Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Re: SDNWorld Redux: Story Thread the Third

Post by Lonestar »

Dominion Defense

With Arrival of II Corps, Coalition Forces begin advance towards Württemberg

With international criticism mounting on the Coalition's efforts to stop the bloodshed in Sirnoth, the Old Dominion II Corps("Old Chainmail") began an advance on Württemberg almost as soon as it finished disembarking at Baden. Already this morning clashes are being reported between The Sirnothi 3ID and the 1st Armored Division, "The Ironclads"....[More]

Royal Palace

"Field Marshal Thurman is livid." War Minister DiBacco said.

"No doubt, but we need to do something. Hell, the Port of Baden is swamped with refugees..." Lonestar said

"He wanted to wait until the Shinra Corps arrived, as well as VII Corps then Al-Dathesda could be attacked simultaneously while another corps-sized unit coul advance towards Nexus City."

"Yes Eric, I was there at the meeting. Bottom line is we need to get some movement, or there won't be any people to save. It's done. Drop it." Lonestar moved over to the next brief. DiBacco was quiet for a moment, then spoke.

"You know, I didn't really think King Paul would accept the invitation, what with the MESS being the international bogeyman at the moment."

"Pah!" Berman waved that away. "Of course he would accept, if for no other reason so he can get some answers with regards to Sirnoth straight from the horses' mouth. Speaking of which, we need to decide what to tell him..."

Lonestar grinned. "I was thinking of just making it up on the spot, frankly." There was a look of horror on Berman's face, but before he could respond Chancellor of the Exchequer William Chiu spoke.

"We also need to take a swing at his new VIP aircraft...I have a list of possible incentives..."
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Orena Evening News

Foreign Ministry announces King Paul will attend Cascadian summit

While no official announcement from Cascadia has come forward at this time, PeZookia's Foreign Ministry has confirmed that should the unofficial reports of the World Summit be confirmed, His Majesty King Paul I will attend personally.

"Plans are being drafted up at this time to facilitie His Majesty's attendance. PeZookia is comitted to world peace, and His Majesty is observing the recent rise in MESS-CATO tensions with utmost concern."

State visit to the Old Dominion confirmed

The Royal Office has finally confirmed rumors that King Paul I will visit the Old Dominion. The current itinerary isn't set at this point, but our sources indicate the visit will take place at rather short notice, and it wil have no formal topic or theme.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Headline, San Dorado Times

President Sidney Hank of the North Frequesuan Trust will attend the Cascadia World Summit, a spokeswoman for the Office of the President has confirmed. In an almost brusquely short statement to the press the Office clarified that President Hank feels that "this recent nonsense needs to be cleared up, and it needs to be cleared up fast".
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

SEASIDE PALACE, CANISSIA

King Arik looked at the printout as Jia gently massaged his back and shoulder.
"You have a lot of tension," she said to him.
"Indeed," Arik said, "I hate to say it, but it look slike what's happening is the usual political patrimony suit."

"Patrimony suit?" she said, giving him a strangelook he didn't see.
"Yeah," Arik replied. Victory has many fathers; defeat is an orphan. Every time a political alliance forms, it's the same: when there's a victory or a breakthorugh of some sort, then it was the whole alliance working towards the goal for the betterment of all. But when there's a diplomatic faux pas or blunder, it was always one nation, acting on its own."

"You mean like Tian Xia's intervention in Costas being a Tian Xia problem, but when Rufus Shinra offers carrot, and our fleet offers stick, to the Vineyards and things get patched up, it's a feather for the MESS cap?" she asked.
"You're not among my most trusted cadre of political advisors for nothing," Arik said, kissing her hand. "Just like from the CATO point of view, I'm sure Costas was Baerne's problem, not theirs."

"So that's President Garrett's offer for a summit, huh?" she asked, looking at the printout.
"Yup," Arik drawled.
"You're going?" she asked.
"Damn right I am," Arik said, "Even I am falling to the disease of suspicion. I've been listening to that damn Nationalist news source too much."
"The Watchdog?" Jia asked, surprised, "You actually read that rag?"

"Every few weeks I read that," Arik said, "And some of the extreme stuff from the Greenies, the Laborists, etc. I need to see what counts as 'extreme' for Canissians these days. As long as the Nationalists are instructing themselves on the manufacture of tinfoil hats, I know things haven't gotten too far off base."

"Shall I let the press corps know?" Jia asked.
"Yeah," Arik said with a sigh, "Gods, I wish it hadn't come to this. But we need some sort of understanding. Of communicating."

RESULTS:
King Arik to visit Cascadia for CATO-MESS Summit.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Richmond Dispatch

Lord Fairfax to sit CATO-MESS Summit out
The Office of the Lord Protector confirmed that Lord Fairfax will not be attending the CATO-MESS summit. Foreign Minister Berman will attend in his place.

"Unfortunately with the ongoing police action in Sirnoth, Lord Fairfax determined it would not be an ideal time to leave the country."
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

Palace of the Soviets, Stasograd, UCSR
President Shady was having a really busy day, tensions were rising and the work just kept coming in. He leaned back in his chair and pulled out a pack of cigarettes from his pocket, he removed one from the pack and lit it. He inhaled the smoke and turned to face his guest.

"What do you make of all this, Comrade Yuri?", President Shady said while exhaling the smoke and clearly enjoying his well deserved break.

"It is a complicated situation, Mr.President.", Yuri said with his cold voice and a face that betrayed nothing, "Foreign Policy is becoming a rather delicate matter."

"Still there is hope that things might improve, especially if the world leaders attend the Cascadian summit in number.", Shady said.

"Perhaps.", Yuri said, "Should I pack my bags for the trip?"

Shady looked at Yuri with a faint smile. "No my friend. I will attend the summit personally. I would hate to insult the other world leaders by not being there myself.", he said and took another puff of his cigarette, a really bad habit, he thought to himself.

"As you wish.", Yuri added.

"Hopefully, this summit will be a fruitful affair, if not...", Shady paused for a moment, as if contemplating a grave decision, "It might be time to stop playing Mr.Nice Guy and go back to the ways of the Great Comrade Stanislav."

"I always liked those ways better anyway.", Yuri said with an expression that almost looked like a smile.

"I hope it doesn't come to that.", Shady said and put out his cigarette.

Result: President Shady will attend the Cascadian summit, personally.
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

Baernish News Service
Breaking News

Duke to Attend International Summit-Duke James confirmed today that he will be attending President Garrett of Cascadia's proposed meeting to resolve rising MESS-CATO tensions.

Defenses of Civilian Infrastructure Improved-Ducal Army officials oversaw the placement of forty-eight SAM batteries at and around various Fortress Baerne power stations. This move, made in response to the targeting of civilian structures by Costan bombers in their recent attack on the capital, is made possible by the gift of several dozen S-75 batteries made by the UCSR. The weapons, while old, are nonetheless expected to provide a deterrent to attacking non-military targets in any future war.
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Selene 4 to launch on schedule

With recovery of flight data recorder tapes, FASTA mission planners were able to complete their post-mission analysis of Selene 3. While most flight data was received via telemetry and fully available, some uncertainty remained as to the operation of several systems within the capsule.

Fortunately, it turned out that no major faults in the Selene design revealed themselves during the flight, and thus Selene 4 will proceed on schedule, with one minor change: Atos Odemanis, an experienced Byzantine astronaut and part of Selene 4 backup crew, will replace Lev Titov as mission commander.

Lev Titov has recently been transfered to the MSA, as part of an inter-agency astronaut exchange program. Edward Dębski, a PeZookian fighter pilot, will replace astronaut Odemanis as commander of the backup crew, and Mission Commander on Selene 6.

Lunar module may not be available for Selene 5

Officials at the BAM Rocket Design Office have spoken on record that the FASTA Lunar Excursion Module (FLEM) may not be ready for its pioneering flight on Selene 5. FASTA administration has not commented on the issue, but it's possible the mission will be scrubbed entirely, and the hardware will be used for a manned lunar flyby mission.

FASTA Lunar Lander mission succesful

After failure of the first FASTA LSR (Lunar Surface Reconeissance) mission, and limited success of LSR-2, LSR-3 has finally managed to accomplish all stated goals. The lunar lander probe has delivered a self-powered robot exploration rover to the surface, which began collecting extremely valuable information on one of three proposed Selene 10 landing sites.

The lunar rover, nicknamed "Shroom" for its distinctly fungal appearance, is expected to continue operation for as long as 29 days before its RTG power supply runs out, transmitting thousands of priceless photographs of the lunar surface.

Surface of Selene: One of 143 pictures available on FASTA's website
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

CNBC - Commonwealth News Broadcasting Channel

"The Triumvirate has announced that they will be embarking on multiple trips over the course of the next few months, with King Brandon heading to the ASRF, Lord Earles to the North Frequesuan Trust, and King Jeffery to the Duchy of Baerne. Following this, the group of leaders will meet with officials from Indahopal, the Raj, and possibly Mirata respectively. After these meetings, Lord Earles will be meeting with the forces of Mortimer and the Winter Army.

"Also, at the upcoming Cascadian World Summit, Foreign Minister Von Earles will attend. King Brandon explained why the Prime Minister would go in this statement:"

"The Commonwealth owes both the MESS and CATO much, not enough things can be said about the economic help that members of CATO have provided, and Canissia and Shinra have been vital in the stopping of the civil war that was looming on the horizon. Truly, both have helped our nation greatly, but also helping us was our continent, and it is time for the Commonwealth to loosen relations with the nations it shares a home with. This is why Foreign Minister Von Earles, and not myself, Lord Earles, or King Jeffery, is going to the Cascadian Summit, as these people matter, but the Triumvirate needs to get to know the neighbourhood again."

Result: Game Post Version of the Itinerary from the OOC Thread, and Foreign Minister Otto Von Bismarck will be at the summit, but not with any real agenda.
This is an empty country and I am it's king, and I should not be allowed to touch anything.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Hell Is Other People

Sidney Hank’s penthouse, downtown San Dorado

“You’re brooding again.”

Sidney stopped his pacing for a moment in favor of throwing a glare at Daphne. “Yes, I am” he finally replied, then unfastened the upper buttons of his shirt and sat down in one of the white chairs.

“Aren’t you going to tell me why?”

He shrugged and emptied the crystal glass in front of him. “The Tensions. The situation in Klavostan. The summit. Our place in the world. Something a wise man once said.”

She raised an eyebrow. “And what would that be?”

Sidney massaged his neck. “L’enfer, c’est les autres”, he quoted.

Daphne frowned. “I’m not familiar with- what does it mean?”

“It doesn’t matter”, he shook his head, deciding this was not the time to explain existentialist philosophy from another world and another time. Then he smiled bitterly. “Let’s just say that for us world leaders, there appears to be no exit.”

She shook her head. “You’re not making any sense.”

“No, I’m not” he agreed and poured himself another glass.

“Trying to drink yourself under the table again?”

“I guess I am.”

“We really need to talk about that.”

“Yeah” he nodded slowly. “We do. We need to talk about a lot of things.”
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

NORTH VINEYARDS COASTLINE
PRE-DUSK

The lonely freighter passed close to the shore, close enough to see the little figures of people moving about on deck. It was lit normally, with no apparent alarm-- and why not? It was just a freighter, nothing more.

However, on the other side, hidden from shore, something was happening. People climbed down rope ladders to enter small rubber Zodiac boats, already laden with equipment. The freighter, a Khitanese-flagged tub, blundered on its way, oblivious as the smaller parasite craft left.

Four Zodiacs made their way to shore, where the boats were hastily unloaded, then taken back to the ship by lone pilots. The people that left lumbered under the heavy gear they carried-- military backpacks, rifles, mostly. They huddled under some driftwood logs to make sure they hadn't been spotted as one of their number opened a waterproof case and began assembling a rifle.

"Clear here," Jackson Blackpelt said, as he scanned the beach with his binoculars.
"Sure don't give us a moment to bask in the glow of our new friendship, do they?" Kelah Bonesteel snarled, her lip and eye still swollen from the beatings.

"They have a nice expense account," Lukin Grey said as he scanned the other direction of the beach with his Shroom-Mannlicher rifle and Canipold scope. Several other RUF terrorists waited for the go-signal from the command cadre. Finally, Jackson nodded towards them.

"Alright, no one saw us. We're going to make our way towards the border and into Costas de los Conco Muertes and begin operations. Everyone kitted?" he asked. The terrorists checked their weapons. Most had MESS-issue weapons in 6.8mm USC; some few had various CATO-issue weapons, mostly silenced pistols and submachineguns. "Good. Remember, on this side of the border, we use CATO standard. Once we hit Costan territory, we hit CATO troops with MESS rounds, alright? Remember, don't cock this up. The MESS are pros. Police up brass, travel in formations and don't leave litter-- don't leave nothing but lead in bodies to identify us. If we start dropping MESS coins, or cigarettes, or newspapers around trying to sweeten the image, they'll know it's a plant."

"So standard MESS military formations, gear, and TTPs," Kelah Bonesteel said. "We're going to eat these fuckers' lunch, and we're gonna split, and let them piss on each other. Got it?" The agents nodded. They were good, some of the RUF's best, many ex-military themselves-- many recruited from the crumbled remains of Shepistan. They could pass as MESS easily... or, when the tides turn, pass off as CATO or any of a number of turd-worlder halfass militias if they needed to.

"Soon as darkness hits, we move out," Blackpelt said, and sat down to wait.

Result:
Evil Afoot! RUF to infiltrate Costas, spread havoc.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Summer Palace
Near Hong Kong
Tian Xia

The Huang Di was swearing. It wasn't a good day. Duke Ezekiel had disappeared on "vacation" and the situation in Klavostan had his fingerprints all over it. It was probably him trying to get back into power. That, or back into the Huang Di's good graces. Possibly both. It was probably his strings that pulled the Klavostanis back from Costa.

"Agatha! Get me Duke Ezekiel on the phone!"

A couple minutes passed while Beowulf contemplated what to do. He could just sell out the Duke, but then a pair of unfortunate events would occur. One would be a Indhopali puppet state to Tian Jiao's east. The other would be the knowledge that Tian Xia had conducted a successful coup against the Sultan. He really didn't want to be known for killing a sitting head of state off. Bad for diplomacy. Especially when it wasn't a 3rd world shithole that was really only controlled by warlords.

Agatha came back and picked up his phone. Beowulf took it. "Ezekiel! What the hell have you done?"

"I was trying to expand the Empire!"

"Why the hell would I want it expanded?" Silence met the question. An idea formed in Beowulf's head. "Hold until I get back to you."

"Agatha. Get me Chairman Nguyen. I have a proposal for him."

It took a couple minutes more for the connection to be established through. "Hey Phong. I have a problem, and you might be the solution. I have a country to sell you. The problem is, I don't own it."

"Then how can you sell it to me?"

"Remember Duke Ezekiel? Tried to conduct a nuke test, and got removed from Governorship? He decided to do a coup in Klavostan."

"Ah, so you want us to take it over."

"Hey, it's not my fault your entire country is mercenary enough to do it."

"Another nation would be more responsibility. More cost."

"But more profit."

Chairman Nguyen thought it over. "Well, hell. Go ahead and arrange it."

"Duke Ezekiel."

"Yes, my lord?"

"Have your puppet make an announcement."

"But he's dead."

"That's what computers are for. You can make up a second puppet later. We're selling out to Tonkin."

"WHAT?"

"I don't need or want Klavostan. I also don't need or want a Indhopali puppet there."

--

Klavostan

The coup plotters may have gotten hold of the radio and tv stations themselves, but hadn't adequately secured the actual transmitters. It didn't take long for the Janissaries to take control back. They had a message all ready for transmission, and didn't need the hardware back at the station to transmit it. It didn't take long for the Indhopalis to find that the signal had changed, and start trying to jam it, but that merely made it easier to for the fake to go unspotted.

"Subjects of Allah! The so-called Alliance to Protect the Sultanate is a bunch of traitors, who have attempted twice to kill me. In light of the fact that even my so called allies in the FTO have joined these traitors, I am left with no choice but to call for help. And the Incorporated Republic of Tonkin has heard my call. Every mercenary company which has not turned traitor can consider themselves to have a contract on the Traitors, paid for by Tonkin. A Tonkinite battle group will shortly be arriving."

[ooc]Anyone ready for a mindfuck?[/ooc]
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

SEASIDE PALACE, CANISSIA
THAT NIGHT

King Arik was melancholy. He'd found some of the music he had playing when he first "arrived" on Novaterra, and was playing it, drinking, looking out over the moonlit bay. Was there really an artist known as 'Pink' here? he wondered. He was listening to a variety of stuff, some sad, some bittersweet. All with those same themes.

"You okay?" asked a pleasant voice. It was Siobhan. Tonight it was her and Jia with Arik, and he felt bad that he was so out of it.
"I'm okay," he said, "Kinda. Weight of world on shoulders stuff, the usual," he said with a laugh. Siobhan smiled.
"I've grown used to that," she said. They were quiet together for a moment. "Seriously?"

"I just..." he said. So much to talk about, so much I don't dare say.... "I just thought it'd be easier," he said. "Being a world leader. Money, power, snap your fingers and it's done... This is hard. People I know personally, people I like as human beings, are running governments that seem hell-bent on harm. Or so it seems."

"When you step into those conferences," Siobhan said, "You're not Arik of Canissia anymore," she said. "You are a million-million people, all with individual hopes and dreams, some incompatible and contradictory. You can't go in there representing the Nationalists, or the Royalists, or Labor... or even seeking rapprochement with the Communists. You go in there as all Canissia, each one of us, and you have to find a solution that keeps us all alive and bitching until the next day. And the next. And the next."

"It all seems so pointless, put that way," Arik said.
"It's not," Siobhan said, "Because every day you buy is another day to Cailin's next birthday. And Chyou, Aitan, Nafrini..." Arik smiled.
"It's all for them," he said, "Maybe I can keep them alive long enough to figure out a way out of this mess."

"Someone has to," Siobhan said. "Can I make a suggestion?"
"You wouldn't be my Siobhan if you kept your silence," Arik said, teasing.
"You need to make a choice," she said. "Someone will be King... or Queen... after you're gone. The more they know about this statesman stuff, the better. Take a couple of the kids with you, and get them started." Arik looked out at the water. How easy it had been the first time around, when a moment's melancholy could be cured by a quick drink and some skinny-dipping with this gorgeous redhead next to me... chocolate pudding in the hot tub, ruining a bearskin rug...
"Good days," he muttered.

"What?" Siobhan asked.
"I just was thinking about the first few years I was King," he said, "Good days. You know I replaced all the bearskin rugs with faux-bearskin, right?" he asked. "I felt horrible using the real thing."
"Should we go test them out?" Siobhan asked. "Are you... up for it?" she teased, playfully.
"Oh, don't even," Arik said, "I may be pushing 50, but I'm still in good enough shape for both you."
"Oh, we'll see about that..!"

Results:
King Arik contemplates the way things have gone badly, the responsibilities of being In Charge.

CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Messamerican Aerospace Defense Command [MAD-COM]

"Sir I have a launch alert from Vector 9"

"Can we authenticate?"

"Sir Vector 9 reads a launch bloom"

"What is in that sector?"

"IRT has some facilities down there, I know we've been shipping some liquid fuel parts down there but we haven't been paying attention to that range?"

"They haven't finished the sweep over the West Coast?"

"Not as of the last dual telemetry pass sir"

"Okay, do we have tracking data yet?"

"Working now sir its in range of some extra sats...looks to be transiting mostly east..."

"Bearing for Old Continent of the Crater?"

"...neither, Jim do you see this one too?"

"Yup, I got it Steve...sir it looks like this is at least a single orbit flight and possibly a multi pass LEO launch. Way too much Delta V on that sucker to be going sub-orbital"

"Okay standown, keep tracking this and let the spooky types know that we can classify site George as being principally civilian unless this track takes a turn for the crazy."

"Aye Aye Sir, defense batteries report that they have stood down."

Result Wilkonian controllers weren't ready for that launch...but now maybe they won't piss themselves every time the IRT puts something in the air.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

The Presidents Bunker, Indhopal

"What do think of this transmission? Tonkin of all people coming to the Sultan's aid? IS this for real or is it simply bullshit?" President Raj Ahten asked his war council.

"The transmissions were jammed less than 15 minutes after they began," said an air force officer.
"We've now destroyed the transmitters the Jannisary Corp used for the transmission. Unfortunately sir, the cat is out of he bag. We estimate several hundred thousand people at least saw the transmission."

Syndney Fforde from the ISIA spoke up,
"We're anaylzing the video now. Our men on the ground say they are 90% certain they bagged the sultan. It wouldn't be too difficult to put out a fake transmission. We can mitigate him 'being alive' with DNA tests showing the Sultan is dead and reports showing how the video transmission is fake. The damage is done though A number of mercenary company's are jumping ship on the coup. No one is acting on this supposed offer from Tonkin though. Klavostani mercs never do anything without money up front. Television appeals aren't likely to get them to fight. We think Tonkin is for real on this though we haven't seen much movement yet. Of course the whole thing could be disinformation by Tian Xia, but we think that is unlikely."

The President asked,
"How are our 'friends taking the news?"

"They are thoroughly committed at this point and willing to do what it takes to win. Worried about Tonkin moving in though. Doubtless they will want more from us, especially after its all over."

The President grunted and said,
"Things just got nastier fro Klavostan I think. The APS is going to have problems if Tonkin has a counter coup. We have to head that off before it happens. Tell the undecided mercs that Indhopal isn't going anywhere on this and that the APS is here now and that they are the future. We also need to thoroughly discredit this transmission immediately."

"What about Tonkin?"

"We tell them to keep the hell out of this. Having them in Klavostan is just as unacceptable as having Tian Xia or any other asshole on our border. Prepare to fight Tonkin, if necessary."

Despite the actors changing the stakes had stayed the same. Indhopal couldn't afford to let someone move in next door uninvited.

Official Statements

Indhopal released official statements saying that the Sultan's transmission was fake and could produce evidence to prove it. Experts came on the air and talked about all the various ways in which the transmission could have been fabricated. The President also came on air and said that any attack by Tonkin or anyone else upon the APS would be considered an attack on Indhopal and that Indhopal would respond with every means at their disposal to protect Indhopal and the people of Klavostan.

The APS said they had the Sultan's body and the Jannisaries would simply stoop to any level to wrest power from the rightful heir to the throne. They also continued to show propaganda over the airwaves nonstop.

A Message for Tonkin

Be aware that Indhopal will use any and all methods at our disposal to protect the rightful government of Klavostan, the APS. Any Tonkinite military action against the APS will be considered an act of aggression against Indhopal.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Union Press

Conflicts in Hadhramara raise conserns in al-Ghazzara

Today, the King of al-Ghazzara has publically announced conserns in the ongoing conflict between Muslims and Non Muslims to the north in Hadhramara, reflecting generally held opinions amongst the populace. The lunar faith of this Velerian Kingdom has often brought it into conflict with the forces of militant islam and on several occasions in the past century, armies led by Fundamentalist Warlords have pushed down the landbridge into al-Ghazzara, leaving death and devestation in there path. The King has also ordered additional soldiers to be stationed along the defensive lines in case the worst happens as well as sending a message to the Sultan of Syria requesting endevors be made to prevent various factions in Hadhramara from violating their boarders.

Prime Minister Alexander Heyerdahl steps down

Parliament Hill, Port Victory-Today, Prime Minister Alexander Heyerdahl (liberal party) has stepped down from office after some 8 Years. His replacement is MP Stephannie Fukumoto, the second woman to hold the possition in Zoria's history. Polls have shown that she is generally well regarded amongst the population and her endevors as Minister of Education and Minister of Finance are generally seen as positive.
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

Langley Air Force VC-137C
Camp Kittyhawk AFB, San Dorado

Semi-Unreal Time

President Garrett's call for a world summit in Cascadia came as a rather pleasant surprise to Lelouch and his delegation, who were still waiting on the tarmac at Camp Kittyhawk AFB while trying to decide on their next course of action. "Cascadia, huh?" Lelouch remarked to himself as he read a printout of the invitation. "Awesome. I can give President Garrett my gift, and I can get a general tour of Messica out of the way once the conference is done."

"So, should I have the other Royal Guards bring the gift along, then?" Kallen asked.

"Of course, Kallen," Lelouch replied. "Shirley, notify the Cascadians that we'll be arriving a bit early. Just tell them that I have some business to deal with them before the conference starts."
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

RYAN

Ryan woke up on his side. The first thing he noticed was that he was not in his own bed. Ookay, did I drink too much last night or something? The second thing he realized was that he did not recognize the room he was in. At all. "Oh... Definitely not where I went to bed," he muttered under his breath. Where the fuck am I?

A door opened to his left, and a man wearing a truly absurd amount of armour walked through at a brisk pace, then stopped and saluted crisply. With a voice that sounded like what could only be described as digital gravel, he said, "Good morning, Supreme Leader. Is everything alright with you? You seem a little, uh, alarmed to see me..."

Suddenly, Ryan realized exactly where he was, and exactly what he was doing there. Oh, fuck...

Result: lulz.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

One Country, Many Systems

HUE - The Incorporated Republic of Tonkin today announced that it will be intervening in Klavostan to "stabilize the nation" and bring order to a major trading partner. It has also been noted that the IRT has lent significant amounts of capital to Klavostan in that nation's bid to modernize; financial analysts believe this move is as much a means to secure a foothold in Frequesue as it is to ensure that Tonkinese debt will be repaid. When asked about Indhopol's ultimatum, the only response was "we will defend the legitimate government of Klavostan by any means necessary."

The IRT further noted that it does not seek to overturn the present system of government in Klavostan. Our political desk believes that this would lead to an arrangement such as with Rangatara and Svalbardia: defense and foreign matters would be the province of Hue and internal affairs devolved to those states.

Shuttle Mission Launches

It has been reported today that the IRT's new "space shuttle" today launched on its maiden mission with two astronauts aboard. The first of a planned squadron of ten orbiters, this mission is said to verify critical in-flight systems and the thermal protection system ...

Big Gemini

Press Briefing Excerpt - " The IRT intends to pursue a dual-track development mission with common components. Our new LERT is capable of carrying significant payload into orbit, recovering payloads and providing a base of operations to repair objects in orbit - or indeed, assemble satellites or stations. However, for some cases the requirements of the LERT are not needed. We thus are announcing Gemini II - or, as many call it, Big Gemini. It is capable of ultimately carrying twelve persons into space and, like the LERT, be reusable. It is much more limited in scope, and intended for resupply and personell missions to future stations ... "
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Imperial Chronicles

"This may be one glorified talk shop and nothing meaningful," grumbled Decius.

Selenov nodded, and said, "What do we hope to achieve out of this summit? Do we hope to achieve a direct phone line between all nations, or achieve some kind of detente?"

"Perhaps, I do not know. This summit has absolutely no firm agenda to speak of. The biggest problem really is that both sides fear the lack of transparency of actions. From the current invasion of Sirnoth, to the recent expansion of CATO, to the Tian Xian wrangling in Frequesue, the real issue is transparency, but I fear that there is too much stubbornness to deal with. The summit has to have a clear agenda," says the Emperor. "But we will go.. if only something collapse in acrimony."
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

RYAN
The Citadel, Mirakar, Miratia
The Citadel, they'd called it. Ryan was so moved by the scale of the complex that housed his new government that when he saw it at first, he found himself unable to speak for a good five minutes afterwards. Tears welled up in his eyes even as he thought of it now.

Later, as he was sipping his imported Mushroom CoffeeTM at his desk, Ryan explored the system he would have to become adjusted to. Oddly enough, he found that he could read Miraali runes and speak Miraali fluently and without accent. That was a plus. The four crystal displays he was given to work with were grand enough that he'd had to physically restrain his jaw from dropping with a hand. The secretary gave him a funny look for that. He'd grinned back at her and shrugged. What else could he do?

The interface was, thankfully, remarkably similar to what he was already used to back home. Home... Dammit, where's my family? I hope I didn't drag them into this bloody mess... He remembered his friends. Them, too... He remembered that girl he was hitting on the other day. Okay, okay, they get it, already! Right.

He came across a report that had been flagged for him by what must have been one of his advisors. "Oh, great. Just what we need; more interventionism." He palmed his face, and picked up the phone. "Get me the PIC, please." When the secretary actually seemed to know that he was referring to the Public Information Corps, he felt a warm feeling of pride well up inside him.

Perhaps this wouldn't end in disaster. Maybe just a calamity or two.

Mirakar Intelligence

Supreme Leader Slams Tonkin Interventionism [more]
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

NFT Headquarters, downtown San Dorado

“Can we outbid them?”

“Are you kidding? It’s the IRT. They have more money than Fortune herself.”

“So we can’t outbid them.”

“Of course we can’t!”

“Then we’ll have to think of something else.”

“Better do it quick. Indhopal is going to throw a fit over this.”

“Alright, just let me... Make some calls.”

---

Al-Itaan, Frontier Provinces, Klavostan

The ancient An-22 transport aircraft reversed its four turboprops and came to a swift halt on the dusty, unpaved runway.

A San Dorado-based private contractor owned the aircraft, but it was hired out to a middleman in Winter Army territory and flown by a pilot from one of the Border States. No-one knew where the merchandise came from, but it was brought into Sabika from Syria, on a ship flagged in Astaria Outre-Mer. Whoever arranged these shipments had gone through a lot of trouble to make sure it couldn't be traced back. That, or it was just another ad-hoc illegal operation like so many others.

Anamaria Renner, formerly of Astaria, dismounted through the door underneath the left wing. Trucks were waiting for her, mounted by rugged, bearded men. APS mercenaries had been stationed in the frontier provinces practically since the beginning of the disintegration of the CFR. This was their home turf, uncontested APS territory.

“Gentlemen” she greeted them. “Are you ready to do business?”

One of the men wordlessly handed her a briefcase. Renner nodded in appreciation, stowed the briefcase and gave the signal to lower the loading ramp.

The mercenary captain frowned. “Aren’t you going to check?”

Anamaria shook her head. “I want to be out of here in fifteen minutes, and you know better than to rip me off.” She lead the men to the back of the Antonov. The mouths of some of the mercenaries fell open when they saw the SCUD-D launcher in the hold. Anamaria grinned. “Compliments of Max” she said. “Make the best of it.”

Result: merchants of death begin rolling out heavy gear to the APS. SCUD launchers, Hind attack helicopters, you name it. Operators are provided on an as-needed basis. Also, phone calls are made.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Langley Air Station, Old Dominion

King Paul and Queen Agatha came walking down the Red Carpet with a Dominion Knights Honor Guard on each side of it. Lonestar resisted the urge to fiddle with his collar, since the arrival ceremony, at least, was formal he had to wear the uniform of the Supreme Warlord of the Old Dominion Armed Services. The uniform design dated back to the early 19th century.

I feel like Grand Moff Tarkin, he thought. He would much prefer wearing a business suit like he did for day-to-day stuff. Lady Sterling was wearing a conservative navy-blue dress with an overcoat…the weather was a bit chilly and wet, although it never got cold in Shepland outside of the mountains.

King Paul and Queen Agatha arrived in front Lonestar. "Do I have permission to land, Lord Fairfax?" he asked, invoking the traditional greeting when one foreign representative arrived in the lands of the Old Dominion.

"You do, of course you do. I'm glad you could make it." Lonestar held out his hand, Paul shook it. "King Paul, this is my good friend Sarah Christensen, the Lady Sterling." Paul greeted Lady Sterling and then presented his wife, Queen Agatha. Agatha held out her hand in a way that indicated she wanted it shook, not kissed. Probably doesn't want the lips of a nuclear maniac touching her skin. Lonestar thought.

"Alright, let's wave for the cameras then get out of this weather." Lonestar said.

One Limo Ride later, at the Royal Palace

The two heads of state were in the small game room(so called because a 19th Century Lord Protector had installed a Billiards table in it), each with a class of their preferred frosty adult beverage.

"Thank you for paying a visit on such short notice, King Paul, especially without a formal schedule of events."

Paul waved it aside. "Call me Paul when we're not in front of the cameras. I must confess, I was a bit surprised when Ambassador Strzechowski delivered the invitation. I think she was mildly surprised herself."

"Then you can call me Matt. We never thanked you for you efforts to detain the murderer of Evan Mironov." Lonestar said. "In addition, I felt that answering some questions a non-MESS, non-OICAS Head of State about recent events might be beneficial to MESS-CATO relations. I'm sure that there are some very specific questions on your mind…."
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

White light. Samuel Ralson blinked, then blinked again, but there was nothing to see but that soft radiance that didn’t seem to have an origin. He was floating in a universe of white light—floating, because he clearly felt that he wasn’t standing, sitting or laying down on anything. It felt… Pleasant, in a detached sort of way. He didn’t feel pain, or much of anything else for that matter. It was as if his body didn’t exist here, as if in this place he was strictly his consciousness.

Was he dead? Had he died and gone to some sort of heaven? Sam Ralson briefly considered that possibility before discarding it. He’d never believed in such things, and from what he’d heard about belief systems that included the concept he knew that if there was a heaven he most definitely wasn’t going there. He had too much blood on his hands, crushed too many hopes and dreams, done too many terrible things to deserve any kind of heaven.

So what was this then?

He’d been pondering this question for an indeterminate amount of time –for there was no way to measure the passage of time in this place, or know whether any time passed at all- when his stream of thought was interrupted by a flash, brighter than the strange white light, and the appearance of an odd-looking man.

The man wore what looked like a jumpsuit of a sort, decked out in charcoal black and crimson red. He wore a golden medallion in the shape of a blunt arrowhead on his chest. His face carried a haughty, slightly disdainful expression.

“Well, well” the strange man dryly commented, sizing Ralson up with a look. “Who have we here. Samuel Ralson, professional amoral bastard, I presume?”

“Sounds like me” Ralson shrugged. “And you are..?”

“Oh, where are my manners” the man tut-tutted sardonically. “You can call me Q.”

“What kind of a name is that?”

Q leered irreverently. “Ah, you haven’t heard? Of course not. Sidney never told you his little secret, did he? You should ask him about me someday. But for now it doesn’t matter. What matters is that your shuttle is going to crash and transform into a spectacular fireball that would see it and your slightly charred constituent pieces scattered over tens of square kilometers. Or it would, had I not decided to save you.”

Ralson briefly considered the strange man’s words. “Why?”

“Why not? You amuse me. And I have to admit it’s not often that one of my own creations amuses me. Comes with the territory of omnipotence. But you… You amuse me. So I’m going to preserve your life a little while longer, and see what happens.”

Ralson frowned and opened his mouth as if to speak, but the man calling himself Q looked at a watch Sam was pretty sure hadn’t been there moments before. “Oh dear, look at the time” Q commented dryly. “Mustn’t be late, Sammy-boy! Tah!”

And with that the man snapped his fingers, and the white universe vanished.

Three: Ralson Rogue

A faint breeze carried the smell of burnt soil and fried electronics into the cockpit. Somewhere nearby someone moaned softly. Sam Ralson lifted his head from the cockpit dash. A trickle of blood ran from a throbbing gash on his forehead down into his eyes. He grunted. Pain flared in all his muscles. Despite that he sat up and looked around.

Bellerophon was in a terrible state. The orbiter had come to rest at a skewed angle. The electronics looked dead. The cockpit stank of scorched earth and through the windows Sam could see nothing but dense green foliage.

“We survived?” a slightly bewildered voice said next to him. Sam turned his head to look at Vincent Blues, who was rubbing his forehead. “We survived” the man repeated, more convinced this time. “Damn, I thought I’d done my last line for sure.”

“You still may have” Ralson grumbled as he undid the straps that held him into the chair. “We’re in Velaria.”

Thirty minutes later Sam, Vincent and Clinton Westwood stood outside the crash-landed shuttle, marveling at the destruction it had caused with its descent. Behind the wrecked orbiter a kilometer-long trail of scorched and partially glassed earth had been gouged into the landscape. Trees had snapped like twigs and scattered as if a giant’s hand had swatted them aside. Some of the underbrush was still on fire.

“Think they’ll see this from the air?” Clinton asked.

Sam shrugged. “Even if they see it from space, it could be weeks before anyone gets here. Only the Lady knows where we are.”

“So what do we do?” asked Vincent.

“What do you think about a trek to civilization?” Sam frowned. “Insofar as you can speak of civilization in these parts…”

Clinton frowned. “What about the others?”

“I’m not taking that crazy bitch anywhere” Vincent commented on Miranda, who was still unconscious in the passenger bay. “The pilots though…”

“Let the pilots take care of her. Those two wimps won’t do us any good down here on the ground” Clinton said coldly.

“Fine” Ralson’s voice indicated that he didn’t care either way. “Let’s scavenge whatever supplies we can carry from the shuttle and get a move on, before any of the others wake up.”