Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Siege
Sith Marauder

Re: SDNWorld Redux: Story Thread the Fourth

Post by Siege »

IN GODDAMN UNREAL TIME

At the Conference...

Lonestar wrote:"Commissioner," Boomed Vladimir Berman "Since you have so casually tossed FTO to the wind, are we to assume that you've tossed BIOCOM as well? It would, after all, make your weapons programs much easier to develop without nasty little things like 'legality', in the way, wouldn't it?"
"If you had cared to do your homework and read the Treaty of Incorporation", Duquesne replied icily, "you would know that it specifically mentions the NFT as being beholden to the BIOCOM treaty. Something which BIOCOM itself would've been able to tell you as well. What the agency also would be able to tell you is that the NFT has no biological weapons program, irregardless of whatever you may happen to believe. But by all means, don't let such droll things as facts get in the way of your scaremongering."
Beowulf wrote:"Right, you didn't want to have to follow the terms so that you could abandon the very organization you spearheaded, and leave it to wither. Of course the sovereign Empire of Tian Xia didn't sign that idiotic pact. There was much to lose, and nothing to gain from doing so. Yet, we did act as if the strictures of the pact applied until your own nation decided to invite further foreign forces into Frequesque.

"It was doomed from the start anyways. There are ways to have done what you wanted, but that wasn't one of them. Of course, those ways would have required a will, which was sorely lacking. We don't object to the San Doradan presence in the northern buffer zone of Costa. We do object to the way you sold out your allies in order to become the lapdog of the Communists. Conveniently for you, there is no enforcement provision in the pact, so there are no consequences to your blatant and unrepentant violations of the pact."
For a scant few seconds Duquesne simply stared at the Tian Xian ambassador. Finally she replied, her voice thick with sarcasm: "Thank you for sharing that fascinating insight into the paranoid mind of your Empire, Mr. Doyle. Now if your little outburst is quite done, I suggest we get back to the main issue of this summit. Unless any of you have any other 'objections' to the wily ways of the NFT? We'll be glad to note them; I'm told there's going to be a ticker tape parade in San Dorado soon and I bet they can use the paper."
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

IN GODDAMN UNREAL TIME

At the Conference...

"If you had cared to do your homework and read the Treaty of Incorporation", Duquesne replied icily, "you would know that it specifically mentions the NFT as being beholden to the BIOCOM treaty. Something which BIOCOM itself would've been able to tell you as well. What the agency also would be able to tell you is that the NFT has no biological weapons program, irregardless of whatever you may happen to believe. But by all means, don't let such droll things as facts get in the way of your scaremongering."
"Your nation, as the successor to San Dorado, has given us no reason, none, to believe that you desire to be honest in the global stage. Spectacular rage zombies that, completely magically, appear in your capital, jettisoning the neutrality pact while allegedly retaining BIOCOM...no, it is clear that the so-called NFT is using CATO as an umbrella to dominate the F-ing continent." Berman said. "Having spent several hundred years sharing a continent with the Shepistani kingdoms, we know what preparations for a war of aggression looks like."
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

IN WHOOP-DEE UNREAL TIME

At the Conference...

Lonestar wrote:"Your nation, as the successor to San Dorado, has given us no reason, none, to believe that you desire to be honest in the global stage. Spectacular rage zombies that, completely magically, appear in your capital, jettisoning the neutrality pact while allegedly retaining BIOCOM...no, it is clear that the so-called NFT is using CATO as an umbrella to dominate the F-ing continent." Berman said. "Having spent several hundred years sharing a continent with the Shepistani kingdoms, we know what preparations for a war of aggression looks like."
"I'm sure the Old Dominion, having recently conquered, press-ganged or otherwise intimidated its way to full control of the Impact Archipelago, knows a thing or two about wars of aggression", Duquesne replied venomously. "Now is there some kind of point buried in all that badly composed rhetoric, or shall I just put your exhortations on the ticker tape parade pile right away?" She looked away from the Old Dominion ambassador to address the hall directly. "Ladies, gentlemen, I was under the impression that we were here to find a way to ensure a future of mutual understanding, not to sling juvenile accusations at each other. Perhaps this impression was wrong?"
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

"I'm sure the Old Dominion, having recently conquered, press-ganged or otherwise intimidated its way to full control of the Impact Archipelago, knows a thing or two about wars of aggression", Duquesne replied venomously. "Now is there some kind of point buried in all that badly composed rhetoric, or shall I just put your exhortations on the ticker tape parade pile right away?" She looked away from the Old Dominion ambassador to address the hall directly. "Ladies, gentlemen, I was under the impression that we were here to find a way to ensure a future of mutual understanding, not to sling juvenile accusations at each other. Perhaps this impression was wrong?"
And with that, a gavel pounded against the main table.

"No, it most assuredly was not, Commissioner Duquesne."

And with that President Garrett chose to stand from his seat. All six and a half feet of a rather large frame, and he had to admit that some amount of intimidating presence was desired of the situation. Sitting as the chairman of the meeting he had permitted the NFT commissioner and the others to briefly exchange remarks - and then accusations - in the hope that perhaps something constructive would be said. However, nothing had been and so it was time to step in.

"Gentlemen and lady, you are not here to debate the actions of the past. Both sides have acted with foolishness and disregard for the concerns of the rest of the world. You are here to settle the disputes and fears that have resulted from these past missteps and errors. This may mean treaties on such issues as the proposed WHO or Interpol, it may mean treaties forswearing territorial ambitions and aggrandizement, it may simply be formal conventions on how to deal with collapsing states and the dispositions of the major alliances. These things must be considered upon and decided by the assembled. It is your nations' choice, of course, whether or not to sign or ratify such arrangements regardless of the consequences, but I will be damned if I'll let you prevent them from being considered."

"As for your protests regarding a proposed ban on territorial expansion at the expense of other nations, Minister Berman, I fail to see how it would effect the Old Dominion. No country in the world recognizes a Shepistani government at this time and the entire country is recognized as now falling under Dominionite sovereignty. Through the OICAS the Old Dominion's interests throughout the Crater Archipelago are secure save for Sirnoth, which I have no doubt you and your allies will be securing from the Cortes Junta in due time. You already have all the territory your nation could plausibly desire, so what harm is there in an agreement to not see further expansion into the lands of other nations, failed or not?" Smirking, Stephen went on by remarking, "I suppose you could be planning to take chunks out of the Astarian Red Zone, but I don't think anyone here will begrudge the Old Dominion from wishing to spend billions of ROBs trying to cleanse virulent plagues and spores from a nearly-lifeless wasteland and maintaining proper quarantine procedures for the process."

That caused some laughter of various volume, though mostly hushed chuckles and giggles, from the assembled aides, ministers, and heads of state or government.

"Now that this dispute has ended, I will recognize those who wish to try a more constructive approach."
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Steve wrote:
"As for your protests regarding a proposed ban on territorial expansion at the expense of other nations, Minister Berman, I fail to see how it would effect the Old Dominion. No country in the world recognizes a Shepistani government at this time and the entire country is recognized as now falling under Dominionite sovereignty. Through the OICAS the Old Dominion's interests throughout the Crater Archipelago are secure save for Sirnoth, which I have no doubt you and your allies will be securing from the Cortes Junta in due time. You already have all the territory your nation could plausibly desire, so what harm is there in an agreement to not see further expansion into the lands of other nations, failed or not?" Smirking, Stephen went on by remarking, "I suppose you could be planning to take chunks out of the Astarian Red Zone, but I don't think anyone here will begrudge the Old Dominion from wishing to spend billions of ROBs trying to cleanse virulent plagues and spores from a nearly-lifeless wasteland and maintaining proper quarantine procedures for the process."

That caused some laughter of various volume, though mostly hushed chuckles and giggles, from the assembled aides, ministers, and heads of state or government.

"Now that this dispute has ended, I will recognize those who wish to try a more constructive approach."

"Do not get high and mighty with me, Mr. President!" Berman boomed. "The creation of OICAS was a legitimate response to interlopers and would-be imperialists such as CATO. We have made no effort, none, to extend our influence beyond our immediate surroundings. Can the same be said for your rathole of a mobocracy of a Nation? Establish any more bases on far flung continents lately? I know that the Burden of the White Man is a tough one..."
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Lonestar wrote: "Do not get high and mighty with me, Mr. President!" Berman boomed. "The creation of OICAS was a legitimate response to interlopers and would-be imperialists such as CATO. We have made no effort, none, to extend our influence beyond our immediate surroundings. Can the same be said for your rathole of a mobocracy of a Nation? Establish any more bases on far flung continents lately? I know that the Burden of the White Man is a tough one..."
A mirthful smirk came across the President's face. "I fail to see why you are getting so defensive about the OICAS given, as you said, it has a legitimate purpose. And I fail to see how remarking upon Cascadia's forward bases in Veleria, founded initially in support of multinational security operations in Veleria that included Canissia and Shinra, is in any way constructive or even relevant to the purpose of this summit or this meeting. Now, Minister, do you have anything other personal business to air before we can get back to business?"
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Steve wrote: A mirthful smirk came across the President's face. "I fail to see why you are getting so defensive about the OICAS given, as you said, it has a legitimate purpose. And I fail to see how remarking upon Cascadia's forward bases in Veleria, founded initially in support of multinational security operations in Veleria that included Canissia and Shinra, is in any way constructive or even relevant to the purpose of this summit or this meeting. Now, Minister, do you have anything other personal business to air before we can get back to business?"
"We are not annexing nations willy-nilly, like yourself and Adabani and the so-called Reunification Party..."

"The Reunification Party came into power following free and fair elections."

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. The MESS is the big bad evil that they must be protected from..."
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Lonestar wrote: "We are not annexing nations willy-nilly, like yourself and Adabani and the so-called Reunification Party..."

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. The MESS is the big bad evil that they must be protected from..."

And at that point President Garrett's control slipped slightly. A roaring laugh came from him that took a few seconds to get under control. "My dear Minister Berman, I'm afraid your lack of the slightest knowledge in internal Adabani politics is showing itself far too well. Now, please, let us get on to business." He looked for someone else willing to be called.

Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Lonestar wrote:"We are not annexing nations willy-nilly, like yourself and Adabani and the so-called Reunification Party..."

"How mind-numbingly pedantic of you, Minister Berman. You could have, at least, produced an original explanation for why the voice of the Adabani people is--mysteriously--invalid." There was something of a commotion at the entrance as Ryan Thunder strode into the room. Almost immediately the hall was filled with the muffled sounds of stifled incredulity and exasperation. The young man was, perhaps unfortunately, only mildly perturbed by this. "What, did you think I was going to sit by and watch while you all negotiate God knows what for Frequesue without our esteemed input?"

Result: Stir shit up mode = TRUE.
Last edited by Ryan Thunder on 2009-05-06 10:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Post by Master_Baerne »

The Conference
In Goddamn Unreal Time

Duke James rose from his seat , waiting for a moment of quiet to speak his peace.
"While I cannot quite agree with President Thunder's delivery, I can do so wholeheartedly with regards to his message. The purpose of this conference, gentlemen, is to discuss the means by which future catastrophe may be averted. We cannot do this, obviously, if such accusations and mindless dogma are used in place of reasoned debate. Calm yourselves, please."
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Again the gavel rapped on the table. "Mister President, while I appreciate your desire to attend, there is protocol in these manners, you simply don't walk into the room and begin talking no matter what penchant for the melodramatic you may have," President Garrett remarked coldly. "You may find a seat now."

Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Ryan Thunder wrote:"How mind-numbingly pedantic of you, Lonestar. You could have, at least, produced an original explanation for why the voice of the Adabani people is--mysteriously--invalid." There was something of a commotion at the entrance as Ryan Thunder strode into the room. Almost immediately the hall was filled with the muffled sounds of stifled incredulity and exasperation. The young man was, perhaps unfortunately, only mildly perturbed by this. "What, did you think I was going to sit by and watch while you all negotiate God knows what for Frequesue without our esteemed input?"

Result: Stir shit up mode = TRUE.
Secretary Doyle replied, "Yes, we were. Or rather, since you had declined to make an attendance, despite the publicity regarding this event, it seemed that you didn't care. And who the hell is this Lonestar you speak of? There is no one by that name here. Perhaps you should see a psychiatrist? I'm sure there's a good one in this fair city."
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

"Lord Gero seems to be disoriented, I do believe he should sit down and try and focus on reality," said Foreign Minister Von Earles.
This is an empty country and I am it's king, and I should not be allowed to touch anything.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

"A psychiatrist, Secretary Doyle? It would behoove you to pay a visit to an audiologist, yourself," he shot back from his stool at the side of the room, which he'd usurped from a security guard. "Minister von Earles," he continued, "I appreciate your concern for my attachment to the real world, but it seems to me to be utterly irrelevant to matters at hand. I sense that President Garrett will not tolerate this--" he found himself at a momentary loss for words, "--never mind. Let's just carry on like he said we should, alright?"

He extracted his PDA from the inside of his jacket and checked that the note-taking function was active.
Last edited by Ryan Thunder on 2009-05-06 11:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

IRT, hotel room
- Blah, blah, blah! - Stanislav laughed so loud as he looked through the transcripts of the world summit. - "Pact violation, blah blah, Tian Xia, blah blah, idiotic blah blah blah". The last may actually be true. Oh, and "lapdog of the communists". So fun to remember that this is the person who directly re-colonized a territory in Frequesue. Of course, a territory led by a complete madmang, as comrade Shroom would say, with a hardon for nuclear provocations. But still, coming from them Tianxiamen it's so rich. Don't you love that Vasya? How pathetic.

- It seems the Huang Di is bitter because it was his wanton behaviour which destroyed the MESS public image, forced the collapse of the FTO and at the same time forced many in Frequesue into the C.A.T.O. Maybe we should go and change the travel plan, visit the old bugger and give him a hug?

- Nah, I'm sure he'll weather it, after all he's the Emperor and not a wuss, - Stanislav smiled, looking at the map. - Oh, and I've reconsidered the route nonetheless. My next destination would be the Duchy of Baerne.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Decius tapped his fingers quietly and spoke, "It's downright fascinating to see that there are other countries with the same level of paranoia as my UCSR friends. The only other country that might exceed your paranoia would be the Japanistanis. In fact, the only country that would view the OD with suspicion would be the Japanistanis. After all, the Japanistanis obviously view the OD as gloating over the destruction of their allies.

But never mind that. Now, can I possibly have a response to what I proposed when I was in the Shinra Republic for a less than pleasant visit. "
CATO Proposal wrote:1. Regular meetings between foreign ministers to discuss various issues, and to come to a compromise on various outstanding issues within a reasonable time period. A red line between all leaders in the form of a video conference, should matters of urgency arise, should be set up.

2. Notifications that a certain nation seeking to join either alliance, be they as an observer or a full member will be delivered promptly at least 3 months before actual admittance. The decision on admission will be sent to both sides when they are made and these notifications must be at least one month before actual admittance.

4. That Tian Xia and the Frequesue nations must come into some kind of agreement in which all are treated as equals and that all respect each others' personal space, within reason. Details of which is something all of them will have to come to some agreement. It is also preferable that non-aligned nations will be part of this agreement. The issue is not a question of neutrality, but rather that no one goes barging in and then a war of words erupt.

5. A joint policing force in Costa, and an eventual election which is fair and free from any corrupting forces.
So now can we get the proper business of state moving? My government will support the ISCA and the Interpol, but we are more interested in achieving a detente, rather than ... an obvious upwelling of resentment of both sides which is making the atmosphere almost stifling if not childish."
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

MESS-CATO World Summit
Adams Capital District, Cascadia

GODDAMN MOTHERFUCKING UNREAL TIME, BITCHES

"My government also agrees to support the ISCA and Interpol, as well as Exarch Decius' own proposals," Lelouch chimed in, speaking up for the first time in the conference.

"Speaking of the Japanistanis, what do you propose we do about them?" Lelouch then asked. "Last I checked, they've started making inroads into Velaria again, presumably on the hunt for natural resources and slave labor to help provide for its bloated military. They have the gall to accuse both the MESS and CATO of being imperialists while they themselves are conducting blatant land grabs. Personally, I find the irony quite amusing, but that's really neither here nor there. Given Japanistan's militaristic proclivities, should we have reason to worry about just what they might be up to?"
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Livorno, A.F.S.R.
Alexey looked into the harbor, singing to himself, "I become so numb, I can feel you there, Become so tired, so much more aware...".

There the large Union intelligence and tracking ship "Marshall Krylov" was slowly preparing for another voyage. The climate was taking a heavy toll on the ship - it constantly operated in both the hot southern subtropical waters and the cold South Polar seas, conducting tracking missions around the I.R.T., Svalbardia, Emmeria and other nations which were considered a maritime threat to possible Union communications with the Frequesuan continent and it's naval bases.

This ship was the link that Alexey considered necessary for the next stage of his very personal operation "Justice".

After the interrogation of the group caught in the A.F.S.R. knew that the Tonkinese allies in Svalbardia, as all rotten bourgeois do, harbored and concealed Shepistani war criminals - for a hefty price of course. After all is it not natural for capitalist worms to seek profit above all, forgetting every notion of basic human dignity.

The warm winds sometimes had cold strains in them, which came from the polar South - a place where he must and would go. Getting into Svalbardia by usual means, even for him who has been lying very low for years, constituted a huge problem. And in any case, he knew that Svalbardia is sparsely populated, but has heavily controlled internal movement. The Tonkins have sizeable presence there, so they would be especially sensitive to allowing any Crimson agents into the nation.

And yet his new target resided there - one of the surviving Shepistani generals. He managed to board a cruise liner with refugees before the bombs fell on Shepistan, a smart guy. Or so the dead Sheppos, may they never rest in peace, told Alexey. He was also one of the coordinators of the Shepistani survivor ring - having huge pre-war accounts in Tonkinese banks, he was the perfect remote coordinator who offered money, false documents and other forms of protection to people who should by all means have been tried and executed.

Alexey was up to the task. Using his old ties in Livorno, including the Union naval garrison there, he managed to get himself a pass onboard the "Marshall Krylov". During the intelligence mission, the captain will steer the ship quite close to Svalbardian shores - of course, without breaching their waters or airspace. This is when Alexey will be dropped out as far as possible in a small boat and then row to the shores. Thanks to the internet and GPS, Alexey knew the small village or town he'd be aiming at - the sparsely populated city of Tromse. The Sheppo general was a little inaccurate and left some footprints through which Alexey found out the location of his offshore company office - a place near which the general himself is likely to be found.

Soon the ship set sail from Livorno, and the strong sea winds struck Alexey's face while he stood on the deck. The Crimson agent only smiled.

Result: Operation "Justice" moves into Stage 2
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Lander Woes (2)

Low Earth Orbit

"Woooohoooo!!!", the usually professional Byzantine screamed into the microphone, "It works! HOLY SHIT WHAT A RUSH!"

Alan Shroompard smiled at his station in Jerusalem Mission Control room, "Uh, come again? Can't hear you over all the screaming."

Fabian chuckled and composed himself, remembering where he was, "It's like I'm straddling the rocket. Um, the engine is performing according to specifications. Ten seconds to shutdown."

"Copy ten seconds to shutdown."

The computer began counting down again - its voice was only audible thanks to headphones, since the main engine worked surprisingly loud.

"Three...two...one...shutdown...", it announced with grave finality...except nothing happened. Everyone suddendly became really serious.

"Jerusalem, we're still thrusting, over."

"Uh...copy that. Telemetry confirms you still thrusting. Stand by."

Janos thought quickly. All instruments seemed to work okay, there was no loss or power or alarms. The engine simply wasn't reacting to shutdown commands. Hojo tried switching it to manual control, but nothing happened - the main status display didn't update at all.

"Jerusalem, I can't switch to manual control. Recommend shutting down the flight computer."

Suddendly, Koltos Kademanis, who remained in the main Selene capsule, came on the line, "Jerusalem, I lost visual contact with the LM. Please advise."

Down in Mission Control, engineers huddled together with the Director of Flight Operations to consider their options. The meeting was brief, yet heated.

"Alan, tell them to shut the computer down."

"Sure. Janos? Turn her off."

"Copy that."

Janos nodded to Hojo, who typed in the shutdown code. When the computer didn't react, he opened a button cover and pressed the hardwired power button. With a whine, the entire unit shut down, and all electronic displays went dead in an instant - controls, however, were unlocked, and the crew was able to throttle the engine down to zero manually.

As the vibration and noise stopped, both astronauts looked at each other.

"Great. Now what?"

Result: Something DOES go wrong after all.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Decius tapped his fingers quietly and spoke, "It's downright fascinating to see that there are other countries with the same level of paranoia as my UCSR friends. The only other country that might exceed your paranoia would be the Japanistanis. In fact, the only country that would view the OD with suspicion would be the Japanistanis. After all, the Japanistanis obviously view the OD as gloating over the destruction of their allies.

"Yes, we are gloating so much over the destruction of Shepistan that we have incorporated large numbers of their personnel into our military as part of a reconciliation program. What universe is it that you live in, exactly?" Berman said.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

In Goddamn Unreal time, during a 15 minute break

Vladimir Berman remained at his desk and pulled out his SME PED. He punched the direct line to the Royal Palace, and after speaking with the switchboard operator Lord Fairfax came on the line.

"Vlad, I saw your performance. Good job, Lord Wythe couldn't have done better."

"So you want to keep up the 'crazy nation' thing?"

"Hmm. Take it as it goes. I'm going to be announcing the new Chief Executive of Sirnoth within the next day or two. That'll be sure to ruffle some feathers."

"Not Eulenberg?" Berman asked, referring to the leader of the Sirnothi Liberation Army.

"No. Eulenberg has a accident scheduled for him. We need someone more pliable. I have just the guy." Lonestar told him. Berman nearly choked on his coffee.

"More pliable???"

"Believe me, I've already made him an offer he can't refuse…."

-----

On the road between Baden and the Frontline

"Goddammit. Shit!" General Bulow Eulenberg of the SLA said. "Those assholes! How dare they? How dare they???" He shouted. His aide stared morosely out the window, but didn't respond. General Murray had effectively told Eulenberg that he would have no say in the postwar administration of Sirnoth. It created a bit of a problem for Eulenberg's plans, and so he was rushing towards Nexus City, to set up a press conference at the Capitol as soon as the city was liberated. After all, the Coalition was less than 10 miles from the city center…

The major sat up. "Sir! Our escorts!" The Humvee in front of their car was pulling away, and the one behind the car had disappeared. "What…"

There was an explosion as the buried 155mm shell went off. Miraculously, Eulenberg had survived, and was pulling himself free of the wreckage. He looked up and saw several men in Sirnothi Special Forces fatigues walking up to him. Marious Mercure of Shepilov Solutions lifted his rifle and put 2 bullets into Eulenberg's head.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

CASCADIAN CONFERENCE
SEMI-AUTHORIZED NOT-ENTIRELY ACCURATE TIME

"Dad, why are all those people yelling?" young Cailin asked during the break.
"Because they're angry at each other, honey," King Arik said, "All over the world people are taking land, and there's wars, and they're blaming each other for it."

"They should get some serious time-outs for yelling," Cailin said, "Especially being mean to that lady."
"The lady's mean too," Antony said, "You're just on her side 'cause she's a girl." He ignored the tongue stuck out at him. "Dad, why are people taking land? Isn't that wrong?"

"Well, it depends," Arik said, "Some folks think they're taking land from bad people who never should have had land in the first place."
"How'd the bad people get the land in the first place?" Antony asked.
"They took it from someone else," Arik said.

"Why didn't everyone gang up on them back then?" Antony asked, the wheels clearly turning in his mind.
"Well, it could be because it happened so long ago, no one else was around to stop them," Arik said, "Or, because at the time, the first people who had the land were actually worse. Sometimes people take land because they think if they have that land, it makes them stronger than someone else they don't like."

"This is complicated," Antony said.
"Yes," Arik replied. "Yes it is."
"How can you solve it?"

Arik thought about it. "Well, I am tired of all the yelling, so I think I'll ask for people to calm down. And talk nicely about what needs to be done."
"Will Canissia get land?" Antony asked.
"Well, we're not really trying to get any land right now," Arik said, "We're trying to help other people fighting over land solve their problems."

"Like in Frequesne," Antony said. He's really picking up on this, Arik thought. Cailin only seemed to have a peripheral interest in the politics, but she was keenly watching the interactions of the people involved.
"Exactly," Arik said. "Pretty much all the argument is in Frequesne."

"Why does everyone want land, anyway?" Cailin asked. "It's just dirt."
"Well, it's dirt, and lakes and rivers, and minerals, and forests, and farms..." Arik said.
"So people don't care about just dirt," Antony said, "They want the stuff that comes with it."
"Right," Arik said.

"So, if we aren't arguing about getting mor eland," Antony said, "Then that must be because Canissia already has all the stuff it needs already, right?"
"Well, no," Arik explained, "What we don't have, we trade for it."
"Why can't these people trade for the minerals, then, too?"

"Sometimes people feel like they need to know the land is always there for them. They don't trust someone to trade with them. Or, the people with the minerals in the land are not friendly."

The children were quiet. Cailin seemed annoyed by the whole thing, but Antony looked like he'd found an interesting puzzle to solve.

"Alright, break's over. Time to go back..."

Kids sure are learning a lot about politics.
Last edited by Coyote on 2009-05-07 10:39am, edited 2 times in total.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Heir Aparrent

Orena Voyvodship Hospital

The nurse walked into the waiting room quietly and shook Paul's arm, which attracted angry glares from his security detail. The King woke up, almost falling off his chair in the process. He briefly struggled with a blanket somebody put over him, but finally managed to get on his feet and rub the sleep from his eyes.

"Wh...what? What time is it? Is it over?", he let out a string of questions, still dizzy from his sleep.

"It's three in the morning, Your Highness. The Queen is fine, the ceasarean section went well."

"Oh! Can I see her?"

"Not yet, sire. With all due respect, the Queen needs rest now. I can show you the baby, though."

Paul was growing more and more excited as the nurse led him through the corridors. Eventually, they arrived at the crib, where dozens of newborn babies slept, tired from their ordeal. Untill now, the whole situation seemed like a dream, like it wasn't happening. But then, the nurse pointed out the baby - his baby - and the Sovereign of PeZookia broke out in tears.

From this day onward, nothing in his life would be the same. Which was saying much for someone yanked from his own time and space and drafted into a job he didn't want.

Somehow, though, he thought it would be okay.

Result: Paul's child is born: a healthy girl named Lena. Paparazzi lay a veritable siege to the hospital she's in the very next day.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

The Conference, Unreal Time

Mr Christophe, Indhopal's delegate to the conference had remained silent throughout the proceedings so far. Mostly because Everyone was doing a fine job of making fools of themselves. When Christophe's turn came around he stood and said,

"Is everyone quite finished pretending they ever gave a damn about neutrality, or peace, or anything except their own narrow interests in Frequesue? It is clear to Indhopal now that we have simply returned to the 19th century in Frequesue, where the great powers used it as a playing field for influence. Indhopal could do without the wars, embargoes and other associated nonsense associated with this bickering. So lets stop the pointless posturing and get down to the real business.

To that end Indhopal fully supports an elections process in the Costas where the local people can decide the fate of the individual provinces. Most likely everyone who wants a piece will get one and it might actually lead to some stability in the region."
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

MESS-CATO Summit

President Shinra quickly tracked down Old Dominion Foreign Minister Vladimir Berman. When he found him, Berman was putting away his PDA.

"What are you doing in there? Trying to cause trouble?" demanded Rufus.

"I am merely seeing after the Old Dominion's interests," replied Berman.

"Well, try and see after them less fucking stupidly, will you? Starting shouting matches in there accomplishes nothing."

Berman was riled, but he could hardly respond in kind. He was a foreign minister. This impudent welp was a President. Instead, he merely replied, "And angering the Byzantines does the same?"

Rufus Shinra glared at Berman for a full five seconds before responding. "What happened then has already happened. That can't be changed. All we can do is try and fix things. If all you're going to do here is start arguments and cause problems, then it won't be Stephen Garrett calling you on the carpet next time."

As President Shinra started to leave, he turned back and left a final comment. "This is the MESS-CATO Summit. Not the Old Dominion-Every Else Summit. Try to remember what you do here reflect on the alliance as a whole. Not just you." Then President Shinra left. He had other business to conduct.

Vladimir Berman had business of his own. This little chat with Shinra had been unexpected. He once more started to call up the Lord Fairfax on his PDA to present this new development to him.
Exarch Decius was talking with the UCSR delegation when President Shinra approached them. Shinra looked directly at Decius, and he being no fool, knew what that meant. He wants something.

Purposefully giving it another two minutes before he "noticed" Decius excused himself from the group and approached the President of the Shinra Republic. "May I help you, Mister President?"

"Yes. Please relay to the Emperor that, at some point, I would like to have a word with him, discussing...recent events."

"I'll pass that along. Have you word concerning the proposals he had given you?"

"I have not heard back from the others. But for my part I will support those proposals. The regular foreign minister meetings will have to have thought put into the logisitics of it all, locations, times and so forth, but as with my own ISCA proposal I know that is something meant to be worked out later. The idea is what counts. Section 4 should be an interesting discussion, to be sure."

"Thank you for your response, Mister President."

"Not a problem, Exarch. If you'll excuse me, I need to attend to some other matters."

"Of course."
Towards the end of the break, Rufus caught up with Arik and his litter. He smiled to himself at the phrase. Well fuck it, I first knew him as 'Coyote' so calling his little retinue of children a litter makes some sense.

"Arik, good to see you. Might I have a word with you?"
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight