The Good Old Days... interest?

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

The Good Old Days... interest?

Post by Crayz9000 »

Well, for a short while the SDN's World STGOD seemed interesting to me, at least until it started getting bogged down in rulemongering and legalistic arguments.

Therefore, I propose a session of The Good Old Days, to vent frustration and basically deliver a healthy screw-you to anyone interested in pointless bickering.

Here are the rules, as far as TGOD has rules:

1. Respect the other players. While TGODs are known for their excessive use of violence and bloodshed, at least give the poor sod you're targeting a (slim) way to write himself out. Powergamers, however, do not deserve said justice, and so may be viciously targeted for sodomy via cheesegrater, or whatever your method of choice is.

2. Referring to rule 1, don't powergame. See Transcend for a definition of powergaming.

3. No schoolyard arguments/whining allowed. If you don't like the way someone did something, too bad, it's done, no bickering about it. Instead, harness all of those brain cells otherwise wasted on legalistic whining to write a creative response in character.

Now, unless somebody would like to moderate, this will remain a TGOD. Anyone want in?
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Feh. SDN World is awesome. Shut up.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
phongn
Rebel Leader

Re: The Good Old Days... interest?

Post by phongn »

Crayz9000 wrote:Well, for a short while the SDN's World STGOD seemed interesting to me, at least until it started getting bogged down in rulemongering and legalistic arguments.
I think we got past that stage. Now Shep and Sea Skimmer are making everyone's lives miserable in the finest traditions of the STGOD.
Now, unless somebody would like to moderate, this will remain a TGOD. Anyone want in?
There's the real danger that this devolves into a major spamfest.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Re: The Good Old Days... interest?

Post by Sea Skimmer »

phongn wrote: I think we got past that stage. Now Shep and Sea Skimmer are making everyone's lives miserable in the finest traditions of the STGOD.
Its about to get so much worse/better. Anyway, I'd go for a new TGOD or STGOD but I don’t have the time to do more then one at once and I intend to keep up SDN world until people either bitch too much, we do seem to have gotten over some of that, or it just plain falls about.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

I guess I spoke too soon on us moving past legalistic rulemongering, given the bullshit being raised over the mere act of assembling a convoy. This makes it pretty much certain that fighting any actual wars will be fucking impossible with fifty pages of arguments after one post of combat.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

Personally i have no preference with regards to rules or pure creative writing/rp driving a game. So if there is such a thing as this i might get involved if others do.
STGOD SDNW4 player. Chamarran Hierarchy Catgirls in space!
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Sea Skimmer wrote:I guess I spoke too soon on us moving past legalistic rulemongering, given the bullshit being raised over the mere act of assembling a convoy. This makes it pretty much certain that fighting any actual wars will be fucking impossible with fifty pages of arguments after one post of combat.
Mods in past STGODs have a) tried to play hands off and b) bickered among themselves. Certainly tabletop RP doesn't work like that; tabletop RP works because you have a benevolent dictator (the GM) - and in fact it works better with stronger GMs as long as they keep the goal of everyone having fun in mind.

I'd strongly suggest following that model in future, if you can find someone with the experience and time required.

Unfortunately I have no idea when I might be able to play in another one, looks like I'll be insanely busy through at least the rest of this year.
Ohma
Jedi Knight

Post by Ohma »

I'd be up for another STGOD or some other game as long as people were active.
Oh, Mister Darcy! <3
We're ALL Devo!
GALE-Force: Guardians of Space!
"Rarr! Rargharghiss!" -Gorn
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

hey, i dont know what yttou are al lconplaining about... SD.net World is freaking AWESOME! were up to over 100 pages of contious RP playing fun... Soooo much better then modle UN
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

yeah.

SDN World is a good game.

And as for "unable to stage a war" - right, that's pretty easy. Declare war and you're good to go :lol: like some members did.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

The game has been pretty dynamic on the political front.

Though on the military side, I think I'm not sure how a war is pursued. The issue of secrecy and handwaving I'm not sure how to approach it. :?
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

come on man... do you really WANT a war???

At this point, open war against any PC in the gae is virtual suicide..with the promity of nations to one another as well as the MASSIVE alliances and such, it would be madness MADFNESS to do so..

Any "real" war would mosty likely result in a lot of "M.A.D" as it where.....thats why we have Libertopia dont ya know
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

I'm just referring to the technical ability to wage a war.

Secrecy matters little, the economic similarity between nations allows to assume that the greater economic power wins in the decimation of the enemy's military and infrastructre with greater result, although probably will not be able to occupy his land entirely.

Of course, specifically developed weapons like spacefighters, etc. apply as a side factor towards the generic warmaking capabilities.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

The UAR's huge economics (two 20K+ posters, plus Neverhood) and nuclear-centric militaries probably give them an edge in combat, I'd say. Shep and Sea Skimmer know how to wage nuclear war, and nobody except the IRT has invested huge sums into a comprehensive air-defense system.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

If anyone ACTUALLY declared war...I'd be mostly screwed, seeing how i spend most of my assets on inferstructure and big htings, Ive relied soley on my Alliance in OMSK to protect me :P
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Technically the Neverhood should also rebel now with what happened. It took on the OMSK authority but not the UAR authority which includes Saddam.

I'll ask DEATH for permission to instigate a rebellion in Sheppard's land - he's a former leader of that nation after all.

As for comprehensive air-defense, we had additional defenses deployed by Shep himself during the MESS crisis under the Blackbeard program.

Not to mention that me and PeZook also centered on deploying SAM batteries. It's also feasible with the kind of armies and hardware we wield.

That is not to say I am willing to go to war with UAR, but Saddam did a lot of stuff which is to put it blunt jeopardizing the entire world, and anyone who allies with Skimmer has "WAR MACHINE" written all over him :lol: so I'm not exluding the possibility of either MESS or someone else drawing UAR into a war.

Assalti Frontali
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Stas Bush wrote:Technically the Neverhood should also rebel now with what happened. It took on the OMSK authority but not the UAR authority which includes Saddam.

I'll ask DEATH for permission to instigate a rebellion in Sheppard's land - he's a former leader of that nation after all.

As for comprehensive air-defense, we had additional defenses deployed by Shep himself during the MESS crisis under the Blackbeard program.

Not to mention that me and PeZook also centered on deploying SAM batteries. It's also feasible with the kind of armies and hardware we wield.

That is not to say I am willing to go to war with UAR, but Saddam did a lot of stuff which is to put it blunt jeopardizing the entire world, and anyone who allies with Skimmer has "WAR MACHINE" written all over him :lol: so I'm not exluding the possibility of either MESS or someone else drawing UAR into a war.
Please do. I'm looking over my Eastern coast with great nervousness.

On a side note, I've been churning out SAM missiles out of my factories and deploying them around the key cities and the coastal regions, and the first S-400 batches should be out soon.
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

There's a lot more to building an IADS than just churning out and emplacing SAMs, you know :P It's why I have such a tiny "normal" army - the money spent there goes to my air and missile defense system.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

phongn wrote:There's a lot more to building an IADS than just churning out and emplacing SAMs, you know :P It's why I have such a tiny "normal" army - the money spent there goes to my air and missile defense system.
Like? It's not like there isn't a radar to which these SAMs get their data from. :? Then throw in the Berievs with the Phalcon radar I'm getting soon.
Kreia
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Like? It's not like there isn't a radar to which these SAMs get their data from. :? Then throw in the Berievs with the Phalcon radar I'm getting soon.
Bah, and give away my sekrits into how to build a proper air-defense system? :P But as a hint: you're concentrating far too much on individual elements.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

phongn wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Like? It's not like there isn't a radar to which these SAMs get their data from. :? Then throw in the Berievs with the Phalcon radar I'm getting soon.
Bah, and give away my sekrits into how to build a proper air-defense system? :P But as a hint: you're concentrating far too much on individual elements.
Meaning... I should start linking the whole lot together and working in unison?
Kreia
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Stas Bush wrote:I'll ask DEATH for permission to instigate a rebellion in Sheppard's land - he's a former leader of that nation after all.
:P After All I did for you! :P
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

After All I did for you!
:P Politics :P Nothing personal

Assalti Frontali