SD.net's World OOC/Discussion thread MK II

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

MKSheppard wrote:Why do we want nukes? Because they're fun. :D
And you're surprised my character would be worried over you having a Big Red Button?
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

Goddamnit. Shep has nukes now.
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Coyote wrote:I was thinking that a lot of the pirates --those who are not just independents-- are probably coming from Libertopia, securing finances for warlord factions.
As far as geography goes both the Lord and the Sultan have access to sufficiently big enough ships for Pirates. There is also Saddaimstan with it's large anti-everyone else bias. Plus the occasional home-grown Pirates from any criminals in any nation.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Well, unless you're the one running around a nuclear test site in MOPP gear "Proving the Army's ability to operate on a thermonuclear battlefield".
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

PeZook wrote:
Well, unless you're the one running around a nuclear test site in MOPP gear "Proving the Army's ability to operate on a thermonuclear battlefield".
I would not put it past shep, if you replace MOPP with "Walking Nuclear Battletank"

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

So, WRT the ICSA agreement, do I build my own FCS's, or do I still wait for the ones I ordered earlier?
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Coyote wrote:So, WRT the ICSA agreement, do I build my own FCS's, or do I still wait for the ones I ordered earlier?
I believe you can build your own. Just let PeZook know so he can keep the list updated.

NOTE: You can build about 26 FCSs at a L4 Nation's capacity, going by the rough guide PeZook made earlier. I don't know if you really put any major money into expanding that though.

Actually, now that I remember, it's really more like 26, though that's pretty much all of your base-line shipbuilding capability for however long it takes if I remember right.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

We need a simple, quick-reference chart for basic shipbuilding times. Something that delineates that a L1 nation has "X" number of slips for building and can only build up to a certain length/tonnage..
L2 nations have twice that...
L3 nations 3 times that...
L4... and so on...

Perhaps by length, or tonnage.

Freighters
Tankers
Cruise Liners

and a seperate list for warships--
Corvette/Patrol Boats
Frigates
Destroyers
Cruisers (nuclear powered: x2 cost/build)
Battle Cruisers (nuclear powered: x2 cost/build)
Battleships (if we decided to build them, eh) (nuclear powered: x2 cost/build)
Carriers (nuclear powered: x2 cost/build)

Submarines, SSK
Submarines, SSN
Submarines, SSBN

That sort of thing.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Mr Bean wrote:
Coyote wrote:I was thinking that a lot of the pirates --those who are not just independents-- are probably coming from Libertopia, securing finances for warlord factions.
As far as geography goes both the Lord and the Sultan have access to sufficiently big enough ships for Pirates. There is also Saddaimstan with it's large anti-everyone else bias. Plus the occasional home-grown Pirates from any criminals in any nation.
like say my "Norse Fundamentalists"?

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:
Mr Bean wrote:
like say my "Norse Fundamentalists"?
If your helmet has horns on it, then they might be a Modern Viking

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

The nuclear test was conducted in full compliance with the Security Council's decision. ;)

It was the finishing of a programme that started back in the day, and Shep came around some pretty uncanny solutions to get the nuclear material and speed the program up.

PS If a nation really objects to vinicity tests, we can use some other place as a poligon. We just used the most convenient one at the moment.
Last edited by K. A. Pital on 2008-04-24 09:38pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Stas Bush wrote:The nuclear test was conducted in full compliance with the Security Council's decision. ;)

It was the finishing of a programme that started back in the day, and Shep came around some pretty uncanny solutions to get the nuclear material and speed the program up.
No he didn't. I gave him the idea when he asked where I was getting my material. :o
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Lonestar wrote:No he didn't. I gave him the idea when he asked where I was getting my material.
:shock: :lol: Nice. Thanks for sharing the nukyular secrets!

*ponders* We should give you some type of OMSK award then. "Industrial secret help" or the like ;)
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Actually, we both came up with the idea independently. :D

The fruits of an edjumacation knowing that the fuel in naval reactor cores is very highly enriched.

Stas can check his PMs; because I informed him of the SSN scrapping to get their HEU on 8 April (Our time) :twisted:
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Yeah, that was pretty early. I didn't know you communicated with Lonestar at all about it, Shep! *suspicious* Hahaha.

Assalti Frontali
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Coyote wrote:We need a simple, quick-reference chart for basic shipbuilding times. Something that delineates that a L1 nation has "X" number of slips for building and can only build up to a certain length/tonnage..
L2 nations have twice that...
L3 nations 3 times that...
L4... and so on...

Perhaps by length, or tonnage.

Freighters
Tankers
Cruise Liners

and a seperate list for warships--
Corvette/Patrol Boats
Frigates
Destroyers
Cruisers (nuclear powered: x2 cost/build)
Battle Cruisers (nuclear powered: x2 cost/build)
Battleships (if we decided to build them, eh) (nuclear powered: x2 cost/build)
Carriers (nuclear powered: x2 cost/build)

Submarines, SSK
Submarines, SSN
Submarines, SSBN

That sort of thing.
I'll be crafting something like that for FY2010 - it will make accepting new ISCA members easier :)

As for the construction: You can now order FCS at-cost from the ISCA, and I'll spread the production orders around. In fact, I will have to enter the profit kickback into FY2009 budget, because you were included as an "outside buyer" - so you paid for ships with a profit margin :)

I'll post a preliminary shipbuilding guide some time on the weekend, I think

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Okay, time to move our international relations forward to a more radical proposal.

FREE OMSK CITIZEN RESIDENCE

This proposal allows any citizen of the OMSK nation to reside in another OMSK nation, should he be so willing.

Instead of "free trade" agreements, we propose a "free people's movement" agreement.

The project does not mean naturalization and citizenship rules do not apply - moving persons are not granted citizenship unless complying for determined number of years with naturalization rules of the host country - but it calls for Visa-less travel for all OMSK nations and no limits on terms of residence.

As this proposal touches not only the military side of OMSK cooperation, and in fact is a serious decision on behalf of every nation, all OMSK nations are to take part in the dicsussion.

It will be approved only in case over 50% of nations in OMSK vote in favour of abolishing Visas and instituting Free Transfer.
Last edited by K. A. Pital on 2008-04-25 02:18am, edited 2 times in total.

Assalti Frontali
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Byzantium approves of the new visa agreement. Byzantium however would like to know about taxation agreements, especially if its citizens park money in another OMSK country.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

No free movement of capitals is allowed to prevent capital flight ruining the countries.

As we said, this is not a freetrade agreement but a travel-and-reside agreement. All customs restrictions on money smuggling, etc apply to persons transferring to another OMSK nation.

We acknowledge the difference in economic and social systems of member countries either, and that is why the transferring person is still not entitled to the citizen benefits each country may provide.

Taxation of a citizen with a work invitation/permit, i.e. someone who is not a tourist, will be ran according to the laws of the nation where he resides at the moment. Movement of capitals remains restricted quite obviously.

This is mainly directed at common people, the workers and middle class, to share work experiences, possibly cooperate on multinational projects more freely and with less red tape. Engineers will face the least restrictions when moving from country to country as there's a large number of joint engineering projects requiring personnel.

The proposal makes sense in my view.

Assalti Frontali
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Beowulf, please do tell me how a M10 wind pipe is the "first in the world" hypersound pipe, when even in the late XX century TSAGI had 20 Mach windpipes (T-116 and T-117). That sounds way off.

Assalti Frontali
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Stas Bush wrote:Beowulf, please do tell me how a M10 wind pipe is the "first in the world" hypersound pipe, when even in the late XX century TSAGI had 20 Mach windpipes (T-116 and T-117). That sounds way off.
Technically it is, because nobody here has one :D

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

That's impossible. The first hypersonic wind tubes with greater than M=5 number and relatively high Reynolds number were created in the 1970s and a lot of the tech we use now that we consider "end XX century" would be impossible without using those very tubes.

If Beowulf has Boeign's industrial ifrastructure, then sure as hell he already has hypertubes.

I don't understand how the hell is he launching rockets either. Hypersonic tubes were crucial to both Soviet and NASA space program and the vehicles woudl go nowhere without them.

Seriously, those tubes are already part ofthe infrastructure, or all those rockets, missiles, planes and spacecraft are gone, and many composites in modern war machinery and even general chemical industry are gone.

What the hell is that, a throwback to 1950s, when the first hypersonic tonnels were made?

Assalti Frontali
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Stas Bush wrote:That's impossible. The first hypersonic wind tubes were created in the 1970s and a lot of the tech we use now that we consider "end XX century" would be impossible without using those very tubes.

If Beowulf has Boeign's industrial ifrastructure, then sure as hell he already has hypertubes.
Hypersonic, yeah - but he's building a Mach 10 tunnel.

I don't think anybody received equipment which would require something like that to build and/or service.
Last edited by PeZook on 2008-04-25 03:51am, edited 1 time in total.

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

So? :roll: Let me explain it very simply.

The TSAGI and NASA got their hypersonic (M=8-20) pipes in the 1960s.

All spacecraft, all supersonic bombers, materials, hell, just about everything was impacted by the immense testing capabilities given by those tubes.

The Tu-160 class craft - and that's just one little example - would simply not exist. In the 1970s, the TSAGi had tunnels to M=25. I'm sure NASA did too.

So either Beowulf makes it a Mach 30 tonnel, smething that really does not exist, or we face a total disconnect in material science, space and aircraft.

Assalti Frontali
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Stas Bush wrote:So? :roll: Let me explain it very simply.

The TSAGI and NASA got their hypersonic (M=8-20) pipes in the 1960s.

All spacecraft, all supersonic bombers, materials, hell, just about everything was impacted by the immense testing capabilities given by those tubes.

The Tu-160 class craft - and that's just one little example - would simply not exist. In the 1970s, the TSAGi had tunnels to M=25. I'm sure NASA did too.

So either Beowulf makes it a Mach 30 tonnel, smething that really does not exist, or we face a total disconnect in material science, space and aircraft.
Hmm...well, okay. I didn't know that mach 8-20 tubes exites in the 1960s.

A mach 30 tunnel would be pretty useful for everyone, sure.