SD.net's World OOC/Discussion thread MK III

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

phongn wrote:You need nuclear deterrence, to be blunt.
We don't WANT nuclear deterrence! I do not want Shepnukistani and Saddamistani madmangs in their bunkers with maps and buttons maneuvering miniature nuclear rockets over a map of FUN nations!

Man, why hate us? :cry: We just want to sell stuff, and occasionally demonstrate the skill of our scientific-industrial complex. We even sold you aircraft (of which not all have presumably been delivered). Offered missiles to defend your country!
Shroomania has a competent military-industrial complex. We can make our own mods to our F-14s from what you've given us. Also, we only asked for you to upgrade a carrier-load of F-14s, anyway. A couple dozen F-14s shouldn't be that much :D
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Stas Bush wrote:You smuggled a nuclear device, undeclared, and exploded it in the Central Sea. That's a possible course of nuclear terrorism. Just like me hiding nukes into storage can be construed as "preparing for nuclear war". Two can play at this game. Besides, exploding a smuggled nuke is certainly more threatening than hiding them.
I hardly consider it "smuggling," though it was rather showy, I concede. And I'd hope people here are competent enough to be inspecting traffic to radiological signatures for ships approaching their ports. Smuggling nukes is a loser's game.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Smuggling nukes is a loser's game.
Not if it's a nuclear-tipped torpedo, or a hidden battery of cruise missiles. Otherwise, what good are your nukes at all without means of delivery, as you say? If they are worthless as deterrent, that's just stupid.
I do not want Shepnukistani and Saddamistani madmangs in their bunkers with maps and buttons maneuvering miniature nuclear rockets over a map of FUN nations!
Yeah actually. That's why I moved my nuclear warheads into reserve. I don't want them to have us on the radar.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:We don't WANT nuclear deterrence! I do not want Shepnukistani and Saddamistani madmangs in their bunkers with maps and buttons maneuvering miniature nuclear rockets over a map of FUN nations!
I am certain the the UAR has targeteered every nation on the planet so far and has a whole host of war options. That's just prudent planning. Should a FUN-UAR war start, do you seriously think your lack of weapons are going to stop them from plastering you with SRAMs?
Shroomania has a competent military-industrial complex. We can make our own mods to our F-14s from what you've given us. Also, we only asked for you to upgrade a carrier-load of F-14s, anyway. A couple dozen F-14s shouldn't be that much :D
Sure, but you don't have the engines or the radar or the rest of the updated avionics, IIRC. Be a lot of work, really.
Stas Bush wrote:Not if it's a nuclear-tipped torpedo, or a hidden battery of cruise missiles. Otherwise, what good are your nukes at all without means of delivery, as you say? If they are worthless as deterrent, that's just stupid.
Patience, young padawan, the delivery systems are coming. Just ... they're not really directed at that region and they aren't available yet. For the moment my navy doesn't actually have anything in the way of real land-attack capability.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

I'm so confused about the ship building... math seriously hurts my brain.
Each of these levels has different GDP, navy and shipbuilding capacity. When comparing with real-world countries, we'll use a baseline of Spain which can produce about 450 thousand DWT of merchant ships annually.

This is what we can expect a Kingdom to make. For ISCA I used the following baselines:

L1: 60-100 DWT yearly
L2: 120-180 DWT yearly
L3: 500-600 DWT yearly
L4: 1000-1200 DWT yearly
L5: 1800-2000 DWT yearly

Now, my Tsardom is almost exactly like Spain, in size, population, etc. So on one hand I see I can make up to 450,000 DWTs a year; and on the scale we have here I see I can make, at max, 1,200 DWT.

I've been wanting to make minesweepers, supply ships, fast-attack corvettes, as well as civilian ships for ISCA but I really have no idea what my capacity is. For example, the Anuket-class TLAM corvette 560 tons displacement (stats from the Russian Nanuchka-class corvette, my vaersion is basically a "NATO-ized" version with better engines) --I assume that to be total displacement, since I understand that the stats on our SDN-provided scale is for cargo displacement.

So... if I'm trying to build Anuket-class corvettes, at 560 tons total displacement apiece, what's the formula for figuring that into my yearly build capability, listed at 1200 DWT max?

If you can walk me through it once, I'll typically "get it" and can do the figures for all my other stuff, but I need to be babied through it the first time... :wink:
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

phongn wrote:
Sure, but you don't have the engines or the radar or the rest of the updated avionics, IIRC. Be a lot of work, really.
Hrm... I only have 24 F-14s. You sure you weren't able to upgrade them all in time?
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Hrm... I only have 24 F-14s. You sure you weren't able to upgrade them all in time?
RogueIce had orders as did my own air self-defense force. I figure you probably got half done.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

I think the big difference here is this: on one hand, MAD would have worked, but here, we all know it wouldn't. Shep would happily nuke the lot of us, in exchange for his nation pulverised to glass.

That's probably the scariest part.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Yet I haven't done it yet. :P Blows your mind huh? :lol:
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

MKSheppard wrote:Yet I haven't done it yet. :P Blows your mind huh? :lol:
I think this comes under the category of "playing with your prey".
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

If we let it bog down in "the forever standoff" it'll die. Let's be more open and make it a more collaborative storyline rather than a series of attempts to endlessly one-up and surprise.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
General Deathdealer
Padawan Learner
Location: In a Thunderhawk enroute to the Blood Angels Battle Barge

Post by General Deathdealer »

Coyote wrote:I'm so confused about the ship building... math seriously hurts my brain.
Each of these levels has different GDP, navy and shipbuilding capacity. When comparing with real-world countries, we'll use a baseline of Spain which can produce about 450 thousand DWT of merchant ships annually.

This is what we can expect a Kingdom to make. For ISCA I used the following baselines:

L1: 60-100 DWT yearly
L2: 120-180 DWT yearly
L3: 500-600 DWT yearly
L4: 1000-1200 DWT yearly
L5: 1800-2000 DWT yearly

Now, my Tsardom is almost exactly like Spain, in size, population, etc. So on one hand I see I can make up to 450,000 DWTs a year; and on the scale we have here I see I can make, at max, 1,200 DWT.

I've been wanting to make minesweepers, supply ships, fast-attack corvettes, as well as civilian ships for ISCA but I really have no idea what my capacity is. For example, the Anuket-class TLAM corvette 560 tons displacement (stats from the Russian Nanuchka-class corvette, my vaersion is basically a "NATO-ized" version with better engines) --I assume that to be total displacement, since I understand that the stats on our SDN-provided scale is for cargo displacement.

So... if I'm trying to build Anuket-class corvettes, at 560 tons total displacement apiece, what's the formula for figuring that into my yearly build capability, listed at 1200 DWT max?

If you can walk me through it once, I'll typically "get it" and can do the figures for all my other stuff, but I need to be babied through it the first time... :wink:

560 Ton Military Ship x 5 (to get DWT for a military ship) = 2800DWT needed to build the ship in 1 year.
Also multiply your max capacity by 1000. The numbers on the chart are by thousands of DWT.

Pazook - am I right or wrong on this one?

I did not realize how big I was modernizing my main docks 2 years ago when I upgraded for $1B. I have a big ass shipyard now I guess.

EDIT: I fucked up the calculations and had to go back and read it again myself.

EDIT2: Are RO-RO ships used to transport military equipment classified as a military ship (X5 for DWT) or a normal ship (X1.5 for DWT)?
"Don't fuck with The Mess. Unless you've been there, done that, and have the t-shirt, shut your cakehole." - Me
"By the Blood of Sanguinius" - Blood Angels Battlecry
"The enemies of the Emperor fear many things. They fear discovery, defeat, despair and death. Yet there is one thing they fear above all others. They fear the wrath of the Space Marines." - Anonymous
"This can't be good" - Sherriff Jack Carter
General Deathdealer
Padawan Learner

Another question on the DWT thing. If I want to build a ship quicker than in 1 year, do I just multiply the DWT by how much quicker I want it? For example if I want to build a ship in 6 months instead of 1 year, would I multiply the DWT by 2?
"Don't fuck with The Mess. Unless you've been there, done that, and have the t-shirt, shut your cakehole." - Me
"The enemies of the Emperor fear many things. They fear discovery, defeat, despair and death. Yet there is one thing they fear above all others. They fear the wrath of the Space Marines." - Anonymous
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Pazook - am I right or wrong on this one?

I did not realize how big I was modernizing my main docks 2 years ago when I upgraded for $1B. I have a big ass shipyard now I guess.
Yeah, I forgot to add the "1200 thousand DWT".

SO an Anuket-class displaces 560 tons, you multiply by 1.5 and then by 5.

This gets you around 4200, which is actually 4.2 thousand, so you are left with 1195.8 thousand DWT. THe benefit of using small corvettes, I guess is that you can spam them in large numbers.

For a ro-ro ship I have no idea. I'd guess displacement times 1.5, since it's a specialized ship with more moving parts than a simple bulker (for simple ships like the fcs, DWT to build is actually a bit less than displacement, for complicated stuff like helicopter tenders or ro-ros it should be a bit higher)

This guide is really a work in progress...I'm guessing we'll hammer everything out him v.5 or 6 :D

The expansion sums look pretty low, to be honest, though it still takes a lot of time to build them up to the point where you can expect to construct aircraft carriers and the like.

Then again, if we wanted realism, I would need to build functions and complicated equations to properly model the total capacity, building times and ship sizes :D
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
General Deathdealer
Padawan Learner

I don't expect to be building carriers. But since I paid $1B into it that would increase the size of my shipyard by 500000DWT per year, right? When I put in what ships I can produce I put a size limit on them as well. I said I could only build ships as big as a Ticonderoga class for military ships, and Aframax sized for civilian ships.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

General Deathdealer wrote:I don't expect to be building carriers. But since I paid $1B into it that would increase the size of my shipyard by 500000DWT per year, right? When I put in what ships I can produce I put a size limit on them as well. I said I could only build ships as big as a Ticonderoga class for military ships, and Aframax sized for civilian ships.
Well, we could say your capacity for size is a function on the DWT level of your shipyards. BUt i'll have to think about it.

CUrrently, building a CVN will require a bit more than 1 million DWT capacity.

I'll write more on the topic later. I have to go right now :)
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Everyone! Buy my guns!
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Coyote wrote:If we let it bog down in "the forever standoff" it'll die. Let's be more open and make it a more collaborative storyline rather than a series of attempts to endlessly one-up and surprise.
Ok, while I am a mostly idle particapant in this grand adventur.. I have to echo something on this... We have to remmeber that in OT, we were basically given a paradise, a nation of people loyal to us all bowing at our knees ready to do our bidding. We got a temperat world with more resources then we could ever need and a abundances of riches.

In a way its a bit of experiment. Do we, even in a iddlic setting still revert back to squabbling and fighting?

The moment Nukes were brought into this game it started a clock ticking. While nothing has happend...YET, it makes me highly nervious how long people will continue to posure before someones itchy trigger finger at last goes off.

Maybe something new needs to be added? Something perhaps to bring us a bot together so we don't eventually nuke each other.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:In a way its a bit of experiment. Do we, even in a idyllic setting still revert back to squabbling and fighting?
We have major conflicts of ideology and flashpoints over destabilized regions that have interests to major players. Of course there's going to be conflict! It's frankly wishful thinking to believe otherwise. Humanity is not a nice species.
The moment Nukes were brought into this game it started a clock ticking. While nothing has happened...YET, it makes me highly nervous how long people will continue to posture before someones itchy trigger finger at last goes off.
Now we see how nuclear game theory works when people technically don't have anything to lose.
Maybe something new needs to be added? Something perhaps to bring us a bot together so we don't eventually nuke each other.
... and we'll promptly fall apart once this new threat is dealt with.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

phongn wrote:Now we see how nuclear game theory works when people technically don't have anything to lose.
Would you like to play a game?
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

MKSheppard wrote:
phongn wrote:Now we see how nuclear game theory works when people technically don't have anything to lose.
Would you like to play a game?
A game called...Thermonuclear War?

Shep, if you haven't seen War Games, do so now.
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Master_Baerne wrote:Shep, if you haven't seen War Games, do so now.
USSR FIRST STRIKE
US FIRST STRIKE
NATO/WARSAW PACT
FAR EAST STRATEGY
US/USSR ESCALATION
MIDDLE EAST WAR
USSR CHINA ATTACK
INDIA PAKISTAN WAR
MEDITERRANEAN WAR
HONG KONG VARIANT
SEATO DECAPITATING
CUBAN PROVOCATION
ATLANTIC HEAVY
CUBAN PARAMILITARY
NICARAGUAN PREEMPTIVE
PACIFIC TUTORIAL
BURMESE THEATERWIDE
TURKISH DECOY
NATO ALLIANCE *
ARGENTINA ESCALATION
ICELAND MAXIMUM

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Has Sheppard seen War Games, ahah... ahahh. ahhh

That's funny

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Posted my ISCA orders for the year, and updated my OOB with my presently planned end-goal for the Shinra Republic Merchant Marine (SRMM).

Now, as you can see, the vast majority of it is still in the orange "planning" phase. With some l33t MS Excel skillz, I have it figured as around $12.5 billion USD for the eventual construction costs of the whole shebang, with some 255 commerce ships of varying types and 345 Patrol/Escort types. Assuming, of course, my plans don't change.

As of now, most of it is going to be in the hands of the government. Still, some privatization could well occur as the fleet gets larger and larger, though the hospital and patrol/escort ships would remain government vessels (as well as probably the Nuclear Commerce Ships). Keeping my budget from totally breaking as my merchant fleet expands. :)

And yes, I decided to put the FCS helicopter tenders in a patrol/escort role. I figure they're most suited for that anyway, as the el-cheapo UNREP ships for my P/E unit.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

So um mangs, when do we get the convoy thing resolved?