Let's Play Oregon Trail. (Image Heavy, UPDATE 6/5/08)

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Joviwan
Jedi Knight

Post by Joviwan »

FORD!
Drooling Iguana: No, John. You are the liberals.
Phantasee: So extortion is cooler and it promotes job creation!
Ford Prefect: Maybe there can be a twist ending where Vlad shows up for the one on one duel, only to discover that Sun Tzu ignored it and burnt all his crops.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Ford.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Ford it, it's only two feet deep!
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

3ft and under its Ford time, 3-4 feet is dicey, 4 ft or more is caulk or ferry. So anyway FORD.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

FERRY!

I mean, FORD! Prefect.
XXXI
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Ford. This is probably gonna be the easiest river on the journey.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles del Río de Porciúncula

Post by Instant Sunrise »

The Fording was uneventful, as usual. Mike Wong was seriously wondering what all the fuss was about crossing the river. If the whole trail was like this, well, he was beginning to regret buying a life insurance policy for his family back in Boston, but that was neither here nor there. The trail was ahead of him, and at this rate he would be in Oregon by Christmas.

Fort Kearney was the next stop on the road to Oregon, and there was no was that anything could go wrong now. Mike looked at the food supplies, We're already a third of the way through our food. I'm going to have to hunt for some more or buy more pretty soon.

Removing his hat, Mike Wong knelt down off the wagon and inspected the hastily made grave in front of him. A grim reminder of the harshness of trail life.

Too puzzled for words at what the epitaph could possibly mean, Mike Wong quickly paid his respects, stumbled back to the wagon and started moving.

With everybody so quiet and somber, the entire party just continued on autopilot, nobody really paying attention to where they were going. Everybody was just going forward. After 3 days, Wayne Poe, noticed that something was wrong. the flagpole that held the colors of Fort Kearney was nowhere to be seen, when they should have been less that twenty miles away. It had happened again, with everybody pondering Andy's fate, the wagon had followed the wrong trail. Losing another five days.

However, they had made it to Fort Kearney, and it was time for a well deserved good night's sleep. The trail would await them in the morning.

Okay, while we are at the Fort, should we buy more supplies, or trade with the locals? Or change our pace and rations for the rest of the the journey.
Last edited by Instant Sunrise on 2008-04-14 09:01pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hi, I'm Liz.
SoS: NBA | GALE Force
Twitter
Tumblr
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Glorious! :D
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Top off the ammo, buy a bit of food, replace anything lost.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

Increase the pace. While Oregon is the land of Milk and Honey, we'll need to build housing once we get there. And Mike is no carpenter.

Don't buy anything or trade.
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

Buy some food and start booking it to Oregon. I'm tired of this bullshit pace, hurry the fuck up!
XXXI
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Phantasee wrote:Buy some food and start booking it to Oregon. I'm tired of this bullshit pace, hurry the fuck up!
You buy Food?
Ahahah
Seriously that's what the guns and bullets are for, you don't ever need to buy food, go hunting once a week to top off food supplies. This is the Oregen Trail gods'darn it. There's 400 hundred pound meaty buffalo and beers everywhere!

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Except in the desert, where all you have to hunt are rabbits.
Soontir C'boath
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Indeed, there's 235 pounds of food in reserve. Start hunting!
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Hawkwings wrote:Except in the desert, where all you have to hunt are rabbits.
Buffalo are in the desert to, they just don't come to far from the edge of the screen so you have to use the patented "Death Blossom" hunting style to catch one.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles del Río de Porciúncula

Refreshed after a good nights sleep at For Kearney, Our intrepid party set out for Chimney Rock. It was some distance away, but that ground would be covered in no time! They were determined to get to Oregon.

With food supplies reaching a new low, and most everybody sick of Wild Fruit, The decision was made to hunt for more food. After several unsuccessful attempts at hunting for food, Mike Wong, a banker who had never touched a firearm in his life before managed to down a buffalo, a deer and a rabbit.

Totalling over 900 pounds of fresh meat. However, the rest of the party was far to squeamish to handle moving dead animal corpses to the wagon, and only 100 pounds of meat was brought back.

It was June now, summer, the hot sun had withered the grass to nothing. Without the grass, the oxen couldn't eat, and they too began to whither under the warm weather.

The water was drying up and not a drop could be spared. Still everybody pressed on and soon they had arrived at Chimney Rock.

The hot sun had caused the meager amounts of rabbit meat that nobody wanted to touch to go rancid. However, nobody was aware that the rabbit's meat had spoiled. On a dare, Dalton had eaten the rabbit meat in a single sitting.

That night, while everybody was asleep in the wagon, Dalton was shot awake with an odd feeling in his gut. Recognizing what was wrong, he raced out of the wagon, clenching his asshole shut with all the force in the world. Not 10 feet away from the wagon, the pressure was too much and he dropped his trousers and evacuated his bowels within 10 seconds.

In Dalton's frantic rush out of the wagon, he had pushed Uraniun out of his was. Unfortunately, Uraniun was balanced on the rear edge of the wagon, repairing the canvas covering. Dalton's mad dash cause Uraniun to lose his balance and fall, face-first toward the ground. Guided by instinct, Uraniun put out his hands to brace the fall. However, he fell with enough force that his arm broke instantly upon impact.

As if to add insult to injury, the commotion had caused Mike Wong to lose the trail and start forging a new one. The only problem was, it was in the exact opposite direction of Fort Laramie. Many harsh words were had at the expense of the oxen-driver over that. They were only five miles from Fort Laramie what they got lost.

After a short 4 days to get back on the trail, they had arrived at Fort Laramie in one piece.

After consulting the map and taking an inventory of the supplies, the food situation was worse than ever.

Hi, I'm Liz.
Twitter
Tumblr
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Here's how you hunt: kill a couple buffalo, or enough other stuff to get to the max weight carryable, then you go back, then you immediately hunt again, and repeat until full.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Son of a bitch!
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Phantasee

Post by Phantasee »

Dalton wrote:Son of a bitch!
It's cool man, it happens.

Let's do what Hawkwings said. Tomorrow we hunt and hunt, until we can't hunt no more. We have lots of bullets.
XXXI
Soontir C'boath

Heal and press on!
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Hawkwings wrote:Here's how you hunt: kill a couple buffalo, or enough other stuff to get to the max weight carryable, then you go back, then you immediately hunt again, and repeat until full.
I haven't played The Oregon Trail in a long time, particularly the original Apple ][ version like here, but wouldn't one buffalo be enough each time?

And for the record, if you shoot over 800 pounds, Indians will not show up and help you carry the rest back to the wagon, no matter what all your backseat-driving friends in typing class said. :P
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Dalton wrote:Son of a bitch!
I think the proper expletive for you would be "shit".
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:And for the record, if you shoot over 800 pounds, Indians will not show up and help you carry the rest back to the wagon, no matter what all your backseat-driving friends in typing class said. :P
Well shit, there goes that plan.
Hi, I'm Liz.
Twitter
Tumblr
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

Sell the clothes, and use the money to buy food. Then kill every single animal between there and the Snake River.
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Unless the intrepid adventurers particularly want to stay warm via man-love once the winter arrives, selling clothing is likely contraindicated.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image