SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread II

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Re: SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread II

Post by Agent Sorchus »

I wonder if the Centrality Navy is well and capable of dealing with an increased atmosphere, after all Eoghan Vessels also run in to the bottom end of dangerously high for humans, and if there is anyone the Centrality is prepared to fight it is probably me.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Given the sheer enormous bulk of most people's large ships, a Light might well be fairly large, at least in principle. I don't think a special operations group of 100 men is at all unreasonable, especially on a stealth ship that would most likely be designed for the purpose of inserting such units. Granted that they may well be a large fraction of the ship's overall complement, but a company-sized marine detachment for a ship of thirty or forty points is hardly implausible.

Put another way, that's 0.05 points worth of troop capacity on a ship of 30 to 50 points. Seems fair to me.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Yeah, I too figured a company of troops on a dedicated spec-ops ship isn't out of the question.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Oh, I can roll with 100. I find it a bit excessive compared to the logical crew size, but I can roll with it.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Logical crew size is highly questionable in a warship when we consider that ships in this setting are supposed to be very large compared to their real life counterparts. When battleships are several kilometers long and destroyers of 5 to 10% their combat power have to be designed on a scale that makes such a thing plausible... crews are going to be big even when we allow for massive automation, unless we simply give up on the idea of having people present in all portions of the ship to monitor things.

We can do that, but at that point you need to add additional AI to the ship... and going down that road, a crew of hundreds becomes ridiculously large instead of small. So if Force Lord's destroyers have a crew of more like 500, I won't complain at all.

For reference, complement on US WWII-era destroyers was around or over 300.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

How large is this ship? It's not a question of AIs running it, but rather how many hands and feet are required when the ship gets damaged and you need a crew to fix the ship and run the ship. Never mind droids, or organics, a ship like a few hundred meters long is going to warrant a fairly large crew (1000 or so including droids) to run from end to end doing damage control.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Well, with AIs you can use subsentient remotes for a lot of the "crew" duties, but yeah, the need for a certain number of hands per cubic meter to work shipboard systems was a big factor in my mind.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Simon_Jester wrote:Well, with AIs you can use subsentient remotes for a lot of the "crew" duties, but yeah, the need for a certain number of hands per cubic meter to work shipboard systems was a big factor in my mind.
Well, someone has to monitor the AI, or at least have a finger on the backup switch, or something on the backup switch in case of failure, or take over if the AI fails.
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

I dunno about that. You could posit with equal validity that if the central AI is rendered inoperable the ship is a total loss as well. This is really all about the assumptions one makes about space warships, which can run the gamut from 'needs thousands of crew for every km of length' to 'is run by a handful of dudes and a single computer'. They're all just as valid insofar as I'm concerned, depending on what design philosophy your nation prefers.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

I do think that Space North Korea might be a little paranoid and on such a potentially sensitive mission send a higher than average number of ideological believers rather than not. ie Black Barrets easily enough to take over the ship if they think it necessary.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

EDIT: New Dr. Susie post up.
Siege wrote:I dunno about that. You could posit with equal validity that if the central AI is rendered inoperable the ship is a total loss as well. This is really all about the assumptions one makes about space warships, which can run the gamut from 'needs thousands of crew for every km of length' to 'is run by a handful of dudes and a single computer'. They're all just as valid insofar as I'm concerned, depending on what design philosophy your nation prefers.
Well, ideally you'd want decentralized computing- multiple AIs. One advantage of a robot battleship is that you can, in principle, design the ship to survive damage that would irradiate a human crew fatally or otherwise incapacitate them, by decentralizing the system. There's no logical reason to use a single huge central computer, or a single huge AI, as opposed to a delocalized AI "crew" with many computer cores capable of fighting the ship in a crisis.

And for less massive damage, there's a lot to be said for mobile damage-control remotes, be they biological or robotic.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Awwww.... poor Mayabirdies! v_______________v

But at least she is now far away from stupid-stupid Shepistan! ^________________________^
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Simon_Jester wrote:Well, ideally you'd want decentralized computing- multiple AIs.
Of course, I implicitly assumed as much. Certainly USSF warcraft are built that way: if you do enough damage to destroy the shipmind, you've probably reduced the ship to a half-molten hulk already, so damage control is pretty moot at that point.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

It is deadite vengeance night! 8)

Surrogates! Liberty Kincaid should now team up with a hard boiled Solarian cop who's too old for this shit:

Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Figured you'd do that :D

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Why is a Solarian cop wearing what looks like neoclassical Umerian clothes? Halloween costume party? Also,
Shroom Man 777 wrote:Awwww.... poor Mayabirdies! v_______________v

But at least she is now far away from stupid-stupid Shepistan! ^________________________^
I'm trying to explore some of the logical consequences of the arguments Shep presented when we were discussing the Blitzschlag Field issue back in June or July. They're unpleasant, but they weren't my idea in the first place...
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Simon_Jester wrote:Why is a Solarian cop wearing what looks like neoclassical Umerian clothes? Halloween costume party?
He is undercover!
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

You mean in terms of the Shepistani and Dominion societies being severely anti-ESPer?
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Well, yes, but that's only the start. I'll explore the effects-as-described in a bit more depth in my next chapter.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Image

Nero the bear? :lol:
Kreia
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Bragulan sociologists and environmentalists actually intended it to be this way. This was because during the first century of Imperator Darvyl S. Byzon's rule, many multi-centennial senior citizens had the audacity to demonstrate and fly banners "thanking" the Imperator for their "happy childhoods". When the commissars informed them that the Imperator hadn't even been born at that time, the seniors said that that was "exactly" their intention.
:D

Your training is complete! My young...apprentice!

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

PeZook wrote:
Bragulan sociologists and environmentalists actually intended it to be this way. This was because during the first century of Imperator Darvyl S. Byzon's rule, many multi-centennial senior citizens had the audacity to demonstrate and fly banners "thanking" the Imperator for their "happy childhoods". When the commissars informed them that the Imperator hadn't even been born at that time, the seniors said that that was "exactly" their intention.
:D

Your training is complete! My young...apprentice!
The post was a product of a rather demented conversation between me and Shroom, and as true Asians, I brought up the issue of old folks' homes, and things just went downhill from that point. :lol:
Kreia
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

That bit PeZook quoted was something I borrowed from one of his jokes at the Joke Thread, where SENIOR CITIZENS THANK COMRADE STALIN FOR THEIR HAPPY CHILDHOODS. :P
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Strange. I am having difficulty seeing things in my THRILLER post. I can't see the T-virus blue helix, can't see the MJ youtube, can't see the Nazi zombies (edited and replaced the picture, so now I can) and the Evil Ash.

Are the images working for everyone else? Cause, damn, I worked hard to compile them. :P

EDIT:

SHIT! I can't even see my sig right. Is my sig working?
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!