Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

RogueIce
_______

Re: SDNWorld Redux: Story Thread the Third

Post by RogueIce »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Imperial Chronicles

Shinra Republic, Unreal time before the conference

"So what exactly do you wish to speak to me about?" Heraclius asked Rufus. The two were seated in a private chamber alone to discuss certain matters most likely pertaining to the MESS.
"I don't think this will surprise you, but there is a consensus to have you made an Observer, rather than a full Member. It would solve the certain issues that being in two alliances at once pose. And there is, as ever, an element of politics involved." Rufus awaited Heraclius' reaction. He had explanations prepared, of course, though he would rather wait and see what the Emperor thought before proceeding.
EDIT: And amidst much pomp and circumstance, President Shinra also arrives at Cascadia.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

RogueIce wrote:"I don't think this will surprise you, but there is a consensus to have you made an Observer, rather than a full Member. It would solve the certain issues that being in two alliances at once pose. And there is, as ever, an element of politics involved." Rufus awaited Heraclius' reaction. He had explanations prepared, of course, though he would rather wait and see what the Emperor thought before proceeding.
"Ha.. So apparently a suggestion I made years ago finally came around. No, I wouldn't be surprised as it was inevitable that either I leave or my membership status reduced.

Though what use is an observer really? At this point, I don't gain much from it, beyond the usual free trade treaties and collaboration etc., which can be dealt with as a separate issue altogether."
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:
RogueIce wrote:"I don't think this will surprise you, but there is a consensus to have you made an Observer, rather than a full Member. It would solve the certain issues that being in two alliances at once pose. And there is, as ever, an element of politics involved." Rufus awaited Heraclius' reaction. He had explanations prepared, of course, though he would rather wait and see what the Emperor thought before proceeding.
"Ha.. So apparently a suggestion I made years ago finally came around. No, I wouldn't be surprised as it was inevitable that either I leave or my membership status reduced.

Though what use is an observer really? At this point, I don't gain much from it, beyond the usual free trade treaties and collaboration etc., which can be dealt with as a separate issue altogether."
"Oberserver status means almost the same thing as regular membership, just without the mutual defense thing. Which, considering what I've heard of your recent equipment purchases, makes sense as you're apparently aligning more with CATO technology in that regard. Essentially, it's a cosmetic change as, practically speaking, your nation tends to act more as an Observer anyway when it comes to the MESS. Of course, saying you're an Observer makes people think you're less of a MESS state, when in practice little will change from the current state of affairs."

Rufus shrugged. He had been considering how to say this next part, but then decided he might as well just say it straight. "It helps if we don't appear too closely aligned, MESS and CATO. I understand the point of the conference and while I'd like good cooperation, publically at least it might be bad if we appeared as too close of friends. If MESS and CATO look too close, fears arise over a 'one world government' and such nonsense. And then there's Japanistan. I know what you'll say, they can be crushed and so on and so forth. But they'd do a lot of damage first. And right now they're relatively quiet. I'd rather not get them even more paranoid than normal, and have repeats of that whole Velarian mess. Or whatever else they might try to do. Do you see my point? It's well and good for MESS and CATO to not distrust each other and even work together. But I feel we should avoid appearing to be too close, if you get my meaning."
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

BLARG!
Sudden reality shift in 3...2...1..

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton