SD.net's World OOC/Discussion thread MK II

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Inspiried by Coyote's latest discussion with Q, I've decided to try and explore the human side of our experiences. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm just a 23 year old guy who's suddenly found himself entrusted with the lives and welfare of 30 million people, and forced now to work on an international stage, balancing the line between peace and war.

That's quite a heavy burden for someone. Especially someone who never asked for it and quite literally had it thrust into his lap one day.

So I figured it might be fun to try and explore this aspect of the scenario we find ourselves in, in addition to all the usual economic, scientific, and military aspects that we have so far persued.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Leviathan (Leviathan Saddamistani)-Amphibious Vector of Sharks with both gills and lungs and legs allowing it to walk on land and run at 20 Kilometers per hour over short distances (about 50 meters). Main armament being teeth with immense and claws on frontal limbs. Adults between six and ten meters long and weigh between 500 and 1250 Kilograms. Omnivorous, but prefers meat and hunts socially, making use of ambush tactics with dull green on darker dull green stripes. Has large kidneys like a Bullshark allowing it to penitrate and subsist on salt water. Hermaphroditic and able to produce large litters of pups that take some time to develop their lungs to the point of being able to survive out of water for prolonged periods. Lives in shallow seas moving on land at certain periods.

Noctodile-The northern reletive of the Leviathan found near the Bear Republic. Has a more general shark shaped tail fluke compared to the leaf shaped tail of the Leviathan and is not known to migrate.

(Image by shroomy of a Noctodile, who did a decent job at covering the Leviathan Family)

Kraken (Kraken Imperious)-Deep Sea giant celpholopod about 30 to 40 meters long able to adapt to low pressure enviroments (IE go to the surface) and hunt for prey. Like the Terran Colossal Squid, has hooks on it's tenticles. Posssibly capable of social behavior, or at least engages in feeding frenzies. Reproductive charecteristics unknown, Hirohito Institue doing research.

Hypothetical Marine Tool User-Mammalian, has dexterous manipulator apendages and intelligence to use tools. Population size notably limited by the fact that they were in fact a hoax and don't actually exist.

Zor

Edited Marine Tool Users
Last edited by Zor on 2008-04-23 08:07pm, edited 2 times in total.
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

update:

Religion and Politics in the Bear Republic

Major Religions of the Bear Republic.

Christian and Various Sects.
Shamanistic Catholic Sects: includes both Native American and Voodun sub cultures, accused by other christian sects of not being true christians because they openly gain funds by selling indulgences such as "Sacramental Drugs" or the "Erzulie" chain of brothels.
Hubologists: a rather secretive group often believed to be responsible for many things. considered to be a cross between Scientologists and Masons.
Norse Fundamentalists: Currently led by a man known as Seth Wulfgarm the Bloody, barely obey the letter of the laws. known to have thuroughly taken over the law enforcement organizations within the Bear Republic, just so that they could perform executions as a means of observing "Ritual Sacrafice to the All Father".
Ethnic Jihadists: known for their frequent fights with the Norse Fundamentalists. Imagine a cross between Omar Little and Malcom X....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Also note the "Cave Dolphins" have been revealed to be a hoax. The initial reports show that they are humans with surgical alterations, and realistic looking coustumes created by a film company for a TV show, and then used to boost tourism.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

Are there any nations with the necessary tooling to make IAI Kfirs? I'd like to get involved with New Patria's HAL Tejas project, and for FY2010, I need a cheap fighter to fill in the gap until the Tejas can be produced and delivered in quantity. Besides, with a price tag of US$4.5 million per unit (or so Wikipedia says), how can I go wrong?

I wonder if replacing the J79 turbojet with an F404 or F110 turbofan, swapping out the twin DEFA guns for a BK-27 or a GSh-23-2, and making it compatible with both NATO and Warsaw Pact missiles will drive up the price, though...
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Shinn Langley Soryu wrote:Are there any nations with the necessary tooling to make IAI Kfirs? I'd like to get involved with New Patria's HAL Tejas project, and for FY2010, I need a cheap fighter to fill in the gap until the Tejas can be produced and delivered in quantity. Besides, with a price tag of US$4.5 million per unit (or so Wikipedia says), how can I go wrong?

I wonder if replacing the J79 turbojet with an F404 or F110 turbofan, swapping out the twin DEFA guns for a BK-27 or a GSh-23-2, and making it compatible with both NATO and Warsaw Pact missiles will drive up the price, though...
Well, I do have my Lance fighters which are F/A-18 and F-15 equivalents depending on variants. We can do a cheaper version of the Lance, depending on what you want.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

He needs a Dassault Mirage III modified by IAF. That means to make it you need to ahve at least some Dassault infrastructure, perferrably the one used to make various versions of Mirage.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Sure, they're $4.5 million... but that's probably in 1975 dollars. That's close to $18 million today. Inflation sucks, don't it? You should probably see about someone selling you surplus equipment instead. Also, modifications take time to verify that they'll work correctly (changing guns has been known to cause engine stalls), as well as money. I think my AT-45Ds should be ready for production in FY2010 timeframe, for a price tag significantly less than $18 million.

He doesn't need a Mirage III, he needs a cheap lightweight fighter. That also tosses out the F-18/F-15 type fighters. As I noted earlier, I'm developing the AT-45D for the major purpose of selling to other countries as a low cost strike fighter. Projected carriage is 4 underwing hard points, mounting AMRAAMs, drop tanks or bombs, 2 wingtip rails for AIM-9s, and a centerline hardpoint for any of the above, or a gun pod.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Shinn Langley Soryu wrote:Are there any nations with the necessary tooling to make IAI Kfirs? I'd like to get involved with New Patria's HAL Tejas project, and for FY2010, I need a cheap fighter to fill in the gap until the Tejas can be produced and delivered in quantity. Besides, with a price tag of US$4.5 million per unit (or so Wikipedia says), how can I go wrong?

Tell you what, I'm needing to save some money in my budget for some projects that I have yet to detail, I could loan you (at say 1.5 million per plane per year) 6 F-16Cs and 2 F-16Ds (I have 8 Cs and 8 Ds and I really just don't need to many fighters with my drones and P-3s). That would cost you ... 12 million per year for a fourth gen fighter, which is a damn good deal.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Yeah, I concur with Beowulf.

Even second-hand Kfirs now sold on the market have a tag of around $8 million (2007-2008).

Newly built Kfirs, as Beowulf correctly posts, will cost around 18-20 million which is also correct.

EDIT: some up to date OMSK information (thanks Bean for reminding me to up it)!

OMSK Members:
Republic of Shepnukistan, United Kingdom of Blackadder, Red Technocracy, Republic of Vulpesia, Duchy of Langley, Kingdom of New Patria, Byzantium, Crossroadia

OMSK annexed administered territory: Neverhood

OMSK General Statistics:
Land Area: 3 342 000 km²
Population: 205,3 million
Combined GDP: 5,075 trillion
Combined Troop Strength: 2 500 000
Pooled military budget: abscent, individual allocations to joint venture projects to maintain additional secrecy

Nations' defense expenses for the passing FY 2009 NE, despite the lack of a common budget, if pooled, would amount to around ~231 billion

EDIT: Question: given that per the OP neither Duchies nor Principalities (Qudlivun Free State and Kingdom of New Patria) have a developed arms industry, how do they make top-notch military drones? ;)
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I have been gone for almost a week... uhh... what did I miss?
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

nothing too big.

wanna partner on this?
http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic. ... 08#2758608

;)

also Pezook wants a persn from Shroomania for questioning for terrorist ties

Me and Shadow found 2 demanded guys in our nations. Shady's guy was questioned already. Mine is pending Pezook. Yours is not found still

Assalti Frontali
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Hmmmm..... anarchists are against the ISCA, which Canissia just joined....

PLOTHOOK!
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Due to a lack of energy, I'm dropping out of the game, leaving my Kingdom, with it's spectacular 10% growth rates, fuelled by a high level of technology and education to be administrated by my beloved overlords of the OMSK.

And the Neverhood was fine, So long as Nothing Went Wrong.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

DEATH wrote:Due to a lack of energy, I'm dropping out of the game, leaving my Kingdom, with it's spectacular 10% growth rates, fuelled by a high level of technology and education to be administrated by my beloved overlords of the OMSK.

And the Neverhood was fine, So long as Nothing Went Wrong.
You were still in? :? :P
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Redleader34
Jedi Knight
Location: Flowing through the Animated Ether, finding unsusual creations

Post by Redleader34 »

So, I made a post about the pirate issues. Does anyone know where the pirates are comming from? I mean, they do come from Terra Liberia, but are there any other havens of the Pirate Menace?
Dan's Art

Bounty on SDN's most annoying
"A spambot, a spambot who can't spell, a spambot who can't spell or spam properly and a spambot with tenure. Tough"choice."

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

There is still Syndromia, and a lot of other nations... I mean, harbor security probably isn't that tight...
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Vohu Manah
Jedi Knight

Post by Vohu Manah »

Stas Bush wrote:EDIT: Question: given that per the OP neither Duchies nor Principalities (Qudlivun Free State and Kingdom of New Patria) have a developed arms industry, how do they make top-notch military drones? ;)
Blatantly steal Old Earth designs. An UAV is mostly off-the-shelf products, it is just a matter of how you fit them together. Apparently you feel that we shouldn't be able to do anything without a sponsoring nation and if that is the case why bother with smaller nations.
There are two kinds of people in the world: the kind who think it’s perfectly reasonable to strip-search a 13-year-old girl suspected of bringing ibuprofen to school, and the kind who think those people should be kept as far away from children as possible … Sometimes it’s hard to tell the difference between drug warriors and child molesters.” - Jacob Sullum[/size][/align]
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

They can buy from Shroomania! :)
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

I was thinking that a lot of the pirates --those who are not just independents-- are probably coming from Libertopia, securing finances for warlord factions.

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

50-1,000 posts (or having a negative custom title) -Dutchy

-Able to meet local demands for basic foodstuffs, as well as having a single industry/resource export of note, GDP $6,250,000,000 USD per year

1,001-2,500 posts-Principality

-Able to meat local food demands, as well as having some local manufacuring of consumer goods and resource export, GDP $62,500,000,000 USD per year

2,501-5,000 Posts-Kingdom

-Able to produce enough food for export, with industry capable of producing largescale goods such as cars, modern arms industry and some shipbuilding, GPD-$375,000,000,000 USD per year
Those aren't my words.

But technically, I'm not against small nations building drones. You could probably develop/steal design and assemble the drone from imported material.

Just make it at least somewhat relevant to your specialization, and this is merely a suggestion.

After all, "single industry of note" means you can have other industries too, but they are not very developed.

Assalti Frontali
Vohu Manah
Jedi Knight

Post by Vohu Manah »

Stas Bush wrote:Those aren't my words.

But technically, I'm not against small nations building drones. You could probably develop/steal design and assemble the drone from imported material.

Just make it at least somewhat relevant to your specialization, and this is merely a suggestion.

After all, "single industry of note" means you can have other industries too, but they are not very developed.
And there are dozens of companies producing UAVs of various sizes in the real world. They aren't that difficult to produce (almost any semi-competent government should be able to pull them off). I'd agree with you if I said I was producing a F-22 out of nothing.
There are two kinds of people in the world: the kind who think it’s perfectly reasonable to strip-search a 13-year-old girl suspected of bringing ibuprofen to school, and the kind who think those people should be kept as far away from children as possible … Sometimes it’s hard to tell the difference between drug warriors and child molesters.” - Jacob Sullum[/size][/align]
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Stas Bush wrote:EDIT: Question: given that per the OP neither Duchies nor Principalities (Qudlivun Free State and Kingdom of New Patria) have a developed arms industry, how do they make top-notch military drones? ;)
I sunk a large part of my Military R&D from Year One into the project (and the fact that I mothballed most of my army (I have less than a brigade sized force). And my main industry was/is machine tools.

My military right now is 2 frigates (one is up for mothballing), 4 Patrol boats, one Nike Battery (4 sites), 6 active fighters, 8 P-3 varients, 4 C-130s, and a drone squadron. I have very little firepower, and seeing as I offered the AD-3E for export earlier in the game [link].

Plus the fact that I can offer it at a lower price as I've already sunk in the money to make them.

And Stas - Drones and Electras are all I currently make (the Tejas is still years away, and I'm having to partner with others to make it happen in a reasonable amount of time - but don't worry it will use RT weapons).
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Okay, I'm fine iwth the drones . Was just wondering :)

Assalti Frontali
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Why do we want nukes? Because they're fun. :D
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944