Let's Play Oregon Trail. (Image Heavy, UPDATE 6/5/08)

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Keep the clothes, don't buy anything unless it is spare parts and hunt for food (maybe up the loadout of ammo a bit). Again a single buffalo will ALWAYS (IIRC) exceed your maximum food retrieval so as soon as you gun one down stop and save ammo (then hunt again as soon as the session finishes).

So anyway Wilken's Rules of the Trail:

- Ford under 3 ft, Caulk under 5, ferry everything else
- Every chance you get to buy spare parts do so, always stay maxed out
- Keep the damn clothes, at least 2/person
- Buy oxen if you have fewer than 8 but otherwise we're fine
- Hunt anytime food gets under 250lbs, shoot one buffalo then stop, hunt again, shoot one buffalo, and move on.
- Spend a day or two at each fort just to rest and recuperate.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

So I was drinking at a party last night and this thread came to mind, so when friends mentioned that their band's demo was complete I told them they sucked and that they should disband and reform as a goregrind band. They would have to be called Goregon Trail and all of their lyrics would have to be about the game. I guess I wound up writing these:
Apparently on a napkin I found in my jeans I wrote:AAAHHHHHHH FUCKIN INDIAN
AAAAAHHHHH FIVE DOLLARS
AAAAHHHHHH FORD THE RIVER
AAAAHHHHHH SAVE THE MONEY

STRUGGLING LIVESTOCK DIP BELOW WATER
LUNGS AND ESOPHAGUS BURNING FOR AIR
CAUGHT IN THE MUD AND EXHAUSTED BY CURRENTS
THEY HAVE BEEN SWALLOWED WITHOUT A CARE

FRAGILE AND WEAK WAGON CASCADES
END OVER END AND INTO THE DEEP
FIVE YEAR OLD SON DROWNS IN AN INSTANT
DAUGHTER GETS CHOLERA AND DIES IN HER SLEEP
:lol:

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread, already in progress.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

I can't stand that kind of music, but that is epic. :lol:
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

I think most goregrind is a dumb gimmick, but you can squeeze the word "gore" into the name of the game with ease. :P Almost writes itself.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

This thread is stupid :lol:
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:This thread is stupid :lol:
Because of the Goddamn Libertopians?
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

And the Goddamn Dysentery. Poor (Goddamn) Dalton :lol:
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:And the Goddamn Dysentery. Poor (Goddamn) Dalton :lol:
Yeah, that was a pretty shitty thing to happen to him.
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Man, I played Oregon Trail Deluxe as a kid and more crap happened than what's going on here! :lol: Someone get bitten by a snake already! :P
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

RogueIce wrote:
Shroom Man 777 wrote:And the Goddamn Dysentery. Poor (Goddamn) Dalton :lol:
Yeah, that was a pretty shitty thing to happen to him.
Dysentery's like the best part of the game.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles del Río de Porciúncula

Post by Instant Sunrise »

Okay, back to the OREGON TRAIL.

Setting out from Fort Laramie, the intrepid crew headed for Independence Rock.

It was hot, humid, and muggy. Not the kind of weather you would want to travel in, and to top it off, they were low on food and everybody was in a hungering mood. Wayne Poe drew the shortest straw and so had to take Mikes trusted rifle, Rebbecca, out to go hunt.

His first hunt was somewhat successful, nabbing two deer and a rabbit. However, after Dalton's "incident" It was decided to leave the rabbit meat behind, and just bring in the deer.

After Dalton's attempt, Uraniun was up to bat.

Handing Rebbecca over the Spanky, he was heard saying "oh god how did i get here, i am not good with firearms." Spanky got real Goddamn lucky and nailed a large, slow moving buffalo.

Up next was Mike Wong. He knew exactly how to handle Rebbecca, and a few minutes later, he had scored the highest at the "game" that been set up. Also, he was single-handedly responsible for the extinction of the buffalo species.

Everybody had continued on like that for a while, eventually garnering enough food to make it to Oregon, and likely enough to make it there without having to stop again.

Getting back on the trail, everybody continued along just fine, enjoying the trail and all the food that was available to eat in the mighty wagon. In fact, it was SUCH a hot day that was so perfectly calm and still on the great plains that...

OH JESUS HAIL STORM OUT OF FUCKING NOWHERE. The fearless banker from Boston, Mike Wong, was terrified as CHUNKS OF ICE THE SIZE OF A FIST FELL FROM THE FUCKING SKY JESUS FUCK. Of course, everybody else continued like it was normal and the wagon got through the hail storm, like it had never happened. Eventually, the gang had reached Independence Rock. Dalton, being bored out of his fucking mind the whole trip, decided to write his name on the rock, as had many travellers.

Soon though, it was back to the trail, it was another hundred miles to the South Pass, and the end of the Great Plains.

And then nothing fucking happens. Seriously. Everybody makes it to the South Pass fine.

However, the trail divides here, do we go straight for the Green river crossing, or do we swing south and stop at Fort Bridger?

Here is a map of where we are and our options.

As well as our current supplies:

Hi, I'm Liz.
SoS: NBA | GALE Force
Twitter
Tumblr
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Go for the river. The fort is just going to make your trip be that much longer, and you're fine on supplies.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I admire the rugged wilderness-manship of Mike Wong and how he led our plucky band of pilgrims through the American heartland. Were it not for him, this voyage would've been lost.

Haha, Dalton!
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Soontir C'boath
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Maybe we should try OT deluxe. I've had more crap happening than in this game!

Go for the river crossing.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

I agree, go for the river. Fuck I played this game a couple nights ago as a farmer and spent all my money. I managed to get to Oregon with most everybody alive (I lost one to drowning because our wagon tipped over).

Granted we were a ragged bunch in poor health with almost no supplies except for some food left, but by gum we made it.

CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Go for the river, its faster and we've got all the supplies we need.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Another vote for the river
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

River. We are manly men, and can handle this. Also, Rebbecca is a fine lady, and Mike knows how to treat her right. *doffs Stetson*
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

River. Unless you want to be the Donner Party of Oregon, it's best to get there before winter sets in. Shortcut!
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Instant Sunrise
Jedi Knight
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Angeles del Río de Porciúncula

Post by Instant Sunrise »

It was 52 miles to the Green River crossing. That distance seemed like a minor step. After all, Nine hundred miles had already passed by in what seemed like an instant. Matt's General Store back in Independence Missouri was nothing but a faded memory now.

The drudgery of the trail hit Dalton the hardest. After his bout of Dysentery from the rabbit meat. Dalton was feeling better for a while. Now though, now he was feeling like he was about pass out, throw up and violently shit himself, all at the same time.

"Fuck the medic!" Screamed Dalton, the high fever from Typhoid was really taking its toll. For a while, Dalton was convinced that he was a Librarian, and began acting like an Orangutan. The sickness would pass after a few days.

The Green River was in front of them. This was one of the widest and easily the deepest river on the trip to Oregon.

Well SDN, what do we do? FORD THE RIVER, Caulk and float, take the ferry, or wait and see if conditions improve.
Hi, I'm Liz.
SoS: NBA | GALE Force
Twitter
Tumblr
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

CAULK AND FLOAT BITCH. We are gonna raft downriver once we hit the Columbia, we'll need practice.
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
Soontir C'boath

Dalton: :lol: Muahahahahahahaha!

Fuck it, this trip's been too easy. Caulk and float.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Ferry damn you, Ferry or die

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

FERRY.

Or I guess you could all die and leave your land to the next people that arrive in Oregon safely.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
Vohu Manah
Jedi Knight

Post by Vohu Manah »

Ferry, don't chance floating the river.
There are two kinds of people in the world: the kind who think it’s perfectly reasonable to strip-search a 13-year-old girl suspected of bringing ibuprofen to school, and the kind who think those people should be kept as far away from children as possible … Sometimes it’s hard to tell the difference between drug warriors and child molesters.” - Jacob Sullum[/size][/align]