SD.Net World(RAR!) MK II

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

August 9th, 2010
Personal Notes of Director Fritz Zwicky, Head Of White Sand's Orbital Assembly and Research Division.

We may have finally got around the problem of construction of Radar Imagiers. The notes and designs his Grace obtained for us as insufficient, the level of parts needed to build one is next to impossible, each piece is separate from the next and specialized. Civilians and those who have not been in the field as long as I have do not know that unlike the common GPS or even data-transmission, each Radar satellite is almost a work of art in precise construction.

I thank God every day that our visual birds have been taken over by Vuplesia, they only produce one type of satellite, our visual imaging birds, and they have nearly as many people in their division as we do with our eight separate programs. The amount of precision required for some of our missions goals can boggle the mind.

Witness what happened when Dr Fregersons team attempted to duplicate the RADARSAT birds we had the plans for, hah, that project was doomed to failure, the satellites were designed to operate in 800 km's orbits, and worse they are not designed for fixed orbits. Had we launched the things, in ten years or less, no matter where we orbited it, it would cross Saddamstain airspace. Worse it is obviously a spy satellite, so can you image what the responses would have been if we dragged it to a launch pad in Atlantis and tried to send it off? Hah, that is why our birds all that the minimum 1000 km limit in their design.

I believe Dr Rufus cheated in the Vulpsat MK II-B's, if they preform to specification it will win him an award but I think that forty year operating span claim of his is bullshit. At best it will last twenty two years, my money is on fifteen at the most. He is of course counting on the short term memory of our politicians. But what about the King? He will remeber the 40 year figure and question will be asked.
-------------------------
August 12th
Good news, definitive good news, it seems Dr Hoffman's weather satellites are at last complete, They took the GOES's design and improved it, a year and a half to get where they are now, but here we have a two ton satellite that's now a one point eight ton satellite thanks to construction improvements and upgrading of electronics. Even better we require only three of them to monitor all world weather and Dr Hoffman is hard at work at building the other two. But I know his Grace, he will insist on six, and since the Proton-M's can lift them to GEO then six he will have. Dr Hoffman insisted he could have two build in just under three months. Which means by this time December we will have the long awaited weather satellites we've been waiting for.

Dr Hoffman was talking about build in upgrade factor must get more details on that.
----------
August 13th
Genius! Pure Genius, I will recommend some sort of promotion, a pay raise and perhaps a ticker-tape parade if he wants one. Dr Hoffman you shining example to us all. He managed to fit the experimentation bay design into the GEOS's. That's 400 pounds of lee-way we can fill with any kind of scientific device we want as long as it's no bigger than five meter's long. We've already put a TRIMM on the first one and the models say we still have 120 pounds left over. Rather than have my scientists fight to get their pet project in space I ordered the space room filled with extra station keeping fuel and another suite of sims to ensure it will deploy correctly with the TRIMM sensors in there. However the other two(Or more likely five) my scientists will fight to the death to get their sensor package in that spot. See if they don't.

August 15th
What did I tell you? He ordered six, backups always backups, Despite the experiments showing the footprint size of the GEOS would be roughly 7000 km's . One centered over IRT would still cover the Grand Duchy of Baal. He told us good, then build me six, put one over the edge of the IRT, one over the ocean between Sheppnukstain and Neverhood, one over the top tip of the Shinra Republic, one right over the south edge of Terra Libertia, one over the Royal Rail Republic, and one right above the bay here in the UKB and we will have triple coverage over the entire populated world and a few thousand square km's of open ocean so no storm can strike our islands unseen.

The First one will be over the bay here in the UKB, launch is set for the end of this month.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

The Columbia Post
Gleenwood, Duchy of the Westmarch

Today the Minister of the Interior and the Minister of Commerce announced a new joint initiative with the Lonestar Republic.

"We are today announcing the beginnings of a massive engineering project to link our two countries by means of three truly massive tunnels," stated Sir Robert Houghton the Minister of Commerce. "The project will provide 6 tracks of fully electrified passenger and frieght rail between Wilkonia and the Lonestar Republic."

Principal financing for the project has been through a joint venture of all three Wilkonian Naitonal Rail Corporations, after a parliamentary exception was created to the Sherman Anti-Trust Law, and their LSR equivalents. The governments of both naitons have agreed to participte with additional funding to help secure the lines of credit needed to being operating the first two tunnels. Construction is expected to begin by the end of the year as geological survey's of the Gleenwood Straights has already indicated an incredibly favourable drilling environment.

/OOC the distance at this point is only a few miles further apart than the Straights of Dover so I'm basing my timeline on a slightly less fumbled and overestimated version of the Chunnel project. The difference being the Chunnel timeline is enough to get the first 2 tunnels operational then another few years to finish the third.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

SPACE-Y Launches FALCON 5 Rocket

Space Launch Facility 9 - Space-Y is proud to announce the first successful launch of the Falcon 5 heavy rocket. Designed as a simple, mass-produced and reusable rocket, this rocket was developed jointly with Tian Xia aerospace corporations. Work continues thrust-augmented rocket designs which will further improve the already world-leading performance of the Falcon series rockets ...

[ Due to the threat of Saddamistan chemical plastering, the IRT's launch sites - near water for recovery reasons - are in underground, CBRN-resistant facilities with heavy elevators for the rockets to raise, fuel and launch. Yes, this costs a fortune, and is one reason we're behind on rocket development. ]
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

August 10th, 2010
Inventory Report to Director Fritz Zwicky, Head Of White Sand's Orbital Assembly and Research Division.

Proton-M
There are eight separate Proton-M production facilities in operation in the UKB. At present out-put levels it is possible to produce a full Proton-M from each facility once every eight weeks. Factory PAC-1 and PAC-2 are the oldest two built, with the veteran crews can and have produced full rockets in seven weeks, the record is held by PAC-2 which produced the 42nd Proton-M in a record six weeks four days and ten hours.

Transship of rockets takes two full days and is counted towards the eight weeks of production time. Almost all PAC's are averaging closer to seven weeks for assembly at this point. However due to slacking demand we have lowered goals to a rocket every ten weeks in order to give additional QA time and reduce shifts to five day work weeks from the standard six we ran in 2008 and most of 2009.

Due to accrued leave we are expecting a slow-down in the production of Proton-M's over the next few months. You can't have half the workforce taking a vacation and NOT experience a slow-down. Nearly all our crews are taking a vacation of three to five weeks over the next two months. Not all at different times thankfully. Also in our favor we have three Proton-M's on hand ready for satellites and the ten week cycle ends next week so that will jump to eleven before we go into vaction season. We worked right through it last year only by offering massive bonsus and it hurt our bottom line to say the least. But it was the only way to ensure we had enough to meet the goals we had set.

Other Production Facilities
As of December 2009, the Shroomian local assembly facility was completed. It will lower the cost of follow-up Shroom-Sat launches by decreasing the transshipping costs to Atlantis from White Sands as well gives us a backup assembly facility should some disaster happen to White Sands. Which is why we aim to move PAC-6 our worst performer to south of Atlantis in a grant from the Crown.

Plans are being drawn up to move PAC-7 to Sigil but nothing is set in stone as of the time of this report.

There are two smaller Proton-M facilitys in the Red Technocracy in connection with the SPIRAL project. That facility is not under the purview of this report, except to note the workers there were trained by UKB machinists and assemblers.

Vulkan/Energia
There are six assembly facilities for the Vulkan rocket. Three around white Sands, one built near Liberty City and one near Mountain home by request of the military and one built just two miles away from the launch pad assembly area. It takes a full twelve weeks to assemble a Vulkan rocket and that is reflected by the much lower production numbers. We are just shy of two years of operation for all Vulkan construction facilities. Which is why only 42 Vulkan rockets have been completed compared to 103 Proton-M's. The end stage for the Vulkan's is due the end of this month and is on track and we expect a full six rockets completed at or on September 1st. Then the same slow-down as per the other facilities.

Possible Expansions
Micro-Satellites
We are currently experimenting with low costs rockets for ultra-light launches the Indian PSVL or an improvement on the American Falcon V. However no lack of buyers in this area and the fact the IRT and Tian Xia have a working model make it uneconomically viable to compete in this area. It is suggested that the investment in the various International Rail-Gun projects might yield a cheaper low cost LEO delivery system.
Also a variant on the Proton-M, titled the "Proton-MP" a variant of the rocket that would reduce total payload to just ten tons to LEO but vastly increase the number of Micro-satellites that could be deployed from one rocket. Initial reports are not promising. But the project has been ordered to go ahead anyway for lack of a better alternative.

Heavy Lifter Increase
The Hercules Variant of the Energia, it is the top stage of the VULKAN series and would offer 170 ton weight lifting to LEO. And as much as 45 tons to GEO, an unmatched ability.

Moon Probe?
VAC-6 is planned to be shut down after the September for the building of a test variant of the Vulkan. The Goal is to lift a twenty four ton inert test model to Lunar orbit. This variant titled the Vulkan-E(Escape Velocity), this Vulkan would allow the placement of Satellites in Lagrange as well as Lunar orbit. According to Engineers reports the possibility of landing manned personnel on the moon and returning them to earth is highly unlikely with the VULKAN/Energia rockets. As Hercules variant had the strength to do so, but the version in use by the UKB is not well suited to that.

The Lunar issue is not yet resolved in the Government, most plan to push ahead to a Long-Term Space Station in orbit first, then go for the moon, rather than the other way around. At present only one test VULKAN-E has been authorized.

End Report

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

S.S. Jenny. Eastern Sea

"Hay LT Dan! look here LT Dan!"

Daniel Taylor groaned, and hefted himself onto the wheel chair. Forrest had served under him in The War, although which war it was neither he nor Forrest could recall. In the end he had lost both his legs, and a good chunk of his sanity. He took a swig of Liquid Banjo.

"I'm coming Goddamnit." He wheeled himself out onto the main deck.

"What the Fuck is it?"

"LT Dan, look!" Forrest pointed out into the ocean. Dan turned...

...Dead fish. Dead fish as far as the eye could see.

"...What the Hell..."

"This'll make fishing much easier LT Dan!"

"No, Goddamnit, somethings wrong." Dan wheeled himself back to the pilothouse. "We need to call DPS or something."

North Texas News Service(NTNS)

BREAKING NEWS: ENVIRONMENTAL DISASTER IN THE EASTERN SEA?

"Fishing craft located to the Southwest of the Shinra Coast are reporting what must be hundreds of thousands of dead fish. NTNS attempted to reach the Shinra, Tian Xia, and LSR Governments, but the consensus seems to be that the source of the disaster is yet unknown. A LSR DPS Spokesperson said it was likely that the Oceanographic research vessel [/i]Poseidon would deploy immediately to the scene. The Poseidon is a joint DPS-DON run vessel.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

"So what's this I hear about our hospitals in Libertopia are involved in bloodsports?"
"Well Libertopians have no concept of "Pro-bono" medical work, or anything thats not a result of "fair Trade".-"
"Yes, so what does this have to do with these animal rights protesters demanding that people Boycott Hughes/Kaiser?"
"Well several centuries ago, someone brought an Ostrich like bird to a "Cock Fight", well the end result is that Libertopians breed oversized birds for blood sports. We accepted some Hens in return for an artificial leg. We're using the Hens for ambulance services. We appear to have some chicks now too."
"So why aren't you using regular vehicles?"
"Because while our hospital is located where the Republic was able to purchase some cheap land for building the hospital and attached airship port from the warlords. The mining companies have their hospitals located in the one sea port Alexander has access too, while ours is deep in the interior. Consequently we have the physically closest hospital to the mining operations."
"So why don't you use roads?"
"Because the Mining company's see our hospital and Airship port as competition, they try and keep us from having access. Since we have to import our fuel, and we believe that the mining company's are giving Stinger missiles to the Robber Barons, who maintain the roads. We don't want to risk our helos or our airships that way. So using carts driven by oversized agressive ostriches works."

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Constantinople Times

Refugee Ship from Terra Libertia gets hit by a mine that broke off its moorings

We received a report from a source in the Patriarchy of Terra Libertia that a refugee ship from an unknown location in Terra Libertia was hit by a mine that broke off the moorings somewhere off Terra Libertia. The ship is listing heavily and may sink any time.
Last edited by Fingolfin_Noldor on 2008-05-18 02:56am, edited 1 time in total.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Nuclear Energy Institute Quarterly

Fast Breeder Reactor is Operational and undergoing testing

The Fast Breeder Reactor under construction for the past 1.5 years is finally operational and undergoing testing. Testing is expected to last for the next 6-12 months.

Ambitious Tokamak reactor undergoing design and development.

The design of an ambitious Tokamak reactor making use of every known technology available began last year. Plans include the use of niobium-based superconducting magnets for the containment field and high power lasers for the inertia confinement and heating of the plasma. The reactor will be 10-30m high depending on funding constraints. The project is expected to take the next 5-10 years. Foreign participants are welcome.
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Indhopal's Plan for Libertopia

At the International Conference, Indhopal laid out its suggestions for the international treaty organization of Libertopia. MP Larsen said planning all aid through such an agency would take too much time and get all the nations bogged down in minutia. He suggested that the treaty organization simply be a place where all nations announce the aid they are giving to Libertopia in an open forum, so there would be no back room dealing and there would be transparency in the process. Nations should attempt to coordinate aid, but such efforts should be voluntary.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

RED ONE CHANNEL: Refugee Catastrophy: A ship with Libertian refugees, taking water, strands along the coast of Saddamistan

A news reporter from the Diocese was on the ship, apparently. And he was able to hook his camera to a news network. We are getting an image...

- Hello! - a voice with a strong accent spoke off-screen. - I am translating from Terra Libertia! The refugees from the shipwreck stranded in Saddamistan, and they want water and shelter! Many of them are from the Sultanate, fleeing the carnage of Saddamistani attacks and the civil conflict.

- Now, most of them have dispersed in tents on the coastline, and some people still are swimming to the shore from the ship. You can see that upon being stranded, it broke in half!

- Now, I will remain here and come out every day for broadcasting. It remains to be seen what Saddamistan does to us all! We urge the powers to turn an attention to our landing point, which is somewhere on the southern coastline of Saddamistan, we can't make out the exact location...
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Atlantis, corridor near the conference hall

King Paul sighed as he surveyed the assembled crowd. So much time...so many words...and so little progress. Without consensus, there could be no progress in Libertopia at all, and consensus seemed to be harder and harder to achieve with each passing hour. It had to be during recess in talks where most of the convincing had to be done.

He worked his way towards Arik and Shroom, who were discussing something near the wall. The corridor looked great, with works of art and plush carpets everywhere...trappings which seemed to follow powerful men everywhere, no matter how much they professed humilit and restraint.

"Hi.", the King said upon reaching his friends,"Listen, I understand why you are wary of recognizing those warlords as real countries. I'd like to probe, why exactly."

Paul could already tell his counterparts didn't like where this was going.

"See, I know Arik doesn't want to be dragged into a conflict because of Libertian involvement, but we're not discussing entering into an alliance with those three. The entire stabilization proposal centers around scrutinizing their actions, avoiding military involvement and tying aid shipments to their good behavior. I don't quite see how you can deal with them at all without recognizing their rule - it implies you would embrace the first man which would replace them, so they're set up as opponents to us from the get-go."

Paul stirred his drink, absent-mindedly.

"Frankly, if we can't bring everybody on board and to play the same notes, then I'm afraid attempts to actively stabilize Libertia are pointless. This said, I understand why you don't want to get involved very heavily. But you will contribute aid for distribution by the planned agency-thing, right?"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Astoria Daily Rag

REFUGEES DROWN AS LEADERS PLOT

While the Conference On Neo-Imperial Meddling...oh, sorry, On Terra Libertia, is underway, a refugee ship has crashed upon the shores of a most brutal, psychopathic and paranoid empire of Nova Terra - Saddamistan.

And, of course, our great leaders do nothing.

There is much posturing about Saddamistan every hour, and plenty of tough talk. But when it comes to action, every nation suddendly decides it doesn't want to step on any toes. How long will it continue? How about getting your shit together and helping those poor people, who will no doubt be "disappeared" soon by the Saddamistani secret police?

Ah, but who are we, the simple citizens, to know what is good for the world. It is far better to plot and scheme in the aloof halls of Atlantis than actually do anything of substance.

Chief Editor, Astoria Daily Rag

Chief Boombastic

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Indophal, capital. Public park.

Two men were sitting at a lone park bench next to a giant ProTec propaga...advertising billboard. Both of them found it amusing, how it sold mercenary life to the average citizen, and both of them for entirely different reasons. For one, it reminded him of socialist murals, espousing the worker's fight for a better tomorrow. For the other, it seemed way too similar to toothpaste ads not to be funny.

"So, did you review the information I sent you?", asked the slightly shorter man, known to some as major Kulinsky, RIS.

"Yes.", GRU captain Syergyey Mladkov, "legal" GRU resident, answered, "This is why I wanted to meet you again in person. In your report, you mentioned that you are in contact with several ProTec mercenaries who worked with you in Libertopia."

"Yes. I suppose you want me to milk them for more information."

"Right"

Both men stazed silent for a moment, contemplating the billboard. But not only that - both of them scanned their surroundings, looking for anything out of the ordinary.

"You are aware I'm not a legal resident, right? Besides, you could easily ask them yourself."

Mladkov rubbed his chin. It was uncomfortable having to keep information from people the Red Technocracy was supposed to be trusting.

"It's imperative we keep our fingerprints off it. It could threaten the lives of GRU operatives."

"Ah. I understand", Kulinsky said. He figured as much, anyway, "I'll see what I can do. But we won't meet in person again."

"You're under surveillance?"

"I think so."

Mladkov was alarmed. This was bad news...but who could be interested in Kulinsky? Everything he knew was that his cover was pretty solid - an officer who fell from grace, removed from his pet case, reduced to demeaning assignments. Quite clever, he had to admit.

"I managed to lose them for the day without raising much suspicion, but I don't want to repeat that. I will have someone prepare a report, and it will be delivered to Red Technocracy embassy in Astoria. Is that acceptable?"

"Da", replied the Technocracy spy. A few more moments of silence followed.

"So this is goodbye, then", Mladkov said after a while

"It would appear so."

"Major...do me a favor, please."

"What kind?"

"Stay alive"

Kulinsky smiled. He was getting fond of Mladkov as well. It was too bad.

"I shall try, comrade captain. Do svidannya."

"Do svidannya, comrade major"

With that, Kulinsky stood up and left. The GRU spy got up shortly after, and walked away in a completely separate direction. He hoped that he didn't compromise the entire infiltration with this meeting.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
The Yosemite Bear

Ft. Hadrian, Territory of General Alexander, Bear Republic Mission, Libertopia.

Dr. Bumppo entered Dr. Oliver's office, next to the morgue, the nessessity of having to buy the bodies who were killed in suspicious accidents, from the mining companys and the families, if they were willing to sell them to the Republic's Doctors was at first confusing. Also why did Dr. Oliver want to do atopsies on obvious industrial accident deaths?

Oliver began talking letting Bumppo listen as she built her case. Bumppo realized that she was a mystery addict and loved to show how smart she was.
"Cause of death in this case self inflicted blunt force trauma
This one went into a mine shaft with out his breath mask
This one was aphisiated due to tunnel collapse.

So La Longue Carabine, any guess to what they all had in common?"

"They all worked for Tonkin mining?"

"Nope, Tonkin hasn't let me buy the bodies of their workers killed in accidents, the scuicide worked for Tonkin, the other two worked for Blackadder mining consortiums. Nope, they all had "Soma with a Lime Twist" in their systems."

Bumppo got really cold, Lime had been dead for over a year, everyone had seen his car explode covered by a news Zepplin while Lime was under investigation for over 200 counts of negligent homicide. Lime's "Twist" was adulterations to the popular BR pain killer "Soma" that made it more addictive, increased the Euphoria, and caused nerve damage, leading to either death from organ failure, or more commonly psychotic breaks. Due to the biological weapon's ban, Soma was NEVER exported from the BR, indeed Fort Hadrian officially had no Soma, it did however have all the chemicals to make it, and kept them secured.

Someone had found out how to make the "Lime Twist" and was selling it to the miners. (Suddenly the increase in accidents was starting to make sense.) Yes, just as Soma abuse had peaked in the Republic following the natural disasters, it was known that workers under the effects of the drug, wouldn't feel happy, undisturbed by pain, hunger or fatigue, until the drug wore off. The "Lime Twist" extended the high, made the drug more addictive, and caused instant nerve damage that would require a much higher dose of Soma to achieve. Someone had to be alerted to this crisis.

Soma: named after a suburb of Pirates Bay, full of Hospitals, Cemetaries, Nursing Homes and Sanitariums. The drug is a pain killer that blocks the pain receptors and increases dopamine production. Creating both a dulling of pain and fatigue as well as an increase in "Feel Good" endorphins. The Dopamine also promotes healing. Though used in the Bear Republic in small doses for medical use, it has become the most over perscribed drug in the Republic, It is a legal with perscription Class 1 controlled substance.

"Soma with a Lime Twist": slang, following the 2008 natural disasters the BR was faced with a shortage of Soma, due to the demand from people injured during the incidents, as well as those suffering depression in the aftermath. Pharmacist Henry Lime was suspected of adulterating Soma with other drugs to extend his supply, to meet the increased demand. After over 200 deaths from tainted Soma, Lime's car was destroyed in a car bomb attack while he was under investigation. The body inside was burnt beyond recognition. One of Lime's teeth was found with root DNA near the scene of the murder, confirming his idenity.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Atlantis

"Well?" Secretary Mironov asked. He took another drink of his beer.

"It seems that the offer is real, the LSR can move back into the embassy whenever we choose." Vladimir said.

"Good, good..." Mironov said, looking down at the beer. I'll have to figure out a way to get Anchor Steam to open a Brewery here...

"One other thing, Mr. Secretary..."

"Yes?"

"Apparently the Red Technocracy wants to begin direct business negotiations with LSR companies."

Mironov frowned.

"Which companies?"

San Antonio Businessweek
Texas Tobacco Company snags deal to sell in the Red Technocracy

"Obviously we're very excited about this deal." TTC President and CEO Pierre Lorillard said in a press conference. "With the thawing of relations with the Red Technocracy, we can provide quality LSR products to them. With entry into the RT, TTC will have sales in every country except Saddamistan."

With the thaw there is an onrush of LSR companies running into the Red Technocracy Market. In addition to Texas Tobacco Company, the Texas Parcel Service will be petitioning for entry into the market. The State Department is likely to grant approval.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

PeZook wrote:Atlantis, corridor near the conference hall

King Paul sighed as he surveyed the assembled crowd. So much time...so many words...and so little progress. ...

He worked his way towards Arik and Shroom, who were discussing something near the wall. ...

"Hi.", the King said upon reaching his friends,"Listen, I understand why you are wary of recognizing those warlords as real countries. I'd like to probe, why exactly."

Paul could already tell his counterparts didn't like where this was going.

"Frankly, if we can't bring everybody on board and to play the same notes, then I'm afraid attempts to actively stabilize Libertia are pointless. This said, I understand why you don't want to get involved very heavily. But you will contribute aid for distribution by the planned agency-thing, right?"
"I am willing to contribute to a general MESS fund or distribution agency," Arik said, "But I will do nothing to directly encourage or reward these warlords, or give them any reason to believe that we value them in any way, shape or form."

"So, you'd... give to a third agency to act as go-between..."

"Right. Not one Canissian person or pack of goods will go directly from us to them. I wash my hands of them until they can earn credibility and respect. But look at the bright said-- if they do, indeed, earn that credibility and respect, I am willing to go 100% with them on recognition. They'd be very handy, geographically speaking, in any future dealings with Saddamistan."

"Pretty cynical reason to encourage them," Paul said, "Grow up and be responsible so you can earn a place in any future war."

"Politics is a cynical game," Arik said, "Let's face it, if we just give them recognition and ...whatever they want, you don't believe they'd try to maneuver us into something to sate their own petty desires? I mean, really."

"Point taken," Paul said with a sigh. One of the things that drove Arik's point of view was his past, growing up in America and serving that country's interests-- seeing his country being used to prop up despicable regimes for the sake of some other convenience, like the Marcos regime in the Philippines, Mobutu and the Apartheid regimes in Africa... it was a cycle Arik was desperately trying to avoid.

"Paul, I am as interested in stability there as anyone else is," Arik said, "I have nothing personal against the Libertopians, in fact I feel like they have gotten the raw end of a horrible deal. But giving more to the thugs that got them in this mess won't help. The burden is on these warlords to prove they are worthy of being recognized as statesmen. I'll gladly accept them if they can. But we need to see progress."

"But they need help, support, materiel, in order for their to be progress," Paul argued.
"Hence I will contribute to a general fund and let aid agencies make the call rather than political interests," Arik said. "But remember Somalia? America, at first, ran in to give aid and medicine, only to have it stolen and used as political weapons or to feed militias. Or in places like Sierra Leone, in Africa, where children were given immunizations, only to have warlord militias come in an hour later and hack off the arms of the children where the vaccine was given.

"If there is progress made in this, I'll keep the door open for more. But I don't think that we," Arik said, and waved with his hand around the room, "--don't have to prove anything. They do, the warlords. Prove to me they really do have the best interests of their people at heart, and I'm willing to do whatever is needed..."
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Aboard the SRS Ranger operating somewhere off the west coast of Terra Libertia

Vice Admiral Michael Unther, SRN was going over the daily media briefs and frowned. A refugee ship hit a mine and winds up on the coast of Saddamistan? Wonderful...

"Commander, signal the Foreign Ministry. Have them talk to the Red Technocracy, see if they have any idea where that journalist transmitted from. And signal the other two TFs, let's see if our ELINT can pick it up next time?"

"Aye aye, sir."

"And get 'em to message Saddamistan again," For all the good that's likely to accomplish... "to start some kind of dialouge about the welfare of those survivors."

"On it, admiral."

He sat back in his chair on the navigation bridge and looked out to sea. He had no idea if their ELINT would pick it up. The 'south coast of Saddamistan' was a big place, and they had no idea where they'd washed up. And he sure as Hell wasn't sending his plans to stumble up and down the coastline of Saddamistan blindly. He didn't think any of the other MESS commanders would do so either.

It was, like everything else down here, a delicate political situation. He hoped the politicians could figure it out soon enough for those refugees, but he wasn't sure. He knew, better than most of the crew of his ships, that it wasn't just the Shinra Republic, or even the MESS that was concerned here. Anything like this would almost certainly have to be run by other world leaders, and would no doubt come up at that Atlantis conference they were having.

He sent a silent prayer, out to whoever was listening, that those refugees would be alright. And that their lives wouldn't become yet more pawns in the international political arena.

Much like what the fucking OMSK seem to consider us as... The mysterious dealings by the OMSK Pact, still unexplained to the world community, burned like a fire in him, and in many of the MESS officers and sailors. They weren't really happy if their own leaders treated their lives like pieces on some giant chessboard. But when other leaders were apparently doing the same...

Unther took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. Going over this again and again would get him nowhere. For now, he'd just have to focus on the task at hand. He stood up and walked over to where he could see the next batch of planes take off, on their seemingly endless BARCAP between Terra Libertia and Saddamistan.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Near Allah Spitbar Island, South-East Saddamistan

Two Mi-17 transports equipped with stub wings for 100mm cluster rocket pods and door gunners escorted the solitary Mi-19 command post helicopter, the aircraft flying low over a landscape that alternated between broad crocodile infested salt marshes and inlets of open sea water. Allah Spitbar was just ahead, one of many long low, and extreamly exposed barrier islands along the coastline in the sector, years ago the territory of the fallen empire of Super Yemen.

The broken hulk of the refuge ship on the rocks was clearly visabul, its stern cracked off and sunk in deeper water. Identified as former passenger line Empedocle thought General Abd-Al-Qadir of the 3rd Coast Defense Division as the helicopter circled over the the sprawling improvised camp made by the refuges. More then a hundred fifty armed Saddamistani soldiers of the 31st Boarder Guards Battalion had already been airlifted in, but with nearly two thousand Libertians on the beach and bodies still washing ashore the situation was highly unstable. For now the men had been ordered to form a security screen to prevent the refuges from spreading further down the beach, but did no more.

Offshore several patrol boats and missile corvettes had begun a slow search for bodies, and survivors, but mainly they existed as a security screen. Al-Qadir knew however that the cruiser-destroyer escort squadron was still several hours away, but already had a firm clamp down over the local air situation in combination with shore based SAMs.

“How long until the landing craft arrive?” asked Al-Qadir over his headset, the whine of the aircrafts turboshafts and rotors making all normal communication impossible. “Two hours,” reported back one of the radio operators, “two Polnocny, fleet estimates they can accommodate four fifty people each in overload condition, transport will be directly to the holding facility on Al-Moraft island.”
“Good enough for now,” muttered Al-Qadir. “Tell them to send at least two more from what I see, the current headcount made be an underestimation. And if the air force will get off its ass, maybe then can airdrop some water, or at least suicide pills for all this illegal human wreckage.”
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

As negotiations dragged on at the international conference, Business continued for ProTec and the sate of Indhopal. The training missions were going well. Of special note, Alexander's bodyguards were now trained to the highest standard; they were equipped similarly. Most of Alexander's units had been quite good to begin with, but large unit integration and logistics had been issues. ProTec's men had been working on getting them to work together in groups larger than company size. Staff work and logistics were also much improved. Alexandria would have a fully functional army yet. Other good news included much greater transportation links. The major mining centers and cities were now well connected and well guarded. Bandits almost never attacked on the major highways. Electricity service was also slowly coming into Alexander's capital. Elsewhere it was rare outside the mines though.

There were several concerns, concerns Alexander simply did not talk about. One was there were big stretches of the interior that were essentially no go areas for outsiders. Local warlords with their own self sufficient communes ran those areas. Alexander said they paid him loyalty, but ProTec's men weren't so sure. Surveillance flights also showed that several of them were growing opium up there while a thriving economy of smugglers got the drugs out of Libertopia. Another issue was Alexander refused to talk with anyone about his long term plans. It was often hard to know what he was thinking about doing; his orders always seemed to be planning for half a dozen contingencies and operations.

ProTec also started investigations into the drug related deaths in the mines they had contracts with. Anyone found dealing such drugs was interrogated as to their source and harshly dealt with.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Imperial Chronicles

The Eastern Roman Emperor grumbled to himself that the conference was as he guessed; little progress was being made and everyone was wary of getting involved. "Perhaps the better solution would be to obliterate all of Terra Libertia. Life would be so much simpler with Saddamistan being the sole threat."

He walked over to King Paul of Pezookia and told him, "To be frank and honest, the scale of the civil war in the Sultanate will ensure that there won't be any peace in the next few years. Short of having the rival general assassinated and hopefully his forces disintegrate, I do not think that we can achieve peace soon. Sure we can give aid to the remaining... rabble, but I fear a blow back effect. These ungrateful whelp have proven less than reliable at times, and I think we are just... feeding them to get ready for the next competition, like dogs in a illegal fight. Perhaps the best thing that has happened right now, is that the rebels in the Sultanate are too focused on taking down the Sultan, than attacking anyone else."
Kreia
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

The Battalion
CSGN class ordered by LSRN
The LSRN has ordered a CSGN from L3 Maritime Systems, it is expected to resemble closely the CSGNs ordered by Tian Xia. In addition, Steel and other materials has been ordered for a second CSGN, making an order next year all but certain. The two vessels will be named Goliad and Pecos. No word as to whether or not F-35Bs will also be ordered.

New LHD Class ordered
The LHD-4 class, a design under study by the LSRN for over a year, has been ordered by the LSRN. The Two Vessels will be named Stephen F. Austin and Sam Houston.

Texas Instruments Snags deal for PAR pair
Texas Instruments was award a contract to construct two large Perimeter Acquisition Radars for air and missile defense.
Last edited by Lonestar on 2008-05-18 10:21pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Material Science Institute Quarterly

Niobium-Titanium and Niobium-Tin Superconducting magnets with varying compositions sent to to Bear Republic for joint evaluation

The Material Science Institute Superconductivity division sent Niobium-Titanium and Niobium-Tin Superconducting magents to the Supercollider project for joint evaluation. These industrial grade magnets are the key standard in the industry but questions were posed by the High Energy Institute on whether they are good enough. "We need the best magnets possible, and also magnets that don't heat up after constant use. That is the key challenge. Naturally, with the stronger magnetic field, the better for us," says the director of the High Energy Institute. BSCCO, Magnesium diboride, Niobium-Aluminium and other superconducting materials are under evaluation as well with advantages including higher operating temperatures but key issues such as manufacturing problems remain key sticking issues. "Truth to tell, Magnesium Diboride is an attractive option and is being actively investigated. Though if time is an issue, I think the existing Nio-Tin and Nio-Sn will be sufficient if time, and money is an issue. After all, we could always replace the existing magnets with newer ones later." says one senior member of the superconductivity division.

A key paper written by a member of the Material Science Institute last year describes some of the problems faced. While Niobium-Titanium and Niobium-Tin are well used, they are not the best. More research into superconductivity continue with collaborations with Shroomia and those in the Bear Republic and hopefully, some of the manufacturing problems can be tackled.
Kreia
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

GRU underground command facilities, Omsk, Red Technocracy, 8:00 AM

A group of people sat in a darkened control room.

- Operation Dead Man initiated.

- We have a link.

- Supplies?

- They salvaged enough.

- How long until they reach destination?

- Might be days. Weeks. After that, they would face danger of dying without supplies, but hopefully they will find places to either rob or otherwise get food, if they dont' complete the mission still.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Nukistani DoD Press Release

Effective immediately, CVN-83 Maryland, CVN-84 Virginia and CVN-85 Delaware are redesignated as CVAN-83, CVAN-84, and CVAN-85.

The redesigination of them from Aircraft Carrier, Nuclear Powered, to Aircraft Carrier, Assault, Nuclear Powered reflects the results of the Denning Commission on the increase in assymetric threats, such as minefields and the increasing proliferation of fast attack craft by potential threat nations.

The existing Air Groups on each carrier currently consist of:

24 x F-14D Tomcats (2 x Heavy Fighter Squadrons)
36 x F-35 Lightnings (3 x Light Fighter Squadrons; Strike, fighter, EW)
4 x E-2C Hawkeye (Carrier Early Warning Squadron)
10 x S-3 Vikings (Air Anti-Submarine Squadron)
6 x H-60 Seahawks (Helicopter Anti Submarine Squadron)
80 x Aircraft Total

Interim Air Groups will be introduced, with the redesignation, consisting of:

24 x F-14D Tomcats (2 x Heavy Fighter Squadrons)
24 x F-35 Lightnings (2 x Light Fighter Squadrons; Strike, fighter, EW)
16 x CH-53E Sea Stallions (Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron)
12 x SH-60R Strikehawks (Helicopter Multi-Role Squadron, ASW, ASuW, Strike, Assault)
90 x Aircraft Total

The additional aircraft will enable CVANs to execute a multitude of missions, such as clearance of minefields, destruction of Fast Attack Craft, and also light assault missions with an embarked reinforced Marine Company. This was seen as a more cost effective measure than producing a specialized small helicopter carrier for the minefield/light assault mission.

The three Light Fighter Squadrons removed from sea duty in this reorganization will be placed into the inactive reserve center as spare aircraft for at-sea squadrons.

Additionally, the Multi-Role Heavy Naval Aircraft program has been formally announced. It will combine the roles of the Heavy and Light Fighter squadrons into a single airframe. Conceptually, this is what we think the MR-HNA will resemble:

It will be capable of carrying out the heavy interceptor role, replacing the F-14 Tomcats; as well as acting as an electronic warfare and reconnaisance platform and as a heavy strike aircraft. Performance is expected to be in the high Mach 2+ regime; possibly higher. IOC is expected to be around 2014; upon which the carrier air wings will be reorganized as follows:

Objective Air Group

48 x F-26A Vigilante IIs (4 x Heavy Multi-Role Squadrons)
16 x CH-53E Sea Stallions (Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron)
12 x SH-60R Strikehawks (Helicopter Multi-Role Squadron, ASW, ASuW, Strike, Assault)
90 x Aircraft Total
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

August 18th 2010
UKB Global Tracking Center, Kanagawa Air Station near Sigil

Sgt Davis looked up as the end of cycle pinged on his station. Another day, another six hundred miles of take.

The VAS computer(Visual Analysis System was not perfect, but it was decent at picking up unusual OBI's. "OBI" or Objects of Interest were items matching one of outlines in the computers databases. Some things were grouped. For example a group of T-72's parked in a yard would be standard and would be tagged as a low-priority military OBI. However if those T-72's were parked in an area flagged as residential they would be a much higher priority. The idea was to focus in the specialists in Kanagawa on unusual items to ensure the rapid informing of military intelligence.

This the images of hundreds of people on the beach and a a helicopter in frame flagged it high priority, the broken in two ship failed to register as it was an unknown outline. And the two times they had tried the VAS system to pickup unknown outlines it saw them everywhere, they got over five thousand in a twenty mile wide shot. Which is why they stuck to looking over the images themselves at know areas of interests, ports-bases and the like, while the line-operators would look at the OBI's and if not a unusual, they would notified the analysts up the chain.

Which is why four minutes after the pass had been completed Sgt Davis swore to himself and picked up a nearby-phone and dialed the OOD to inform him.

Two things came of this call.
One a dozen people were looking at the shot of close to three thousand Liberaltopia's being herded into what looked like rough POW camps surrounded by bard wire. They had a rough and temporary look to them. The images did not have enough detail to view people, all they could make out was the crowd and the haze that marked hastily layered coils of what looked like barbed wire, but was acutally razor wire.

That bit of information would have made a large difference in how long it took the second thing to happen, which was eight hours later after four more passes demonstrated the total lack of incoming supplies to the refugee's rough compound.

After the eight hours went by one of the analysts went home with a copy of four of the images in a folder. Technically he violated no rules because except during a Crisis any image of a non OMSK national security zone was not classified. In fact there was a government website where you could view from an Eagle eye some of week-old Landsat views. Technical was not good enough from MI-9's perspective, just because they were unclassified did not mean they were not sensitive. And in fact what he had done was a violation of his terms of contract to "safeguard the security of my country and think always on what effect my actions will have on my country and the world". The judge agreed with them.

And what did he do? Nothing much in the scheme of things, just take four photographs showing the hordes of refugee's being herded in then left overnight in barbed wire cordon's right on the beach in Saddamstain. Take the four photographs of that beach over eight hours, put them in a folder and mail them to his brother who worked in the Sigil branch of the BBC.

......The BBC went live with the story of the refugee's plight just noon. And the world's media erupted. ....

Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

General Alexander was quick to capitalize on the story of the refugees. He used it as an example of why he needed modern arms. Sadaamistan had already shown itself willing to strike in Libertopia. Given how Sadaamistan treated innocent refugees, he needed the technology to defend his own people. Alexander's agents didn't hold press conferences on the issue, but they did hold meetings with the world's diplomats.

There was no official comment from the Government of Indhopal on the matter, but indivdual MP's condemed Sadaamistan's mining activities and their consequences in general, and their handling of the refugees in particular..
The Yosemite Bear

somewhere:

thanks be to saddam, thought the lead submariner. The Republic Dolphin civilian work submersible was a non-military vehicle, and with a tow line, some welding equipment, one could cut off a moored sea mine, attach it to an electric powered sub, and head forward to sea lanes. The trick was simple, find a nice juicy target via your spotter, tow a mine into a collission course with the target, dive like hell and cut the line. You know things weren't so bad since the Wolf and them got kicked out of the Republic by that incompetitent emporer.

There the target was setting the motors to max power, the battery level dropped, but even with flat cells they could still surface no problem. now they dived, damn the Cells really must be flat, the diving wasn't going fast enough, ok Time to lose the dead weight, The Submariner flipped the toggle but nothing happened, he watched as seconds drew out too long, the target had started to pass over them, when the tow line became un-tangled, the mine rised to the middle of the keel of the cargo ship, the explosion breaking her spine, the shockwave too close for the small sub.

Gere looked out as the explosion shattered the target, she had cracked in half, and was sinking rapidly, after helping some of the survivors abourd his private launch, Gere on a whim tossed his personal Sat phone in amoung the wreckage, with the GPS Emergency TRANSMIT engaged. Hopefully the ISCA would assume he had died in this mine explosion and stop looking for him. The loss of a sub, and of the cargo of the container ship, was bad enough the only compensation would be a few slaves to bring back to Necropolis.