you do your searches?" Cliffler asked.
"We go south and loop around the ruins of Zorian Astaria," General Gutierrez said. "So far, no one seems to care, although we do continually broadcast signals that we're on a mercy mission."

"How do helos cope with such restrictions?" the burly NFT man asked, clearly irritated at the working conditions.
"We have air-to-air refueling Zeppelins for helos maintaining station over the jungle," Jenny Kal informed, "Or air tankers take off and loop around Astaria to be ready for airplanes to tank up."
"So far, we use planes to cover territory, and if they see something of note, we concentrate on that area with helicopters."

"Have you found much of note?" Chandler asked.
"Not enough," Gutierrez said.

"What sorts of things can we expect in the jungle?" Cliffler wanted to know. General Gutierrez sized him up, and frowned.
"Crazy shit," he said, "Absolutely crazy. The natives haven't gone into the jungles since legend. There's animals, diseases, insects that'll attack in swarms and skeletonize a man in three minutes. Quicksand. Ghosts, many even say." He laughed uncomfortably at that. "If half the tales are true, or even have a ring of truth to it, a good old fashioned ghost would almost be a comfort." The NFT men exchanged concerned glances. General Gutierrez did not strike them as a fanciful or suspicious man.
"You're serious?" Cliffler asked.
"As a heart attack," Gutierrez said. "The natives are convinced the forest is haunted. There are animals in there at least the size of delivery vans; they get bigger the further in you go."

"What kinds of animals?" Chandler asked.
"Just wait and see," Gutierrez said, "'Cause if I told you, you'd think I was crazy. Just wait and see..."
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

This is Worldwide One, news and entertainment straight from the heart of San Dorado!

Coilerburg Cosmodrome Plans Unveiled!

The North Frequesuan Rocket Authority today announced a set of highly ambitious plans for the burgeoning Torberg Cosmodrome. Located near Torberg AFB, formerly of the Coilerburg Air Force, the Rocket Authority intends to turn the cosmodrome into Frequesue’s second regional spaceport after Camp Kittyhawk in San Dorado.

The most interesting part of the plans is the proposal for a huge mass driver installation capable of magnetically accelerating cargo pods into orbit in order to cheaply resupply space stations “or other orbital vehicles”. The plans further include construction of a satellite tracking center, hangars for orbiters and future SSTO vehicles, as well as maintenance facilities and launch pads for several different types of lifter rockets including both indigenous Frequesuan as well as FASTA and CATO designs.

According to the Rocket Authority the Torberg Cosmodrome will open in 2017 and initially act as a backup site for Camp Kittyhawk Rocketfields. The spaceport is expected to be commercially viable by 2020, and will be developed with a combination of syndicate, state and private sector funding, including contributions from the UCSR and Byzantium.

The spaceport plans were announced shortly after a number of Byzantine, UCSR and Langley corporations reaffirmed their economic commitments to Coilerburg. After the record-shattering influx of 20 billion dollars in 2016, the Financial Committee estimates that in 2017 Coilerburg can expect close to 24 billion dollars from foreign (non-NFT) ventures...

Result: Screw all this politics, I'm going back to SPACE!
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Constantinople Times

Aircraft orders

The Ministry of Defence has announced officially that half the F-15s in the Air Force will be transferred to the Army, while the Su-50 aircraft would replace the transferred F-15s. Mean while, it has been decided that each tagmata in the army will receive a full squadron of Su-50 aircraft, and that the transferred F-15s will replace some of the older Su-39 aircraft in the army. In a reversal, the navy will replace its F-14Es instead with Su-53s first. The airforce also indicates that it intends to procure 96 Su-54s over the next few years while the Tu-22BM fleet will either be retired or transferred. Production of the Su-50/53s will take place locally while the Su-54s will be obtained from the Sarajevo Precision Factory.

Directors of Space Science Institute and Material Science Institute ecstatic about Coilerburg Cosmodrome

The Directors of the Space Science Institute and Material Science Institute indicate that they are ecstatic about the Coilerburg cosmodrome. "Byzantium invested heavily into superconductors research and technologies developed should be crucial to the project. We will be delighted to work with our NFT counterparts," says the Director of the Material Science Institute.
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Seattle Post-Intelligencer

World Summit confirmed for just after New Year's.

ADAMS, CAPITAL DISTRICT -
In an official press release the Garrett Administration has announced that the World Peace Summit will begin shortly after New Year's, with numerous heads of state and government slated to attend along with senior foreign advisors and other negotiators. "The intention of this Administration is to permit the leaders of MESS and CATO to meet together on neutral ground and hammer out, directly, any problems that might lead these two global alliances into conflict," the statement said. "It is necessary for the continued peace of our world that misunderstandings not lead to a conflict that would span the globe."

Meetings of the Summit will be held at the Chester Hotel starting on January 8th, according to the release. President Garrett will be attending the meetings personally.

Elsewhere

News that Tonkin was becoming involved in the Klavostani situation was spreading and with it worries of a Tonkinese-Indhopali conflict.

It was this matter that caused the low-key activities of staff members for the Cascadian Embassies in Hue and Fenraven, who were silently passing along notes to the Indhopali and Tonkinese governments. The intention of these feelers was to gauge whether peace could be maintained and to set the stage for talks, if unofficial and low key, to prevent the Klavostan situation from escalating.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

PeZook wrote:The Royal Office officially declares a tender for the purchase of the following items:

1) Fleet of two (2) long-range passenger aircraft

2) Fleet of six (6) medium-range passenger aircraft
Ralson Aerospace submits the following offer:

RA-501C Thunderwave

The RA-501C supersonic narrow body jet airliner is an updated version of the RA-500A flown by President Sidney Hank. Over a thousand of these aircraft have been built so far, with most of them being operated by airlines for intercontinental flights. The highly customizable RA-501C is available in various configurations ranging from regular passenger jet to private luxury liner with wombat leather seats, fully stocked bar and satellite teleconferencing capability.

Specifications:
  • Crew: 2
  • Capacity: 40 passengers in executive hi-lux layout (105 in 1-class standard layout)
  • Maximum speed: Mach 1.7
  • Range: 7,250km
  • Service ceiling: 18,300m
  • Engines: 3x RA/UM Mk 160 augmented afterburning turbojets
  • Full fly-by-wire system
Price: $78 million
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

CANISSIAN KING ARIK LOOKS FORWARD TO PEACE CONFERENCE; CALL FOR SUSPENSION OF CONFLICTS UNTIL THEN

The King and wife Isabelle at the school where son Tristan was competing in a basketball game.

NEVE TIKVEH; CNN NEWSFEED-- The King and his wife Isabelle were at the school where 10-year-old son Tristan Coyotus was playing on his basketball team. The King was willing to talk with reporters after the game, which his son's team won 30-10.

"I'm glad the Cascadians are going ahead with the conference," King Arik said to CNN Reporter Chip Chipler. "That means they had enough leaders express interest to make it worthwhile. Now it's up to those of us who attend to make it so."

When asked about his intentions for Canissian involvement in world plans and world peace, the King was expansive.

"I think this meeting can be used as a springboard to better things," the King said, "I think we need a place to meet on a regular basis, a sort of council, a 'United Nations council' where we can discuss differences and hammer out disagreememnts with diplomacy."

When asked where such a council would meet, the King suggested Cascadia, since "it seems to be universally accepted that Cascadia is a fair and neutral arbiter."

His Majesty was asked about the developing Tian Xia/Indhopal/Tonkin problem developing on Frequesne. On that topic, the King became more serious.

"For the moment, it looks like Frequesnean neutrality-- once a universally respected stance-- has been eroded and the small are being divided among the powerful. We have clear blocs of power in the north and south, and peacekeepers had to be deployed to Costas de los Cincos Muertes... I think that for the time being, any and all conflict and foreign involvement should be halted in place until we can have this peace meeting. Hopefully, at least some of these disagreements can be dealt with in a civilized manner before resorting to combat."

The King pointed to internation cooperation not only in the Costas situation, but in the search for missing astronauts from both Canissia and the NFT, which is a CATO-aligned nation.

"In all truth, there is no reason for CATO and the MESS to be at one anothers' throats," the King said, "We've cooperated before, we can continue to do so. King Paul, Prime Minister Shroom, and myself all have close ties and it is dismaying to see distrust erode at that. I'm not going to let it happen. We can continue to be respectful of one another's boundaries without having to rattle sabers. We can form a United Nations and talk things out like civilized people. Canissia is all for that."

The King plans to celebrate New Years at the Palace, with the usual grand party that he has become known for through the years.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Steve wrote: Elsewhere

News that Tonkin was becoming involved in the Klavostani situation was spreading and with it worries of a Tonkinese-Indhopali conflict.

It was this matter that caused the low-key activities of staff members for the Cascadian Embassies in Hue and Fenraven, who were silently passing along notes to the Indhopali and Tonkinese governments. The intention of these feelers was to gauge whether peace could be maintained and to set the stage for talks, if unofficial and low key, to prevent the Klavostan situation from escalating.
Indhopal responded that it was willing to talk about the issue but reiterated its stance that any foreign military presence in Klavostan would be considered a grave threat to Indhopal itself. Indhopal was willing to sell Tonkin minerals and agricultural products at much reduced prices in exchange for backing off on intervention. Indhopal also had assurances from the APS that contracting would continue pretty much as before for their security services. Thus any Tonkinite commercial interests would not be jeopardized.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

FENRAVEN, INDHOPAL

"Good day, Mister Hokuzai," the Indhopali foreign ministry official greeted.
"Good day," the Japanistani visitor said, a charmingly disarming fellow. Not like I expected at all, the Indhopali man said. The Indhopali representative was nervous-- his name was David Ferrows, and he was a deputy sub-assistant to the Foreign Minister's office-- low enough on the totem pole that he could be "expendable" if political circumstances required it. He showed the Japanistani man to a seat where they could talk.

"So, what brings you to Indhopal today?" Ferrows asked.
"Mutual concerns," Mister Hokuzai said, "Our government views, with great concern, the expansion of foreign imperialist powers in the midst of once-neutral and serene Frequesue. While Japanistan may seem far away and unconcerned, we feel that we cannot sit by idly and let the bully forces of the world dictate to those who are smaller, just because they can."

"I can't say I find much fault with that way of thinking," Mr. Ferrow said, "Was Japanistan offering some sort of... mediation?"
"Mediation can be had," Mr. Hokuzai said, "But one needs to mediate from strength, or one is simply in a position to insist that demands are dictated politely, and nothing more. The forces of Imperial Japanistan stand ready to lend materiel assistance, training, and logistics as needed to make the bandit kingdoms of the world think twice before issuing their threats."

"Materiel support..?" Ferrow asked. He had his own wish list, but was it what the mysterious Japanistani visitor also had in mind?
"Tanks, planes, trucks, what need you... training cadre. We have 15,000 men ready to take part in training excersises with your country, and indeed with any Frequesuean nation interested in hosting them. We can draw up terms of lease for bases and docks, as well. Trust me, with Japanistan as your partner and ally, you can put a stop to the rapacious land grab perpatrated by the bandit kingdoms."

"I... I will have to talk with my superiors about this," Ferrow said.
"I am in town all week," Mr. Hokuzai said, smiling politely.

Results:
Indhopal offered assistance in the face of Imperialist Colonialist powers.

phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Janissary Transmission, Klavostan

" The Sultan of Klavostan announces that in light of the recent coup's destruction of our government offices we are faced with no choice but to contract with the Incorporated Republic of Tonkin to operate and run our government bureaucracy until the situation has fully stabilized and we again can begin the hard task of rebuilding ... "

Memo to Indhopol

The IRT reiterates that it will pursue any option to ensure that the legitimate government of the Klavostan is restored and that it views any government formed by this so-called APS to be wholly illegal. We further note that any default of Klavostani debt to the IRT will be taken with grave concern. Further, Tonkin commercial interests in Frequesue have repeatedly rebuffed on the part of protectionist native industries and believes that the offer of raw mineral and agricultural goods at discount represents an insufficient offer. Tonkin notes with distress the strong support that Indhopal is offering the APS coup as well the reports of significant air and military support for the coup efforts. In the interests of international stability, Tonkin may be forced to defend this innocent nation against clear foreign adventurism.

Tonkin therefore suggests a resumption of the prior government, full opening of Klavostan to free and unfettered free market trade, port concessions to ensure verification of free trade and international observers to verify the removal of the so-called APS from Klavostan.
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Post by Grand Moff Yenchin »

Royal Palace, Serenity

Sonija and Yuki were like being very busy forever. Sonija was preparing arrangements for the MESS-CATO summit, in which Yenchin was about to attend. Yuki, on the other hand, was busy handling information from various departments involving the military action in Sirnoth, the monitoring of the rising Akori situation, and the MESS-CATO tension itself.

What annoyed Yenchin was the Akori situtation. As of last month, President Somare attempted to halt connections with the Blue Sun and Tachibana Heavy Industries, transferring the facilities to a new corporation called "East Velerian Trade Company". It took a series of lawsuits and diplomatic acts to handle the situation.

The Akori Blue Sun branch director, Apollo Blau, held himself responsible for the incident and committed suicide. Somare resigned and seemed to have left to some Pacifican island. Eventually besides some impact to the economy on both sides which was expected to recover in half a year nothing really happened.

However, the reports from intelligence units showed that Lord Mak, now confirmed alive, was involved. Various photos indicated Miho Tachibana, missing for nearly two years, of THI, was seemingly involved as well.

Hopefully the analyists could find out whatever he was doing. Yenchin thought as he finished reviewing the last report, for the day, and found himself invited by both Sonija and Yuki to the showers.
1st Plt. Comm. of the Warwolves
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Memo to Tonkin and Indhopal

The Principality of Miratia will not tolerate further Tonkinese interference in Klavostan, and offers to assist Indhopal in stabilizing the country.

Results: Consider yourselves warned.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

Spoiler
Possible Flashpoint in Klavostan
Tonkin vs. Indhopal and Mirata
Prepare Interception Craft For Emergency 5 minute launch if hostilities break.
Priority to Vinish CFR and Azzan Fighter Defence
This is an empty country and I am it's king, and I should not be allowed to touch anything.
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

phongn wrote: Memo to Indhopol

The IRT reiterates that it will pursue any option to ensure that the legitimate government of the Klavostan is restored and that it views any government formed by this so-called APS to be wholly illegal. We further note that any default of Klavostani debt to the IRT will be taken with grave concern. Further, Tonkin commercial interests in Frequesue have repeatedly rebuffed on the part of protectionist native industries and believes that the offer of raw mineral and agricultural goods at discount represents an insufficient offer. Tonkin notes with distress the strong support that Indhopal is offering the APS coup as well the reports of significant air and military support for the coup efforts. In the interests of international stability, Tonkin may be forced to defend this innocent nation against clear foreign adventurism.

Tonkin therefore suggests a resumption of the prior government, full opening of Klavostan to free and unfettered free market trade, port concessions to ensure verification of free trade and international observers to verify the removal of the so-called APS from Klavostan.
The legitimate heir to the throne of Klavostan is the Sultan's 2 year old son not the Janissary Corps. The Jannisary Corps has killed the Sultan, and unless they can produce him live and well I have no recourse but to back the APS which plans to act as a regency council until the son reaches an age fit to rule. The APS is a homegrown organization formed from mercenary companies who support the legitimate successionary process. Indhopal is simply backing the legitimate successors to the Sultan's rule after his murder. Your proposed takeover of government functions is completely illegal as the Janissary Corps are not the legal rulers of Klavostan and are in no position to be making such an offer. Your only legitimate complaint appears to be Klavostan possibly defaulting on their debts.

Meanwhile in Klavostan

THe APS's propaganda had changed tune somewhat after the Jannisary Corps had sent out their latest transmission. The APS now talked more about how they were merely local citizens concerned with the lawful succession of the Sultan's son to the throne. Meanwhile they made the point that the Jannisary Corps were a bunch of cowardly murderer who wanted to sell control of Klavostan's government to a foreign power who and no respect for Klavostani business practices.

The Jannisary's own words were the APS's best weapon against them at this point. Undecided mercenary captains were quite alarmed that the Jannisary Corps wanted to sell control of the country. THe APS reminded them that they were the same and that under their rule cntracting would be under the direct conrol of the mercenary captains, instead of under the control of a foreign government.

Besides at this point the Janissary Corps was really getting pounded. They still held the newly rebuilt palace grounds which were quickly getting destroyed again. The Janissary Corps was now completely surrounded and were being bombed around the clock. They didn't have much time left and most Klavostani's knew it.

edit: btw Phongn check your PM's for something on this matter.
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Foreign Ministry confirms delegation

Earlier today a spokesman for the foreign ministry indicated that both the Home Secretary and the Foreign Minister would accompany Duke Arthur Levitt III of Juarez, the Prime Minister, on his visit to Cascadia for the recently announced international summit. Still unclear is whether the King himself would be joining them. Officials at the palace were unable or unwilling to comment even off the record except to say that the Sovriegn has called all three ministers to be received several times since the coference was announced. A formal request for the registry of the Royal House has indicated no less than a dozen visits in the past week where the three joined the King for meetings of less than a quarter hour to a session stretching past the change of the guard.

Press officials for both Lady Claire Bennington and Mr Raul de la Vega y Hastings have refused to provide comment beyond confirmation of the news itself as have officials in the Prime Minister's office.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Constantinople Times

Sultan Ṣalāḥ ad-Dīn Yūsuf ibn Ayyūb IV condemns Klavostanis who sell out their country to the IRT

Sultan Ṣalāḥ ad-Dīn Yūsuf ibn Ayyūb IV in the Syrian parliament

Sultan Ṣalāḥ ad-Dīn Yūsuf ibn Ayyūb IV in the Syrian parliament today demanded that warring factions in Klavostan cease their inter-fighting and to come to peace and to reject foreign intervention. "This is incredible. That a Muslim should sell his soul for money? Preposterous! I demand that the Klavostanis cease their fighting at once and come to the negotiation table! I demand that individual Klavostanis rise up and force the warring factions to cease this ridiculous war which has only prought suffering to the people! There is no need for foreigners to come and meddle with the affairs of your nation! Settle the problems yourselves!"

Protests erupt in Klavostan as protesters take to the streets

Protests erupted in Klavostan after the Sultan's speech was aired throughout the Muslim world via world radio. Klavostanis took to the streets calling that the Sultan's demands be heeded and that the warring factions cease their fighting and reject foreign intervention. "We want peace! This war is not doing us any good!" says one.
Kreia
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Ceasefire in Klavostan

BREAKING NEWS - For the first time in days the guns have fallen silent in Klavostan. Scattered reports are coming in but it seems that APS and Janissary forces have ceased fighting; indeed, there are scattered reports that the Janissaries have left their fortified positions in the palace and are beginning rescue and street-cleaning operations. APS forces have also been said to be securing key transportation hubs around the capital.

Confirmed reports are also indicating that heavy Tonkin civilian airliners and airlifters have begun landing in the main airbase and international airport around the capital. No military personnel have been observed but it appears that some sort of deal has clearly been made with Indhopol, who previous threatened nuclear war over any Tonkin intervention ...
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

phongn wrote:Ceasefire in Klavostan

BREAKING NEWS - For the first time in days the guns have fallen silent in Klavostan. Scattered reports are coming in but it seems that APS and Janissary forces have ceased fighting; indeed, there are scattered reports that the Janissaries have left their fortified positions in the palace and are beginning rescue and street-cleaning operations. APS forces have also been said to be securing key transportation hubs around the capital.

Confirmed reports are also indicating that heavy Tonkin civilian airliners and airlifters have begun landing in the main airbase and international airport around the capital. No military personnel have been observed but it appears that some sort of deal has clearly been made with Indhopol, who previous threatened nuclear war over any Tonkin intervention ...
Sgt. Krylov of Indhopal's Special Reconnaissance Group was one of the men meeting the Tonkinite delegation coming in to form the Regency Council along with the APS. He had managed to get the details from some of his buddies in the ISIA. Tonkin was basically getting total control of Klavostan's non-mercenary related economy on the Regency Council. Which probably meant that it was aobut to grow exponentially with most of the profits going overseas. The economic control also meant they had power over pretty much every civil institution in the country.

Meanwhile the APS, and through them Indhopal, kept control of the security forces. Krylov was damn glad of that fact. It meant all his efforts over the last few days had at least achieved something. Indhopal could be sure no hostile foreign troops would be stationed on its border. It also meant that if the deal broke down Indhopal would be in control of those with the guns. The deal had also avoided a nuclear war. Handy,that.

The APS leadership had settled on being able to have the sole ability to control mercenary contracts. Except for contracts that specified action against Indhopal or Tonkin of course. Krylov got the impression the merc's didn't really think the rest of the economy was worth a damn. They would probably live to regret that idea, but if Tonkin was smart they would offer them a slice of the pie. The merc companies would also apparently rotate being on military duty. That Pyscho "Sniper" Ali was going to head the new national military command.

Krylov's role tonight was to provide security and make sure no one decided to off someone in the new regency council to strengthen their own position. He was also to watch what Tonkin was doing very carefully. That was likely to become his new occupation for awhile. Personally he thought the whole situation was bullshit. Tonkin had got a whole lot with threats and no blood of there own. Such personal thoughts were in the end irrelevant to Krylov as he was a soldier and knew how to follow orders.
Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

Spoiler
Five Minute Readiness orders has been rescinded
Enjoy your continued existence.
This is an empty country and I am it's king, and I should not be allowed to touch anything.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

CATO Military Journal

S-500-G Missile intercepts dummy Ballistic Missile

The S-500-G is the last missile in the S-500 family to enter service and is intended to replace many of the older anti-ballistic missiles currently in service in CATO. The missile made its first successful Ballistic Missile intercept yesterday in a missile range in UCSR. The missile has undergone many tests before, but yesterday was the first actual test involving a Ballistic missile. The missile is aimed at intercepting ballistic missiles in the ascent, mid-course and boost phase and is designed to be completely mobile. The ballistic missile used in the test is a derivative of the Zenit-S which is a solid fueled rocket that was designed as part of CATO's space program. The missile is only expected to enter service next year.
Kreia
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Imperial Chronicles

Landing in Shinra Republic

"What do you think he would say?" asked President Shady.

"At this point, I think we should pursue some detente in Frequesue, because the meddling by foreigners is definitely rankling our Frequesue members to the death," replied Emperor Heraclius.

"How about this issue of 'transparency'"

"Oh we can try to be transparent about some things, but what good that would do remains to be seen because I am not 100% convinced it will appease the hardliners at all, or will they latch on to another excuse to rail against us? After all, the MESS themselves are pretty opaque about their objectives in Frequesue, or Sirnoth for that matter. What happens when the junta is dismantled? What interests does Tian Xia have in Frequesue? Why are they even supporting local tyrants?"

===================================================

The aircraft landed on the airfield, to be met by President Rufus' entourage.
Kreia
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

STATE OF THE KINGDOM ADDRESS BY KING ARIK COYOTUS

"Citizens of Canissia, I bid you good evening.

"As we prepare to enter a new year, full of hope and promise, we have much to look forward to. The past year has held many challenges, as relations have deterioratied between mighty nations, once friendly.

"On the eve of a new year, we stand on the precipice of a new beginning. The continent of Frequesne has been stressed and harried by many well-meaning peoples of all backgrounds, motivations, and ideals. This has led to misunderstanding and in some unfortunate cases, clashes. It is my hope that with the turning of the calendar can come the turning of a new leaf as well. A meeting in Cascadia holds promise for just that; it is my stated hope that such meetings can become a regular feature of international diplomacy at a permanant location, to be determined by mutual agreement of all nations.

"This 'United Nations' can be a meeting place for diplomats, peacemakers, politicians and warriors who seek to resolve conflict in a civilised manner, or, should conflict break out, to conduct said conflict in a manner that limits destruction on armies, governments, and most importantly, civilians.

"Canissia, by itself, is a strong nation, and we are part of a strong alliance. Our neighbors and trade partners are also strong, with their own alliances. We have earned one another's respect, and we have no reason to distrust or seek conflict with them.

"However, in the course of human affairs, especially politics, misunderstandings occur, and communication that seems clear to one is not always understood immediately by all. A United Nations would add a layer of security and certainty to all peoples, by allowing diplomats to speak to one another on a regular basis, before situations become tense and a miscue can have disasterous consequences.

"Canissia as a nation, and as part of the MESS alliance, does not seek war, nor expansion by force. We do seek security in our borders and our international trade; this is something that all reasonable nations have a right to expect. Diplomacy is the best way to achieve that.

"Canissia shall remain strong, as expansions in the Army, Navy, and Air Force can attest. But with strength comes responsibility. We seek international cooperation as well, in a wide range of fields such as trade, scientific endeavor, and improving conditions for poor nations; and we look forward to achieving these goals together, through mutual respect, investment, diplomacy, and committment.

"Thank you, and ... happy new year."

Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

COSTAS DE LOS CINCOS MUERTES

48 hours ago, we were prisoners of the Japanistanis, Jackson Blackpelt thought as he warmed himself in the glow of the burning apartment. Now, here we are, burning villages for them. His woman-- she was not anything like any image conjured by the term 'wife' or 'soul partner' or any of that other saccharine term used to describe someone like her-- sidled up to him, and lit a thin, stylish Canissian cigarelle in the flames of the dying house. Kelah Bonesteel was a predatory animal. If any word could be used to describe her relationship to Jackson Blackpelt, it was the animalistic term 'mate'. They were the alpha wolves of the pack.

"Fuck yeah," Kelah said, her face streaked with black soot, blood, and sweat. The woman enjoyed her work.

Flashback:
They'd stepped over the bodies of the border guards; Vinyard border cops huddled against the cool night air around a hobo furnace, a 55-gallon oil drum with sticks and rubbish burning in it. Their night vision was for shit, their alert level practically non-existent, their weapons slung casually and their attention focused inward as they smoked and joked around their fire.

The RUF's only problem was one of numbers. Four guards, one good sniper with a silenced CATO issue weapon. They didn't want even a fearful, panic burst of Vineyardian SMG fire to alert anyone to their prescence.

Lukin Grey took a careful, steady position over a felled tree, and watched. The nice thing about cool weather was that people peed more-- they didn't discharge water through sweat as much, like in summer. It took but a few patient minutes to determine where the socially-acceptable pee site was for the guards.

Soon, one was seperated from herd, and left the fire to go pee in the darkness. As the previous hours' whiskey was passed, kidney-filtered, onto the ground, Lukin landed a perfect silenced shot right into the man's brain. He slumped to the ground on the sandy soil. His companions were oblivious.

After a few minutes, Lukin's next shot lined up perfectly: two men standing together, along the sniper rifle's firing axis. The Revolutionary United Front man had a sniper's dream: one shot, two kills. The CATO sniper rifle fired a heavy enough bullet that the second target, while messy, would still be killed with sufficient momentum remaining after passing through the first man's brainpan. And so it was.

The last man was, as expected, stunned at the immediate deaths of his two companions before his eyes. As various reactions and questions ran through his mind; as he scrabbled for his submachinegun; as he called to their other companion, long since dead; as he turned to face and focus the darkness; as he realized it was too late to call out... the last shot slammed into his jaw, wheeling him around, and spinning the SMG out of his grip and onto the sand.

"Fuck," Lukin swore. He hated messy kills. He quickly pumped another into the man's body, and, just to make sure, another. He then collected his brass and they moved past the border into Costa de los Cincos Muertes.

They'd not had to travel too far before they found a small collection of houses and cheaply-made crackerbox apartments of a type once popular during a forgotten era of 'socialist reconstruction' that had briefly swept the Costas. The small village, at the edge of a people's agricollective farm, proudly flew flags of the CATO-supported Duchy of Baerne. Hand-painted signs, slogans, grafitti all over declared their happiness at being 'liberated' by the forcesof the Duchy: 'Viva Baerneland!' and 'Viva CATO! Viva Revolucion!' decorated the walls.

Kelah Bonesteel had turned to Jackson Blackpelt and grinned wildly. "Soup's on," she'd whispered in icy, blood-chilling tones as she switched to her MESS-standard 6.8mm suppressed assualt rifle. Jackson nodded his agreement, and the RUF got ready to roll.

===========================================

"Not bad," Jackson said as he kicked aside the boiled skin of a child's arm. He'd already slipped on similar goo moments before and was in no mood to repeat the performance. He surveyed the killing field-- three dozen or so terrified people of the hamlet rounded up and bound, forced to watch as their homes were burned, then shot execution-style in tidy, industrial rows. Their bodies were tossed in the fires of the homes, and left to sizzle.

"Lights," Lukin Grey said, with a nod of his chin towards the near side of a hilltop where a highway to a nearby town crested.
"Coming to see what the glow on the horizon is all about," Jackson said, contemplating the possibilities.
"Let's set up an L-shaped ambush and give a surprise to the rescuers," Kelah said with glee. Jackson rubbed his chin.

"No," he said simply, almost breathing th eword out silently. "No," he repeated, more sternly, "Leave someone to describe the horror. It's all for nothing without an audience."

Kelah frowned, but Jackson caressed her shoulder in consolation. "There'll be more, my sweet. But only if we move on."

The RUF faded into the night.

Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

Baernish 1st Guards Division Headquarters
Los Tigres
Costa de las Cinquos Muertes

Captain Edward Stark was not a soft man. As the commander of the Ducal Investigation Entity, he had caused a great deal of death, ordered more, and seen still more. Even so, the sight of the village of Los Tigres, which had yesterday been a happy, fairly prosperous village that had heartily embraced it's liberation at the hands of the Duchy.

Now, it was a smoking ruin.

A smoking ruin surrounded by MESS-standard bullet casings.

Captain Stark didn't know what to think about that particular facet; the MESS were professionals, if not compassionate ones. If this were a sanctioned operation, the attackers would have been using non-MESS weapons. Not even Tian Xia was that arrogant. He was sure of one thing, however: Whoever had done this would pay.

RESULTS: DIE is officially on the case. For the RUF, winter is coming.
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:The aircraft landed on the airfield, to be met by President Rufus' entourage.
Midgar, Shinra Republic

President Rufus and his entourage met the aircraft as it landed on the airfield.

After the usual ceremonial nonsense, they were taken away in limos to go have various discussions. When they had settled in to a quiet conference room, Rufus allowed them to open the discussion.

Results
I'm not feeling inspired enough tonight to kick it off. The ball's in your court.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight