SDNWorld Redux: Moderator proclaimations.

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

SDNWorld Redux: Moderator proclaimations.

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Because the OOC thread is so long and unwieldy, this is going to be the location that I list all moderator proclamations for convenience. Please keep the chatter down.

Here's a current list:

1. Promotions require you to be 100 posts from the level you're being promoted to AND have 3 years of seniority, OR to be 250 posts from the level you're being promoted to AND have 4 years of seniority, but promotions already made will not count towards this. Note that is effective based on when you join the game, so if you meet the requirements now but are already inside of it, sorry.

2. Naval helicopters mostly don't cost points. I see no possible rationale in making the vital and in some cases only offensive weapons system of a surface warship cost more, when that weapons system is sold in groups of four and almost no naval warships can even operate 4 helicopters, and that weapons system frequently takes up 30% of the volume of the ship, and possibly more. For every operational slot on a ship you get two ASW helicopters; for ships which can carry substantially more helicopters, like carriers and amphibs and so on, you need to purchase S&R helicopters, AEW helicopters, and any troop landing helicopters for the amphibs. You need at least one dedicated S&R and one dedicated AEW helicopter on any ship capable of carrying more than 12 aircraft; on any ship capable of carrying more than 20 aircraft, you need two of each. The one dedicated S&R and one dedicated AEW helicopter, purchased together, cost .5 point. Note that if your ship is a fixed-wing full sized carrier catapult-fitted carrier that can operate AEW aircraft, you can buy those and just spend .5 point on 6 x S&R helicopters instead (to be distributed between two ships with two as spares). Note also that LHDs and LHAs also only need S&R helicopters. You will need to purchase additional AEW/S&R helicopter pairs at .5 point for spares for your ships that need them, generally at a 2:1 ratio of operational helicopters of those types to spares.

3. Militia/National Guard troops cost half as much as their active-duty counterparts, but ready reserve troops do not. Note that militia/NG troops will always have lower quality, readiness, and response times.

4. Ships under construction at the start of the game cannot commission for at least a year in-game and cost half the points of a commissioned warship.

5. The nuclear 2x is simply completely out of proportion with the actual costs involved. It's hereby lowered to 1.5x.

6. Revisions to OOBs can continue until the finalized world map has been posted. At that point, they will not be permitted and will indeed be aggressively punished if you try to rejigger things around. I will inform you here when that period is closed off with a specific post announcing the map and OOBs have been frozen.

7. The ban against SSGs/SSGNs makes absolutely no sense at all, and has been lifted; built them to your heart's content. SSBNs are still banned because there's no plausible reason for them when there's no nuclear weapons, and nobody would have extensively developed long range missiles except for a deterrent force due to their massive inaccuracy, making them more or less useless.

7b. SSGNs cost 6 points, SSGIs cost 5 points, SSGs cost 4 points.

8. Gas and bio-warfare attacks can be announced but the damage cannot be stated in the attacker's post--I will make a direct ruling on how much damage was caused by special weapon attacks. That includes nukes should they appear, as well as incendiary raids on cities.

9. Nuclear development is regulated by the moderator. You must receive permission from me to announce that you have developed nuclear weapons, and I will strictly follow historical development timelines and current estimates on requirements for the preparation and development of nuclear weapons.

10. Your nation does not necessarily love you and will not always obey you--you're the leader of the nation, but it's like if you've been handed a leader-job in the real world. You can fuckup and get removed from power. If you do something batshit motherfucking insane with no in-game reason having been built up in advance, your own generals will coup your ass and stop it from happening. Should that happen I'll run your nation until I can work out an arrangement with you so that there's either a storyline where you manage to return to power or else you start running the nation from the perspective of whomever took over.

11. All moderator decisions, particularly in regard to No.10, can be debated until I say they can't be debated anymore, then they're final. But I will give you time to disagree and talk me out of. Generally speaking, I will NEVER break consensus. If everyone is mad at me from using Ruling 10, say, I'll reverse it and let whatever the player did stand. But if a general consensus supports my action, you can whine all you want but it won't change a thing.

12. Viz: Submarine costs; SSNs still cost 4 points. SSIs cost 3 points, and SSKs cost 2 points. This is due to the fact that upgrading an SSK with nuclear power at x1.5 = 3 points is more representative of putting a hull plug into an SSK design which has lots more batteries and a small 200 kW nuclear reactor for improved under the ice performance.

13. The Untamed Continent is named Velestria, for those who don't know.

14. Since MRBMs exist, satellites exist. Assume prototypes only to date and useless propaganda stunts, because the throw-weight is about right for Sputnik and not much else, but the ballistic missiles some powers have can definitely put tiny satellits into orbit already.

15. Okay, latest proclaimation is that this planet has three moons. One is the size of Miranda, and has a similar crater to Mimas (Q's sense of humour--it's the Death Star looking down on you!). It is however as rocky and dense as our moon. Two more are captured asteroids, about the size of Phobos and Deimos. Miranda-equiv is about at a lunar-ish orbit, the asteroid moons are in erratic orbits with the closest approach almost to the equivalent of geosynchronous orbit.

16. Gravity of this world is .92 Earth Normal.

17. Fucklands preliminary rulings:

17a.

Okay, so new computers is reasonable, but you DIDN'T specify MORE DISTRIBUTED command networks, so I'm going to assume that, at the BEST, you have the following, Shep:

1. The SAGE centers themselves, and,
2. The launch sites,

as the distributed network control points for your BOMARC grid, okay? And that is official.

Those are your targets, Wilkens--the control points for the BOMARC are both backup radars and computers at each site so they can still independently engage when the SAGE is knocked out, but at substantially reduced capability, and the SAGE centres themselves. So there's no distributed command group, but we'll generously assume that local control of the missiles is possible and will have a reasonable success rate, if being rather disorganized, once the SAGE centres are knocked out. But they won't be firing blind, either--I think it's quite reasonable that he posted some radar and computer elements at the launch site as a backup to the SAGE centres, but there's no distributed network since he didn't claim one, so that just means that with the SAGE gone the local control will be much better than it could have been, but still local.

17b. Beowulf only shot down about 300 - 320 of Shep's bombers, not 600. He should accept a reasonable degree of damage from the operations of the remaining bombers against their targets, or Shep should work out what his remaining aircraft did. Assume the actual strike portions of the package were selectively disproportionately targeted, though, to attrite their capability.

17c. Yes, Shep does having Bi-static radars.
Last edited by The Duchess of Zeon on 2008-09-17 07:10pm, edited 10 times in total.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Shall questions & clarifications to this be addressed to you here in this thread, or in the OOC thread?

And how might I best appeal to Your Highness for a favorable decision?

Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Coyote wrote:Shall questions & clarifications to this be addressed to you here in this thread, or in the OOC thread?

And how might I best appeal to Your Highness for a favorable decision?

Yeah, they can be addressed here since... oooh, you ARE sucking up to me already... I can just update the initial post and then add a note on the end saying it's been updated.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Okay, I was wondering about the cost per unit since a lot of us aren't using point systems, and some of us that are using point systems are using them only as ballpark reference figures rather than strict limitations.

For example, my Brigade-Lego system was primarily intended for very fast, not terribly accurate way to figure out a reasonable standing military, with no real system thought out for rear support, admin, supply chains, or Reserves-- just a quick and easy way to answer the quesiton "what would be reasonable for my country?" I, and many others here, are quite at wit's end when it comes to mathematics, after all... :oops:
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Coyote wrote:Okay, I was wondering about the cost per unit since a lot of us aren't using point systems, and some of us that are using point systems are using them only as ballpark reference figures rather than strict limitations.

For example, my Brigade-Lego system was primarily intended for very fast, not terribly accurate way to figure out a reasonable standing military, with no real system thought out for rear support, admin, supply chains, or Reserves-- just a quick and easy way to answer the quesiton "what would be reasonable for my country?" I, and many others here, are quite at wit's end when it comes to mathematics, after all... :oops:
Oh, that works, if you're willing to put that sort of detail into it. Really, I wasn't expecting anyone to budget substantial points for the logistics tail, and that's OK.

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

*rejiggers OOB*
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Okay, that's cool-- but my big worry was about Reserve forces. I didn't really make that a factor, and I was just going to say that for every active duty-unit, there was one Reserve unit of the same type (except for Guards or other Legacy types) to take its place in the event of a call-up. My only real concern was forces available for strike or deployment, since no one in their right mind would actually mobilize 100% of all assets and ship 'em off, leaving nothing behind.

I also have militia, but they are unpaid and buy their own gear, limited to civilian weapons. Being a practicing member of a militia (at least 2 meetings a year) is, basically, their "gun liscence" and instead of pay they get 20% discouts for public transportation and restaurants when on militia drill.

I wasn't sure how all that sort of thing was figured.

EDIT: Actually, it would be pretty damned expensive to have Reserve Airborne & Air Assault; so I'd probably just have Light Infantry as back-up Reserve forces for them.

The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Updated the proclamation list with the point-costs of SSG-type subs.

The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Okay, clarified and cleaned up the helicopter rules.

The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Also, if you buy an SSK and upgrade it with nuclear power, that is considered a form of SSI, thus the maintenance of the 2/3/4 point spread for SSKs/SSIs/SSNs, basically an SSK with a tiny nuclear reactor for improved under-the-ice performance. Basically, the nuclear version of an SSK has a hull plug inserted into a conventional design that has a small 200 kW nuclear reactor and more batteries in it.

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Just how strict are we going to stay with a point system?
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Just how strict are we going to stay with a point system?
Not super strict.
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

So rule #1 means I'm still not eligible for Kingdom Status? I thought I was, since you never contradicted my comment here:

http://server.stardestroyer.net/viewtop ... &start=975

Ah well. At the rate I've been posting lately, I'll be at the proper amount before too long.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Setzer wrote:So rule #1 means I'm still not eligible for Kingdom Status? I thought I was, since you never contradicted my comment here:

http://server.stardestroyer.net/viewtop ... &start=975

Ah well. At the rate I've been posting lately, I'll be at the proper amount before too long.
Eh, you've been here for so long I'm just going to let that statement slide.

You would never be eligible for Kingdom status--your rank can't magically change in the game--once the game started, but since things are still in a flux, I will let you go ahead with that proposal at the moment.

Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

Well thank you. It seems a bit odd to keep people at their entry level, but since the gaps between ranks are so big, it's not like we'll be plagued by people with ten thousand posts who aren't allowed to move up from Duchy status.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Setzer wrote:Well thank you. It seems a bit odd to keep people at their entry level, but since the gaps between ranks are so big, it's not like we'll be plagued by people with ten thousand posts who aren't allowed to move up from Duchy status.
It preserves plausibility. Having one power suddenly double in strength is irrational. The nations can of course have normal economic growth, so you don't strictly remain at the original.

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

phongn wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Just how strict are we going to stay with a point system?
Not super strict.
Well, in that case I will review mine one more time to see if I can really support it.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Ahh, I'll try and review my Army, economy, etc. according to the point system today so please don't close the period. I just need time to do it, and I have very little time :(
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Stas Bush wrote:Ahh, I'll try and review my Army, economy, etc. according to the point system today so please don't close the period. I just need time to do it, and I have very little time :(

I'll do it for you if you run out of time. But we're not quite done yet with the map I think.

phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Stas Bush wrote:Ahh, I'll try and review my Army, economy, etc. according to the point system today so please don't close the period. I just need time to do it, and I have very little time :(
Er, I doubt anyone here is going to begrudge you any time needed.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Clarified status of satellite launch technology.

The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Just as an announcement, I'm going to post a final locked map on the 1st, and at that point, OOB modifications will also be halted so that OOBs can only be updated with new equipment rather than rearranged. After the final map is posted, people can only enter the game by taking over an NPC or the nation of someone who quits. I'll also publish a list of NPCs at that time.

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Hopefully your finalized map won't forget guys like Ninhursag and Langley. Um... you're still cooperating with PeZook on the whole map thing, right?
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Vohu Manah
Jedi Knight

Post by Vohu Manah »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Hopefully your finalized map won't forget guys like Ninhursag and Langley. Um... you're still cooperating with PeZook on the whole map thing, right?
The current revision of her map does have me, although I'm in more open water versus the Black Sea. I just assumed she overruled PeZook and adjusted my OOB accordingly.
There are two kinds of people in the world: the kind who think it’s perfectly reasonable to strip-search a 13-year-old girl suspected of bringing ibuprofen to school, and the kind who think those people should be kept as far away from children as possible … Sometimes it’s hard to tell the difference between drug warriors and child molesters.” - Jacob Sullum[/size][/align]
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:Just as an announcement, I'm going to post a final locked map on the 1st, and at that point, OOB modifications will also be halted so that OOBs can only be updated with new equipment rather than rearranged. After the final map is posted, people can only enter the game by taking over an NPC or the nation of someone who quits. I'll also publish a list of NPCs at that time.
Well I have some stuff I'll rearrange, but that's mostly cosmetic (shifting regiments around, mostly; nothing new, just in a different place).

That and my "Unassigned" things. Stuff I allocated points for but haven't figured out how to deploy it yet. Are things like this still acceptable (note I have the "unassigned" listed in my OOB already).
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight