2014 STGOD OOC Commentary Thread 1

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Re: 2014 STGOD OOC Commentary Thread 1

Post by TimothyC »

Just a bit of flavor post.

I wonder if anyone can put together what I just did....
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I've been way too quiet for the past few weeks; it's been... not so much busy as just chaotic and my creative energies haven't been flowing properly. I put this up in part to get it out of the way, the practical results:

1) The Umerian foreign minister, Illustrious Mahogany, may not have many other claims to fame, but he has a really really good desk. Probably the best in Umeria. Possibly one of the best in the world. Where'd he find it? I do not know.

2) Yes, the Umerian equivalent of the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff is named 'Sunshine.' That's what happens when you translate from foreignese into English; things sound less dignified.

3) The Umerian Air Force views with skepticism the UOCSR's claim to have a viable Mach 4 interceptor that will be ready for series production by 2018, not necessarily because they are right to be thus skeptical. They are somewhat alarmed about the predictable gap that will open up if the UOCSR is in fact going to do exactly as it says, and will probably start rummaging through the cupboards for exotic engine concepts. That's not their only response, but it's one of them.

*My personal name for fast/high aircraft

4) Umerian leaders are actually rather bored by military hardware and tend to compare it to truck production, but totally geek out over railroads. They're like that.

5) The Umerians are also dusting off plans for rail lines running to and across the Champan border, in hopes of creating a situation where they have control of and investment in at least some of the rail links likely to run east-west through that country.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Decided on a quick news post showing some academia making international news.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

A little flavour post, news reporting is rather amusing
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

True. Now we just need to settle what interesting new things are happening... the terrorist executions gave us grabby hooks, so did the reactor fire. MOAR!

[I'm trying, myself, but I actually stink at coming up with these things on my own]
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

... well, that accidentally turned into a kind of dark character piece.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Simon_Jester wrote:True. Now we just need to settle what interesting new things are happening... the terrorist executions gave us grabby hooks, so did the reactor fire. MOAR!

[I'm trying, myself, but I actually stink at coming up with these things on my own]
Well, Thanas and I were cooking up some stuff regarding that state visit, hence why I kept it "classified" for the moment.

But if it makes you feel better, I could always start bombing New Britonia :D

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Now introducing the Free City of Cali!
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:True. Now we just need to settle what interesting new things are happening... the terrorist executions gave us grabby hooks, so did the reactor fire. MOAR!

Well, Thanas and I were cooking up some stuff regarding that state visit, hence why I kept it "classified" for the moment.

Ooh, then I could put sanctions on you. :)
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:

Ha, that's quite a distance. Unless you're mistaking New Britonia for the Cape Republic?

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Maybe I am, but there are ample NPC's in my continent I can start attacking if we really need a juicy war to amuse ourselves.

Also, Corona putting sanctions on Orion? Pah! :D

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Its the thought that counts. :)
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Hmmm, Cali sounds interesting. It occurs to me that since Orion has effectively "declared war on terror" and it's entirely possible that drug money funds terror cells, maybe a nice bloody War on Drugs is in order as well. Give my Commandos something to do.

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Siege and I have talked about having thigns in country 14 - the Free State of Medillin - flare up. Cali was invented by me shortly after we decided what Medillin is.

Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

...wait, Michael Westen? Any chance we'll get to see Fiona Glenanne, Jesse Porter, and (especially) Sam Axe?

Too bad Florida is the possession of a foreign power, or we could also have Horatio Caine and Dexter Morgan trying to fight Michael once he gets burned (if he gets burned).
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Steve wrote:Siege and I have talked about having thigns in country 14 - the Free State of Medillin - flare up. Cali was invented by me shortly after we decided what Medillin is.
That has potential. I'd love to get my teeth into such a situation.

Anyhoo, latest story post is up, inviting everyone to a summit conference for our anti-terrorism campaign.

Also, I may decide that some terrorist elements are hiding in one of the nearby NPCs :twisted:

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Shinn Langley Soryu wrote:...wait, Michael Westen? Any chance we'll get to see Fiona Glenanne, Jesse Porter, and (especially) Sam Axe?

Too bad Florida is the possession of a foreign power, or we could also have Horatio Caine and Dexter Morgan trying to fight Michael once he gets burned (if he gets burned).
I beat Rogue to them this time. :mrgreen:

And I'm not sure he'll get burned.

Also, I'll probably have him from Baja, with it having an altered climate to be more like Florida.

Heh, Miami as a Cascadian city in Baja, probably across from the RL position of Cabo.

I suppose we could always do that....

BTW, Shinn, get my PM? And we should probably schedule a joint naval exercise or something, some other interaction. I suspect Fuso has its own reaction to Rheinland's plans for Nippon.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Who are these people and what story are they from?

[blinks confusedly]

Um. That aside... lemme think. Question: what year did our version of WWII end, again?

EDIT: Basically, the Umerians aren't as personally offended by the existence of international terrorism as some. So they're coming to the conference all right, but they're going to be sticklers for making sure that the neutrality and dignity of various states are upheld. Formal declarations of war, that sort of thing.

EDIT MK II: Dr. Illustrious Mahogany is a smiling, wrinkly old man. Quite old. Behind his smiling, friendly facade lurks an equally smiling, friendly personality...

But he can be pretty hardcore about ensuring that propriety is observed.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Corona has grudgingly and noncommittally accepted Orion's invitation.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Simon_Jester wrote:Who are these people and what story are they from?

[blinks confusedly]
Characters from the show Burn Notice.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

We can use characters from other stories in our posts?
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

The Romulan Republic wrote:We can use characters from other stories in our posts?
Uh, yeah. People have been doing that ever since the first SDN World. All depends on how blatant you want to be.
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Yeah, it's a long-running SDN World tradition to reference or homage TV shows, even using images from them at times.

Shroom borrowed heavily from Blackadder for Shroomania, for instance.

And, of course, we all remember how Comrade Shady Sirrah looked like Tim Curry.

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

The Romulan Republic wrote:We can use characters from other stories in our posts?
Are you not familiar with Final Fantasy VII? Like, at all? :razz:
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

RogueIce wrote:
Are you not familiar with Final Fantasy VII? Like, at all? :razz:
Albinos....
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia