SD.Net World Redux Comment Thread II

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Er.. Guys of the Old Continent, since Bean didn't play, Khitan... well, is Khitan still there or .. wiped off the face of the earth after WW1?
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Norseman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norseman »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Maybe the Astarians could buy Shroomanian drugs to stimulate the mammaries of their women to lactate and stuff.
I'm not sure if you're trading with me in the first place. I've got lots of embargoes. Anyway once a woman is lactating it's fairly easy to keep her lactating, so trigger lactation or buy already lactating women and there you are.

It's just a small dairy too, and only a couple thousand girls total are involved in production. For now anyway.
Norseman's Fics the SD archive of my fics.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

If he isn't, there's always me as intermediary!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

phongn wrote:If he isn't, there's always me as intermediary!
Yep! And in return, Shroomania can act as an intermediary to those Old Continental dudes who HAET the IRT's hypercapitalism.

I wuvs you phongn!
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Er.. Guys of the Old Continent, since Bean didn't play, Khitan... well, is Khitan still there or .. wiped off the face of the earth after WW1?
It's still there in the map, along with Vulpesia and a few quiet nations. I guess it's about as active as Mongolia is in real life. It IS a pseudo-Mongolia.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

The CSR is alarmed about the IRT's willingness to trade with people who practice slavery, human trade and direct exploit of human bodies.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Norseman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norseman »

Stas Bush wrote:The CSR is alarmed about the IRT's willingness to trade with people who practice slavery, human trade and direct exploit of human bodies.
*Astaria sends nummy Sweet Meadows ice-cream to the IRT, air freight, hopefully those dour CSR diplomats will enjoy the taste of nummy Sweet Meadows style icecream* :-P
Norseman's Fics the SD archive of my fics.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Stas Bush wrote:The CSR is alarmed about the IRT's willingness to trade with people who practice slavery, human trade and direct exploit of human bodies.
I (the chairman of the board) find it distasteful, but the fact that they are virtually a captive market means I have little choice in the matter.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Commune-1 is created.

The real goals are, of course, a little different from what the CCP would like you to think ;) think TOPGUN but for scientists, constructors and engineers.

"Extensive screening" means this is a Elite Sanctuary for people with extensive intellectual and other capabilities, mostly in science.

Of course, the government will be footing the bill for the first several years, and no one knows when the city will become 'self-sufficient', but it's good PR ;)
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

On economic growth, it is completely impossible to calculate what it should be based on such limited data. We'd have to make up entirey arbitrary economic indicators in order to make it possible :)

Fingolfin, a contraction is unlikely based purely on military spending. Seeing as Byzantine trade is still solid and your industries aren't in much trouble, I'd think you could easily achieve a healthy 3% growth, if only in the military sectors.

In general, I'd say the guidelines are that developed countries with a healthy economy (means no wars, structural problems, resource shortages, incompetent management, financial crises etc.) can hover around 2-3% real growth, countries with major problems will generally grow at 1% or less, developing countries can either contract (kleptocracies do that a lot) or grow really, really fast due to introduction of technology (5-10%).

There are thousands of other factors than growth, of course. For example, rapid growth is generally correlated with higher inflation, and if your central bank falls asleep at the wheel, it may result in runaway inflation eating up your real growth. Growth can be unevenly distributed (as probably happens in San Dorado or China IRL), causing social or structural economic problems, etc - for example, in Byzantium's case, their military industry will flourish, as will related services, but other sectors can suffer because of higher taxes and less available labor.

Last but not least, it's possible for real GDP to grow while GDP per capita drops. Shady will see that, since he absorbed three broken or semi-broken republics, so he will get a boost to his total GDP, but his GDP per capita will drop to an average between the central USSR and the annexed border states.

One last thing: it's important to keep tabs on financial systems. I don't think I need to explain why, with all the nastiness happening IRL :D

Generally speaking, a good central bank's leadership should be a non-elected body (since the public doesn't know shit about economics, to be honest), separated from other branches of government. The way of appointing those people is important: I personally think they should be selected by the parliament, rather than the president or emperor.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Thread locked due to length
((Damn my recently restored internet I forgot all about this!))

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton