40K Dark Heresy: The Recondite War

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

“One of two psykers. Gentlemen, meet Sanctionite Magnus Arterra, another comrade in the struggle against the foes of the emperor,” he said, nodding Arterra to a seat, seeming disarmingly pleasant, “I suggest that one of you pretend to be an astropath, and the other some kind of glorified cyber-mastiff…”

He turned to the tech priest, “Equipment isn’t that important in such things, so much as willpower, I’m told. Though I’ve taken the liberty of having a number of appropriate restraints and drugs prepared among your baggage, just to look convincing. If there’s anything else you can think of, speak, and I shall aim to provide it when you reach Askelphion”

He looked at Darien, “While a renegade tech priest is uncommon, it’s not terribly unlikely to find one on such a secondment. Few truly question the mysteries of our friend’s order, and they often have agents to use to generate goodwill with other servants of the Emperor...”
Jaevric
Jedi Knight

Post by Jaevric »

Darien nods in agreement, admitting "True enough. And just because you go looking for heretics and witches doesn't mean you won't stumble across something of interest to the Cult Mechanicus, I suppose. A few purity seals or litanies affixed to our equipment should convince a casual observer we really are with the Ecclesiarchy easily enough. Besides, if we do get in a fight with a rogue psyker I'll take all the help I can get. Aside from that, hopefully this Proctor will be thrilled enough that help has arrived to not ask any questions we won't be able to answer convincingly."
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

Figuring now was as good a time as any, Eli stepped forward and retrieved his rosette. Slipping it into one of the easily secured pockets on his armour. Wondering about the bullet wound fellows statement about purity seals he puts his concerns to voice "will that pass muster? I'm not to famillar with Ecclesiarchy customs, a chap wandering around in flak with a lasgun isn't going to attract attention, purity seals or not? I'd rather not part with them".
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
Jaevric
Jedi Knight

Post by Jaevric »

Darien shrugs, and says, "I admit this isn't my area of expertise, but a bunch of chaps with assorted guns and sharp objects are going to attract attention regardless. Seems to me we're better off playing to that and looking like a bunch of people who are supposed to be walking around armed to the teeth. And Ecclesiarchy Witch Hunters are not known for their timidity or their patience; nobody really wants to ask them too many questions about what they're doing, because it's a fast way to get shot for heresy. After all, a true servant of the Emperor would never question the authority of the Ecclesiarchy."

In a different tone of voice, that last statement might have been considered sarcastic or even heretical. When Darien says it, there is little doubt that he is completely serious; his voice carries absolute conviction.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Looking up at the beautiful estate in front of him, Scar sighed. He was not comfortable in such surroundings and he was sure it was going to show. Shaking his head, he steeled himself and entered through the large arch, waving his invitation at the doorman as he passed. Seeing a servant passing by he stopped her to ask for directions and upon recieving them, moved to the meeting room.

Stopping in the doorway, he stared at the surroundings, taking in the group in front of him, and the sheer opulence of the room. "Too much," Scar muttered to himself. The large man entered the room and took a seat, dropping his backpack at the foot of his chair. His face was covered in strange scar patterns and warpaint, and hints of the same could be seen under his sleeves.

"I am Scar," he said, looking at the others, "Like you I was summoned, I assume I have missed something, so if you would, please fill me in."
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

For now, the Lord said nothing, waiting for one of the acolytes to fill in the new arrival; it would show him their comprehension of the mission. There was, after all, still time.
Jaevric
Jedi Knight

Post by Jaevric »

Darien turns to the new arrival and nods a greeting.

"It seems that a number of psykers have been disappearing from a fortress on Askelphion Secundus where they were being held while awaiting processing by the Black Ships. To make matters worse, the Proctor has been trying to hire a group of witch finders to investigate the situation--bringing outsiders into Inquisition business, probably to cover up his own ineptitude rather than have to admit to his superiors that he lost some psykers.

"We are to travel to the planet and present ourselves at the fortress, the Keep of Sighs, as mercenary witch hunters. At that time we are to find out how many psykers the Proctor has lost, what happened to them, and if at all possible recover the psykers and punish the wrongdoers. I presume 'punish the wrongdoers' is the polite way of saying 'put a bullet in their heads if they resist, hand them over for conversion into servitors if they don't.' We have a mandate from the Inquisition but it seems our master would prefer us to keep a low profile. I tend to concur, at least until we get close enough to the problem to grab it by the throat when it tries to run away."

Pausing to collect his thoughts, he finishes, "We are currently planning the best means of passing ourselves off as hired witch hunters. My own notion was to acquire some purity seals and litany scrolls to decorate our equipment from a chapel on this planet, then let anyone who deals with us assume we are operating under an Ecclesiarchy mandate rather than an Inquisitorial one. If you have any suggestions on the matter, feel free to speak up. We will only have a day or so on the transport to Askelphion to get to know each other and make further plans, so the more we can do now the better off we are. Besides, this way if something happens to us someone will know what we were trying to do--and the next team they send can go at the problem from a different angle."
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

The robed psyker turns in his seat, the movement setting the dangling belt and its contents swaying back and forth. His voice speaks up, an undertone of dry humor clear in it, "Given that I left my spare Guard regiment in my other robes, I'd register my agreement with the 'I'm not here to condemn you for heresy, honest!' approach. As for the trickier parts of that masquerade..." He looks over towards the second psyker, "So, astropath, or arsenal with legs?"
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

"To be honest, I know nothing of Psykers, or Witches, or the Priesthood. Although you'll find that I learn quickly. I assume that you will want me to act as some sort of bodyguard?" Scar said, shifting uncomfortably in his chair, and glancing around the room.
Xenophobe3691
Sith Marauder

Post by Xenophobe3691 »

Magnus looks at his silver skin and voidborn features, "I'll take the astropath, if you don't mind." He glances again at the door, and sighs. "I don't look forward to seeing that mob again..."

He explains what happened at his arrival in the spaceport, and the near lynch mob that gathered around him. After telling the story, he shrinks inward into the robes, as if he were nervous about even being here.

Magnus pulled out a small glass marble, and started playing with it while humming. Tension disappeared from his face, and he started looking as if he weren't terrified of...something.
Dark Heresy: Dance Macabre - Imperial Psyker Magnus Arterra

BoTM
Proud Decepticon

Post 666 Made on Fri Jul 04, 2003 @ 12:48 pm
Post 1337 made on Fri Aug 22, 2003 @ 9:18 am
Post 1492 Made on Fri Aug 29, 2003 @ 5:16 pm

Hail Xeno: Lord of Calculus -- Ace Pace
Zablorg
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zablorg »

"Maybe some Emperor cultists that have gone a bit too far..." he mused.

"In any case, all I request is some time to purchase some items and perhaps.." he said with a slight smirk "Practice my trade? As I am sure you all know, I am not as respected nor well paid as say," he gestured towards Mercurius.

"...and as such circumstance has left me with not nearly enough money to buy pretty things that make holes in people."
Jupiter Oak Evolution!
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Eli the Privateer, placed the rosette inside his worn coveralls, where it began to feel very heavy. He knew the responisibility, however the mention of the black ships and the sight of a second psycher, chilled him. As any good space bred child knew, If you fail in his eyes, when the crew releases your body from the embrace of Mother Ship, the black ships will find you, and your soul will know eternal torment as your body atones for your crimes in life as a servator, ever aware but unable to speak.

looking around Reilly took stock of his shabby, worn gear, well equipped he may not be. Strong of faith he was, those who live out in the void, tend to go insane from the vast emptyness, or the warp travel nightmares, those who were born to it, were strong, for the black had no mercy. carefully Reilly intoned a prayer for the souls of his lost family, of the people who had lived aboard the Wolfmother, only himself, and Pai really remained. He was pretty sure she was still alive, she had sucessfully brought the ship back to be broken down, and Navis (even half bloods like Pai) were too valuable to simply kill.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

Plucking at the cuff of one sleeve, Ajax pulls it back to reveal a thin, pale-skinned arm of his own, "I'm not entirely certain I look the part either, but fair's fair. Perhaps I should snarl?" He bares his teeth in an experimental grimace, then shrugs, "No matter, I'll work something out."

He turns his attention to the other discussion going on with a slight shake of his head, "Fast transport here, fast transport to our target...I doubt the Inquisitor wishes us to dawdle. Unless you want to assume leadership and then take the blame when we get there a day too late to stop something unpleasant?"
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Zablorg
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zablorg »

Crom set aside his fear of psykers for a minute and walked up to Ajax, inspecting him.

"Hmm. You're right, you definitely don't look the part. Now here's what I figure; you don't look nearly rugged and thick-armed enough to get a scum look about you..." he began to pace around him.

"But you do have a nice sophisticated look about you. I'm thinking if you get enough shady robes and such you might be able to pass off as a shady sort of character?"
Jupiter Oak Evolution!
Lancer
Sith Marauder

Post by Lancer »

"If we require purity seals, then I can prepare them. All I would need are some blank parchment scrolls and wax to seal them with.* If some could be added to my baggage as well, I could prepare them before our arrival." He took a look at the ragtag garb of several of his companions. "Perhaps some proper clothing for them as well. We should at least attempt to maintain the appearance of professionalism, lest we be barred from meeting with the Lord Proctor before we can even begin our investigation."

* - Trade (Copyist)
Zablorg
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zablorg »

"Uh, question?" Crom asked.

"How far are we allowed to take the motto "The ends justify the means" around here? Not to bring anything to attention," he looked shiftily at the Arbitor "but I have some experience in certain acts that are... less than legitimate and might help us."
Last edited by Zablorg on 2008-03-23 11:39pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jupiter Oak Evolution!
Jaevric
Jedi Knight

Post by Jaevric »

Darien frowns, arms folded across his chest, then shrugs and says "How much less than legitimate? I would prefer not to complete this task then have to shoot myself for heresy or violation of Imperial Law."

He pauses a moment, then smiles slightly, and says "Local ordinances are, of course, another matter entirely. The Adeptus Arbites does not concern itself with such minor issues. That is the purview of the planetary law enforcement officials."

Turning to Mercurius, he adds, "I would prefer to acquire real purity seals if possible. After all, we are dealing with rogue psykers. To have the Emperor's blessings on our persons, legitimately, would strengthen our minds and souls against our foes. Though I suppose with the time constraints we are dealing with we may have to go with the counterfeit ones."

Catching himself, he shrugs in embarassment. "Of course, I'm not in charge of this little venture to the best of my knowledge," he mumbles, "I just feel it unwise to get in the habit of breaking the law more than absolutely required to get the job done."
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Regis glanced again at the hourglass, as drew near to running out, “Indeed. Doubtless you can find a priest qualified to administer appropriate rites of purity on board the vessel. I shall see if I can have your other requests met at your destination. You have no more time. Beyond that door,” he pointed a slender, yet full and healthy, finger to a side door, a narrow arch in the metals of the wall, up seven flights of stairs, “Is a direct route to a landing pad. There you will find a ministorum issue Arvus Lighter, which you will be able to take into orbit to rendevous with the Skaelen-Har fast transport,” his words became sterner by the moment, “Kestrel, it will take you to your destination, but it is to leave soon, and will not delay. You have little time. Go. Now. Before it’s too late.”
Xenophobe3691
Sith Marauder

Post by Xenophobe3691 »

Magnus heard the tone of Regis' voice and knew that he wasn't going to coddle them. Trusting in his preparations, he still felt extremely uneasy at the thought of being first in line to walk up the flight of stairs.

Fighting his own paranoia, he stood up and walked to the arch in the stairs. Hesitating just before the door, he called out, "Last one up is Grox refuse!" He bounded up the stairs, as quickly as his void-born legs would allow him.

Each step up brought a sense of giddy excitement to his blinkered soul. Soon he would be back in space, the only place that was good and proper to him and his folk. He wondered just what kind of traditions this ship would have, and what kind of quirks and oddities the crew exhibited...
Dark Heresy: Dance Macabre - Imperial Psyker Magnus Arterra

BoTM
Proud Decepticon

Post 666 Made on Fri Jul 04, 2003 @ 12:48 pm
Post 1337 made on Fri Aug 22, 2003 @ 9:18 am
Post 1492 Made on Fri Aug 29, 2003 @ 5:16 pm

Hail Xeno: Lord of Calculus -- Ace Pace
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Eli practically ran up the stairs, an ARVIS, he had only experience with craft in much worse conditions, but he knew the rituals, and actually loved flying. First toss something small outside the craft to confuse and destract the gremlins those daemons of malicious function, then to begin the vigil of warming the flyer's spirit, and prayers for safe transit, well there probably wasn't going to be any shooting this time, so prayers for shielding and true fire were probably not needed....

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

I had to jinx myself...

Ajax winces, then gives a rueful smile as the identity of his transit is spelled out. With a shrug, he stands, nodding curtly to the figure behind the desk as he buckles on his belt over his robe. Without further ado, he turns and hurries towards the door, the pauses for a moment, turns back to scoop up the staff he'd left by his seat, and then vanishes out the open doorway.

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

If there were any shooting, he would not be doing it anyway; while some Arvus lighters had autoguns, or even lascannons, this one was a stock model, but for its holy aquila markings, from a workshop the Lathes, and unarmed. The vessel sat on a landing pad rather too large for it, high in the clean yet difficult to draw air beyond the spire, its variable wings tucked in at its side, and its solitary, rear ramp down.

Inside, was a large compartment, with eight fold down seats, and a chest in the centre of the floor, unlocked, containing, if one cared to look, clothes, a few tomes - perhaps from the Count's library, they certainly looked valuable - of Imperial Lore and Judgement, and the goods that had been left at the hive's star port. For while the nature of the Lord's work was not known to the denizens who did his will in the hive, it was a simple matter to take the belongings of another, if one had authority.

The forward compartment showed that the craft was fuelled and ready, its detachable seat accessed through a small hatch, in a protruding cockpit with a commanding view of the silty seas and cityscape beyond the landing pad.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Grabbing his pack from the floor, Scar moved out the indicated door. Sparing a brief glance at the landing pad, he noted it was a scaled down, but more advanced looking version of the ones he was used to seeing while he'd been in the Guard. Keeping his face completely expressionless Scar strode up the landing ramp and took a seat as far from the door as possible. Grabbing one of the books of lore, he started thumbing through the pages, pausing on the difficult words. Motioning to the psyker who had decided to pretend to be an Astropath, he asked "What's this word?"
Lancer
Sith Marauder

Post by Lancer »

Once inside the passenger compartment, Mercurius moved to the center of the crowded chamber and outstretched his arms, careful to avoid contact with the other passengers. With his eyes closed, he began chanting a litany to attune himself to the ebbs and flows of the machine spirit of this craft and invoke the Omnissiah's blessing upon them both. Hidden under his robes, little arcs of power danced across electoo inductors previously hidden throughout his skin, moving sympathetically with the currents flowing through the craft. He stood in such a manner for a minute, stopping once he attained harmony with the shuttle.

Once the ritual was complete, he took a seat and strapped himself in, to the confused stares of those around him. Af it were all the explanation in the world, he stated "This shuttle has been blessed by the Omnissiah."
Jaevric
Jedi Knight

Post by Jaevric »

Striding up the stairs and boarding the Arvus, Darien grunts in mixed annoyance and satisfaction at the sight of his Arbites-issue duffel shoved under one seat. On the one hand, he'd been more than slightly embarassed when he realized he'd left his gear at the starport because of his concerns about drawing attention -- hah! As if a mere Arbitrator will stand out in this crowd! On the other, it was obvious someone had been keeping an eye on him and had made arrangements to have his gear taken care of. And Darien hadn't noticed a thing.

It seems, he thought to himself, that paranoia is going to have to become even more of a habit than it was already.

Quickly, he opens the duffel to make sure his gear is inside; the gleaming steel of a shotgun, not Arbites issue unfortunately, and a long truncheon were visible as well as his neatly-folded unform. Resealing the bag, Darien took his seat and strapped himself in, turning to the nearest of his companions to introduce himself and begin trying to figure out a way to get this job done with as many of them surviving as possible.