57%
Abstain
14%

Total votes: 14

DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Re: Star Trek/Star Wars STGOD?

Post by DarthShady »

The Romulan Republic wrote: Well, I want the player to actually have to make strategic choices. Its too easy if you can just spam Genesis devices. Also, this way, it is mathematically impossible to hit ever system in an enemy's territory with Genesis devices, which means that wars won't simply degenerate into WMD spam.
That makes sense. :D This could be a rather interesting game, we just need more players.
I think the cost of a planet destroying superweapon has to be increased to make it exorbitantly more expensive than a Sovereign type battlecruiser.
Agreed.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Also, I'm not sure about making cloaks more expensive. I borrowed that idea from the last space STGOD (don't want anyone to think I'm trying to take credit for another's idea), but cloaks are common in Trek and I'm not sure why they should be priced more while all sorts of other technobable aren't.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Also, I'm not sure about making cloaks more expensive. I borrowed that idea from the last space STGOD (don't want anyone to think I'm trying to take credit for another's idea), but cloaks are common in Trek and I'm not sure why they should be priced more while all sorts of other technobable aren't.
The trouble is that cloaking devices seem to be almost at no additional cost in Star Trek, what with every single Romulan ship having the damn things.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:The trouble is that cloaking devices seem to be almost at no additional cost in Star Trek, what with every single Romulan ship having the damn things.
My point exactly. So that'll cut costs a bit if I change it. Should also look up the other thread and see what the reason for that policy was, and weather it makes any sense to have something similar here.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

I think in the most recent Space based STGOD, the rationale was that the "cloaking" was rather "stealthing" so additional cost went into reducing the ship's sensor signature the way we do so for modern warships.

Of course in Star Trek, the approach rather was some magical device that did the cloaking and with mass production, apparently it could even be placed on a small vessel.
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Have edited regarding cloaks.

Still trying to decide on time period if we go Star Wars. Any prefernces?
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

The Romulan Republic wrote:Have edited regarding cloaks.

Still trying to decide on time period if we go Star Wars. Any prefernces?
Hmmm... We could theoretically be independent powers in a time between the Sith and the Republic say... 3000-4000 years before A New Hope.
Kreia
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Well now that this appears to have some legs I might very well be iterested in a game; though I must say I am more interested in Wars than Trek simply because there is less weird shit to power game with.

The big thing for me would be what type of setup we would end up using. The "everyone's a small warlord" system would be the best for my purposes as we could use all the setting building that the movies and EU have done. (Also I have a pretty good idea of the type of faction I'd want to play if we put it within 20 years of the clonewars.) If we put it 3000 years before the movies or the like we'd have to make up and balance all the ships we make and so forth. Regardless of the era we really should keep it rather rules light as I feel that has been one of reasons the successful games have been so.
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

I'm with Coyote and Raj about the time for a Wars STGOD - Being warlords after the Empire and New Republic destroy each other has the potential for much creative freedom, as well as not involving an overly powerful government we'd all have to avoid annoying.
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Master_Baerne wrote:I'm with Coyote and Raj about the time for a Wars STGOD - Being warlords after the Empire and New Republic destroy each other has the potential for much creative freedom, as well as not involving an overly powerful government we'd all have to avoid annoying.
Well, we could force a local victory on a weakened Republic or Sith Empire.... who are too busy killing each other.

Of course, this calls for a strong mod to control the environment.
Kreia
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

I hate to throw a wrench into the works, but last night I had an awesome dream that showed potential, for another story:

"Stargate: 1920".

The Stargate is uncovered in 1920 and, instead of hidden, it is put to use. Maybe Hoover Dam is built a decade earlier to harness power to run it; for some reason it was in my dream. But Stargate teams were hiking around with Broomhamdle Mausers, Lee-Enfield .303s, K98's, rifle grenades, and Lewis guns, at one point squeezing a Renautl FT-17 tank and a Rolls-Royce armored car through the portal to battle the Jaff'a... I remember thinking that the heavier rounds of the weapons at that time would probably be effective against the Jaff'a, and the bolt-action rifles gave about the same rate of fire as the typical staff weapon seems to have, so I felt it would actually be about even... :lol:
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Coyote wrote:I hate to throw a wrench into the works, but last night I had an awesome dream that showed potential, for another story:

The Stargate is uncovered in 1920 and, instead of hidden, it is put to use. Maybe Hoover Dam is built a decade earlier to harness power to run it; for some reason it was in my dream. But Stargate teams were hiking around with Broomhamdle Mausers, Lee-Enfield .303s, K98's, rifle grenades, and Lewis guns, at one point squeezing a Renautl FT-17 tank and a Rolls-Royce armored car through the portal to battle the Jaff'a... I remember thinking that the heavier rounds of the weapons at that time would probably be effective against the Jaff'a, and the bolt-action rifles gave about the same rate of fire as the typical staff weapon seems to have, so I felt it would actually be about even... :lol:
But but.. we have no nukes... how are we .. to kill Goa'uld when they come with their ships?
Kreia
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Coyote wrote:I hate to throw a wrench into the works, but last night I had an awesome dream that showed potential, for another story:

Why not have both games running at the same time? Its certainly an interesting concept. Though I agree with Fingolfin_Noldor that once a ship arrives, we have big problems.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Oh, by the time the Goa'uld show up the Manhattan Project can be underway. Time would continue, after all, and eventually facing the Jaff'a with Thompsons, Bazookas, Panzershrecks, etc. :wink:
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Coyote wrote:Oh, by the time the Goa'uld show up the Manhattan Project can be underway. Time would continue, after all, and eventually facing the Jaff'a with Thompsons, Bazookas, Panzershrecks, etc. :wink:
A Manhattan project not driven by WWII.

Wow... that has potential. Imagine if Hitler or Stalin was one of those raving lunatics advocating Total War against the Goa'uld. :D
Kreia
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

Coyote, maybe you can add that idea as a subplot of the next SD.net World. :lol: It should make things quite interesting.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

So, time to put it to a vote? Star Wars post-Endor or Star Trek Gamma Quadrant?
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

I'm kind of torn. I'll support the result though, since either sounds fun.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

The Romulan Republic wrote:So, time to put it to a vote? Star Wars post-Endor or Star Trek Gamma Quadrant?
Is it necessary to put this post Endor? I was thinking an era where there's lots of Sith and Jedi might be interesting.
Kreia
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:So, time to put it to a vote? Star Wars post-Endor or Star Trek Gamma Quadrant?
Is it necessary to put this post Endor? I was thinking an era where there's lots of Sith and Jedi might be interesting.
I was going for what the most people seemed to support. However, I can alter it to include your option.

So the choice is now between Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant, or Star Wars, time period to be determined in a second vote. Is that acceptable, or would you prefer to structure the vote in some other manner?
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

Quite acceptable.
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well, after much thought I've decided I cannot choose. Hence, I abstain from voting.

Hmm, I guess I really should have put up a poll sooner. I've added one now, which will run for seven days (though I'd like to have started the game by then, really).

As for rules, I should note that if we do Star Wars I would suggest that they be basically similar to the ones I put forward for Trek, with some alterations to numbers and obviously different units.
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

The Romulan Republic wrote: As for rules, I should note that if we do Star Wars I would suggest that they be basically similar to the ones I put forward for Trek, with some alterations to numbers and obviously different units.
Perhaps, if Coyote doesn't mind(would be willing to help), we can use the points system they developed over on space battles? If not, then I guess we can make our own.

Also: I have voted for Star Wars.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Damnit. I intended to vote for Star Wars. Score one for blindness.
Kreia
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Well, 3:1:1, then.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum