SD.net's World OOC/Discussion thread MK III

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

MKSheppard wrote:So um mangs, when do we get the convoy thing resolved?
Well I've been waiting on a PM, but screw it. The plan is, we let you guys land and offload. You sail on in, thinking we've blinked and you won.

Unbeknownst to the Shepnukistani government, a secret deal was struck between the MESS and Alexander: since he's unable to properly use all those tanks and IFVs at once, he's turning a certain amount of them over to the MESS for a certain amount of time. Whatever the "certain amount" of equipment is is what I was waiting on a response for.

But I figure we can have the broad strokes down now and worry about numbers later. Happy landings, Shep! :D
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

OAN:I'm placing another order with ISCA again, another 120 FCS Large, same as before to be produced this year. I'm going to write a piece soon noting the widespread corruption and note the fact my country's shipbuilding abilites are mostly shit and the 180 I had planned to build.. well only about 34 have been constructed and most of the remaining are over-budget and over eight months delayed.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

NEVERHOOD DESCRIPTION

It has come to my attention that we need more detail on The Neverhood. I don't have an art program for any of my computers (home desktop, laptop, work desktop) but I will order one in a couple weeks, ideally for my webcomic but also usable for this.

I have a pretty clear idea of how I imagine the Neverhood, so I'll describe what I can.

The Western side of Neverhood is mountainous and rocky, with dramatic coastal cliffs and highways that hug the shore, sometimes with bridges that offer beautiful vistas. A major rail network runs along the coast, also, making it an excellent trade spine in times of peace. This is largely shut down now due to the patchwork of militias blocking the routes (both rail and road), and the only way to get by unmolested (so far) is boat or air.

Port New Hadera: Biggest port; Secured by Canissian Royal Marines and Haderan Civil Council. Hadera is angling to be the capitol of the West Neverhood Republic, supposing they survive the current crisis. A little over 1 million people live in Hadera, making it crowded.

Port Eilatia: Modest sized port; commercial, some military boats. 35 miles north of Hadera, the same land area as Hadera but half the population. Blocked by "The Farmers and Worker's Collective" along the narrow coast highways, the Shinra Republic's 9th Air Assault has set up shop here.

Eshkelon Bay: Modest sized port; commercial, some police boats. A semi-depressed industrial town another 28 miles north of Eilatia, Eshkelon Bay was having trouble even before the civil war. So far there has been no real violence, but drug use, alcoholism, and other vices are rampant. IT is a depressing city of about 100,000.

New Haifa: Small port; mostly civilian pleasure ships. This town of about 30,000 is really a suburb of Eshekelon Bay, just a mile and a half to the south. It was the 'better side of town' where the white-collar types live, and now it is a well-policed, clean, almost Potemkin village of plastic 'everythings fine' denial.

West Jaffa: Small port; civilian owned pleasure boats and fishing boats. This small, tight-knit community of about 200,000 is the northernmost city of the West Neverhood coast, about fifty miles north of New Haifa. Surrounded by some wide, flat alluvial plains (the mountain range curves sharp east), it is tucked away in a thick Alpine forest and so far has been little touched by the conflict. In fact, there's some clandestine trading and black-marketeering going on with unofficial elements of the East Neverhood going on, a point of entry for a handful of spies and saboteurs.

Most of the West Neverhoodniks were glad to be off the beaten path of regular Neverhood politics and society. They didn't mind OMSK but didn't care much for Shepnukistan. They were willing to put up with Shepnukistan overlords (which the East Neverhoodniks supported more popularly) so long as they got OMSK advantages from it (economy, industry, etc). After the dissolution of OMSK, though, they formed the hard core of pro-independence and pro-MESS (and a small movement of pro-FUN) activisism.

Most of the early anti-OMSK protesters came from West Neverhood provinces; when pro-Shepnukistan East Neverhood politicos and generals took over and had some of the protesters and troublemakers arrested, resentment turned away from a anti-OMSK stance and into a specific anti-Nukistan stance.

These 102 "Original Prisoners" were seen as ideological martyrs, put in gulags in swampy crapholes between the mountain ranges and the nuke testing sites. Now, in the revolution, they've been freed to form the core of a resistance cadre for various militias.

Some of these include:
RUF: Revolutionary United Front
NVA: Neverhood Victory Army
FAWC: Farmer's And Worker's Collective
PFLN: Popular Front for the Liberation of Neverhood
SWINE: Students Wildly Indignant 'bout Nearly Everything
--and others.

The East contains more of the farmland, and easier terreain; the West contains little arable land but has a lot of the mineral resources.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

RogueIce wrote:
MKSheppard wrote:So um mangs, when do we get the convoy thing resolved?
Well I've been waiting on a PM, but screw it. The plan is, we let you guys land and offload. You sail on in, thinking we've blinked and you won.

Unbeknownst to the Shepnukistani government, a secret deal was struck between the MESS and Alexander: since he's unable to properly use all those tanks and IFVs at once, he's turning a certain amount of them over to the MESS for a certain amount of time. Whatever the "certain amount" of equipment is is what I was waiting on a response for.

But I figure we can have the broad strokes down now and worry about numbers later. Happy landings, Shep! :D
I'm thinking of calling this...

Operation RickRoll'ed

:mrgreen:
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

RogueIce wrote:I'm thinking of calling this...

Operation RickRoll'ed

:mrgreen:
Not really. What did you think? That you were gonna get 6,000 AFVs to "hold" :D

The original plan was to deliver around

250 x MBTs
500 x IFVs

each to both sides (Diocese, and Alexandria).

When the diocese plan fell apart, 750 vehicles became surplus; and Raj contacted me on May 25, at 8:44 PM via a PM to tell me:
Frankly the number of vehicles you are sending our beyond our current needs and capability to operate anyway. Just hold onto half of AFV's for later delivery, and send the rest in as planned.
So all that surplus is too expensive to dump in the ocean as reefs off Libertopia, yet too expensive to ship back home. So we'll put it into Saddamistan as a multiple brigade reserve set. :D

RICKROLL DEFEATED 8)
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Small note I've generally stated from the beginning that I was investing massively in my shipbuilding capacity. Looking over my appropriations figures through three years I am seeing roughly $1Bn (out of total procurement/research outlays totaling roughly $140Bn) that would have been spent on increased capacity. For a base capacity of 1200k DWT/yr as an L4 his would then translate into 1700kDWT/yr as my currnet capacity. Shorting that a little bit assuming cost over-runs, project shortfall and such I'm going to assume I would have roughly 1600kDWT/yr as my current capacity with continuing investments of several hundred million per year planned through 2020 (as part of the MESS project I will be announcing IC and have already hinted at previously). Final capacity is targeted for 2500kDWT/yr which will require roughly $250 million per year over the next 9 years (again cost overruns are projected, I'm basically planning for 2.5mil/1kDWT).
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Ok Notes
For Sale!
One Ticonderoga Heavy Cruiser (650 Million, Now on sale only 625 Million!)
Two Arleigh Burke Destroyer (425 million, Now on Sale for 400 Million, 700 Million for both)
Ten Halifax Frigates (70 Million, now on sale for 60 million each, five for 200 million all ten for 350 million)

On my military downsizing
I've gotten out of the power projection business so I'm preforming a massive downsize. Rather than world leader I'm aiming now for Trading Empire with a dash of Switzerland, complete with elite Swiss Guard(Gurkha's) and soon I'm going to start offering around to see who I can get my down-sized military to train with to increase their standard of training.

In short I'm aiming for a 40% downsizing, taking 30% of that and investing it back into the civilian economy, and 10% of that and devoting it to training budgets. I'm aiming for as much as ten billion dollars in training, more than the US Army's entire training budget even today for half as many people.

Training, Training, Training, a happy solider is a training soldier.

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Mr Bean wrote:Ok Notes
For Sale!
Two Arleigh Burke Destroyer (425 million, Now on Sale for 400 Million, 700 Million for both)
Ten Halifax Frigates (70 Million, now on sale for 60 million each, five for 200 million all ten for 350 million)

On my military downsizing
I've gotten out of the power projection business so I'm preforming a massive downsize. Rather than world leader I'm aiming now for Trading Empire with a dash of Switzerland, complete with elite Swiss Guard(Gurkha's) and soon I'm going to start offering around to see who I can get my down-sized military to train with to increase their standard of training.

In short I'm aiming for a 40% downsizing, taking 30% of that and investing it back into the civilian economy, and 10% of that and devoting it to training budgets. I'm aiming for as much as ten billion dollars in training, more than the US Army's entire training budget even today for half as many people.

Training, Training, Training, a happy solider is a training soldier.
So is my acquisition of the carrier confirmed?
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:
Forgot that.

As of now, FUN and you are in a bidding war, your bid of 4.5 billion and one dollar stands and the FUN has yet to beat it. Should they fail to do so in the next twenty four(real) hours the carrier is yours.

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Mr Bean wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:
Forgot that.

As of now, FUN and you are in a bidding war, your bid of 4.5 billion and one dollar stands and the FUN has yet to beat it. Should they fail to do so in the next twenty four(real) hours the carrier is yours.
Just to be certain, I'm willing to up it by up to .5 billion (i.e. 5 billion) if they attempt to match it.
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Vohu Manah
Jedi Knight

Post by Vohu Manah »

For Sale!
Did you get my request for upto 5 more Frigates?
There are two kinds of people in the world: the kind who think it’s perfectly reasonable to strip-search a 13-year-old girl suspected of bringing ibuprofen to school, and the kind who think those people should be kept as far away from children as possible … Sometimes it’s hard to tell the difference between drug warriors and child molesters.” - Jacob Sullum[/size][/align]
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Their needs to be more information on Libertopia in the reference Fred.

Besides, the Southern Libertopian Nation is at this point in all likelyhood massively crippled by the Tsunami.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

so intent on his proxy war, he ignores the ulcer in his arse.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Vohu Manah wrote:
For Sale!
I did not, I thought that was the original request for the five frigates from the first ten I sold to you and the Duchy.

Ok make that five for 200 million for you, five left to sell

Decue
Padawan Learner

Post by Decue »

So, will the FUN-conference continue now when everything has calmed down?
The Yosemite Bear

BTW any suggestions I can't remember what hair colour Senator Kelly has, then again considering how little the Bear Republic's resident enviornut senator wears it's kinda easy to forget details like this. Nor can I figure out what her first name is...

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Decue
Padawan Learner

Post by Decue »

Oh yes, I also belive there is a summer olympics coming up.
Vohu Manah
Jedi Knight

Post by Vohu Manah »

Mr Bean wrote:
Vohu Manah wrote:
For Sale!
I did not, I thought that was the original request for the five frigates from the first ten I sold to you and the Duchy.

Ok make that five for 200 million for you, five left to sell
I got 4 of the original 10 (Duchy got six), and I had requested five more. Pleasure doing business with you.
There are two kinds of people in the world: the kind who think it’s perfectly reasonable to strip-search a 13-year-old girl suspected of bringing ibuprofen to school, and the kind who think those people should be kept as far away from children as possible … Sometimes it’s hard to tell the difference between drug warriors and child molesters.” - Jacob Sullum[/size][/align]
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Production problems. This also gives the rest of you time to evaluate the Tejas for your needs.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

The FUN is willing to bid 5.5 billion for that Nimitz.

(am I rite guys?)

And Bean, maaaang! That is a HUEG order for the ISCA! Thanks, mang :D
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Shroom Man 777 wrote:The FUN is willing to bid 5.5 billion for that Nimitz.

(am I rite guys?)

And Bean, maaaang! That is a HUEG order for the ISCA! Thanks, mang :D
The hell you are.

6 damn billion for it.
Kreia
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Wait, how much is one of these things? Wiki says 4.5 billion for one of these carriers. Even with inflation, wouldn't it cost at most 6 billion?

I'm not going to overpay for something I could build at my own yards.
Kreia
The Yosemite Bear

because it takes years to build one.

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Wait, how much is one of these things? Wiki says 4.5 billion for one of these carriers. Even with inflation, wouldn't it cost at most 6 billion?

Wiki is wrong(As norma), The USS Ronald Regan cost 9.8 billion to construction. If you build ten you can get the cost down, or if you used 1970's not adjusted for inflation numbers you can get 4.5 billion.

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Mr Bean wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Wait, how much is one of these things? Wiki says 4.5 billion for one of these carriers. Even with inflation, wouldn't it cost at most 6 billion?

Wiki is wrong(As norma), The USS Ronald Regan cost 9.8 billion to construction. If you build ten you can get the cost down, or if you used 1970's not adjusted for inflation numbers you can get 4.5 billion.
Ah. In that case, I'm still bidding for the thing.
Kreia