SDNWorld Redux: What technology level would you like?

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

What technology level do you desire?

Same as the last
43%
Same as the last, minus nukes
11%
Early 1900s
31%
Other (please specify)
14%

Total votes: 35

Coiler
Jedi Knight

SDNWorld Redux: What technology level would you like?

Post by Coiler »

I wanted people's opinions on what you feel the appropriate technology level of the rebooted, radiation-free SDNWorld STGOD would be. Some want it to be the same time and place as the last, minus Shepnukistan, some want it to be in the same time and place as the last, minus Shepnukistan and nukes in general, others want the same time put a new place, and still others want a new map and for it to be set in the very early 1900s.

Vote away!
Visitor of five museum ships.
Setzer
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Setzer »

I'd like it to be medieval in technology, say, about 1000 AD.
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Modern Level of technology, with mabye a few things a bit (a decade or two at most) more advanced.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

I wouldn't mind early 20th century.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

I'm partial to 1900s as well, might actually get me to stay in the game this time. :P
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Mid 20th maybe?
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

Modern tech.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Modern tech.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Modern technology (SDN 2012 level, the level of destruction event). Early XX century is just too predictable and it will go HoI soon, whereas new research gets us to develop some potentially studied right now stuff... and use it for bolstering mankind's scientific knowledge.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Modern, with some of our projected "next ten years" possibilities thrown in that we'd developed.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

retro sci-fi

bring out the brotherhood of steel powered armour...

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Kronos
Redshirt

Post by Kronos »

Well, I may not be joining this, but has anyone consider the 16th Century as a viable time period? No nukes or tanks, and Conquistadors!
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Kronos wrote:Well, I may not be joining this, but has anyone consider the 16th Century as a viable time period? No nukes or tanks, and Conquistadors!
You've been reading 163X haven't you?
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Modern tech is boring, I'd much rather have a battlefleet
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I will get rich selling electrical shavers.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

I support early 1900s. Trench warfare and exploitation of natives for the win!
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

What era we do is really all about what people want to do. If everyone wants full scale war, we have to go back in time. But being modern doesn't mean no war. People would just have to be happy with proxy wars and insurgencies. Personally I'd like to stay modern as that gives small countries more to do. In total war scenarios in the 1900's forward we'd be steam rolled. It would be like playing Norway in Hearts of Iron.
Vohu Manah
Jedi Knight

Post by Vohu Manah »

The concept I've devised really only works in the modern era.
There are two kinds of people in the world: the kind who think it’s perfectly reasonable to strip-search a 13-year-old girl suspected of bringing ibuprofen to school, and the kind who think those people should be kept as far away from children as possible … Sometimes it’s hard to tell the difference between drug warriors and child molesters.” - Jacob Sullum[/size][/align]
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

mind you I really wouldn't mind going "Fallout" ....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

I say 1930's, no radar's baby tanks and machine guns for everyone!

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Raj Ahten wrote:What era we do is really all about what people want to do. If everyone wants full scale war, we have to go back in time. But being modern doesn't mean no war. People would just have to be happy with proxy wars and insurgencies. Personally I'd like to stay modern as that gives small countries more to do. In total war scenarios in the 1900's forward we'd be steam rolled. It would be like playing Norway in Hearts of Iron.
Umm you’d be steamrolled way worse in the modern era. In the modern era a small nation will have no hope of holding air superiority, thus allowing an attacker to totally destroy your infrastructure and mechanized military. At that point the only line of resistance left open to you is a guerrilla war.

Back before and even during WW2 a small nation would actually be much better able to defend itself with proper preparation. You can afford weapons that are fully equal to those of even the great power (towed artillery, forts, early tanks, machine guns, you can’t build an F-22 Raptor of any of them) and you could have a massive army for you size through conscription in a way that you just don’t see in the modern era anymore, except maybe North Korea. Air power is a threat, but it can't go blowing away every bridge and tank in the country with ease.

Mr Bean wrote:I say 1930's, no radar's baby tanks and machine guns for everyone!
1930 would be a great starting point, aircraft are just starting to push the 200mph barrier and become a serious weapon of war but the battleship is still king.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
Umm you’d be steamrolled way worse in the modern era. In the modern era a small nation will have no hope of holding air superiority, thus allowing an attacker to totally destroy your infrastructure and mechanized military. At that point the only line of resistance left open to you is a guerrilla war.

Back before and even during WW2 a small nation would actually be much better able to defend itself with proper preparation. You can afford weapons that are fully equal to those of even the great power (towed artillery, forts, early tanks, machine guns, you can’t build an F-22 Raptor of any of them) and you could have a massive army for you size through conscription in a way that you just don’t see in the modern era anymore, except maybe North Korea. Air power is a threat, but it can't go blowing away every bridge and tank in the country with ease.

Mr Bean wrote:I say 1930's, no radar's baby tanks and machine guns for everyone!
1930 would be a great starting point, aircraft are just starting to push the 200mph barrier and become a serious weapon of war but the battleship is still king.
Well in the modern era I could conceivably be part of an alliance with a nuclear deterrent. Hopefully that would make people think twice about seriously invading a small nation. Proxy wars would be the order of the day. Really though small nations are pretty worthless in either scenario. Just don't have the production to do much against the big boys in a major war.

That said I could go either way on time frame. The 30's could be very interesting as wars don't immediately turn into a nuclear exchange. Would larger nations have colonial Empires, s they are still in vogue? That would make the third world zones a lot easier to handle.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

We can start Janurary 1st 1930 with the same two weeks=1 year timeline as last time, with end date of December 31st 1945 which means a almost eight month long game and all the restrictions of the 1930's. Eariliest you can pull off any kind of useful Radar is 1934, Nukes are off limits until 1943 and costs lots of money to develop.

Don't know what kind of world we'd be using however.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton