Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Re: SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread I

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Simon_Jester wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:[Contemplates possibility of making a genetic modification to the hair follicles on the scalp, which are somatic cells, without making the same modification to the gametes]
[Makes note to suggest this to some nation better at genetics than we are]
Perhaps a Inquisitor diplomat from the Imperium can pay a visit. :wink:
Well, it should totally be possible to do that. The problem is finding a technique that's minimally invasive, because you don't want to spend two or three weeks in the hospital while your new scalp grows back just to change the color of your hair. At that point, permanent dye is a much better option.
Well, there's always the possibility of using exotic biotechnologies, and the Imperium will gladly lend the resources of the Adeptus Mechanicus Bio-Genetics division.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Simon_Jester wrote:[Contemplates possibility of making a genetic modification to the hair follicles on the scalp, which are somatic cells, without making the same modification to the gametes]
[Makes note to suggest this to some nation better at genetics than we are]
The NenAltKik is full of consummate geneticists, as we've been needing to do genegineering on our food animals for over a millenia to ensure a bountiful supply of food for our ever-expanding population of 1+ tonne predators! Further, we have pinpoint technology that allows us to modify specific tissues alone in order to improve whatever feature you need improved! Your plumage can be bright, shiny, and require minimal preening just in time for the next molting cycle!
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Hmm. Banning nanotechnology? Smart move!

BTW, folks, tell me what are the laws regarding nanobot mixtures in your respective nations. Is posession banned? Or only distribution? Or both?

And what then happens if a Commune cloud visits, say, the RIS? He can't "distribute" nanorobots but he's composed of them, technically in posession. :lol:
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I think Rogue is banning handing out nano-bots in an open, public place, as opposed to doing so within a structure where precautions for their use can be in place.

I figure distribution is restricted in New Anglia, with regulations in place for transport and use, and sensors to look for contraband nano-containers. A Cloud may also not be the best choice to send for such missions anyway, if their very existence violates local law, unless you have means for them to avoid being detected (like being smuggled in and avoiding customs and spaceport scanners in the process).

Though you don't want to be associated with us icky monarchists anyway, so..... 8)

I imagine in our neck of the woods the Commune's central position would be an association with the Free Nations of Asimovians on Hobbs in Sector X-13; they're one of the Fynn Sector Statelets, a nation of various computational intelligences (either AIs or uploaded persons) governed by a direct democracy.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Collectors will vigorously prosecute any attempts to bring self-replicating nanobots to a trade station for security reasons, though we have nothing against non-replicating Clouds. They will be monitored more vigorously than even ESPers, of course, but won't get atomized on sight :D

@ Steve: Moonbeam, Steve! Marissa MOONBEAM! :P
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Steve wrote:A Cloud may also not be the best choice to send for such missions anyway
Commune's diplomats are exclusively clouds (they only carry their own utility fog meant for sustaining their life, anyway - though of course if one distrusts the Commune he has all reasons to ban them as they can carry other types of utility fog in their bodies, not that benigh :lo: ). For distribution of antiagathics and generic propaganda we send almost exclusively biological humans.

So this means nations which ban nanotech can't have diplomatic represenatitives of the Commune enter. Which means... it's unlikely I'd have their diplomatic representatives enter as well.

P.S. Oh, cool! That means... Comrade Sigma can say hello to Unit 7!!! Aaa!!! :P
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

Stas Bush wrote:Hmm. Banning nanotechnology? Smart move!

BTW, folks, tell me what are the laws regarding nanobot mixtures in your respective nations. Is posession banned? Or only distribution? Or both?

And what then happens if a Commune cloud visits, say, the RIS? He can't "distribute" nanorobots but he's composed of them, technically in posession. :lol:
The RIS would enjoy a meeting with commune diplomats, our own progress with nano-tech and transhumanity has been limited and while people live well they still age and die as do all organic beings. Of course such things as asking a diplomat to keep his cloud within certain confined dimensions and analyzing the size and composition the any such cloud will have to happen because one never knows.
School requires more work than I remember it taking...
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Oh, of course. Bear in mind, the Commune's posthuman technologies (except ordinary antiagathics) do have a darker side and a toll o their owner, which is not usually discussed in public in the Commune, but we'll try to offer you what we have.

Assalti Frontali
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

Stas Bush wrote:Oh, of course. Bear in mind, the Commune's posthuman technologies (except ordinary antiagathics) do have a darker side and a toll o their owner, which is not usually discussed in public in the Commune, but we'll try to offer you what we have.

Oh, it would take a few generations to adopt anything more extreme that ghost in the shell type bodies anyway. As it stands only the really hardcore even go for cybernetic augmentation for cultural reasons.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Depends on the type. Posthumans in the Sovereignty makes extensive use of nanobots themselves, they go well with neuro-, cyber- and gene-technology after all. You're free to have them, but if you bring a hegemonizing swarm or try and take over our citizens you better prepare to be smacked down and fried by an annoyed CI.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

PeZook wrote:Collectors will vigorously prosecute any attempts to bring self-replicating nanobots to a trade station for security reasons, though we have nothing against non-replicating Clouds. They will be monitored more vigorously than even ESPers, of course, but won't get atomized on sight :D

@ Steve: Moonbeam, Steve! Marissa MOONBEAM! :P
God DAMMIT. :evil:

*fixes mistake*
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

The Xenos use nanobots extensively.

The Sassanids just do not like them that much, but will happily use them in warfare and for construction purposes etc.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Actually, I agree it is a good idea to put something in my national entry on the Wiki about nanotech policy. The Central Alliance does use nanotech but (obviously) not the same way it is used in the Commune, nor do we have the policy that seems to be evident in the Shinra republic.

I have Reserve duty this weekend but hopefully I'll have time to put in details during the week.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

The NenAltKik has strict restrictions on replicating nanobots. Any nanobots that come into NenAltKik territory need to be declared and examined to determine their ability to replicate.

Further, medical nanobots from other nations would be strictly prohibited to cross the blood-brain barrier.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

The Union's take on nanobots treats them as tools. Tools can be dangerous if used improperly. So if somebody's bringing nanobots of any sort, they have to tell us exactly what their capabilities are so that we can decide whether or not we need to perhaps keep an eye on them, or even confiscate them.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

And so, after setting up yet more swashbuckling adventure with the brave crew of the Strahl, showing the creation of a cuddly lesbian couple with Sara and Rana, and then setting up yet more sexy adventure with Yuna and Ashe.... the dark side of the Outback comes out of the blindside and hits the running back of light-hearted adventure-telling with the force of a linebacker rushing at full speed..... okay, yeah, that analogy was a tad tortured.

Sometimes those who fight Monsters become Monsters themselves. And sometimes those who fight Monsters get mauled and permanently scarred. :(

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Nanotechnology in the Bragulan Star Empire is regulated by the People's Imperial Bureau of Superior Bragulan Sciences and Patriotic Technologification. The Imperator Darvyl Sagatantron Byzon is, after all, known as the Coryphaeus of Science! :D

EDIT:

Bragulans make sparing use of nanotechnology, as their nuclear-prone nature is very unfriendly to small fragile micromachineries.

Haha, crazy communist nanomachines trying to do tabloid propaganda slurs! :D
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Steve wrote:I think Rogue is banning handing out nano-bots in an open, public place, as opposed to doing so within a structure where precautions for their use can be in place.

I figure distribution is restricted in New Anglia, with regulations in place for transport and use, and sensors to look for contraband nano-containers.
Norade wrote:Of course such things as asking a diplomat to keep his cloud within certain confined dimensions and analyzing the size and composition the any such cloud will have to happen because one never knows.
In simple, quick-and-dirty terms (because I don't feel like being detailed right now) my policy is something of a mix of both of these.

So yes, Commune diplomats would be allowed in Republic space. Though with certain restrictions and safeguards in place, as noted above.

And TBH, since nano-tech is a bit beyond my casual understanding, I probably won't get too much more detailed than this. One must simply assume that in the setting, my government is a lot smarter and more knowledgable than I am. :wink:
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Stas Bush wrote: P.S. Oh, cool! That means... Comrade Sigma can say hello to Unit 7!!! Aaa!!! :P
Yeah, if he has time :D
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

The Hierarchy bans the civilian use and sale of nanotech outright except in a few rare cases of sanctioned microscale manufacturing and medical treatment.Military wise, we have a stockpile of anti nanites as a precaution but that's about it.
STGOD SDNW4 player. Chamarran Hierarchy Catgirls in space!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Akhlut wrote:The NenAltKik is full of consummate geneticists, as we've been needing to do genegineering on our food animals for over a millenia to ensure a bountiful supply of food for our ever-expanding population of 1+ tonne predators! Further, we have pinpoint technology that allows us to modify specific tissues alone in order to improve whatever feature you need improved! Your plumage can be bright, shiny, and require minimal preening just in time for the next molting cycle!
The drawback of accepting NenAltKik support for genetic modification is that you may wind up with a fine, violet head full of... feathers. Not good.

Umeria uses self-replicating nanotech only for special medical industrial purposes, where either:

1a) The nanites can't survive outside a specialized environment, making a gray goo incident impossible, or
1b) The nanites can survive in a common environment, such as the human body, but are subject to quarantine and reliable tests for their presence or absence, or
2) The application is isolated enough that the area can be 'sterilized' of nanites after the job is done (for instance, if you use self-replicating nanites to break down a big vat of toxic waste into harmless chemicals, you can then heat the whole thing up to 80 or 90 degrees centigrade and denature the nanites.

Non-replicating nanotech is much less restricted, but is still subject to laws similar to those regarding the possession and use of dangerous chemicals. The Ministry of Welfare requires certification that the nanites do what they're supposed to do (so that someone can't hide distributed surveillance networks as harmless 'glow powder' of the sort our Big Damn Heroes used on the wreck of the Altair Belle), and in some cases licensing to work with the nanites in question.

So:
- Replicating nanotech that works inside the human body is treated as a mid to high-level biohazard, and is only used under clinical conditions, generally in facilities that could be used to control infectious disease. They are used; such facilities are a lot more common in Umeria than they are in, say, 21st century Earth.
- Replicating nanotech that works outside the human body is treated as a biohazard, and is typically only available for applications where you can assure the Ministry of Welfare that you'll be able to clean up afterwards, making them a nonthreat outside your installation.
- Non-replicating nanotech is treated as a chemical hazard, much like industrial reagants and the like. The degree of restriction is proportionate to the degree of hazard; some kinds of nanites are as tightly restricted as the deadliest carcinogens or nastiest corrosives, while others are no more restricted than ethanol.

Note that it is much easier to get permission to use replicating industrial nanites in space, and the Technocrats will usually move industrial facilities using replicators into space whenever possible.
That is not a problem, though the Ministry of Welfare may be following the cloud around at a tastefully safe distance with air quality monitors and high intensity UV lamps, much as if the cloud were a being made of trillions of (nominally non-infectious) bacteria.

Unless, of course, the Commune is prepared to vouch for the harmlessness of the cloud, in which case MiniWell will be less nosy and annoying... but any little packages the cloud is found to have dropped off will result in varying degrees of international incident between the Technocracy and the Commune.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

How might upgrades to a ship effecting their value work? I am planning on upgrading three dozen of my ships up in value by $25 and these ships have a base price of $200. Would this process take 3 months as suggested by the value of the upgrade, or 2 years as suggested by the base hull cost?
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Just FYI, most of the Commune's nanorobotics, especially higher-grade, are not self-replicating. The nonsentient utility fog may be self-replicating, but antiagathics and cloud bodies are most certainly not. These types of nanorobots are produced at specified nanoassemblers.

So a Commune cloud is not a "grey goo" threat, unless it brings said grey goo with it - which is easy enough to determine by running a scan on it's composition.

Assalti Frontali
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Stas Bush wrote:Just FYI, most of the Commune's nanorobotics, especially higher-grade, are not self-replicating. The nonsentient utility fog may be self-replicating, but antiagathics and cloud bodies are most certainly not. These types of nanorobots are produced at specified nanoassemblers.

So a Commune cloud is not a "grey goo" threat, unless it brings said grey goo with it - which is easy enough to determine by running a scan on it's composition.
Can they be programmed to function as replicating?
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

If that were the case, they'd all look the same.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum