SD.Net World(RAR!) MK III

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

Shady News

Imperial Palace Nearing Completion

It was announced today that the Imperial Palace is nearing completion and that the palace and the statue of the God Emperor will soon be ready. It is expected that the Emperor will hold a huge opening celebration upon its completion. The Invitations have not yet been sent but it is expected that all FUN and MESS leaders will be invited to attend.

Imperial Army reaches desired size

"Ever since the Civil War the Imperial Army has been growing in numbers, the desired goal was 15000 soldiers and now we have reached that goal"-said Commissar Marek- Commander of the Imperial Army at a press conference today. This new army has been trained by the more experienced Shadow soldiers and its officers have been trained with the assistance of the MESS, especially the Shinra Republic.

Imperial Air Force Ready for Action

Our pilots have been trained by our glorious comrades from the Shinra Republic for quite some time now and today the first class of combat trained pilots begins active service. "We have been training very hard and we are ready to defend the Empire and kick ass!"- said an anonymous Shadow Pilot.

The cooperation between the Shadow Empire and the Shinra Republic continues and further training is in progress, great work has also been done on rebuilding the Imperial Air Defense systems.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Constantinople Times

Continued Construction of defences along the Eastern and Western shore continues.

Construction of defences along the Eastern and Western coastlines continues even though the threat of war has diminished. The Eastern coastline in particular continues to be defended by a system of coastal artillery positions, machine gun/mortar posts, hidden Standard SM-2/1 missiles, mines, S-300 and Buk-1-M1 missiles. Troops are issued with Igla missiles and anti-tank missiles such as Javelin, RPG-29 and others. Land based Harpoon batteries were also installed in camouflaged positions. Radar was also installed in many locations, along with multiple broadband ECM and ECCM. Soon new Yahkhont missile battalions will be added to this extensive defensive array, along with a number of RAM/CIWS systems for point blank missile defence.

It is also believed that the military is experimenting with laser defences which may be deployed soon. Recent tests somewhere in Anatolia have achieved a fair degree of success. It is believed that the intended system is so similar to the Cannissian THEL that the military might just buy off the shelf. However, the military is more inclined to let the system mature a bit more and yield maybe more power output than the Cannissian THEL, especially if the enemy starts deploying missiles which have laser countermeasures like reflective coatings. Continued work on solid state lasers continues with the aim of achieving more than 100 KW of power.

In the future, it is believed that many of these defences will be automated, and that process has begun with the city defences, with the eastern coast coming next and the Western coast last.

(OOC: I was envisioning the defences will be similar to the completed German defence of the French shores, but extensively upgraded with a system of underground bunkers and what not and solid concrete walls and many other amenities.)

Construction of underground tunnel/train system and bunker continues. Scheduled Completion is next year.

The underground tunnel/train and bunker system continues at rapid speed. Though 50% of the system was only ready during the last war, it was barely sufficient to evacuate most of the population, and many had to be transported by the ground level systems. However, come next year, citizens should be able to rush to the many train stations across the empire and access the underground trains and reach for the underground bunkers deep in the hills of Greece and mountain ranges of Anatolia.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Emporer Colin's "Coma" continues:

Still in a vegative state, with high levels of EKG activity The Cause and length of the Emporer's coma remain a mystery. since his other vital signs have almost stopped, he seems to be more in some form of unknown trance....

Coilerberg Marines run from flying machine. Col. MacGekko sucessfully constructed a heavily armed autogyro out of spare parts lying around in a bombed out Zablorgian Airfield. When a squad of Coilerberg marines tried to arrest Col. MacGekko, thinking him to be one of the Terrorists, he returned fire, with his fully operational and armed Autogyro, before using it to fly to Syndromia.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Coiler
Jedi Knight

Post by Coiler »

Coilerburg soldiers conduct sweep of Zablanian jungle

Thousands of Coilerburg soldiers swept the jungles surrounding the village of Eden for PAF-GENITAL holdouts and other ne'er do wells taking advantage of the lack of civilization in Zablania to operate bases there.

The operation was a dangerous one, with the soldiers facing fanatical defenders who knew the terrain, traps, and dinosaurs. Eleven Coilerburg soldiers have been killed so far, and more have been wounded.

But those who have died have not done so in vain. Many PAF-GENITAL fighters who survived the previous battle have been either killed or captured by the Coilerburg military, and many hidden stashes of weapons and vehicles have been discovered.

A particularly important find was several containers of poison gas and plans for releasing them in New Gottland, as "payback" for the country's extensive fishing industry. A Coilerburg senior officer has stated that "If we had just grabbed Miss Jia, taken the village, and left, this would not have been found and PAF-GENITAL could slip out and kill more innocents Thankfully, we didn't."

Several more bizarre incidents in the operation include the rescue of several Bear Republic commandos who had soaked themselves in dinosaur urine and spent the rest of the time fleeing for their lives from raptors who saw them as heated females, as well as a crude autogyro blasting its way past Coilerburg marines who attempted to detain its pilot.
Visitor of five museum ships.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Constantinople Times

Canissia and Byzantium agree to jointly work on solid state lasers.

Solid State lasers present numerous advantages compared to many other laser types. Hence, Byzantine Defence Research Institute and their Canissian counterpart agreed to jointly develop solid state lasers for various applications, many of which are undisclosed as yet.
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Shroom Man 777 wrote: "For King Paul," he said and Paul nodded at him. "Why do so many people want you dead?"
[:twisted: ]
"Well...this is a complicated question, and I hate to admit that so far I have failed to find a satisfying answer. The last assassination attempt was caused by the fact some people do not share the priorities of my government - they care more about their money and the bottom line than their relations with society.

Tying to the last question by Ms. Brzeska - PeZookia has been heavily increasing its government expenditure in the last two years, targeting the wealthiest to pay for infrastructural, social, health care and educaton programs. As you all know, I am of the opinion that the wealthiest part of the population, which has benefitted the most from the infrastructure and achievements of the society they live and/or work in, should contribute proportionately more to the improvement of this society. There are people, however, who do not see eye-to-eye with me on this issue, and four of them were wealthy enough to think they could force a change in this policy.

I have no idea why someone could've tried to assassinate me yesterday. Next question, please."

A tall man stood up this time and was handed the microphone.

"Kamil Damiecki, economics department. This one is for Emperor Heraclius: Could you please explain what concrete, tangible economic benefits the space program can bring to PeZookia and the FUN as a whole?"
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Presidential Residence, Shinra Republic

"I think at the end of it all, it comes down to principles and how we live by them. It is up to you to decide ultimately whether or not you wish to die by your principles, or simply let innocent lives die because you would rather someone else suffer for it."

President Shinra had been watching the televised record of the event now underway at Astoria University, and this line in particular stuck with him. This was, after all, what he told himself he had been trying to do. Even in his darkest hours, he hoped that, somehow, ultimately, what he was doing would be for the greater good.

So far, it seemed, he had been fairly lucky in that regard.

He stood up and walked over to the balcony. The sun was shining again in the Shinra Republic. And he decided now was as good a time as any to head to PeZookia. Sure, he had had some three State Visits here recently, and indeed had seen both King Paul and Emperor Heraclius during that period. But he felt now was a good time to go.

He had his reasons, too: King Arik would be there soon, along with Miss Jia. He would of course stop by and see his friend personally. He also knew that members of the SIS had been present during the raid; this would be a good chance to see them, and perhaps offer them some form of reward - in private, of course. He would also be seeing Prime Minister Shroom for the first time, and he wanted to know how he was doing. Plus, he figured it would be an experience meeting the sometimes odd, yet obviously very capable, Prime Minister of Shroomania. And of course, he would enjoy meeting with King Paul and Emperor Heraclius again, even if it was very soon after their last meeting.

Plus, he would like the chance to visit with Kamila. He had heard that the very pleasent and sweet aide to King Paul had been hurt during the latest attempt on Paul's life.

And finally, it seemed like a prime moment. With three MESS leaders and two leaders of the FUN present, it would be a good time to discuss more formal defense and trade agreements between the two alliances.

He walked back in to his office, and picked up the phone. They would get in touch with the PeZookian government and see about arranging all of this as soon as was possible. President Shinra hoped to be in the air no later than the evening.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

(OOC: A double slammer today! Two bulletins for the price of one post!)

FASTA Bulletin

Selene 1A-bis moved to reconstructed R-7 launch pad

The completed Selene 1A-bis launch vehicle has finished assembly and was rolled out to the launch pad today at dawn. The spacecraft, consisting of a Soyuz-2 launcher and a modern Soyuz-TMA space capsule, will be used to test the capsule's life support, guidance and attitude control systems.

The TMA version of the venerable Soyuz vehicle, called the "lunar capsule" by some, is a modified, high-endurance space vehicle designated to take the first Nova Terran astronauts to Selene and back. It has been fitted with modern avionics, a Standardized Inter-Agency Docking Port and modifications allowing it to carry the necessary equipment for lunar exploration.

The Selene 1A-bis mission will carry one passenger, a chimpanzee named Fajita. Animal rights groups have protested the use of live chimpanzees for spacecraft testing before, and have claimed they will attempt to "Have the launch aborted by any means necessary in order to save Fajita from certain death".

Fajita the Chimpanzee, selected to fly on the Selene 1A-bis spacecraft

In light of the recent terrorism wave by PAF-GENITAL, Korolev spaceport has been closed to spectators and tourists. No civilians will be allowed within 15 kilometers of the launch site, and Korolev's security co-ordinator has warned that any tresspassers entering the spaceport illegally will have to contend with the possibility of being detained or even shot.

Concept evaluation begins for lunar habitats

A group of volunteers have chosen to test a proposed lunar habitat prototype during a six-month stay in Zablania. The volunteers will evaluate the feasibility of long-term isolated living without access to regular resupply, and will use equipment similar to what real astronauts will have to utilize while exploring Selene.

"The purpose of this excercise is to see if the basic concepts are all right - obviously, the real mision will not attempt a six-month stay right at the start, but we need to see if the habitat has the capability to become the basis of a permanent outpost."

Two experiments will run concurrently: one using a full-sized mockup of the LK-700 heavy lander, and one using inflatable habitats. Zablania was chosen as the testing site because its charred landscape presents challenges very similar to a lunar environment.

LK-700 descent engine tests begin

While the Altair lander is slowly becoming a reality, the massive LK-700 Direct Ascent lunar lander, proposed as the basis of a future permanent outpost on Selene and an automated lunar supply ship, has just went out of the drawing board, with first descent engine tests conducted at Korolev Spaceport.

The engineers claim the unit performed well, well inside the desired specifications. This is the most complicated single rocket engine built by the Red Technocracy to date, and care must be taken to ensure it will fire in space without any problems.

ISCA bulletin

First Nuclear Passenger Ship finishing preparations

The first-ever Nuclear Passenger Ships is finishing construction in Shroomanian docks. The massive vessel, capable of carrying hundreds of passengers in lavish luxury, will not begin its life with a pleasure cruise, however. It has a far more important mission ahead of it.

Outfitted with top-notch scientific equipment provided by many ISCA and FASTA countries, the vessel will embark upon an epic journey: the first circumnavigation of the Nova Terran globe!

"We thought it was a great opportunity to explore the small islands uncovered by satellite photography which riddle the Great Western Ocean, map them out for construction of tracking stations next year. And, of course, it will be a great promotional tour, showing off the endurance of the NPS.", said the ISCA press spokesman

The NPS "Ferdinand Magellan", being towed to the Nuclear Refuelling Pier

The ship will carry more than 600 scientists and technicians on a mission of exploration which will surely go down the annals of history. After completing the circumavigation, the "Magellan" will be converted into a luxury cruise liner and will begin serving its stated purpose.

First undersea habitat prototypes now in operation

The first prototypes of the ISCA Modular Undersea Habitat are now operational. Constructed with the aid of the Duchy Of Baerne, these habitats are expected to perform the role of scientific laboratories which will aid the exploration of Nova Terran oceans. Powered by nuclear reactors and of modular design, the habitats can be scaled to any desired size. Data will be collected on habitat operation throughout 2012, at which time the ISCA will start offering the units to countries world-wide.

First autonomous sea platforms to see operation by end of 2012

The ISCA-managed project to develop autonomous tracking stations for the FASTA space program has come to bear fruit, with first prototypes seeing evaluation in the Central Sea.

These devices, capable of collecting and transmitting telemetry data from orbiting spaceraft, will work in conjunction with MacMillan Stratellites and land-based radars to aid the moon landing program. The FASTA intends to establish them early in 2013 with the use of ISCA Special Nuclear Commerce Ships, constructed explicitly for the purpose of delivering and servicing the tracking stations.

The likely power source for the devices will be the floating reactor barges currently being designed and evaluted by the Byzantine Empire.

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

PeZook wrote:"Kamil Damiecki, economics department. This one is for Emperor Heraclius: Could you please explain what concrete, tangible economic benefits the space program can bring to PeZookia and the FUN as a whole?"
"Thank you sir for your question. To begin with, Byzantium was involved in the now-defunct OMSK space program and we now contribute somewhat to FASTA. Now I understand your concerns that the FUN space program is expensive. It is expensive because rocket are expensive and the development of rockets even more so.

But the immediate benefits of the space program were that we could now launch satellites into space that could orbit the earth. These satellites could be used for telecommunications, weather forecasting and host of other applications. Any space program would entail a good bit of research into material science and computers as well. The advances made would trickle back to the mainstream in the form of better materials that can be used for a wide range of applications and of course, faster computers.

Now, FASTA aims to eventually go to the moon. Aside from scientific curiosity, the moon does offer a zero-g enviroment that will be useful for research that requires a low-g force environment. Further, the moon can serve as a refueling and refit point for ships heading out into the solar system. There is much to explore in our own star system, and the asteroid belt itself appears to be a rich source of minerals and metals. I would dare say that though a space program is downright bloody expensive, the long term payback is significantly larger. It is the same with the days of sail. It took centuries for the human race to achieve a vessel that could travel around the globe, but the avenues for trade opened more than justified the cost. Thank you."

The Emperor drank his glass of water after finishing his little speech. Next came a professor from the International Relations department. "Gentlemen, thank you for your speeches today. What piqued my interest was the Emperor of Byzantium's comment on OMSK and how the alliance, once the largest, collapse into ignominity. As it stands now, we have 3 alliances, UAR, FUN and MESS. UAR as we all here know, are known for their rather secretive and belligerent policies. How would the other 2 alliances, FUN and MESS, react to another UAR military adventure?"
Kreia
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Paul looked at his counterparts behind the table. Now that was one loaded question.

"I think all three of us should comment on that one...", Paul seemed to be weighing his words for a minute, "I suppose it depends on what you mean by a 'UAR military adventure'. As you probably remember, last time the world came to the brink of nuclear war by an actual nuclear attack on a MESS convoy because of a perceived insult to the UAR, related to the arming of General Alexander...it was a complicated situation to be sure."

Paul drank a sip of water.

"Any reaction to another incidents similar as this must avoid escalation, but this is easier said than done. The UAR obviously considers the MESS a huge threat to their national sovereignty, and their policy is centered around massive nuclear attack as the first option in case of war. Personally, I think this is why the FUN should tread lightly, and our first priority should be to de-escalate rather than escalate a potential conflict should it ever arise again. I can't say I am satisfied with how the UAR conducts international affairs - a little more openness from two gigantic nuclear-armed Imperium would be more than welcome. Thank you."

Paul was not satisfied with his answer, but he would not risk fuelling the UAR's paranoia by saying he hated how they seemed intent on holding the world at gunpoint. Goddammit, does everything I say threaten to make policy?, he thought to himself.

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Imperial Chronicles

The Emperor took a deep breath. "I think it suffices to say that the MESS, though we value a strong defence, does not wish to enter an armed conflict with UAR unless, well, that depends on the situation in question. We prefer to have peaceful relations, rather than an antagonistic one." Ambiguity and subtlety seem to be the best way to answer that question.
Kreia
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Astoria U

Shroom guessed it was his time to answer the goddamn question. Expectant eyes were looking at him when he stood up. Actually, the expectant eyes were really looking at his groin-o-phone.

Goddamn.

He picked up a glass of water and took a sip. His last answer was particularly long winded, and he hoped they would appreciate the fact that he was running out of saliva.

"First, I would like to say that King Paul and I share the same thoughts on this matter," Shroom said, to simplify things. "The FUN is an alliance dedicated wholly to the pursuit of peace and that position can be difficult in a time when neighboring nations have nuclear weapons, in a time when some have used nuclear weapons.

"Security is one of the mandates of the FUN, and thus we have to protect one another from any foreign aggression. How we'll react to another 'military adventure' depends wholly on what that adventure may be - of which there are a lot of possibilities. Any reaction must be very carefully considered."

Shroom paused and tried to get his bearings.

"Personally, I think the best protection is prevention. If we can avoid getting into any military confrontations, then that would be ideal for all alliances, all nations, and all people.

"Thus it is imperative that we should establish, or re-establish, diplomatic ties and lines of communication with the nations of the UAR.

"Call me optimistic, but I believe that such a thing is very possible. Saddamistan has sent athletes to the Canissian Olympics, and that is a very promising sign. And even during the Nuclear New Year Nightmare, Saddamistan itself did not act against the MESS forces stationed in the Southern Sea. That should count for something.

"I believe that despite what differences we may have, we all want what's best for our own people. Because of that, we must avoid any more misunderstandings in the future."
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Government of fromer Adrianopolis finishes re-organization

The Government of Adrianopolis which was thrown into chaos months ago by the decisions taken by her President is finlly finishing its re-organizaiton. Subjected to crushing naval defeat after betraying the MESS and atempting to join the UAR the government deposed the President and called for terms with the forces of the MESS. Since that time a provisional council was formed with representatives from the MESS Administrative council (principally from Wilkonia) assisting on the creation of a new governmental structure to be submitted to a plebiscite.

The Provisional Council today announced that the final re-organization into a new federated republic has been finalized along with new constitutional protections against the blatant abuses partaken by the previous executive. Concurrent with the announcement King Andreneas, in capacity as First administrator of the MESS, indicated that the country would be accepted back into the MESS though in stages only. Most notably they will be initially kept out of the progress made on the largest of the MESS-wide projects including the next generation of Air Defense systems and Naval design.

As part of the referendum and in a desire to break with the old government to reforge new ties with the world the Provisional Council announced that the new government would operate under a renamed state as the Republic of Orestias. Although the final vote won't take place until the new year opinion polling already being conducted has shown very large block of support with polling of 1,048 adults yielding 41% in favor, 29% opposed and the rest undecided. Many provisional council officials feel that the suddenness of events (stemming from the dramatic betrayl and then subsequent defeat) is affecting the undecided vote but remain confident that with a full year behind the events the majority of the populace will be eager to support the new government.

Until such time as the vote is finalized the provisional council will continue to oeprate as a government in fact under the stewardship of the MESS however henceforth they will be operating as the Republic of Orestias and not Adrianopolis.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Imperial Chronicles

A lady walked pompously to the podium. She had the look of a liberal and whatever it was, she certainly had an axe to grind. "A question has yet to be asked however. Recently, there was attacks by a cult calling themselves, the Jenova's witnesses. Now the attacks were terrifying I will admit, and then we have the attacks by members of GENITAL on other nations, such as Cannissia. But I find the response by these nations nothing short of appalling. Byzantium for example, simply rounded up members of the Jenova's witnesses and GENITAL, and have sentenced many to death. I find the death sentence intolerable. And then I hear that GENITAL members are being targeted and members of our military are shooting to kill. For nations who claim to cherish peace, this is completely uncivilised."

There was complete silence in the room, as if a powder keg had been lit.
Kreia
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

"Let me approach your points one by one..."

"First, leadership of the PAF-GENITAL has organized a terrorist operation on a scale as of yet unseen. It was co-ordinated, international and massive, using biological weapons and nerve gas. The Jenovans did not attack on such a massive scale, but also used weapons of mass destruction. As you know, PeZookian security services have arrested all known members of the Jenova's Witnesses and the GENITAL in response to these attacks.

The alternative was to wait for further attacks, without knowing where or when they would happen. None of the arrested were harmed, except for one Genovan who fired on police officers during the arrest. You should know that police in PeZookia can detain a person suspected of a crime for 48 hours without filing any charges."

The woman replied, cutting off the King. She seemed to be the most combative of all the students

"You have, essentially, arrested people for the crime of associating with a particular organization, sir. Doesn't that strike you as immoral?"

"No, not really. You are only telling part of the story - many of the arrested members of PAF-GENITAL have, indeed, received orders to carry out terror attacks at a later date, and had the necessary tools to do so. Did you really expect us to do nothing at all and watch innocent people die? Those who had nothing to do with terrorism were released, on the condition they sever their ties with the organization, which we had every reason to consider a terrorist group by now. As for the Byzantines, I believe all death sentences were handed out after lawful trials, and only for the worst offenders who actually murdered innocents. Byzantine justice is harsh, but I don't believe that criticizing it in the light of these terror attacks is fair. A murderer gets the exact same treatment in Byzantium."

"I would also like to comment on your claim that members of our military shoot to kill: nothing of the sort actually happened. Canissian paratroopers have airdropped in to rescue a hostage, which the terrorists threatened to execute. They have used surprise to attack the PAF village, but most of the occupants were, in fact, unarmed, and were not harmed. I would also like to remind you that all negotiations with the PAF have failed beforehand. Did you expect the Canissians to use harsh words to convince them to stand down? If a hostage-taker threatens a hostage's life, and a police sniper shoots him, do you also consider this act to be evil and barbaric?"

"I will let Emperor Heraclius comment on your criticism of Byzantium's justice system, but I hope you found my arguments satisfactory."

She obviously didn't, though. Fortunately, this wasn't a debate club.

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Astoria U

"While I cannot speak for the internal affairs of Byzantium, a MESS-affiliated nation," Shroom answered coolly. "I can speak for Shroomania and the actions done by my government.

"So far, we have not condemned any of our captured, detained, and imprisoned Jenovans to death. In fact, many of them were rounded up by non-lethal means - incapacitated via sonic-electronic ballbreakers."

"However, make no mistake. The Jenovan organization itself - its leaders, its hierarchy, and its most ardent followers, have declared holy war against innocent people. They have committed acts of biochemical terrorism against the people of Byzantium and Shroomanians in my own country. Everything from detonating car-bombs in crowded streets, to disseminating biochemical agents in the air, to sacrificing their own members while hoping that their corpses will contaminate the water supply of Shroomanian cities. Through these actions, they have made themselves a criminal and terrorist organization.

"They are extremely dangerous, and while a lot of us may worry about the UAR's 'military adventurism', the FUN has not been attacked by the UAR. The same cannot be said about these terrorists, as so many recent events can attest.

"They have been nothing but indiscriminate in their actions. We, however, haven't. The Shroomanian government, law-enforcement, the FIA and FBI are processing the Jenovans and GENITALs in our custody. Those found guilty of conspiring in terrorism will be imprisoned depending on the severity of their actions, while those who are not guilty will be exonerated and will be allowed to return to their normal lives."

Shroom sat down. It was Heraclius' turn to speak - and this was gonna be good.
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Imperial Chronicles

The Emperor by and large looked unruffled by the woman's haughty accusations. Looking at the woman in the eye, he spoke slowly and carefully, "My lady, thank you for your question..."

"Don't patronise me."

The Emperor smiled at the interruption, and continued, "Last I checked, some 53 people died immediately after the sarin gas attack. Some 38 people died due to complications. Hundreds are still in hospital recuperating from injuries, some which will never heal. Hundreds were affected by a hallucinatory drug. Fortunately, none died. Some 51 people died due to the car bombings. These attacks were perpetrated by some 30 or so Jenovans, some of whom died when they were confronted by a squad of Crusaders of St. John. Or rather, from my reports, they committed suicide."

"About those Crusaders, why are you letting them go scot free? Why this double standard..."

The Emperor raised his hand. "Let me finish. That much I beg of you."

"Don't..."

"My lady if you don't let me finish, how do you suppose I can possibly answer your question? Let's start with the first and most fundamental charge here. You question the harshness of Byzantine justice. Let's be clear here. We reserve the death sentence only for the worst crimes. Typically this means serial murderers, members of organized crime, such as this one, and also felons who have been involved in hideous crimes and when it is clear that no amount of psychiatric attention will remedy the problem. On the issue of piracy, our "take no prisoners" law is a product of our years of warring with the various Arab pirates, kingdoms that constantly attack our people, and typically enslave them. Such an attack on our people we will not abide. To stop these rampant attacks, we instructed our navy to simply shoot the bastards rather than take them prisoner. After all, forcing these fools to stop was a rather tedious, and sometimes impossible task."

"That does not justify the need..."

"Of course that hardly justifies our harsh laws. But bear in mind, these laws are there as a deterrent. It is not as if we did not warn our citizens repeatedly through advertisements etc. that the law is harsh. In fact, we only executed 1 person last year. This fellow was involved in some .. killing of 10 or so people. In the past it was more, back when the organised crime rings were still rampant. Too tremendous effort on the part of the police and military to crush these gangs and stop them from subverting the system."

There was silence, even from the woman.

"As for as I am concerned, Byzantine Justice is a lot mellower than it was in the past. We do not, and we rarely do, execute someone. With regard to this case, we found some 60 or so Jenova's Witnesses who were involved in the attacks. Of which 30 perpetrated them. These men and women were charged for treason against the state, and crimes against humanity for using chemical weapons. For the GENITAL members, they were charged for treason and conspiracy. Some 30 of them were found stocking up weapons in a bid to wreck havoc on Byzantine agriculture and fishery. Crimes, that every single Byzantine citizen have been reminded from young, that were punishable by death. With such warnings, we fail to see why anyone would still attempt to perpetrate these attacks, despite our utmost warnings.

These sentences serve as a warning to enemies of the Empire that we will not brook any attempt to subvert and destabilize the Empire. With regard to the Crusaders of St John, these leaders will be disciplined and dealt with. Since only a squad of them perpetrated the attacks on these Jenova's witnesses, of which only 2 remain, we will determine if these crusaders merit a death sentence or not. For that, I will personally see what they have to say to even justify their initial attacks. Bearing in mind, that many of these crusaders once served as my bodyguards and they are bound by oath to serve the Empire and to abide by the laws of the Empire."

And with that, the Emperor sat back in his chair and drank his glass of water again.
Kreia
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

PeZookian General Hospital (Security Wing)

"Seriously, I'm fine. I want to go home!" Jia said.
"I know, sweet," Arik replied, "The zepp is being prepared, and you're basically okay-- they just wanted to make sure. You were pretty dehydrated. And a lot of cuts, scrapes, bruises..." The thought of it made Arik angry.

They'd paid careful attention to the news reports-- Bear Republic and Coilerburg forces fanning through the jungles, avoiding dinosaurs... but in general, it looked like Kert Swanson's violent branch of the General Intention To Abolish Labtesting had been relegated to history's dustbin.

"How many prisoners did we get?" Jia asked.
"Over a hundred," Arik said, "Tigh's overseeing the interrogations. MOst of them were devoted to the stated cause, but not really into the whole weapons and fighting thing. That's the drawback from trying to create a guerrilla force from a organization that attracted recruits with pacifism."

"And Swanson's hard-core followers?" Jia asked.
"His real fighters were almost entirely killed," Arik said, "None of his planners survived, only a handful of the true believers that were willing to fight-- but not involved in actual planning-- survived. They're looking at long-ass prison time, mostly."

"What about that bitch, Myra Foxglove?" Jia asked.
"She actually turned out to be quite helpful," Arik said, "She was appalled at Swanson's violence; she's been one of our primary allies in identifying the problem children from the passive followers."

The news was on, and it showed the preparations for the next phase of space launch operations by FUN. Another chimp, Fajita, was being sent up. Animal-Rights protesters were there, but he could see them being led by Myra Foxglove, emphasising the non-violent nature of the protest.

"How are things at home?" Jia finally asked.
"Everyone's been asking about you," Arik said, "Siobhan stopped by with Chyou, but you were out of it. The rest of the news is all state stuff-- civil defense, lasers, space robots... the usual crapola," he said with a smile...
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Astoria U

The economics dean took the microphone and thanked everybody for attending. There were dozens of questions after Heraclius answered the combative student - ranging from significant through inane to stupid.

The experience was withering, but satisfactory. More often than not, the questions were inquisitive and touched upon significant problems.

The national leaders got up to applause of most students in the auditorium. The economics dean shook their hands.

"Professor, if I may take a second", Paul asked when he approached, "I just received word president Shinra will be arriving in PeZookia shortly...if the Emperor doesn't mind, I'd like to postpone his debate untill tomorrow."

Paul turned to the Emperor and the Prime Minister, "I'm sorry for this change of plans, but I'd really like to visit the hospital today, meet the wounded and see Arik. Rufus will be there, too - he's coming to see my head of protocol amongst other things.", Paul smiled knowingly, "And it's a great opportunity to hold an informal summit of sorts over dinner at the palace. What do you say?"

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Astoria U

"I'd like to meet Arik and Miss Jia too," Shroom said meekly. "And Rufus is coming? That's totally cool. It'd be the first time we'd get to meet, outside of Atlantis."

As they went outside with the university staff, who they chattered away cordially while thanking each other for visiting or for allowing 'em to visit and whatnot and so on, they eventually went over to Astoria U's pleasant courtyard. Beyond that were their Imperial, Royal and Prime Ministerial vehicles and their respective security convoys - basically filling up the U's parking lot.

"We're totally gonna fill up the Hospital if we end up riding in like this," Shroom observed.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Shroom Man 777 wrote: "We're totally gonna fill up the Hospital if we end up riding in like this," Shroom observed.
"The hospital had security pre-arranged. The convoys can stay outside, so it'll be just the three of us and a couple of bodyguards.", Paul remarked.

"Yeah, Rufus is coming. I just got word his airplane is circling over Astoria International, waiting for the runway to clear. I really have to look into expanding that place..."

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Imperial Chronicles

"You know, such debates are refreshing. Unfortunately, day to day business of government is hectic, especially when I man two ministries," the Emperor said as he rode the car with Calisto and the Empress Lycra.

"Well, highness, I thought you handled those questions well, especially the challenge towards our justice system. I can imagine the law minister would be sighing in relief that he didn't have to contend with journalists smelling blood."

"Indeed. An Rufus and Arik are going to join us for dinner. This will certainly be an interesting chit chat."

"Indeed sire. The wheels of diplomacy continue to turn."

"And I hope Arik and his consort are alright," said the Empress. "It must have been terrible, nay, traumatic for her. Those dreadful creatures."

"Indeed, Highness. Don't worry. The Varangian Guards are sworn to die for you before something like that happens."

"It's a pity I didn't bring a get-well gift for her," sighed the Empress.

"Well, lots of things happened over the last few days. Too much excitement in my opinion," grumbled the Emperor. And then there was the matter of the Crusaders. He sighed again. Lots to do.
Kreia
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

FRAK news

Minas Morgûl:
Desert testing began today on project "Scorched Earth" a capacitor driven self propelled gausssian artillery platform. The testbed named "Mother of All Games" rolled out of it's hanger today to launch tracer/smoke rounds, and to determine range and refire rates depending on percentage of capacitors discharged. Other FUN delegates were not present as they politely canceled.

pictures will follow as soon as someone declassifies them.

in addition to military use, The BR announced today that it will have large quanities of commercial building space available for transport airships, and transport aircraft for civilian use. in addition to repair and rebuilding the republic's merchant marine, the republic has announced it's intention for building it's first power projection platform, a helocarrier.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

Shady News

Black Hand in Zablania

God Emperor Shady has sent the Black Hand under the command of Commissar Haris to Zablania. Their mission is to capture a live T-Rex and bring it back alive. The Black Hand will arrive there in two ways , delivered by the "Caesar I" and dropped in by An-26 aircraft.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Astoria International Airport, Military Terminal

President Shinra glanced around as he deplaned at the terminal around him, and thought to himself that you could barely tell a vicious battle had been fought here less than a year ago. Sure there was new paint and it looked much more "fresh" than one would normally expect of a busy terminal, but that was easily put down to a recent renovation job or just painstaking maintenance work. Certainly not a repair job after a pitched battle against an entrenched enemy.

He hadn't gotten too far when he came across Agent Seng of the SIS. He greeted the agent warmly, and smiled. "So I heard you saw some action?"

"Yes Mister President. I was a part of the Canissian raid against Eden, as an observer." Agent Seng relayed his part in the operation as they walked down the corridor, in a matter-of-fact tone. Just another day on the job as an agent with the Special Intelligence Section.

When they entered the car that would take them to the hospital, the President inquired as to how the investigation was going.

"I left two of my people in Canissia working with the authorities there, sir. Another two agents are in Zablania, liasing with the Coilerberg forces to see that non-combatants are safely extradited to their home countries. Of course they were also told to keep a subtle eye on just what, exactly, the Coilerberg military is really doing during this 'occupation' of theirs. Finally myself and another agent accompanied King Arik and his troops here aboard the PeZookian helicopters. That agent is still with Miss Jia and the King, as part of the security detail."

Agent Seng paused briefly, and continued on:

"As far as we can tell, the PAF-GENITAL was largely dismantled, both from the raid on Eden and during various sweeps by law enforcement agencies across the world. They don't appear to be linked in any way with this 'SERPENT' organization, or at least, not on purpose. Though it is possible they unknowingly received assistance from the group. I've heard that the PeZookians are holding a member of SERPENT, and with your permission Mister President I would like to see if I can liase with the RIS in their investigation."

President Shinra thought it over. Agent Seng's original mandate had been to investigate the kidnapping of Jia, and track down information regarding the terrorists of the PAF-GENITAL. That he had pretty much accomplished. But as long as he was here... "I'll bring it up to King Paul when I get the chance. If he approves, then you're a go."

"Thank you, Mister President." As the motorcade arrived at the hospital, both President Shinra and Agent Seng got out and went inside. President Shinra's goal was to see Jia and King Arik; Agent Seng left to find his fellow agent and assume a watchful guard over his President, in addition to the Shinra Republic security people and all of the PeZookian police protecting the hospital. King Paul, Prime Minister Shroom, and Emperor Heraclius were even now on their way from the university.

It was about to get very, very busy for all the personnel responsible for the security of the hospital and the surrounding areas. Five national leaders in one place had that effect.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight