SDN World 3 Country Claiming

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Re: SDN World 3 Country Claiming

Post by Master_Baerne »

Steve wrote: Baerne, added Laos and Cambodia, but Tahiti frankly wouldn't show up on this map on account of being so small. Or at the least it isn't on the map.
Thanks!
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

Ryan Thunder wrote:So, does any body else want to invest in the Panama canal? I'm not sure that German investement alone would be sufficient, even with my increased industrial capacity...
Sorry for the double post, but yes - I've got colonies to get to, dontcha know. Could you use financial and technical support.
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Ryan Thunder wrote:So, does any body else want to invest in the Panama canal? I'm not sure that German investement alone would be sufficient, even with my increased industrial capacity...
So I've been thinking about it, and investing in a Panama Canal seems like a good thing for the US. I think you can sign me up.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

RogueIce wrote:
So I've been thinking about it, and investing in a Panama Canal seems like a good thing for the US. I think you can sign me up.
So nobody wants to sign up for the Nicaraguan canal?

Also Rogue I've got Hispaniola, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Antigua and Guadeloupe but my working theory for how I got Puerto Rico is by helping fend off the US invasion of Cuba which remains a Spanish possession. I can change that but let me know.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

CmdrWilkens wrote:Also Rogue I've got Hispaniola, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Antigua and Guadeloupe but my working theory for how I got Puerto Rico is by helping fend off the US invasion of Cuba which remains a Spanish possession. I can change that but let me know.
Well I invested the point and I literally have nowhere else to go that really makes sense. I suppose we could've gotten Cuba through some other means, or you got Puerto Rico through other means. But yeah, we can work something out.
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

CmdrWilkens wrote:So nobody wants to sign up for the Nicaraguan canal?

Also Rogue I've got Hispaniola, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Antigua and Guadeloupe but my working theory for how I got Puerto Rico is by helping fend off the US invasion of Cuba which remains a Spanish possession. I can change that but let me know.
What's the conditions?
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Wilkens, PM.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

The Mexican Empire
Colonial Possessions: Hispaniola, Puerto Rico, The Virgin Islands (US, UK and "Spanish"), Antuiga, Guadeloupe.
Independent Client States: Nicaragua
(Technically independent but is more akin to Egypt in the early 1900s so I'm counting it towards colonial points)

Population 4
Home Territory 4
Colonial Territory 2
Industry 4 (+2 to Navy)
Economy 4
Infrastructure 3
Standing Military Limit 3
Naval Focus - 4 (2+2)
Army Focus 2
Air Focus 2

*Edited* - Nicaragua is now counted in with "Home Territory" so colonial possessions are down to a 2. In turn SML is up to a 3.
Last edited by CmdrWilkens on 2009-10-21 11:53pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Your choice, Wilkens, but you could probably afford all of Central America with 4 points. 4 gives you 2 to six million square kilometers.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Steve wrote:Your choice, Wilkens, but you could probably afford all of Central America with 4 points. 4 gives you 2 to six million square kilometers.
Okay, edited the points above, CT is now down to 2 while SML is up to 3.

-Kingdom of Heaven
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Ok extreme delay here sorry everyone.
Ok I am reviewing my PM's and will make my selections for colonies know. However a question. What would something like Hong-Kong cost me? I want to play a Britain that's on a much sharper decline then historically accurate due to mismanagement. Instead of India being under firm control and all those island colonies I'm looking at a Britian forced to scale back it's Imperial ambitions. Perhaps to the point that only Hong-Kong like agreements and settlements remain remain except for one or two colonies(Has anyone claimed Cuba or the New Zeland?). If Shep and Lonestar are willing for example could we work something out like that were Britain maintains a toehold on some small city to serve as harbor and coaling station for the British fleet with no control over the country proper?

How many Hong Kong's could 1 point buy me? 2 points, 3 points?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Mr Bean wrote:How many Hong Kong's could 1 point buy me? 2 points, 3 points?
As a former colony I was thinking that you'd still have Walvis Bay.

Maybe right for ships in Cape Town in exchange for South Georgia?
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I wanted to leave Britain with Ceylon and southern-most India, around Madras, and I think Lonestar was considering it. And so far Australia, New Zealand, and portions of Africa are still open for colony claims. Fiji is also open, so is some of the South Pacific sans Samoa, Nauru, and most of New Guinea (only the bit of West New Guinea between Bird's Head Peninsula and the modern Indonesian/Papua New Guinea border are open). I think Singapore is colored British red but Klavo's Klavostan may claim that (though it wouldn't hurt him if it remains British, Kuala Lumpar is a viable alternative port).

Shinn's history has Hong Kong falling to his Southeast Asian Union but you might be able to see about either A) getting a replacement from Bluewolf or B) getting him to rescind that.

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

In light of the difficulties in deciding a frontier for Germany and the prospective Polish player, I've taken the liberty of drawing a border for them.

http://stgjr.com/sdnw3/posen.png
http://stgjr.com/sdnw3/galicia.jpg
http://stgjr.com/sdnw3/wprussia.png

Note that unless otherwise drawn, the border would be the historic Russo-German border on 1 January 1914.

My intention is that Poland's frontier in the southern reaches would be the Dniester, even off that map.
Last edited by Steve on 2009-10-22 12:34am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

MariusRoi wrote:
As a former colony I was thinking that you'd still have Walvis Bay.

Maybe right for ships in Cape Town in exchange for South Georgia?
Well I'm thinking of a Britian who's army overreached and were forced to negotiate leaving territories and handing them over to local governments. In some area they will only have basing rights, in others maybe a natural harbor or a mutual defense pact with the local Navy or perhaps and out and out City under full British control.

What I'm imaging here is a situation where Britain tilts to far the way towards the Navy and while in 1925 she has the finest fleet in the sea bar none. Her Army has been seriously weakened due to a loss of focus so in our world it can be said that Britain's rite runs as far as the waves do, and not ten miles inland.

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Mr Bean wrote:(Has anyone claimed Cuba or the New Zeland?)
Sorry dude, I just snatched Cuba.

Wilkens hasn't claimed the Bahamas, but they're probably too small to really have a Hong Kong style thing.

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

RogueIce wrote:
Mr Bean wrote:(Has anyone claimed Cuba or the New Zeland?)
Sorry dude, I just snatched Cuba.

Wilkens hasn't claimed the Bahamas, but they're probably too small to really have a Hong Kong style thing.
I totally call Gitmo

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Mr Bean wrote:I totally call Gitmo
I guess you can have a base on a lease. In exchange for the Bahamas? :wink:

By the way, if you're going to use it as a terrorist communist detention center, I'd appreciate a heads up first. And of course getting to send my own commies there. :razz:

Oh, and we probably can't hate each other. :D

And yes Stas, I'm kidding about the communist detention center thing. Mostly. :wink:

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

So Wilkins, what's the terms and conditions for the canal? I wouldn't mind looking into it, if only so that it's easier to send goods on the N. American west coast.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

So, thus far, the Panaman Canal board members include Columbia, Germany, the United States, Baernistan (I forget the name), and Cascadia.

Did I miss anybody?

Also, for the sake of number-crunching, how much are you folks going to contribute?
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

Steve wrote:Shinn's history has Hong Kong falling to his Southeast Asian Union but you might be able to see about either A) getting a replacement from Bluewolf or B) getting him to rescind that.
That very same history also mentions the SAU allowing the British to use Hong Kong as a staging area during the First Opium War. Perhaps the agreement allowing British military access to Hong Kong could still be in force.

Also, last I checked, Fin also has an outstanding claim on Singapore for the Byzantine Empire...
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:So Wilkins, what's the terms and conditions for the canal? I wouldn't mind looking into it, if only so that it's easier to send goods on the N. American west coast.

I'm honestly still building it because I want an economically feasible canal which means figuring the construction and annual operating costs backwards from current dollars as proposed before figuring out just how low I can afford to go.

Bean, since I'm yoinking the BVI maybe that could be in return for basing rights from Santo Domingo or some transit rights through the proposed Nicaraguan canal.

-Kingdom of Heaven
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I imagine Barbados and Jamaica would remain British, however, as would various other British isles in the Caribbean that haven't already been claimed.

Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

CmdrWilkens wrote:
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:So Wilkins, what's the terms and conditions for the canal? I wouldn't mind looking into it, if only so that it's easier to send goods on the N. American west coast.
I'm honestly still building it because I want an economically feasible canal which means figuring the construction and annual operating costs backwards from current dollars as proposed before figuring out just how low I can afford to go.

Bean, since I'm yoinking the BVI maybe that could be in return for basing rights from Santo Domingo or some transit rights through the proposed Nicaraguan canal.
The Panama canal is quite economically feasible. In fact, its the most economically feasible in all of America, and I don't mean the United States.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Ryan Thunder wrote:
CmdrWilkens wrote:

The Panama canal is quite economically feasible. In fact, its the most economically feasible in all of America, and I don't mean the United States.
Its not economically feasible if you charge too much for passage OR if you don't charge enough to cover operating expenses (dredging ain't cheap). You can't just say "here is the Panama Canal" and then charge whatever you want with no repercussions. I could build a Nicaraguan canal for sure but the economics of RUNNING it are what I am trying to deduce. From a economics standpoint it is much more valuable than the Panama canal because the water source is bigger meaning it can carry a larger load. Currently the Panama Canal is carrying close to the maximum load it can because of the load on the locks so given the time period you aren't going to be able to generate that much larger of a set of locks nor can you really do that much to increase your throughput because your water source isn't big enough to handle all that much more.

-Kingdom of Heaven