SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread II

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Zor
Sith Acolyte

Re: SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread II

Post by Zor »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Zor, we still good for the Fleet Review? I plan for the Bragulans to actually use the place for some diplomatic attempts at communication.
Alright, so long as you behave and we don't have to reprogram any beligerents.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

There will be no violences. Just talkings. :)

YES

When does the Fleet Review commence? After the Pendleton thing?
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Kartr_Kana
Jedi Knight

Post by Kartr_Kana »

Ok the Hiigaran reaction is up, much later then I expected and way to dramatic for my tastes, guess that's what happens when you stay up till 330am writing.

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any AMERICA because some foreign soldier will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"
LT. GEN. LEWIS "CHESTY" PULLER, USMC
KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

Also, a question that's been niggling me... You refer to both anti-starship force, and ground forces here when it comes to system defenses. What's the split between those two different forces?
System Defenses:

Every planet is presumed to have a planetary militia of some form, be it reservist formations or literal town militias in the Colonies, also things like paramilitary gendarme forces. These forces are nominally not available for war, but rather mobilize and deploy when a planet is faced with invasion.

Much the same way, a planet or solar system's defense forces also control planet-based craft and weapons, including anti-starship artillery, minefields, theater shields, space stations, and orbital defensive weapon platforms. The quality and quantity of these forces varies by kind of Sector: Home Sectors have the best defenses and Colony Sectors have the least.

A Sector's overall defensive point power is determined by its GDP divided by 2. Therefore a Colony Sector's innate defenses are equivalent to $1,000, a Midrange Sector's is $3,000, a Core Sector $5,000, and a Home Sector $7,000. Each major planet in the sector enjoys a fifth of this as a defensive combat value: a Colony Sector planet has a value of $200, a Midrange Sector's system defense is $600, Core Sector system-planet gets $1,000, and a Home Sector planet gets the maximum value of $1,400.

Note that while an invading force that has seized control of orbital space can give its army superior planet-wide tactical maneuverability, to completely conquer a planet without permitting pockets of resistance to continue fighting will require you to achieve a ratio of at least 3:1 in your favor Thus a colony sector planet will require an invasion force of at least $600 to take over - a Home Sector world will require a full assault of troops with a combined value of $4,200 to conquer.

Moderators do reserve the right to determine exceptions in either direction based upon particular circumstances and situations.
"The 4th Earl of Hereford led the fight on the bridge, but he and his men were caught in the arrow fire. Then one of de Harclay's pikemen, concealed beneath the bridge, thrust upwards between the planks and skewered the Earl of Hereford through the anus, twisting the head of the iron pike into his intestines. His dying screams turned the advance into a panic."'

SDNW4: The Sultanate of Klavostan
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Shepistanis have three ships BTW.
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

*Beats the fungus with a stick*
"The 4th Earl of Hereford led the fight on the bridge, but he and his men were caught in the arrow fire. Then one of de Harclay's pikemen, concealed beneath the bridge, thrust upwards between the planks and skewered the Earl of Hereford through the anus, twisting the head of the iron pike into his intestines. His dying screams turned the advance into a panic."'

SDNW4: The Sultanate of Klavostan
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

KlavoHunter wrote:

Also, a question that's been niggling me... You refer to both anti-starship force, and ground forces here when it comes to system defenses. What's the split between those two different forces?
If Pendleton was a full colony world it'd have $200 points worth of space based defences and $200 points worth of ground forces. From the description of it though i'd be surprised if it was one though and the values are probably lower to reflect it being somewhat of a craphole. Then again people sent a truly staggering amount of overkill to the system if that's the case (remember, you lot originally just expected to face said planetary defences and maybe whatever ships the Pendletons could beg borrow or steal in addition) so i could be very wrong.
STGOD SDNW4 player. Chamarran Hierarchy Catgirls in space!
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Pendleton doesn't even rate a full colony world for the rest of us. So I'm not applying the rules to it.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I'm presuming the Commune cruiser went through the Gap before the blockade fleet arrived?

Also, uh, transmitting through shoals requires a lot of power and keeps things simple - text and maybe audio. Though the Core certainly qualifies for enough power to do that and make the replies timely, the cruiser would probably be more hard-pressed, though presumably they only need transmit to Lochley's Retreat for Commune operatives to then send the data on to the Core.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Dave
Jedi Knight

Post by Dave »

Quick question on the Fleet / Naval review: Are we supposed to send shiny spaceships, admirals to chat about shiny spaceships, or both?
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

On the subject of the Pendletonian Navy, I submit that the implied force level for Pendleton suggests a space defense force of about 500 points (much of that tied up in the two cruisers). The Anglians could have easily overpowered it alone, but not without at least some risk of taking damage or even losing a ship; without the Coalition forces they would most likely have deployed a larger screening force to cover the intervention cruisers.

The combined task force was confidently expected to be able to run over the entire Pendleton Navy while barely noticing the bump; since foreign powers were ponying up the cost of maintaining such a force, it looks like His Majesty's Government pretty much shrugged and said "Meh. Why not?" Honestly, I'm surprised we didn't see more forces relegated to the blockade duty...
Dave wrote:Quick question on the Fleet / Naval review: Are we supposed to send shiny spaceships, admirals to chat about shiny spaceships, or both?
Both, I think.

Speaking for myself, the Umerians have something much, much, much more important than the fleet review to worry about at the moment, so no decision on that is liable to be made for some time...

EDIT: Earlier Battle of Bannerman segments made inadequate allowance for the extensive cybernetics used by the HCN, mostly because it hadn't come to my attention the way it did in Kartr's most recent post. From now on, I will take that into account as applicable.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

And we have a new story update.

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:
RogueIce wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Actually, would the Commune be interseted in a "Technology Liason Office" staffed by Inquisitors and Ad Mech fellas?
Aren't you a monarchy? What with the whole God Emperor thing? I would think you're one of the last nations the Commune would be 'trading' with.
Monarchy yes. Byzantine law on the other hand still stipulates freedom of worship.

The Church has grown assertive, but this doesn't change the fact that the Byzantium still has Jewish and Muslim communities, never mind die hard atheists of UCSR descent.
The religion thing isn't as important as the fact you're a monarchy. The Commune doesn't like monarchies, remember? On The Chart you're pegged as "Dislike".

Thus my disbelief that they would share any technology with you.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

[Reads Steve's update]

Recommended listening from the Master of Orion II battle soundtrack:

http://dvc.f2o.org/moo2/MOO2%20-%20Batt ... me%201.mp3

Unfortunately, it's only two minutes long; in the game, it plays on a recurring loop.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

That propaganda bit wouldn't be out for a week or so from now, y'know....

Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

If you say so, but apparently the commune has fairly up to date knowledge of what's goings on there so i figured the Chamarran's could get some as well.
STGOD SDNW4 player. Chamarran Hierarchy Catgirls in space!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The Commune explicitly sent a ship to monitor the proceedings, and limited themselves to text broadcasts. That said, THIS! IS! UNREAL! TIME! so I don't see the problem.
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Well, shit, Steve, my story post needs to go before yours. :P Oh well. I'll still post it IN UNREAL TIME! WOOOO!
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Simon_Jester wrote:[Reads Steve's update]

Recommended listening from the Master of Orion II battle soundtrack:

http://dvc.f2o.org/moo2/MOO2%20-%20Batt ... me%201.mp3

Unfortunately, it's only two minutes long; in the game, it plays on a recurring loop.
I recommend this, meself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1ov-Zk-KX4

I think that better conveys a sense of frenetic and terrible space battle.

Just my $0.02, though.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Shepistan has taken preparatory measures for the deployment of the ultimate weapon -- the adamastache.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Steve wrote:I'm presuming the Commune cruiser went through the Gap before the blockade fleet arrived?
Yes, and they did it mostly of their own volition (CNS Eat the Rich decided to take the initiative and spread some "We come in Peace, Always" to the Pendletonians).
Steve wrote:Also, uh, transmitting through shoals requires a lot of power and keeps things simple - text and maybe audio. Though the Core certainly qualifies for enough power to do that and make the replies timely, the cruiser would probably be more hard-pressed, though presumably they only need transmit to Lochley's Retreat for Commune operatives to then send the data on to the Core.
Well, the transmission is the equivalent of a much-discouraged one-liner :D And the Core wouldn't want to transmit directly, since it's location would be too easily tracked. It went through several proxies for that reason exactly.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Probably from a planetary station, then.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Akhlut wrote:I recommend this, meself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1ov-Zk-KX4

I think that better conveys a sense of frenetic and terrible space battle.

Just my $0.02, though.
Hmm. Not sure I agree; I like the omniscient-sounding string and brass combination (I think string and brass) more than the animalistic percussion and heavy metal guitar combination.

Now, for say giant dinosaurs fighting giant robots or something, this is great music.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

And then the blip representing the Shooting Pains winked out of existence.
:(

This was the Umerian ship with an Anglian liaison on board, right?

Man, RogueIce, you are terrible.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Shroom Man 777 wrote: :(

This was the Umerian ship with an Anglian liaison on board, right?
IIRC, that ship went to Pendleton itself. I'm writing in Simon_Jester's Battle at Bannerman.
Shroom Man 777 wrote:Man, RogueIce, you are terrible.
Simon is the one who had the Shooting Pains go down. I just wrote an alternate POV on his piece.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight