Rules

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Rules

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Hey, I'm really sorry for making a thread and all, but I just can't figure out what the rules are supposed to be.

For example, I get so many points to spend on the military when I make my nation, but how does combat work? What else can I do with that military? Hell, I don't even know how many troop transports I should expect to purchase to be able to field a force of size X for an amphibious assault, should the need arise, so just going off of how I think it should be is liable to make me look like a complete idiot when I find out that (for all I know) the average amphibious transport carries, oh, twelve guys, and I've bought two because I expected them to carry a few hundred at the least.

How do I manage my economy? Are there even mechanics to represent this?

Are there any consolidated rules? If so, where can I find them? Google turns up nothing but the Wiki article, which merely contains yet another version of the nation creator rules I was linked to by other posters.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
RogueIce
_______

Re: Rules

Post by RogueIce »

Ryan Thunder wrote:Hey, I'm really sorry for making a thread and all, but I just can't figure out what the rules are supposed to be.
I'm going to assume this is in reference to SDN World.
Ryan Thunder wrote:For example, I get so many points to spend on the military when I make my nation, but how does combat work?
In theory, through some kind of mutual agreement between warring parties. If you're fighting an NPC you pretty much roleplay it, though some semblence of reality should be obseved. Or handwavium if you're lazy like me. :)
Ryan Thunder wrote:What else can I do with that military?
The sorts of things you do with any military, I suppose. Hold parades, have vicious budget battles, upgrade, oppress your citizens, whatever.
Ryan Thunder wrote:Hell, I don't even know how many troop transports I should expect to purchase to be able to field a force of size X for an amphibious assault, should the need arise, so just going off of how I think it should be is liable to make me look like a complete idiot when I find out that (for all I know) the average amphibious transport carries, oh, twelve guys, and I've bought two because I expected them to carry a few hundred at the least.
Well there's always Wikipedia, GlobalSecurity, or whatever. Just look at various types of military ships/aircraft/tanks/etc to see what you want.
Ryan Thunder wrote:How do I manage my economy? Are there even mechanics to represent this?
Not really. It's mostly done under "what seems reasonable" or even just outright not going into heavy details.
Ryan Thunder wrote:Are there any consolidated rules? If so, where can I find them? Google turns up nothing but the Wiki article, which merely contains yet another version of the nation creator rules I was linked to by other posters.
Pretty much just the nation creater. As Fingolfin mentioned, you don't have to use the points system for your military, though most found that easier than just coming up with a 'realistic' force. Unless you're in to that sort of thing. Your GDP is set in stone though, determined by your nation level.

Other than that, it's mostly play with some sense of fairness and don't go out of your way to try and destroy the world for no good reason.

Oh, and don't piss off the CSR. That's not a rule, just a good idea. :wink:
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Alright, thanks.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Ryan Thunder wrote:Alright, thanks.
The other thing being that since we've already finalize the map you would have to come in as the leader of one of the current NPC nations some of which already have OOBs and some of which don't.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Oscar Wilde
Padawan Learner

Post by Oscar Wilde »

Could we possibly expand this thread to a general layout of the rules for SDN worlds?
It's funny how every Cracked reader seems to change occupation in between reading each article, so that they always end up being irrefutable field experts in whatever topic is at hand.-Dirty_Bastard, cracked.com commentator
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

A bit of necro, but the general rules, are laid out in the first post of this thread: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... 5&t=125247

However, because we are aiming for realism, though failing it at times, we typically let individual nations benchmark their military size to real life comparisons.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Wasn't PeZook building a comprehensive 'what's what in SDN World'? How's that coming along?
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

SiegeTank wrote:Wasn't PeZook building a comprehensive 'what's what in SDN World'? How's that coming along?
I'm guessing he forgot or was too busy.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

It's moving along, but not as fast as I'd like.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

If you need any assistance with it, drop me a PM.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

What's gonna be in the "what's what"?
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!