SD.net's World OOC/Discussion thread MK IV

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Stas Bush wrote:I say our next launch whatever rocket we use, catastrophically explodes on the 51st second. Whatever payload too.

If it's unmanned though it should explode on the launchpad. Also killing some people.
The next launch is an unmanned Soyuz TMA (Selene 1A).

This will cause delays :D
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

I also did some charts on common LEO booster and their respective payload performance in the History Forum, so all Space Agencies are free to use that.

Of course, it only details the loads and evolution of the most common, widespread and frequently launched real-life booster families, no "Saturn", "Energia", or any project vehicles.

But I'll make some charts on rocket family design projects too in the future :)
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Poor Ivan The Chimp - he's going to die :(

BTW, this is an important question: does the latest Soyuz model allow for spacesuits to be worn by the crew when strapped to their couches?

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

BTW, this is an important question: does the latest Soyuz model allow for spacesuits to be worn by the crew when strapped to their couches?
As far as I know, yes. The "Sokol" sofr spacesuits protect the crew from dehermetization while strapped to the "Kazbek" chairs.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Stas Bush wrote: As far as I know, yes. The "Sokol" sofr spacesuits protect the crew from dehermetization while strapped to the "Kazbek" chairs.
I'm asking because one of the Soyuz development models had to reduce crew number from three to two in order to let them wear the space suits.

The cockpit is pretty cramped ; In fact, while Apollo had 3 cubic meters less living space, the couch arrangements seemed more comfortable. I'm not sure if I wouldn't trade leg room for a proper toilet, though ;)
Last edited by PeZook on 2008-06-16 05:48am, edited 1 time in total.

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

PeZook wrote:Poor Ivan The Chimp - he's going to die :(
:lol:

I shouldn't laugh, but I did.

Goddamn it, we're gonna be poor! This sucks! :(
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Shroom Man 777 wrote: :lol:

I shouldn't laugh, but I did.

Goddamn it, we're gonna be poor! This sucks! :(
But Ivan will have a memorial dedicated to him at Korolev Spaceport ;)

Unless...a maverick Shroomanian technician who has nothing to do with the rocket design at all discovers the minor fault in the staging mechanism which will cause the second stage to ignite on the pad, and fights through bureaucracy and various unlikely problems and gets launch control to abort the launch at the last possible moment, thus saving Ivan The Chimp and becoming hero of the day!

We could make a movie about that, and Ivan is probably going to be grateful. We can always roast some astronauts later to make up for that one ;)

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Fuck that shit, let the monkey burn.
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Fuck that shit, let the monkey burn.
:D

But look at him! Ain't he just adorable? ;)

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

PeZook wrote:
Shroom Man 777 wrote:Fuck that shit, let the monkey burn.
:D

But look at him! Ain't he just adorable? ;)
*silently writes an edict proclaiming crusade against overly cute chimps.* :wink:
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

I second the death of Monkey Hero. Or Hero-Monkey.

We will erect a 500 m obelisk in his honor at Korolev :lol:

Assalti Frontali
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I hope it will throw barrels at people.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote: *silently writes an edict proclaiming crusade against overly cute chimps.* :wink:
So...now we know who to suspect when the rocket blows up :P

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Stas Bush wrote:I second the death of Monkey Hero. Or Hero-Monkey.

We will erect a 500 m obelisk in his honor at Korolev :lol:
The only chimp to ever be awarded "Hero of the Soviet Union"?

:lol:
Shroom Man 777 wrote:I hope it will throw barrels at people.
Why not throw bananas instead? [/quote]
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote: Why not throw bananas instead?
Or poop!

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Because.

Italian Plumber Stalin Stas needs to stop him and save the princess, duh.

How much is Ivan the Monkey's death gonna cost us?

Goddamn it, ShroomSat/StratTV better cover it to make up money!

Maybe ask for donations to Ivan's grieving widow and childrens. Yes.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Shroom Man 777 wrote: How much is Ivan the Monkey's death gonna cost us?
Off the cuff, around 80 million for the booster, between 80 and 100 mil for the capsule and an undetermined amount for the launch pad. Stas can give us a better estimate here.

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

At least it doesn't waste My Comona. My...my...my....my... MY COMONA! *sings*

Oh well. I am sure your PeZookians are gonna just love this news.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:At least it doesn't waste My Comona. My...my...my....my... MY COMONA! *sings*

Oh well. I am sure your PeZookians are gonna just love this news.
As if the angry disenfranchised young men and anarchists weren't bad enough, we're gonna get animal rights protesters, too.

You better prepare a damn good speech, mang :D

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Well, the booster is 40-60 million. The wasted capsule is definetely around 100 million. The pad is not destroyed (can't destroy a concrete pad designed to tackle such things), but the launch crane and some other complex infrastructure will be destroyed so off-hand, another 80-100 million.

Remember that there are multiple R-7 launchpads and the crane for liftoff can be used for any R-7 family vehicle, be it a Soyuz or Molniya family or whatever (I say we use the Soyuz 2 always as it's the best and top notch of all R-7 mods and has the highest lift capacity, with a marginal cost difference).

Comona will be more heavily used for the R-7 launches and Titan launches.

My cosmodrome then will concern itself with heavier stuff with the Bean-imported Vulkan rockets.

Assalti Frontali
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Okay...since I can't wait to fry the poor little chimp, I'll speed things up a bit :D

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

PeZook wrote:As if the angry disenfranchised young men and anarchists weren't bad enough, we're gonna get animal rights protesters, too.

You better prepare a damn good speech, mang :D
Well, I would... if only Sultan Ibrahim and Emperor Shady got off their cruise-controlling arses and skidaddled to Shroomania to chat with the PM so he can then fly to PeZookia afterwards... :evil:

I do not want to transmogrify into three separate entities to conduct three separate conferences in three separate country in the same (unreal) time! :P
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

...and the Chief Launch Controller utters the Sentence Which Should Never Be Uttered.

"Hey, what could go wrong?"

At least he didn't say the much worse "What could possibly go wrong?"

Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Post by Grand Moff Yenchin »

Shroom Man 777 wrote: Well, I would... if only Sultan Ibrahim and Emperor Shady got off their cruise-controlling arses and skidaddled to Shroomania to chat with the PM so he can then fly to PeZookia afterwards... :evil:

I do not want to transmogrify into three separate entities to conduct three separate conferences in three separate country in the same (unreal) time! :P
LOL with a lot of events in Shroomania I was pondering how to fit the Sultan's time. I guess I'll just write it in.
1st Plt. Comm. of the Warwolves
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I was planning some hijinks with the Prime Minister having a meaningful discourse with the Sultan while talking to a concerned Shady over the state of his nation while trying to make sure neither the Sultan nor Shady know either one is in Shroomania. Since the Sultan would no doubt really dislike a man who calls himself a God, and who knows what Shady would think about the Sultan.

Prime Minister Shroom would be, like, two-timing them. Maybe he'd get Shady to hide in a refrigerator while the Sultan comes in for a drink or something.

"Why Emperor, please try this new low-temperature hibernation rejuvenation chamber! Oh, it happens to be stocked with meats and fish - to supplement the user in his healing!"

*shoves Shady in fridge*

"Ah, greetings your Eminence. What would Sultan want from the Capitol's finest kitchens?"
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!