SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread III

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Re: SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread III

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Jayne's Frightening Ships, the Imperial Bureau of Galactic Vigilance's primary source of foreign naval intelligence! Is now available to you! Contribute more information and intelligence, comrades! For mighty Bragule! :D
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I know the game's been running slow for the past few days, so it probably doesn't matter, but I've got a difficult situation due to internet problems at home; my activity is going to drop off for at least today and tomorrow

The bright side is that I can write offline with no distractions, and a pair of Dr. Susie updates are coming together quite nicely already...
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Jayne's Frightening Ships, the Imperial Bureau of Galactic Vigilance's primary source of foreign naval intelligence! Is now available to you! Contribute more information and intelligence, comrades! For mighty Bragule! :D
I added some Collector ships that people should have a good idea about by now.

More will be added as people get blown up by them.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I am tired and have stopped adding entries. Whoever's not there, go write yer own navies in. :P
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Oh, man. Me and Coyote both have Aurora-class battlecruisers. I need to do something about that...

[starts plotting]
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Borealis?
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

LoC9, I'm going to ask for something that's been absent from some of your other recent posts: a sense of chronology. When does Hoffman find out about Fourth Battlecruisers' operations? The initial orders are classified information, transmitted directly from the high echelons of government in the Umerian capital to a fleet base far from Prussian space. The ships themselves don't start moving until March 12.
Lord_Of_Change 9
Youngling

Post by Lord_Of_Change 9 »

Simon_Jester wrote:LoC9, I'm going to ask for something that's been absent from some of your other recent posts: a sense of chronology. When does Hoffman find out about Fourth Battlecruisers' operations? The initial orders are classified information, transmitted directly from the high echelons of government in the Umerian capital to a fleet base far from Prussian space. The ships themselves don't start moving until March 12.
Sometime after the fleet starts moving - I assume Prussia would have sensors designed to detect possible enemy fleet movements in the event of war.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Presumably; given the speed with which the battlecruisers can move, I'd say that's about a day after Lisiewicz leaves New Tyre (because that's when he approaches Prussian space), unless the Prussians have advanced picket forces along the Trunk well to coreward ('north' on the map) near the edges of Umerian space.

What are Hoffman's travel plans? In what manner does he plan to travel, and with how much advance warning?
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Chapters Four and Five of Dr. Susie up.

"Fly, FLY, little electrons! Fly like the wind!"
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Hey look, I made a story post!

Shocking!
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Man, Doctor Susie. The Shepistanis have made her mad! She's setting things on fire with her mind! Man, that was totally not expected. :P

(I guess the electric current decreased in that second-to-the-last test because magnets loose their charge when they're heated up? I heard that in the Justice League cartoon. Steve would know which episode.)

She's putting out fire... with gasoline!
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Man, Doctor Susie. The Shepistanis have made her mad! She's setting things on fire with her mind! Man, that was totally not expected. :P

(I guess the electric current decreased in that second-to-the-last test because magnets loose their charge when they're heated up? I heard that in the Justice League cartoon. Steve would know which episode.)
No, but good guess. Magnets lose their magnetic properties at high temperatures because the individual mini-magnets (microscopic-sized domains) get heated to the point where they start bouncing around and randomizing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curie_temperature

What happened in the electrokinesis test was that heating the wire slightly increased its electrical resistance. Because Susie wasn't actively trying to heat the wire, the effect was not all that great; she just, well, accidentally used a power she had in place of one she didn't.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Anyway, guise, I was wondering about Bragulan anti-psyker defenses. Whereas guise like Sheppy and Loiny like to saturate their areas with un-fun BFGs and null-fields and mull-fields and bull-fields and so on, I was wondering if there were more passive methods of dealing with psyker/espers. Are there surveillance methods for detecting when espers are using intense telepathy, or telekinesis, or other such things? If Sheppy and Loiny use the whole "active jamming of psionic emissions", then could there be a more "passive detection of psionic emissions"?

Because the way I was thinking, Bragulans and the IBGV would not use BFGs or null fields because the psykers would detect these and would thus hide their powers and be more cautious. So, the IBGV would use passive psi-sensors instead, so the psykers won't know when they're being watched. These sensors would detect Psycho Kinetic Emissions (PKE) and ectoplasms ( ;) ) so when the surveillance grid detects a psyker using its power, the Bragulans then send their ubiquitous gun-drones and BragHacks (like Half-Life 2 BragHacks, but with butcher knife-sized blades instead) to kill the crap out of the offending psyker.

I was thinking it would be more fun than the "use your powers in an intense BFG, your head explodes!" style the Dominion, Shepistan and etc. have used throughout their countries. In Bragule, instead of that kind of boring stuff, your psyker instead ends up running for his life as he is being pursued by gun-drones and BragHacks and IBGV goons and Arbitrators with beating-sticks, and Black Bragcopters, etc. :P
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I for one think the idea of mechanical detection of psychic activity would be an interesting option. The instruments I've introduced in Dr. Susie are fairly simplistic hookups designed to spot direct effects, really; any competent physicist studying the problem would have whipped up something like that in a matter of months.

Something more general might well be practical, and it would hardly be more abusive than civilization-wide use of other kinds of anti-psi development.
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

Chamarrans use psi detectors which pick up the active use of psychic powers. So the technology does exist and is developable by societies that have fairly mediocre psi research projects.
STGOD SDNW4 player. Chamarran Hierarchy Catgirls in space!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

The Bragulans have developed a more humane method of counter-psi technology than the other nations! What has the galaxy gotten into?! Oh no! What is happening?!

*Bragulans equip psi-surveillance tech to gun-drones and automatic K-bolters and BragHacks with butcher knife-rotors*

Phew! All is right in the universe now!
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Lord_Of_Change 9
Youngling

Simon_Jester wrote:Presumably; given the speed with which the battlecruisers can move, I'd say that's about a day after Lisiewicz leaves New Tyre (because that's when he approaches Prussian space), unless the Prussians have advanced picket forces along the Trunk well to coreward ('north' on the map) near the edges of Umerian space.

What are Hoffman's travel plans? In what manner does he plan to travel, and with how much advance warning?
He'll send a message to the Umerians announcing his intentions - he'll arrive in a civilian vessel to show good faith.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Warp gate or hyperspace?
Lord_Of_Change 9
Youngling

Simon_Jester wrote:Warp gate or hyperspace?
Hyperspace.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Thank you.

I'll need a few days to write the Umerian responses to Hoffman's announcement, so I'd be obliged if you could hold off on releasing anything regarding Hoffman's arrival until that time.
Lord_Of_Change 9
Youngling

Simon_Jester wrote:Thank you.

I'll need a few days to write the Umerian responses to Hoffman's announcement, so I'd be obliged if you could hold off on releasing anything regarding Hoffman's arrival until that time.
That's alright.
Darkevilme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darkevilme »

I get the feeling that the 'brief list of rights extended to spacers found to be in violation of restricted space under U.S.S. law.' Fits on a post it note while being written in none too small text.
STGOD SDNW4 player. Chamarran Hierarchy Catgirls in space!
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Koprulu Zone Rules exceeds the authority of human and inhuman rights! :D
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Koprulu Zone Rules exceeds the authority of human and inhuman rights! :D
I'm starting to become increasingly convinced that the sane people of the galaxy try to stay the fuck away from your quadrant of the map. :P
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED