SD.net's World OOC/Discussion thread MK VI

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

We'll bring you donuts that may or may not be laced with cyanide.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

You're lucky I'm so nice that I'm willing to let Sad Shroom save his country without shedding a single drop of blood :)

EDIT:

This whole "return from ruin" and "A NEW HOPE" thing is starting to appeal to me. Yes, it will be a new day for Shroomania.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Wait, so Shroomania didn't go fascist? I thought you were taking up Shep's villain role since his nation's untimely radioactive demise...

This game is running towards it's end anyway. I'm not posting more posts (I'm cryofrozen, and a 60 yr Ania rules the RT with whatever remaining economy and weapons we have).
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

I'm going to post a recap of the war written by S.Slade -- Senior Surviving Nukistani Targeteer, and M.O'Leary -- Senior Surviving Nukistani Air Force Leader :lol: :P
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

How did they survive anyway? Probably somewhere in Indhopal or Syndromia, or some other lax-security hole :lol:
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

Stas Bush wrote:How did they survive anyway? Probably somewhere in Indhopal or Syndromia, or some other lax-security hole :lol:
Indhopal wouldn't harbor Slade and O'Leary, especially given its involvement in the anti-UAR pogroms immediately after the war. I'd say they fled to Syndromia.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Stas Bush wrote:Wait, so Shroomania didn't go fascist? I thought you were taking up Shep's villain role since his nation's untimely radioactive demise...
Shroomania IS fascist. Shroom sequestered himself in 2029 after he completed building four AI supercomputers and tasked them with running Shroomania. These AIs are made out of neural imprints from Shroom's brain itself... but unfortunately over the years, they evolved and became distinct personalities.

Namely LENIN, STALIN, HITLER and MAO. They head the Ministry of Truth, the Ministry of Peace, the Ministry of Love and the Ministry of Plenty.

They rule Shroomania and they are the fascist overlords. But so far, they have not been belligerent to any other nation and are in fact utterly dedicated to reconstruction and rehabilitation - and are dedicating resources to Shroomania's allies'.

(Still, Shroomania's domestic situation is far from ideal... the AIs took some drastic domestic measures, such as mass Prozium prescriptions, to ensure that the populace would never go insane from the state of the world - which DID drive many other nations to civil war and such.)

But, well, some would say that even Shep and Saddam Insane had the best intentions for the world... :P

Shroom is still sequestered and he's locked himself in his own world. He can still be visited though - Paul, Rufus, Commodus and co. can just waltz in to his inner sanctum (the AIs won't do a thing to hurt him). They can convince him, and with the implant in the base of his skull, Shroom can kill his AIs and try to rehabilitate Shroomania by his self.

Shroom's heart has been replaced by a nuclear battery.
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Stas Bush wrote:How did they survive anyway? Probably somewhere in Indhopal or Syndromia, or some other lax-security hole :lol:
Embassy somewhere?
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

wait? there's AIs already?

hey can anyone give me some achronyms for

SHODAN
HAL
TYCHO
LIBRARIAN (posibly calling it'self ALEXANDER)
ORWELL
and an as of yet un-named god computer...

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Stand by for a retro-con, 12 pages left to read I'll update the rest of myself tonight.

I can tell you now some of your countries won't make it to the future, I've had forty years to play hyper-power with only fall-out and a mostly useless biological attack launched against my own country.

*Edit
Root Kit? Come-the-fuck-on.

A dozen ways to make HISCO Hacker proof

1. Custom operation system written from scratch, until you have a copy of the system you can't put in a root-kit
2. Encrypted communications, have fun brute forcing 1024kb encryption on top of secondary encryption.
3. Hardware burned security codes(Even if it can't be changed, a single station based ID code makes tapping hard)
4. GPS based security, if your not in position X, Y, Z or A we don't respond to your requests(Impossible to fake unless you get control of a UKB transmitter)

A simple secondary system that decides to ignore ot answer requests based on where and how it's being communicated from. If sent from IRT via short wave-ignore, if sent from 2342X, 2000Y within the UKB via radio or Laser-link accept connection.

5. Laser-links primary communication method, possibility of tapping next to zero unless you get a satellite between the transmission and the satellite, or a sensitive enough one to pick up the back scatter, but that's a serious issue since you can't exactly sneak a satellite in close without being spotted.

6. Two part satellite, Open potentially hackable but pretty secure Internet system built into the bottom of the satellite on a totally different communication protocol. A second part in charge of SCORECARD and the satellites actual systems.

7. ID'd the standard traffic from the secure HISCO orders. Since the satellite is constantly being hit with communications request from normal ground stations, trying to ID SCORECARD related traffic out of that is very hard.

I could go on but I'd never revealed this tricks before I went isolationist
Basically, I sat down and through my system out a good week, ensuring both it had the fire-power, the accurasy to meet my goals, then made it as secure as possible, removing the "human element" as much as possible form the loop. Had I even used it against a living target you would have seen all that in action. But never the less, fine whatever, 10 pages left to read, Shepard Nukes some Dino's good on him.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

AvLeak publishes misinformation at times. It's the price of having your magazine be based mostly around information leaks. Sometimes they're wrong. As I stated in the post itself, some of the information in it may not be truthful. It was a fucking joke!
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

5. Laser-links primary communication method, possibility of tapping next to zero unless you get a satellite between the transmission and the satellite, or a sensitive enough one to pick up the back scatter, but that's a serious issue since you can't exactly sneak a satellite in close without being spotted.
You forget I had a very large constellation of satellites in low orbit. Also, I told you before that FSO communications doesn't work for what you wanted to do.
I could go on but I'd never revealed this tricks before I went isolationist
Basically, I sat down and through my system out a good week, ensuring both it had the fire-power, the accurasy to meet my goals, then made it as secure as possible, removing the "human element" as much as possible form the loop.
None of your systems made it impossible to attempt an attack (just difficult), and even if it couldn't be overridden someone could go for a mission kill or denial-of-service attack.
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

yeah, and with stratosphere blimps like I had, or lower altitude sats like he had, either one of us could ping the bloody hell out of your system till it decided to lock everyone out, as a safeguard and shut down/blow up sizeable chunks of your realestate/airspace just to make sure that the hackers were gone.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Yes yes, it was a joke, that was not aimed totally at you. But I made the point of treating my bloody system the same way the US treats the "football" and the launch codes for that, I even gave a time-table when the system would become vurnable, five years of start when people who created the project started leaving it(Leading to a possible leak of everything form the hardware specs to maybe even a copy of the operating system walking out the door in some engineers backpack because my OPSEC was not 100% perfect)

Sad to say, Sheppard nuked the world just before/during that first became possible.

*Edit, Note DOA would possible to pull off against one group of satellites, thus the specification the satellites could talk to each other, thus sending info to Satellite A could be used to communicate to satellite B when it went out of the horizon of your broadcast stations.

However coating the world in EM satellites could counter that, until I got a human presence into space there's always SOME way to counter the system, but I tried to stomp hard on the notion that hacking would be one of them, thus me cutting that off way back when I showed off Scorecard to the world, followed up by me aggressively persuing any "hacking" nonsense.

Only to find it kept right on while I was gone, as long as no one claimed to use it during the Great War I won't be upset.

Have a puppy everyone.

I'll read up the rest tonight

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

On a happier note, the two companies responsible for rebuilding the world will be the UKB based Builders League United and the Bzynatium based Reliable Excavation and Demolition.

*Cookie

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Alright review

New Years celebrations

Everyone tries to play nice

Oooh, Zorian Dino Park

More Proton-M's sold to fun(Horray for extra production ability)
The UAR kicks up a radioactive dust cloud that kills dozens/hundreds, no one does anything but grip

Coyote decides that maybe I was not so crazy... then changes his mind, oh well

Coyote also makes Wall-e jokes, sad sad topical Coyote, this close to a Scary movie issue

Sheppard pushs my uber KKV, the "Commentator" system I had on paper for 160 tons worth of KKV's from one low orbit, never got off the ground so to speak because the cost and usefulness were not to much.

Bzyantium shoots down a recon plane(Their country never got nuked right?)

Sheppard nukes Terra Libertia and a the major city in the area.

FYI, I liked Stas's take, Sheppard-Butcher of Magalia, you should put that in your sig

I see dead people

ProTec hands back the crew

RogueIce does a nice concise briefing of the whole incident

Sheppard switchs his missiles for nukes, more nukes and nothing but nukes, so help me oh holy atom

Lots of suprise nukes being set off, decom teams being sent everywhere

People making crazy claims, Shroom goes of the deep again(16th time this month!)

Pezook tries to get in the KKV game but going me one further by putting Nukes on his.

Total UKB ships delivered before the war hits 381, 108 in the first year, 95 in the second, 69 in the third, plus the 115 odd build at home. Nice big Merchant Marine

Coilberg goes Sociality puppet to the UAR

Shady gets nipplie rings and dwarvers

Eagle flight moduel, nice design, NASA?

OK on Page 14 at Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:16 pm , Sheppard kicks off nuclear war

Right I'll stop there and read the rest tomorrow morning

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Er.. that aircraft was flying in Terra Libertia, and well, the missiles were manned by Diocese personnel.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

PeZook, what's exactly inside the file?
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Mr Bean wrote:Sheppard switchs his missiles for nukes, more nukes and nothing but nukes, so help me oh holy atom
That's the planned one -- it hadn't even gotten off the ground when the war broke out -- still in conceptual planning stages.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:PeZook, what's exactly inside the file?
Information that Shroomania is not, in fact, being ran by Shroom anymore, but his AIs, that the population is drugged, etc.

Also, speculation that the Prime Minister is interred somewhere inside Fortress Farbanti.

basically, what we need to figure out that Shroom needs a whack on the head ;)
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Oh, and as for the war account, I'd guess both of the officials would give an interview in a dark room with electronically changed voices :P

Seeing as a lot of people still hate everything UAR ;)

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

PeZook wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:PeZook, what's exactly inside the file?
Information that Shroomania is not, in fact, being ran by Shroom anymore, but his AIs, that the population is drugged, etc.

Also, speculation that the Prime Minister is interred somewhere inside Fortress Farbanti.

basically, what we need to figure out that Shroom needs a whack on the head ;)
Well, I will summon some military firepower just so in case things do happen (no I didn't ask for Nukes, but if need be, I'd bring some).
Kreia
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I think the AIs understand what would happen if they tried to use force to prevent us from reaching Shroom.

On the other hand, if we reach Shroom and convince him to kill the AIs...they're dead. So they may try quite a few desperate tricks :P

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

PeZook wrote:I think the AIs understand what would happen if they tried to use force to prevent us from reaching Shroom.

On the other hand, if we reach Shroom and convince him to kill the AIs...they're dead. So they may try quite a few desperate tricks :P
Precisely. I think I will bring along a company of Varangian Guards, all equiped to fight in an NBC environment, and ready to do some serious damage. :D
Kreia
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Well, rest assured I'm aiming for a namby-pamby feel-good ending :)

Hey, the Langleys are awesome! PJ's still flying!
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!