SD.net: Lords of Darkness (RAR!) Mk-II

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Starglider
Miles Dyson

Re: SD.net: Lords of Darkness (RAR!) Mk-II

Post by Starglider »

Samuel wrote:I, on the other hand, intend to set myself up as a God to the natives. The fact that I have the ability to grant practical immortality doesn't hurt :D
You know, that could end up really badly. If you get overthrown (remember that the native humans don't have the innate loyalty to you that your own troops do), then you will be kept in a cell indefinitely and tortured until you grant your 'blessings' to the currently reigning warlord.

My cubic meter of initial stuff will mostly consist of tools, particularly saw blades, chisels and drill bits - plenty of paper and pens, good paper is a bitch to make in a primitive setting - oh and several pairs of good binoculars for the scouts. The 24 hour windows later are enough to move several tonnes of stuff each, so some solar panels and power tools may be viable. Modern medical supplies are also a priority - unfortunately I wouldn't be able to get hold of firearms in that time window. I suppose I'd have to have my minions find gold nuggets or gemstones for me to take back to fund this..
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

You know, that could end up really badly. If you get overthrown (remember that the native humans don't have the innate loyalty to you that your own troops do), then you will be kept in a cell indefinitely and tortured until you grant your 'blessings' to the currently reigning warlord.
Good point. I'll go the more mundane route than, but I am not sure how I can keep control over crops and livestock. Any advice, or once you start giving them out the cat is out of the bag?
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

I still stand by my plane to use gobbos as the minion power behind my very large, land locked based public works project. you know, semaphore rapid communication, roads, more roads, where the frak did that giant wall come from, how the fuck did he build a bridge across the bering straigt? you know that kind of stuff.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

The Yosemite Bear wrote:roads, more roads
Tragically, one aspect of (the game) Civilisation is quite accurate; roads are as useful for invaders as they are for defenders.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Wanted to make a map showing current location of those in North America:
Since it looks as though me and Solauren are going to be right next to each other, and with equal forces, I'd like to request a more detailed outline of his long-term plans so I know who Im going to be working with. As always let me know if Ive missed someone. theres been a few people who posted but havnt given a location or detailed information on theri plans.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Perhaps a slight relocation for me to the west (between L. Superior + Michigan, at near, the source of the eastern most river) would be a good idea for both resources (Iron), as well as to give each other some space.

It won't affect plans any, but it would prevent us from crowding each other.

Oh, and were did you get the map? I'm considering making on of North + South America with recommendations for were we need more members to be able to pretty much assure control of the Continent(s)
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
speaker-to-trolls
Jedi Master

Post by speaker-to-trolls »

Hmm, I have a plan to set myself up in Teotihuacan (ruined city near Mexico City, the precolumbians believed it was magic), then emerge in splendour at the head of a hoard of monsters to cow the natives around the lake where Mexico City is now. Once I have that place as a seat of power I should be able to extend my grasp across all the cities of Mexico, especially the ones near iron deposits.

Still working on the composition of my forces to get a decent mix of combat effectiveness and pseudodivine credibility.
Post Number 1066 achieved Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:19 pm(board time, 8:19GMT)
Batman: What do these guys want anyway?
Superman: Take over the world... Or rob banks, I'm not sure.
The Yosemite Bear

I'm taking the Kamchatka/Alaska territory, mining gold and building roads, (not to mention lots of fur trade, and wolves for my orkish minions to ride.) Oh and my first grande project is to build roads/bridges through the alutenan islands.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Yosemite Bear: Do you intend to join the European Union?

Because, if so, we're going to need horses, and you're geographically the closest to Asia...
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Styphon
Jedi Knight

Post by Styphon »

Not sure of my exact force composition (stupid low post-count gives me so little to work with, and I want it all!), but I plan to set myself up somewhere in Australia. Nobody else posting seems to have any interest in the continent, there's plenty of iron and coal available (or at least that's what some preliminary googling seems to indicate), and the natives should be easy to subjugate.

As far as my cubic meter of stuff goes: seeds, lots of seeds, and maybe some young plants. Books are a waste, considering I can just load up my magic laptop with PDFs on whatever subject I'd want to know about instead; guns... you can't get that much of in just a cubic meter, I would think (better to get them on the annual day-trips); but seeds let me have a varied diet (well, eventually anyway), instead of just whatever's natively available or Q happens to have put in the granary.
Crazedwraith:
Styphon for CLITORIS!
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Styphon wrote:Not sure of my exact force composition (stupid low post-count gives me so little to work with, and I want it all!), but I plan to set myself up somewhere in Australia. Nobody else posting seems to have any interest in the continent
I'd be there if I had 250,000 points.
As far as my cubic meter of stuff goes: seeds, lots of seeds
The OP specifies that you get lots of seeds anyway. Also, you only have an hour to pack, do you have access to lots of crop seeds? I'd probably spend most of my hour at the local tools store. Oh, I'd put a few oil-burning lanterns in the first chunk of luggage too, because it's easy to fuel them but difficult to make good ones without any glass production.
Books are a waste, considering I can just load up my magic laptop with PDFs on whatever subject I'd want to know about instead
Fine for you but what about teaching your minions? This is a major reason why I took a load of paper, so they can make copies of the most important materials. Later (annual) trips back to reality may warrant reference books and/or a printer.
but seeds let me have a varied diet (well, eventually anyway)
Well, I guess some vegetable seeds couldn't hurt.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Solauren wrote:Yosemite Bear: Do you intend to join the European Union?

Because, if so, we're going to need horses, and you're geographically the closest to Asia...
Gaah, I meant North American Union...

Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Margraviate Ostarrichi

Ruler: The Most Honorable The Markgraf Raesene

Location: Prince Edward Island; planned expansion towards original Earth's Canada (Labrador, Newfoundland, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia etc..), possibly Greenland.

Capital: Miramare, replacing Charlottetown. My manor will be a square stone keep within the wooden palisades.

Personnel:

850 Goblins
750 Orcs
300 Naga
150 Satyrs
50 Minotaurs
50 Centaurs
50 Ursoids

No Ogres or Duckmen

Languages:

I'll gift my loyal subjects with english and german, and train a few (10-20%) in other languages, especially those of the natives.

My cubic meter of goods will definitely include my old high school books of physics, mathematics etc. , a variety of tools and 'How-to...' books on topics of farming, carpentry, pottery, sailing etc. Some survival-books and travel descriptions of early explorers of the region could also help. I'll buy a good encyclopedia on a CD-ROM, so I know what's possible. My university lecture notes and books will also come with me, especially those dealing with inorganic chemistry, that chould be the most relevant part in the near future.

A lot of swiss army knives are also included - even for only a small amount of the gold (I'd prefer it in smaller bars of 10 - 100g instead of 1 kg blocks, if Q would be so kind to deliver; the smaller ones should be easier to sell in the 24 hours we get to pack) I should get a lot of goods. These knives would be used as a reward for exemplary service.
Maps of the region (in a variety of scales) are also bought and taken with me.
Paper and lots of pencils are also packed. I'll also try to get hold of seeds of modern plant breeds, and small trinkets of glass beads, mirrors,...

I'll exchange about 1000 of my cows for goats, pigs and chicken, and ask for potatoes as part of the starting seeds. My subjects should also know how to grow them.

At first, I'll have my followers construct and maintain farms and roads, build water or wind-powered mills and sawmills (taking blueprints with me in my m³, if necessary of children's toys, building bigger ones step by step) and more boats/small ships for fishing and trade. I'll also send out scouts to map the surrounding territory, correcting the modern maps I took with me.
I'll try to ally with nearby natives, offering them tools and/or aid in return. I will not start a conquering spree in the beginning, the immediate inhabitants will have a heart attack if they see the construction or consider me a demigod anyway.

I'll educate the intelligent creatures using my school books, teaching them to read/write and basic mathematics at first if necessary. That way, they form my scientific elite that can improve the tech level.

more to come

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

KroLazuxy_87
Padawan Learner

Post by KroLazuxy_87 »

If I wished to participate:

A. Would you allow it?
B. What kind of limited start layout and/or other limitations am I looking at?

I know I'm new, but I'd really like to try my hand at this.
To criticize a person for their race is manifestly irrational and ridiculous, but to criticize their religion, that is a right. That is a freedom. The freedom to criticize ideas, any ideas - even if they are sincerely held beliefs - is one of the fundamental freedoms of society. A law which attempts to say you can criticize and ridicule ideas as long as they are not religious ideas is a very peculiar law indeed. -Rowan Atkinson
Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
Styphon
Jedi Knight

Post by Styphon »

Starglider wrote:The OP specifies that you get lots of seeds anyway. Also, you only have an hour to pack, do you have access to lots of crop seeds?
Let's put it this way... I'm only about 5 minutes drive from cows. Plenty of farms around here means plenty of farm supply stores. And vegetable seeds (which is really more what I was talking about anyway, since I have no guarantee of how much variety Q is supplying me with) are available at any supermarket around here.
Fine for you but what about teaching your minions? This is a major reason why I took a load of paper, so they can make copies of the most important materials. Later (annual) trips back to reality may warrant reference books and/or a printer.
If all else fails, I can teach some of my minions to use my laptop. :P
Crazedwraith:
Styphon for CLITORIS!
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

Just a little question, but I remember that there is a theory that the pigs brought into North America but that Ponce de Leon carried disease and that the natives we exposed leading to... lots of open room.

Do we have that problem/opportunity? Because bioweapons are great for an evil overlord, but killing millions is bad. We want power, not corpses. Unless we can raise the dead of course, but that isn't an option in this scenario.
If all else fails, I can teach some of my minions to use my laptop. :P
I have a feeling some individuals will have rather coozy relations with the minions :mrgreen: Nice to see they are more than expendable meatsacks to the lot of you tyrants to be.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Samuel wrote:Nice to see they are more than expendable meatsacks to the lot of you tyrants to be.
Well normally I would prefer to be the mad wizard who proclaims 'look at the perfection of my creations!' as hordes of horrible mismatched mutants rampage around. Since we don't have the means to do that in-situ in this scenario, I had to pester the GM into letting me do it in the setup phase... as usual. :)

I have in fact made some rough sketches of my minions and their lair, should people wish to see them. Unfortunately having the starting population of a small village means that they won't be able to engage in any actual rampaging for the first century or two.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

KroLazuxy_87 wrote:If I wished to participate:

A. Would you allow it?
B. What kind of limited start layout and/or other limitations am I looking at?

I know I'm new, but I'd really like to try my hand at this.
Check the first post of this thread. The parameters are all their.

I'd recommend you start on a small island, personally. Somewhere near fishing resources so you can supply a big guy and basically buy protection, and help shore them up.

Of course, you could also breed goblins like crazy (not hard) and loan them out in exchange for better troops.

Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Solauren wrote:Check the first post of this thread. The parameters are all their.
He has less than 50 posts. Crossroads didn't specify a force level for people with so few posts (in fact he explicitly excluded them from the scenario).
KroLazuxy_87
Padawan Learner

Post by KroLazuxy_87 »

I'll assume that there are no major objections to me joining (and possibly making a fool of myself) in the game. If you wish to kick me out later, very well, I’ll leave without complaint.

Due to my fewer posts I’ll castrate myself down to 5,000 army points, 800 cattle, and my fortress will consist of 3 meter high walls made of logs sharpened at the top and sunk into the ground 1 meter. The gate will be two large hinged doors made of doubled up hardwood planks. Small wooden platforms will be constructed at the corners, and mid-walls to allow watchmen to see over the wall and keep a look out.

My Location and General Plan:
I will begin my settlement where modern day Omaha, Nebraska is located. I plan to farm large quantities of food and plant vast hardwood tree farms. My location along the Missouri River grants me relatively quick transportation into the east or west. By familiarizing myself and my minions with information about the local Native American tribes I’ll try to assimilate as many into my empire as I can. Large Coal deposits in the area will fuel the inevitable steamboats that will be constructed. I plan to carve out myself a healthy, self-sustainable region while facilitating trade between the eastern and western inhabitants.

My “Force” and specific plans for them:

300 – Goblins
700 – Orcs
100 – Naga
100 – Satyrs
50 – Centaurs
10 – Ogres

400 – Cattle
400 – Pigs
200 – Goats
200 – Chickens

Goblins will be exclusively for mining coal. 250 Goblins will be allocated with 40 Orcs as overseers and 4 Ogres (an additional 60 Orcs for ogre maintenance). 30 Satyrs to keep track of production and plan goblin breeding, another 100 Orcs to maintain the village will complete my Mining town.

Centaurs along with 100 Orcs will primarily be used to manage the Cattle. 10 Satyrs will be allocated to keep track of cattle numbers.

The 100 Naga will be responsible for establishing fishing and boat production. 10 Satyrs will act as accountants for the Naga, keeping track of supplies, construction progress, and fishery production.

200 Orcs and the remaining 6 Ogres will be under the charge of 30 Satyrs and responsible for all agriculture production and maintenance.

The last 200 Orcs and 20 Satyrs will be responsible for maintaining the fortress, developing the trades, overall bookkeeping, and contingency planning for emergencies or disasters.

All minions will be allowed holidays and one day of rest each week. Population growth will be encouraged except for the Goblins, who will be limited. Additional population will be evenly dispersed among the various vocations unless otherwise required.

*Plans subject to change.

(<Feel free to critique>)
To criticize a person for their race is manifestly irrational and ridiculous, but to criticize their religion, that is a right. That is a freedom. The freedom to criticize ideas, any ideas - even if they are sincerely held beliefs - is one of the fundamental freedoms of society. A law which attempts to say you can criticize and ridicule ideas as long as they are not religious ideas is a very peculiar law indeed. -Rowan Atkinson
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

KroLazuxy_87 wrote:All minions will be allowed holidays and one day of rest each week.
To : KroLazuxy_87
Based on the above quote, your evil overlord license has been revoked.

Actually this scenario has a bit of a problem in that it's far too tempting to just sit passively for decades or centuries building up population, enact enlightened public welfare policies and public works projects to boost productivity and innovation, ally with local humans etc. Sauron would sneer at such goody-goody behavior.

How about this Crossroads; all of these fantasy creatures breed very slowly on their own, such that you'll have a hard time just maintaining a positive growth rate, but if you capture humans you can transform them into more minions by some appropriately menacing ritual (e.g. keeping them locked up for a month while you feed them nanomachine-laced blood drawn from your existing minions). That way the go-getters who decide to take on Europe are rewarded for risking being burned at the stake with the prospect of their dark legions swelling much faster, compared to the people who cower on remote islands with no native opposition. It also guarentees that the Vatican will declare us abominations unto god who need to be purged with fire in a grand crusade, and that sounds like a whole barrel of fun. :)
KroLazuxy_87
Padawan Learner

Post by KroLazuxy_87 »

Starglider wrote:
KroLazuxy_87 wrote:All minions will be allowed holidays and one day of rest each week.
To : KroLazuxy_87
Based on the above quote, your evil overlord license has been revoked.
Point taken... I added that off handedly, I guess I was thinking it would keep them happy/moral up so they'd be more productive over all...

Besides, evil warlords gotta start somewhere...

If I'd had more points I'd have wanted to start a large population of either Ursiods or Ogres and have their young lobotomized early in life and simply use them as mindless beasts of burden. (Of course, this also stims from the false assumption that your minions can be unhappy with your rule. Apparently their already mindlessly obedient though.)
By familiarizing myself and my minions with information about the local Native American tribes I’ll try to assimilate as many into my empire as I can.
This should have mentioned that force would most likely be needed and would result in the slavery of the locals. I apologize for using assimilate.

I really don't think the more than a couple of Indian Tribes would like me. (Arapaho, Cheyenne, Kansa, Lakota and Dakota Sioux, Missouria, Omaha, Otoe, Pawnee, and Ponca Indian Tribes) I'm expecting some trouble, including but not limited to: raids on my separate mining town, slave revolts, and possible sabotage of my fields.
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

You do realize there is no point in slave taking? Your minions breed faster, work harder, are more loyal, etc.

Also, if we need to convert people to minions, the obvious plan is to unleash a plague upon Europe or China and either offer the suffering another chance at life or take the shell shocked survivors.

I recommend the Area 51 arcade game style conversion. Mostly because it looked awesome.

To reduce the breeding rate, just factor in disease.
The Yosemite Bear

Since I'm a classic Risk player, I will eventually make my way to you Europeans, I should be able to get lots of horses when I move down the Russian side of the Berring Straigt. (I guess I will need some Naga/Deep ones, for my expansion towords Korea....