SD.net's World OOC/Discussion thread MK IV

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

* whistles innocently *

Phase I: IRT OTH-B radar completes primary archipelago-facing nodes.
Phase II: IRT OTH-B radar completes full 360° coverage

Phase III: Alexandria OTH-B radar completes primary archipelago-facing nodes.
Phase IV: Alexandria OTH-B radar completes full 360° coverage

High-bandwidth, dedicated satellite uplinks are being investigated for this. Phase I is nearly complete.
Last edited by phongn on 2008-05-31 10:37am, edited 1 time in total.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

You magnificent bastard.

I wonder if the FUN could make its own radar and aim it outwards of the Central Sea. Would that cause some kind of interference with the IRT radar?

Also, I might be indisposed for a while. SDN World is taking too much of my time and I want to be free to do other things, like working on DINO EATER.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Phong might have posted what OTB was to those who don't know
Tulelake OTH-BOTH-B radar was developed to detect approaching Soviet bombers and cruise missiles while they were still thousands of miles out over the Pacific Ocean. However, the west coast facility was never put into operation because the Cold War ended just as it was being brought on line. A simliar facility in Maine was built prior to this one and had been operational for several years.

Following the Cold War, the east coast facility was used by NOAAH to monitor weather and sea conditions in the Atlantic Ocean, and it was also used to monitor air and marine traffic as an aid to drug interdiction. However, the cost to operate the facility was quite high, and it was eventually shut down.
These are big radar's that see over the horizon and were designed as noted for ICBM detection. They are of course damn useless for most other things unless backed up by plenty of process software due to the number of planes flying around generating returns. Not to mention deliberate attempts by UAR or the Mess to generate false returns or simply in the normal day to day affairs of training. Wikionia and Shepnukstain alone can generate enough false returns to make detection of an acutal attack impossible due to the ranges involved. For example Sheppard SAC planes would be doing racetracks over his land and water areas. Every day for hours at a time for weeks on end. If not 24 hours a day, 7 days a week 365 days a year, at least 100 days a year. And because of that, knowing Sheppard the first clue he would have is the fact the planes did not make a left as noted. However match that to civilian aircraft travel and the ranges involved and the missiles would already be in the air before they know what's happening.

Same thing via Wikonia. The ranges on this world are simply to short to make earily warning radar that useful... EXCEPT against ICBM's.... except no one bothers to use ICBM because again.

The ranges are to short.
So much of the initial force structor and design of this world was based off NATO and Warsaw thinking excepting.... except, the ranges are to short for those sorts of things to work. People have adjusted since then but this is a good example of highly useful old world technology that's mostly useless here.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

DarthShady wrote:Bear, i don't mind your guys being there, just as long as they don't cause any major problems. :wink:

And Bear, are you still building that base/factory thing in my country? :?
yes, however since Hughes Kaiser pulled out, it's going to be a conventional airport/seaport, with some airship capability, and a factory from Norse motors to build civilian vehicles, and to provide repair, rearment and replacement for my central seas Templar II GEV fleet. (the Templar IIs are made out of aircraft grade aluminum, carry a 30mm automatic gun, a .50cal remote gun, and have 4 hard points on the two stabilizer wings (keeps the GEV level during highspeeds and or rough seas) You will probably be able to get your own Templar II GEVS out of that deal)

The hard points can hold TOW, Hellfire, and MLLRS rockets, currently working on a SAM fire control upgrade for the Templar IIs)
Last edited by The Yosemite Bear on 2008-05-31 10:30am, edited 1 time in total.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Mr Bean wrote:These are big radar's that see over the horizon and were designed as noted for ICBM detection.
Did you even bother to read what you cited?
They are of course damn useless for most other things unless backed up by plenty of process software due to the number of planes flying around generating returns. Not to mention deliberate attempts by UAR or the Mess to generate false returns or simply in the normal day to day affairs of training. Wikionia and Shepnukstain alone can generate enough false returns to make detection of an actual attack impossible due to the ranges involved. For example Sheppard SAC planes would be doing racetracks over his land and water areas. Every day for hours at a time for weeks on end. If not 24 hours a day, 7 days a week 365 days a year, at least 100 days a year. And because of that, knowing Sheppard the first clue he would have is the fact the planes did not make a left as noted. However match that to civilian aircraft travel and the ranges involved and the missiles would already be in the air before they know what's happening.
Which, of course, is why I spent a couple years in-game developing this, especially the signals processing elements and this ties into the rest of my heavy investment into air/missile defense. I would've been well within my rights to just handwave it in (since it's pre-existing technology) but I took the long view (also have to account for local ionosphere conditions)
Same thing via Wikonia. The ranges on this world are simply to short to make earily warning radar that useful... EXCEPT against ICBM's.... except no one bothers to use ICBM because again.
Nothern Wilkonia is within the minimum range, anyways.
So much of the initial force structor and design of this world was based off NATO and Warsaw thinking excepting.... except, the ranges are to short for those sorts of things to work. People have adjusted since then but this is a good example of highly useful old world technology that's mostly useless here.
Tell that to Australia, who just built JORN.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Are there any detailed specifications for JORN out there?
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Random other notes:

The OTH-B systems aren't the only over-the-horizon radars I have, nor are they the only big radar systems I have. And why is everyone suddenly paying attention to this now? This is not new to the game, and it makes absolutely no sense in-character that everyone's going to suddenly trip over themselves to build one. Also, I'm being conservative with range and could jack up the power to cover, say, Byzantium (hell, I could extend the range to 3000 mi if I felt like it, which would let the Alexander site cover Wilkonia)

Bear: Will you sell airships to the IRT?
Last edited by phongn on 2008-05-31 10:46am, edited 1 time in total.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Some of us here aren't too familiar with radar systems but are OTH-B systems the best ones to use for detection or should we pair them with other systems like phased array systems?
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

BAM and Kontos Munitions commissioned to design a radar detection network for use in Byzantium and Shroomania.
You see, this is what I'm talking about. I didn't even post the specifications of the radar in the in-character thread and nobody has raised a fuss over the much older OTH-B development post and now that I do post something in the OOC thread there's suddenly interest?

It looks very much like you're using OOC knowledge to perform IC actions and people seriously have to ask why there's so much secrecy in the game?
Some of us here aren't too familiar with radar systems but are OTH-B systems the best ones to use for detection or should we pair them with other systems like phased array systems?
But if I give away all my secrets, you might not make a mistake and make it easier for the UAR to nuke you :cry:
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

phongn wrote:
Did you even bother to read what you cited?
Yes, they are big honking radar designed to detect incoming threats, except as noted, we have a very small world. It's a useful system when you have hundreds of miles of open ocean rather than less than a hundred. Of nations in the world you have one of the largest area of open ocean, but still its less than fifty miles worth. It's a huge amount of overkill, and that's my point.

phongn wrote:
Which, of course, is why I spent a couple years in-game developing this, especially the signals processing elements and this ties into the rest of my heavy investment into air/missile defense. I would've been well within my rights to just handwave it in (since it's pre-existing technology) but I took the long view (also have to account for local ionosphere conditions)
Which I commend you for, good job Phong, your scientists should be proud of a system able to detect and classify over a thousand separate sources(Civilian traffic is roughly 14-80 planes per country in the air at one time per country since so many of us are first world), plus military flights plus civilians because so many countries are first world you can be sure there's tons of little Cessna's running around joyriding. What I meant by my comments is to demonstrate the shear scale of how many planes your average first world country has, then add in civilian planes, now add in the fact there are twenty odd first world countries and over ten European sized countries.

phongn wrote:
Nothern Wilkonia is within the minimum range, anyways.
Assuming you fire from the northern side of your country and said ICBM's would bbe weak to being hit in the boost phase.
phongn wrote:
Tell that to Australia, who just built JORN.
And Austrailia has hundreds of miles of open ocean to look in.

Again it's the scale I'm pointing at that makes such a system useless for early warning. Sheppard need lever leave his airspace to open up on your country. Nor does Wikionia.

Hell Saddamstian does not even need to leave his airspace to launch cruise missiles to the IRT...

Not... that it's a good idea since the FUN, the Mess, and myself would all assume said cruise missile was meant for us. :lol:

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

OAN
I'm not objecting to you building the Radar Phong, I'm not objecting to the process software either. I'm crushing Shroom's hopes and dreams about the usefulness of a FUN based system. No need when all of the FUN's enemy's are within easy artillery reach of FUN countries.

For @#$$ sake, MRLS's can hit Shroomian islands from the UKB and vice-versa.
A war between say.... Shepnukstain and Cannasia would could have Howizters firing at each other from their home countries. People would have to go two or three miles inland to prevent Paladins and 152mm Soviet guns from hitting them.

We have a very small world, early waring radar's only useful if the enemy not already on your doorstep.
Last edited by Mr Bean on 2008-05-31 11:03am, edited 2 times in total.

Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

phongn wrote:You see, this is what I'm talking about. I didn't even post the specifications of the radar in the in-character thread and nobody has raised a fuss over the much older OTH-B development post and now that I do post something in the OOC thread there's suddenly interest?

It looks very much like you're using OOC knowledge to perform IC actions and people seriously have to ask why there's so much secrecy in the game?
Eh? I was interested in beefing up my air defences for a long time and I have no idea how to do it. Some of us here happened to be in countries with no sophisticated air defence network for us to look at and emulate.

As for the secrecy thing, plenty of us do that when it comes to commercial decisions. The only issue were cases where, for example, Shep pulled off nonsense with Ramsley, when the person RPing Ramsley was Stas and Stas didn't know of it until much later. That sort of secrecy is an absolute No no.

But if I give away all my secrets, you might not make a mistake and make it easier for the UAR to nuke you :cry:
Ok, I'm confused. What?
Kreia
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Well, when the FUN and the BAM and the Byzantium guys figure out that the OTH is overkill, we could go with a much more modest setup :)

Nuts to HUEG radars. Bean is right, our world works on a totally different dynamic.
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Mr Bean wrote:Of nations in the world you have one of the largest area of open ocean, but still its less than fifty miles worth. It's a huge amount of overkill, and that's my point.
Well, yes, it's overkill. But it also provides warning of second-wave attacks and whatnot - for example, if it were just Wilkonia vs. IRT, no, it doesn't really matter, but I'd have to worry about large air-raids coming in from the rest of them (or, for example, if FUN decided to throw down). This was never intended for monitoring single nations. Seriously - I did put thought into this instead of just thinking "ooh! gigantic range!"
What I meant by my comments is to demonstrate the shear scale of how many planes your average first world country has, then add in civilian planes, now add in the fact there are twenty odd first world countries and over ten European sized countries.
Is that any different from what an integrated air-defense system has to do anyways, or what the FAA does every day? Yes, it's extremely hard, I know that.
phongn wrote:Assuming you fire from the northern side of your country and said ICBM's would bbe weak to being hit in the boost phase.
I was referring to air attack in this instance.
Again it's the scale I'm pointing at that makes such a system useless for early warning. Sheppard need lever leave his airspace to open up on your country. Nor does Wikionia.
I'm not just worried about them, you know.
Hell Saddamstian does not even need to leave his airspace to launch cruise missiles to the IRT...
I'd like to have warning if lots of missiles are coming in, though :P
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Mr Bean wrote:We have a very small world, early waring radar's only useful if the enemy not already on your doorstep.
Right, but my positioning is fairly unique (and that of Alexandria) which makes this a more reasonable proposition. I'd rather not have first knowledge of an incoming missile attack when they cross my radar horizon, after all :P

EDIT: But if they really want to do some damage they'll have to come in with manned aircraft. I have plenty of tricks do deal with cruise missiles, after all.
Last edited by phongn on 2008-05-31 11:09am, edited 1 time in total.
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Well Indopal has big gold and copper deposits, and I am now looking or partners to help develope the resources!
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Raj Ahten wrote:Well Indopal has big gold and copper deposits, and I am now looking or partners to help develop the resources!
Tonkin International Mining?
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

phongn wrote:
Raj Ahten wrote:Well Indopal has big gold and copper deposits, and I am now looking or partners to help develop the resources!
Tonkin International Mining?
Well, they came to mind first :D I want to wait and see if anyone else wants to try, though Tonkin likely ocntrols most of the market and can give Indhopal the best deal.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

phongn wrote:
Mr Bean wrote:We have a very small world, early waring radar's only useful if the enemy not already on your doorstep.
Right, but my positioning is fairly unique (and that of Alexandria) which makes this a more reasonable proposition. I'd rather not have first knowledge of an incoming missile attack when they cross my radar horizon, after all :P
Build a tower then, 22 mile horizon is only true if it's on ground level. Both Beowulf and I have nice big mountains to build Radar's atop to make those ranges thirty, forty or even fifty miles. Or just get by with the occasional E-3. An AWACS system can see a good 200 miles.

Note again, all these are alternatives for everyone else, as noted, OTB only makes sense for you because of your position, I'm not going to call on you to tear down this radar(rf) but instead say, you do have other options. Radar's on large sticks, airborne radar's. And of course the fleet.

phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Mr Bean wrote:Note again, all these are alternatives for everyone else, as noted, OTB only makes sense for you because of your position, I'm not going to call on you to tear down this radar(rf) but instead say, you do have other options. Radar's on large sticks, airborne radar's. And of course the fleet.
Right, I do have E-767s flying around plus I'm considering building large radar airships for high-altitude, high-endurance patrol. And, of course, mountaintop radars, but those only go so far.

My fleet is pretty small, though, which is a big problem for survivable naval surveillance.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Shroomania is investing in stratellites - high altitude airships with communications and sensor equipment. We COULD sell 'em to you, but you HAD to blow that nuke up in the Central Sea to piss off the FUN :P

*sighs* I wish relations would normalize with Shepnukistan again. We have these containers full of gay porno, with no one to deliver them too

v__v
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:Shroomania is investing in stratellites - high altitude airships with communications and sensor equipment. We COULD sell 'em to you, but you HAD to blow that nuke up in the Central Sea to piss off the FUN :P
Well, I was considering out in the Open Sea, but it was much more fun to tweak everyone's noses. Plus, the water is nice and calm in the Central Sea, which is useful for testing. Besides, nobody actually got hurt, eh? And your companies are probably unhappy about the loss of trade. All you had to do was just produce a bunch of formal protests and noises instead of moving to the far more severe retaliation of a complete trade embargo.
*sighs* I wish relations would normalize with Shepnukistan again. We have these containers full of gay porno, with no one to deliver them too
Hey man, that was YOUR choice to cut off trade with the UAR! No whining! :P
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Mr Bean wrote:Phong might have posted what OTB was to those who don't know
The LSR is build three, count 'em, three under the name Large Perimeter Acquisition Radars. Image
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Lonestar wrote:The LSR is build three, count 'em, three under the name Large Perimeter Acquisition Radars. Image
I thought those were just conventional large radars like the ones used for BMEWS?
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

phongn wrote: I thought those were just conventional large radars like the ones used for BMEWS?
Hmmm...I had actually assumed they were one and the same, my bad. The PARs would be eventually tied into a ABM system, right now they'll just be giving early warning.

I retract, the PARs are more like the Pave Paws system.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."