SD.Net World(RAR!) MK III

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Shinra Republic, Presidential Residence

Finally. No crowds, no more smiles and handshaking and speeches. The sightseeing trip was interesting, but after several hours of public appearances, the King welcomed the private dinner. Just the President, himself and his beloved Queen.

They disembarked from the limousine in the evening, with the sun setting beautifully behind a row of palm trees in the palace gardens. Paul helped his wife out of the limo, and they slowly walked through the gardens towards the presidential palace, aides in tow.

"This place is gorgeous. I can see why the Sultan enjoyed his stay...", Paul mused to nobody in particular

The President nodded in agreement. The entire party stopped briefly at a lakeside and enjoyed the view, despite the bodyguards stalking around, keeping an eye out for danger.

Paul kissed his wife on the cheek as the sun went down behind the hills, and turned to the aides.

"Thank you. That will be all for today. Kamila, please make sure tomorrow's itinerary gets to me by seven in the morning."
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

News from the Shadow Empire

"Caesar I arrives"

After delays in construction, due to recent world events, the "Caesar I" finally arrives. "This is the first step in increasing the power of the Imperial Navy"- said the Emperor in an interview today.

Imperial Olympics Team Arrives at Canissia

The Shadow Empire's Olympic team will be participating in all contests.

Imperial Soccer Team
Meet Jelena a pro wrestler.
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

Air Force News

Shinra Instructor pilots. training simulators and equipment arrived today. This the first stage of a pilot training program to equip and train the imperial air force.
Shadow pilots will be trained to use the recently acquired F/A-18E
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

The Battalion
Re-Org continues at Department of Defense

The ongoing re-organization of the Armed Forces continued today, as the Trigon announced that two armored divisions would be shed from the Army, leaving a total of one left. An armored BCT will be created for the National guard, but the majority of the equipment will be put in storage, and the excess personnel will either transfer to other units or to another service if qualified, or given administrative discharges.

As the army shrinks, it looks as if the Air Force will be growing in size and mission. National Strategic Command announced today that a long-range strategic bomber wing centered around the a bomber derived from the X-12 BLACK COLT will be brought into service. During the recent crisis no Army units except the 1st Airborne saw combat, and the LSRAF found it's options limited, indeed most of the long range strike aircraft came from the LSRN.

The 1st Strategic Wing will have 33 B-12s and add a great deal of warfighting capability to the LSR
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

ROYAL CANISSIAN GENERAL STAFF HEADQUARTERS

The King was going to head back to the Olympic City tomorrow morning, but before departing he wanted to discuss the allocations of shipbuilding with his Admiralty.

Admiral Ken Hurvitz, Naval chief of staff, accompanied him and they went through the numbers.

"We have a grand total of 1,200,000 tons of shipbuilding potential," the Admiral said, "We've allocated a lot of that to civilian needs, but we've neglected the Navy-- and after the South Seas battle, and the stretching fo forces at Neverhood, as well as having to replace ships lost in combat, we need to prioritize military shipbuilding."

"And I wanted to wait and see what the Admiralty's 'lesson's learned' reports had to say, and reflect on them a bit, before making any decisions," the King said, making sure they were on the same wavelength. "I agree with the idea of not relying on small minesweepers-- they are, as you wrote in your report, small, dedicated ships that can't really be used for anything else. I originally wanted twelve of the Type-332 class, but now I am going to cut that to six total, and cap it at that."

"Good, sir," Admiral Hurvitz said, looking relieved, "I was going to suggest about six or eight, max. Frigate and Destroyer-mounted ROVs can greatly enhance minesweeping duties, but I want to have some dedicated ship so a multi-million ROB ship isn't tied down on janitorial duty." A midshipman brought them a tray of coffee and snacks, which the King helped himself to.

"Okay, and this means we can finally move on those replenishment ships," the King said, "I want four Type-404 Elbe-class small craft replenishers, and two of the big Type-702 Berlin-class fleet replenishment ships built. Can we handle that?"

"Yes, sir," Admiral Hurvitz said, doing some quick calculations on his clipboard, "We have capacity left for those ocean-going tugs."
"Let's go with four Powhatans, then," Arik said, "How many of the Anuket /Block-II's are being built?"
"Four new hulls, Excellency," the Admiral said, "And the four already launched have been brought back and are being modified for Block-II standards, so that's eight total that we'll have at the end of the year."

"Good, good," Arik said, pleased as he sipped his coffee, "All that's left is our new Neptune assault ship. How's that coming?"
"Should be done in a few months," Admiral Hurvitz said. "That will leave us with... lessee..." he scrawled on his clipboard. "About... 508,638 left for ISCA construction."

"Excellent," Arik said, "Let's get cracking."

Results: Shipbuilding for the year allocated.
Available: 1,200,000 tons per year.
1 Neptune being built (-303,750; 896,250 left)
4 Anukets upgraded to Bl-II (-16,800; 879,450 left)
4 Anuket Block-IIs (-16,800; 862,650 left)
4 Type 404 Elbe (-71,720; 790,930 left)
4 ATF-166 Powhatan (-41,612; 749,318 left)
2 Type 702 Berlin (-202,400; 546,918 left)
6 Type 332 Minesweepers (-38,280; 508,638 left for ISCA)
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Off the Map

this is pitcher are you ready Batter, Ref. and Catcher?

all go

we have launches, Batter, Catcher your balls are loose your balls are loose.

Ref. can you assist?

Ok, from the looks of it, that Microwave Laser airhsip mounted heavy is the way to go. lets get back home and enjoy some coldones. Why? we've got them right here.

Elsewhere the Bear Republic Senate confirmed Emporer Colin's adopted son "Jason" while the Emporer is still in his "Condition" no word on how long that may last.

Barad-dùr launch facility seeks permission from neighbors to launch an experiemental package into near orbit. The payload will consist of "Mr. Jenkins" the Republic's most feared house pet. Featured on "Pet Exorcist", "Total Bastard", and other shows. Exactly HOW scientists intend to get the cat into the capsul is unknown, but genetically engineered catnip may be involved.

Thank you, and today's news is brought to you by the folks at MAD Vest, and "My Precious" brand Coffee.

Later in sports well show you how our locals did in the Swordfighting compettition, as well as the mixed martial arts.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Aviation Leak

Peace Department Reorganization Continues

The Army announced that it would continue it's force draw downs, in the interests of budget reallocation internal to the Peace Department. Next on the chopping block are six Armored Regiments, as well as three Sustainment Regiments. These Regiments, like the Mechanized Infantry Regiment drawdowns, will consist of putting the majority of the regiment on reserve status. Personnel rotations are expected to occur before the units are turned into reservists. These changes leave the TXA with only 3 Armored Regiments. Lastly, the Army is planning to stand up a new regiment, which they are calling a Rocket Artillery Regiment. It is unknown what this Regiment will be equipped with.

In the Air Force, plans have been announced to increase the size of the Air Defense Wings to 54 planes each. Additionally, the 2nd Bomb Wing will be increased in size, and it's squadrons geographically dispersed. In conjuction with the LSRAF order of Tu-160s, Douglas will be producing a total of 57 aircraft. Plans are for 2 aircraft to be delivered each month after the line goes through a low rate start-up period. The aircraft are a further modification of the Tian Xia modified Tu-160, with uprated engines, and a lengthened bomb bay.

An additional transport squadron will be stood up to own the C-46 Pelican ultra large transport. These transports will support future heavy transport needs. It's been proposed that the TXAF rent out the transports for rapid very heavy lift requirements.

On the naval aviation side of the house, new build F-35Cs continue to be acquired. The F-35Cs acquired from the UKB are apparently destined for the MESS carrier group, still in the formation stages. F-35Bs are also slowly being acquired.

For the Navy, no sweeping changes are in store. The CSGN will soon be commissioned, along the the AKE. Plans have been announced for a buy of amphibious assault ships after the CSGNs are all commissioned. It is unknown how many, or what exact type will be bought.

LSR Air Force announces buy of tankers

The Lone Star Republic Air Force has announced plans to buy 6 KC-45s from Douglas Aircraft. The aerial refueling planes are required for the LSRAF B-12 project. Delivery is expected to being in the next 3 months.

TXAF announces failure of Alois-1 spacecraft

The Alois-1 satellite tumbled after launch, throwing it into an uncontrolled multi-axis spin. The damage resulting from the failure may cause uncommanded manuevers by the satellite. The Air Force stresses that the satellite will re-enter of its own accord within the next couple of months, and an ASAT launch would be both unneccessary and unwelcome. The Air Force refuses to state the nature of the satellite.

In related news, the TXAF announced the successful launch of additional DSP satellites. The announced locations put the satellites pointing at empty stretches of ocean.

Starbooster Makes First Launch

The Starbooster 10 launch vehicle successfully launched a nanosat today into Low Earth Orbit. The nanosat was designed to conduct further investigation into electrodynamic tethers. Both Starbooster flight vehicles successfully landed at Glenn Launch Complex in Tian Xia.

---

Dining Hall
Imperial Palace
Tian Xia
Lunch Time

"Char siu bau?" asked the waitress.

"Ah, yes. And some ha gau and shumai as well." Beowulf turned towards his dining companions. "Where were we? Oh yes, the Mjolnir-S satellite."

"Mjolnir-S launched successfully. Tumble was precisely as predicted. No one's going to believe that's an operational satellite. Had to be a bit oddly designed, but no one's going to notice it really. There've been odder satellites. We're sending commands to it through the TRDSS satellites. So far, it appears to be compensating for it's spin admirably. We're going to continue to do a couple in orbit manuevers, then drop it somewhere safe before someone gets too suspicious of it," responded the CSAF.

"Great. What about the HGVs?"

"Thiokol is still working on the booster. Should be completed in a couple more months. The first silos are almost ready. The one at Black Sands is complete, and will be doing test fires as soon as the first test missile rolls off the line," replied Gen Qin.

"How many vehicles are there on a booster?"

"Thiokol is sizing them to fit four. Makes for a large and heavy missile. Debussing will occur immediately after second stage burnout. After debussing, the third stage will ignite, bring the vehicles to their maximum velocity."

"Good."

"The Starbooster project is proceeding to schedule. One of the Lockmart engineers wants to modify a vehicle for a different engine type. He calls the engine an independant stream ramjet. Says it's a type of RBCC."

"Does it look like it will work?"

"Probably. His analysis says that the launch stack will be reduced to a single flight vehicle, and will still be able to carry seven times the load to LEO."

"Should be interesting."
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Imperial Chronicles

The Emperor waited on the tarmac as the Sultan walked off the aircraft. With him were the Grand Mufti and Basil Al Saleh and the Ecumenical Patriarch. As the Sultan approarch, the Emperor walked and greeted the Sultan in the traditional Arab way. "Salam Aleikum. Welcome to the Byzantine Empire, my dear Sultan," spoke the Emperor in flawless Arabic. The Sultan was rather taken aback by the use of Arabic. "All Byzantine Emperors, at least since a few centuries ago, are expected to converse with his subjects in their native tongue if required, be it Greek, Turkish, or Arab." The Emperor smiled as he spoke in Arab.

"Salam Aleikum. Thank you for your invitation to visit Antioch. I have heard much of the place. It is a place where Christians and Muslims live together, and the greatest Mosque in the world current resides here."

"Why yes, the Sultanahmet Camii. One of the great architectural wonders of the Byzantine Empire. We are just about to bring you there." The Sultan was greeted by the rest of the Emperor's entourage, though the Patriarch was a little edgy. Patriarch Ramsley had told him about some of the Sultan's fits of mania, and he wasn't all too comfortable talking to the Sultan.

The entourage went to Antioch proper and visited the Sultanahmet Camii. There the Sultan was breathless before the beauty and sheer size of the Mosque. "Truly, this is the most beautiful Mosque I have ever set my eyes on," he said. The Sultan prayed, and then was brought to the Emperor's palace at Antioch. After some feasting and Hashish, it was finally down to business.

"Let me be clear, I currently hold Ramsley with a tight leash, but I expect you to do the same with your own people. Such a fatwa should never again be repeated. While I understand your frustration over the violation of your territory, issuing fatwas of that variety invites not jus religious fanaticism but maniacs like President Sheppard of Shepnukistan. While the Byzantine Empire would like to aid and help bring about a stable Terra Libertia, such proclaimations of jihad are not helpful and actually endanger the stability of your state, as you yourself just discovered. We hope that instead of war, there will be peace. I believe Patriarch Ramsley also shares this view as well," said the Emperor.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Ministry of Proliferation Announcement

We now offer for sale:
- R-17 tactical missile (w or w/o mobile launcher). 700 km range.
The missile, which is commonly known as SCUD, is one of the cheapest and most affordable ballistic missiles. Can carry a variety of payloads. Background check before sale. No checks within the FUN. $80 000 per missile, $100 000 per launch complex.

- Kh-90 HELA hypersonic M=5 cruise missile or drone vehicle. 3000 km range.
Due to large internal orders on the order of hundreds, the production of these $3-4 million per missile machines is becoming available to the bidders. However, background evaluatin will be in order before sale. FUN deployment will be ran according tto the JASD principles.

- SM-33 hyper-longrange guns. 127 to 200 km range.
Production of railroad SM-41 batteries carrying the SM-33 gun has resumed under the tensions and now the excess stock has to be sold. Shells can carry a variety of payloads. $500 000 per gun. No checks.

Ministry of Import Announcement

The Red Technocracy will import high-grade sulphur to meet the ever-growing demands of it's home chemical industry.
Last edited by K. A. Pital on 2008-06-11 04:42am, edited 1 time in total.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Constantinople Times

Constantinople Shipyards offers a low-cost Stealth frigate designed to cater the needs of nations with smaller budgets

Not all nations can afford frigates such as the F-100 which is too expensive for the average Duchy. The F-100 ships are obviously impressive for their size and abilities, but small nations have more modest budgets and can't afford a ship with all the bells and whistles.

For that purpose, Constantinople Shipyards offers the Kortenaer-class frigates (French La Fayette analogs) for 300million. At 3000 tonnes approximate, she is equiped with up to 32 Aster 15/32 missiles and other armnament. The Herakles multifunction radar is a phased array radar which provides survelliance and fire-control. The ship can be outfitted with a variety of engines, including all-diesel engines. The ships can be outfitted also with CIWS defence systems, RAM etc. as well.

Kortenaer-class

Last edited by Fingolfin_Noldor on 2008-06-11 11:45am, edited 1 time in total.
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

PRAVDA: a 2,4-ton meteosatellite was launched from Korolev Spaceport by a "Soyuz-2" booster with Breeze-M last stage accelerator into GTO over the Red Technocracy, reaching GSO on the next day

It is said that the task of the satellite is a 24hr surveillance of the Archipelago territory to determine the waterflows and weather patterns.

It is also said that the Red Technocracy is readying to launch it's ALMAZ-1 station - the first long-term inhabited space station of Terra Nova, and the base module for the FUN Space Station (FSS) project - into orbit next week. It's cosmonaut crew of three will be raised later in a "Soyuz-TMA" ship.

Rumors swirl that in these uneasy times, the cosmonauts will be given personal laser handguns. The task of those special-issue laser handguns would be defending from a satellite or cosmonaut attack in open space. Sadly, in the current state of affairs, even the bold explorers of space will have to be armed.
Last edited by K. A. Pital on 2008-06-11 05:56am, edited 2 times in total.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

The Mushroom Military Messenger
GREAT GUNS

The MacMillan design team that created the Shroomanian Stonehenge have now unveiled a new tactical weapons system for the long-ranged mobile-warfare needs of the future.

Rail Guns.

Great guns that roll on rails.

With a range of 200 kilometers and with a bore width of 1000 mm capable of launching multi-purpose warheads. For half a million dollars, it is similar to the Red Technocracy's SM-41 batteries, but different!

The rail guns even come complete with complementary rail defense systems:

Rail-based point defense systems.

A more modest system is a rolling defense platform that can carry a variety of defensive and offensive systems - primarily a Phalanx minigun system, though it can be outfitted with various SHORAD weaponry, from the PeZookian Loara to the Shroomanian ADATs, to GLAMRAAMs and SLAMRAAMs to even the renowned Blackbeard batteries. It can also be armed with mortars or MLRS systems.

The train itself sells for under half a million dollars (FUN discount), while additional weapons systems have varying prices.

Lastly, but not the least, is the return of the Shroomanian Stonehenge project.

Shroomanian soldiers prepare for yet another test-run of the Stonehenge.

Based on the Projects HARP and Babylon of Earth That Was, these massive guns boast a range of 750 kilometers and the capacity to deliver formidable payloads. The Mushroom Military is ordering the construction of four more Stonhenge cannons.

The MacMillan Multicorporation has announced that the Stonhenge guns are available for sale within and without the FUN.

The Sovereign Shroomanian Sentinel
LASER LIGHTSHOW

The Shroomania-Red Technocracy Friendship Tower lights the sky up in a display of luminescence.

Crowds of spectators wooed and oohed as the Shroomania-Red Technocracy Friendship Tower dazzled them with a brilliant laser lightshow.

The awesome sideshow was a spectacle to celebrate the victory of the Shroomanian Stallion over the Red Technocracy's Ivan Drago, as both Shroomanian and Red Technocratic engineers aboard the Tower paid tribute to the physical feats and spectacles of their sports heroes.

Across Shroomania, there were similar laser lightshows and fireworks displays to honor the Olympic Victory.

When the laser show was initiated, the joint Shroomanian-Red Technocratic staff of the Tower announced:

"Commence Primary Ignition."
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

ISCA bulletin - FY2011

Wilkonia and Byzantium welcome into ISCA after member vote!

After a majority member vote, Byzantium and Wilkonia have been admitted into ISCA structures. They will participate in the great endeavor to construct commercial ships for use by all mankind!

The admission ceremony is to be held in Sofia, Shroomania, and all ISCA nations are invited to send in their representatives.

The admission of Wilkonia and Byzantium also allows the ISCA to construct two new revolutionary ships: The Wilkonian Container Ships, a huge vessel capable of carrying thousands of 20 foot containers, and smaller Byzantine container carriers. Both ships will incorporate the latest technologies, including GPS and inertial navigation, Panic Room standard bridges, extensive automation and ISCA weapons packages, tested on pirate boats worldwide, including the world-renowned ultrasonic non-lethal Pain Inducer, installed on FCS, FCS-L, ACV and Coast Guard series of ships.

Specifications of both ships will follow in the ISCA Budget Bulletin.

First ever NPS to be constructed at Shroomanian ISCA shipyards

The keel of the first ever Nuclear Passenger Ships of ISCA design (The Shepnukistani USS Savannah holds the title of the first nuclear-powered passenger ship on Nova Terra) has been laid in Shroomania.

The massive ship, ordered as a joint venture between Shroomania and PeZookia, will be outfitted with an array of scientific equipment, and mount the first-ever long-range expedition to the far side of Nova Terra, circumnavigating the globe as it explores the myriad of small islands littering the vast ocean which covers most of our fair world.

It is hoped that this expedition will both promote nuclear power as a safe way to run commerial ships, and advance the scientific understanding of our planet and its environment.

The ship will also serve as a mobile tracking station for the FUN space program during its journey. It is estimated that the NPS will be completed by the end of FY2011, and that the expedition will take between eight and ten months.

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

The Finance Ministry has once again released the following data on PeZookia's status in FY2010.

Code: Select all

Economic data:
GDP for FY2010 (bln USD): 71.992
GDP per capita: 14 222 USD
GDP growth in FY2010: 3.5% (greatly reduced by tax increases)
Inflation: 2% (severe drop because of tax reform curbing rampant credit)

Demographic:
Current population: 5 062 000
Population below poverty line: 13% (dropping thanks to social and education programs)
Percentage of higher education: 20% (exchange students returning)
Average household income: 980 dollars

Budget:
Planned spending as % of GDP: 15.79% (6% increase from FY 2010 due to taxes)
Total planned public debt Jan 2012: 688.39 million (0.96% GDP)
Planned deficit spending FY2011: 119.9 million (0.16% GDP)
Costs of servicing the public debt: 68.8 million/year

Total income(bln USD):  11.3699

Income tax	        6
Sales tax	        3.4
Tarrifs	                0.4
Vice tax	        1
Fine, other minor srcs	0.3
Sale of Loara license	0.15
ISCA dividend	        Unknown yet, but will go towards public debt payments.
Obligation sales        0.1199

Total spending(bln USD): 11.3699

Social security	        2.4
Medical services	1.8
Education	        1.6
Military	        1.84725
Police, firefighting	1
Obligation payment	0.02265
Infrastructure	        1.2
Investment in industry	0.9
Veteran's fund ; Olympics comittee ; Restorian of Astoria International	0.3
FART fund        	0.2
ISCA 	                0.1
FCS purchase (5)	0.1
Respresentative         0.1
Other	                0.1

Industry investment breakdown:

Shelter construction	0.4
Subsidies for electronics industry	0.2
FUN space program	0.5
Overall, the massive increase in spending resulted in lower economic growth (taxes raised costs of operating most enterprises), but this is a temporary slump. Tax reforms actually killed rampant inflationary growth, and massive increases in consumer credit costs murdered unhealthy rampant consumption before too many people accumulated debt. What you see now, the 3.5% in GDP is the "real" growth of the economy, as opposed to increased consumption revenues financed with credit.

Overall, the tax reform was a success, though it caused no end of headaches with protests and even a coup attempt. Increased tax revenue allowed the government to start properly financing medicine and education and social services - 2.5%, 2.22% and 3.33% of GDP respectively is the planned size for FY2011. Military spending increase is temporary, because of equipment costs for the new airmobile batallion to become part of the FART. Infrastructure encompasses subway projects (hardened), hardening of basements and buildings and a multi-year program of railway upgrades and expansion,police and firefighting includes massive civil defence equipment purchases.

Taxes will raise again in FY2011, with streamlining of the administration and some more hikes in VAT on luxury goods. Total spending should top out at about 18-20% GDP.
Last edited by PeZook on 2008-06-12 02:36am, edited 1 time in total.

Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

OLYMPIC CITY, CANISSIA
TRACK & FIELD EVENTS

Canissian athletes are doing well in the Track & Field events, with Phil Rickerson the favorite among the Relay team. The sprinter was discovered at Canissian Royal University on a track scholarship and is definitely the strongest link in the team, making up for some time lost to the Saddamistan runner Khalid abd'al-Mansoor.

Women's javelin currently is dominated by Canissian favorite Jina Rall, who served some time in the Aerelon militia where she earned awards for grenade throws. She grew up on sandlot baseball and many expected her to join this years baseball events, but instead devoted her time to javelin and shot-put.

Meanwhile, foot race competitions in general are the purview of Jamal Khoury, a young man from Scorpia, who loved running through the dirt tracks of his desert home province. He's not as comfortable on the prepared track, though, but is expected to do well in the cross-country events.

Continuing coverage of the 1st NovaTerran Olympics will resume, courtesy of our commentators, Mike Kowolsky and Rob Bingman.

And remember our sponsors, folks-- the people who make it all come together for us here. This time we'd like to put the shout out to a local Canissian company, Kahlua Krispies-- remember, "Kahluah-- it's not just for breakfast anymore!" Tasty, delicious and creamy-rich, with just a hint of vodka, Kahlua Krispies can be enjoyed at any time.

And what's the Olympics without the competition? We also have Kahlua Krispies' chief competitor, aho is also sponsoring the Olympics-- Flaccid Rice Ovals. Yes, sir, when you want the taste of flaccid rice in your mouth, who do you go to? Why, Flaccid Rice, of course!
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Constantinople Times

Government finally releases FY 2011 budget.

Last year was a year of tumultuous events. Government spending rose significantly. As such, this year's expenditure has been radically adjusted.

FY2011, the economy grew by 2.0% to 403 billion, which is amazing considering the grotesque government expenditure. Income Tax is now set to be up to 30% and VAT is 10%. Government has decided to pair down expenditure to 30% of the economy, with the following allocations

R&D --- 28%
Defence --- 26%
Education --- 13%
Health Care --- 15%
Infrastructure/Trade/Energy --- 18%

R&D Expenditure is as follows (in billions):
Space (Space Platform program) -- 3.5
Quantum Information Institute -- 1
Nuclear Energy Institute -- 1
Particle Physics (Bear Republic's SuperCollider) -- 2
Material Science -- 1
Basic Science -- 4
Biomedical Research -- 6
Military -- 5
Engineering -- 10
Others -- 0.02
Total: 33.52 billion.

As per FY2010, the fiber optics network was laid in a contract issued to Byzantium Telecommunications. The Algae biofuel plant has been completed and is producing approximately 10 million barrels of oil a year. Production is expected to ramp up to 100 million barrels in lieu of further research and testing. We expect our algae plant, funded under the auspices of the Ministry of Science & Technology and Ministry of Trade & Development and Ministry of Energy. We also plan to construct a second FBR reactor pending review of the 1.6MWe FBR reactor now in operation. We expect to look into launching satellites by the end of next year as the Space Platform project progresses.
Kreia
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Angel Air Force Base, Scorpia

Stealth Drone testing complete--

Air Force Chief of Staff General William "Billy" McReady read the report with great satisfaction-- after years of work and effort, the drone program was coming to fruition.

Canissian defense philosphy was, primarily, just that-- a defense philosophy. The PRC had very little by means of power projection, beyond the Navy, which was primarily composed of Destroyers and Frigates, with only a handful of five Cruisers.

That mean a defecit of heavy, long-range, strategic bombers. The Royal Air Force was a mix of a few expensive-but-powerful F-22 designs, and a number of F-35s filling in various specialty roles, such as Carrier and V/STOL roles. The RAF really did not have a long strategic reach... until now.

Gen. McReady had been reluctant going into the drone program-- he knew Air Force culture, and th efighter jocks would be disdainful, if not outright contemptuous, of robots creeping into their realm of flight and glory. He carefully pitched the 'strategic bomber' angle, since he also knew that the self-same fighter jocks also were not motivated to fly slower, lumbering 'bomb trucks', either. By selling them on the idea of letting robots do the un-glamorous but important job instead, he found the idea embraced warmly.

In truth, though, there were going to be drone fighters, and while everyone knew it, it was going to be kept low on the radar. Drone fighters would be used for dull station-keeping missions, for quick-response air strikes, and support of the Army-- another thing the usual fighter stud found beneath him. "Let the Marines pick branches out of their intakes," they'd typically snort.

But as was typical of the military and weapons procurement, by the time something went from drawing board to deployment, it was already behind the times, and so too was it true with the drone program. He placed the personal, Top-Secret message from His Majesty, the King Arik Coyotus-I on the desk next to his Air Force R&D report, and thought about the potential ramifications, both good and bad, of the next phase of the drone idea...

Naval Headquarters, Portlandia

Admiral Ken Hurvits had his own letter from the King to ponder. He was to work on a joint Navy/Marine/Air Force program-- and part of that program involved contacting the Red Technocracy and talking about something teh Admiral had always had a secret interest in-- the Ekranoplan.

He studied a model he had on his bookshelf-- the Ekranoplan was a wonderful device, he'd always thought, a hybrid plane-ship that would allow for incredibly fast travel over the seas. Troops, supplies, you name it... the possibilities are endless...

Currently, heavy-lift capability was limited to either monster aircraft like the C-5 and C-17 family-- fast, but costly-- and the Zeppelins, which were in turn cheap, but slow. An Ekranoplan would be an excellent mid-point between the two. He knew that Ekranoplans had been briefly considered for speedy passenger service between the Red Technocracy and Canissia, before the Straits Bridge was under construction... the bridge shoved the Ekranoplan idea aside, but now it was making a bit of a comeback.

Well, we are kinda picking up more force-projection in areas like the Neverhood... and we're trying to apply the lessons learned from the war with off-the-shelf tech...

He gazed at the model, and finally started getting ready to make the contacts to the Red Technocracy.

The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Bear Navy constructs 4 pirate vessels.

metal hulled, with wood facades, three masted ships, with alcohol fueled generators capable of charging batteries, turning DC screws. EAch vessel having approximatly 400 tons of displacement, and armed with 50 eight pound guns.

Smeone laugh but the Bears have decided to make some more Pirate Movies on location in seas infested with real pirates. just how well can these pseudo-relics survive?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Port New Hadera; West Neverhood

The freighter brought in the West Neverhood's latest addition: a set of one-dozen Wolfsburg Motors TM-500 automated mining robots. The large robots were six-wheeled types, squat and beetle-like, and intended to bore through the rock of the Dragonspine Mountains to get to mineral deposits deep underground. They were designed for remote teleo-operation, and could go as far as 300 kilometers away before needing a booster signal from either a tower or a satellite.

They'd been imported from the People's Republic of Canissia for a hefty price, but the mine-bots were ideal for the harsh conditions that existed deep underground. They were an offshoot tech of the Canissian Army's automated Combat Engineering vehicles tested at Fort Garou, and this was to be the family's first real test.

The University campus had expanded, and minerology departments were expanding, as well as a votech school for mining. The Nahal engineer brigade took interest in the minebots as possible construction vehicles for building subways, eventually, as well.

Canissian Robotics/Ofek Automation Industries Announces New Robot for Space Use
Ofek INdustries has rolled out a new prototype robot for general space exploration use. The robot, called Dextre, has a variety of tools on it and would be fit to the outside of any space craft or space station for use as a repair or research robot.

Dextre can also have arms removed and replaced with other appendages for a variety of different missions. All-research versions or all-repair versions can be used on the same basic chassis.

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Presidential Palace, Shinra Republic

It had been a long day, as usual, but now it was over. He was now relatively at peace, sipping a fine wine from Byzantium with King Paul.

"So, a heckuva long day, huh? Nothing unusual about that," grinned Paul.

"Indeed. You know, today has reminded me of my initial hopes for this place. Peace and cooperation. Working together for the betterment of all." He smiled ruefully. "What an idealistic moron I turned out to be, huh?"

Paul nodded, but chose to not respond. He had a feeling Rufus wasn't done yet.

"You know, it's amazing, isn't it? Back on SDNet, there were all these grand plans: how to make the world better, if only we were in charge? You remember those threads?" Paul nodded, and Rufus continued. "And now, look at where we are. Sure some of us have worked together. But there's been an awful lot of fighting, an awful lot of tensions....and some of those have cost good people their lives."

Rufus just shook his head again, a tired sigh escaping from him. "How the fuck did this happen?"
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

RogueIce wrote: "You know, it's amazing, isn't it? Back on SDNet, there were all these grand plans: how to make the world better, if only we were in charge? You remember those threads?" Paul nodded, and Rufus continued. "And now, look at where we are. Sure some of us have worked together. But there's been an awful lot of fighting, an awful lot of tensions....and some of those have cost good people their lives."

Rufus just shook his head again, a tired sigh escaping from him. "How the fuck did this happen?"
"I always reflect that we, as humans, aren't anywhere near as separated from our roots as we'd like to be. There is anger, agressiveness and territoriality in all of us. Then there comes information and resource inequality, and fear. Shep spent all this time studying nuclear warfare...and for him, the world is like a nuclear war plan, with people ready to jump him at the slightest opportunity...and since he doesn't know if it's true or not, he has to assume it's true."

Paul sipped from a glass of coke. A simple drink, but a pleasant one nonetheless.

"Then there are people here who are just normal, you know? Just normal folks, with their own desires and dreams, and some of them are maladjusted and agressive. Shep can burn the world down, but petty idiots can ruin things on a smaller scale. Just like on the old Earth."

He sighed, watching the palm trees swing in the wind.

"It all comes down to inefficiency. Language is inefficient ; Our brains are inefficient ; the way we learn and grow is inefficient. But this also makes us human, with all the little failings."

"A shame. But, ultimately, we're not dead yet, are we?"

Coiler
Jedi Knight

Post by Coiler »

Thousands of Shepnukistani civilians fleeing civil war

The seas between Shepnukistan, its Neverhood territories, and Canissia have been filled with boats and ships of various sizes, all carrying refugees fleeing the nation's civil war. The Coilerburg Northern Squadron has been doing its best to help guide the often dangerously overloaded ships to port, but some their efforts and those of the Canissian navy are in vain, as the number of rescue missions from sunk vessels demonstrates.

An especially tragic occurence happened when a dangerously overloaded fishing boat headed for Pearl Point capsized quickly in rough seas, killing over 110 Shepnukistani refugees. When a Coilerburg patrol boat reached it, it only found five survivors, one of whom died shortly after being pulled on board.

"These people are desperate to get out of this terrible war. We will help as many as we can, but there's only so much that we can do."-John Coleson, commander of the Coilerburg Northern Squadron.

Coilerburg wins first medal in Olympics

In wrestling, Coilerburg's Isaac Ying put a surprisingly strong performance that earned him a bronze medal. The news of the country's first Olympic medal brought cheers throughout Coilerburg.
Visitor of five museum ships.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

PeZook wrote:"A shame. But, ultimately, we're not dead yet, are we?"
"No, we're not. And it's been a huge effort to make it that way. From a lot of us, across national and even alliance boundries."

He looked into his glass, collected his thoughts, and continued. "It's been real hard, you know? Sometimes I feel like a tiny voice, trying to calm things down, when much louder voices are shouting to start tearing down everything we've tried to build. But then other tiny voices start to emerge, until together, we manage to drown out even the loudest of the angry ones."

"That's usually the way it works," Paul mused.

"Yes, it is. And I want to thank you, you and the FUN. Without you guys, I fear we probably would have had a shooting war by now. But with your voices, it's a huge help."

"We try our best," Paul smiled.

"You know, I can understand it. The FUN is both large, and small. A lot of your membership comes in the form of Duchies. They have to know the simply reality: if the big boys get angry enough, they could get squashed like a bug. So you banded them together, an alliance of the little guys. First the FUNGAL Axis and LUN, and now the FUN. But even with that, the danger remains. After all, the Shinra Republic can take some hits and recover. The Shadow Empire, Langley, even our own Baal...a hard enough hit and they're out of it.

"And that, I think, is why the FUN has worked like it does. If some of your members started trouble, they'd be in for it, big time. So they don't. You have them work together, build up their economies, and stay out of trouble as much as you can."

"But the MESS is different," Paul interrupted. "You guys are plenty big enough for all of us."

"Yeah, we are. That's probably how we seem to get into trouble so much. But then, sometimes we have to. The world needs somebody to look after the little guy. Otherwise the big nations like Shepnukistan and Saddamistan would just have their way and crush anyone who tried to oppose them. We try to be that barrier, but it carries a heavy price.

"So far when anyone's started trouble, the MESS has been there, in one way or another. And that, unfortunately, makes us target number one for those who wish to use force of arms to get their way around here. It's a helluva thing, isn't it?"
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

The Battalion
CROSSHAIRS '11 gets underway off the Northeast Coast of the LSR

CROSSHAIRS '11, the annual MESS-wide exercise, began this week in the Sabine Sea off the Northeast Coast of the Lone Star Republic and in between Wilkonia and Tian Xia.

"The theme this year is 'Full Spectrum Threats in the 21st Century'." SECDEF Eric DiBacco said in a press briefing. "We will be performing disaster relief, fighting militias, conducting naval operations, and simulating a nuclear attack on MESS units."

Secretary DiBacco confirmed that non-MESS nations will also be participating in the exercise, although he did not specify which.

The
Palo Duro Strike group will be the main LSRN assets participating in the exercise. The TXN Victoria and her battle group paid a port call to Beaumont before the start of the exercise. It is expected that several other MESS major combatants will be participating as well.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

[OOC; I'm gonna skip ahead to the end of the civil war, I'm lazy]

Republic of Nukistan announced

Former President Garner of the Republic of Shepnukistan has been installed as the first President of the Republic of Nukistan following the end of the Nukistani Civil War [anyone come up with a better name?]; a war in which tons of people died; blah blah.

Garner and his loyalists were only saved at the last minute from total annihilation from Sheppard loyalists by the UKB declaring that they were under their protection.

RON OBAT

1,000 Tanks
1,000 IFVs
15 x PATRIOT Batteries
1,800 artillery pieces
73 x F-22s
48 x B-1Cs
70 x KC-10s
1 x E-4B
4 x CG-47 (seized from Shepnukistani Reserve Fleet, mainly inoperative)
8 x DDG-51 (seized from Shepnukistani Reserve Fleet, mainly inoperative)
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944