SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread IV

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: SDN Worlds 4 Commentary Thread IV

Post by Simon_Jester »

Fortunately I already drafted an edited build queue in case of just such an emergency! :mrgreen:

[reads Shep's latest]

Hang on, I'll get back to this soon.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Steve wrote:
Force Lord wrote: What are the new build times, anyway?
Simon_Jester wrote: 10-29: 2 months
30-54: 3 months
55-99: 4 months
100-149 point: 6 months
150-199 point: 9 months
200-299: 12 months
300-449: 18 months
450-599: 24 months
600-799: 30 months
800-plus: 36 months, possibly with special mod-modifications for cases of REALLY FREAKING RIDICULOUS ships
huge ships seem to build at a faster rate (in terms of points) than smaller ones. Is that intentional?
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

What about time needed for fitting? Or was that thrown away?
An inhabitant from the Island of Cars.
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Ryan Thunder wrote:huge ships seem to build at a faster rate (in terms of points) than smaller ones. Is that intentional?
Yes, so you don't have to wait a 2 years of real life gameplay ("OH boy! July 2012 finally rolled around! I finally have Cockpuncher!) to get a single 1000 point megacruiser.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Fitting times still apply. Though I'm thinking of capping them at 1 year. By which I mean that once you hit 24 months build time, you don't have to have fitting times beyond 12 months.

Though I'm not going to be very strict about fitting times. Try to keep it in the 4-6 month range per year of construction and I'll be happy. If you want to have one of those 36 month build time behemoths take a full 18 months (year and a half) to get into service after construction finishes, good for you.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Tanasinn
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tanasinn »

Hm, if I were to put my build list up now, would I line it up with the existant ones laid down at the beginning of 3400?
Truth fears no trial.
Force Lord
Jedi Council Member

Post by Force Lord »

The changes will be placed at the ruleset in the Wikia page, yes?
An inhabitant from the Island of Cars.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Official MiniEcho policy on the self-inflicted ecological damage on Montgomery:

"We are not responsible for their Hyperfund sites."
Tanasinn wrote:Hm, if I were to put my build list up now, would I line it up with the existant ones laid down at the beginning of 3400?
Retcon. That's what I'm doing.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Simon_Jester wrote:Official MiniEcho policy on the self-inflicted ecological damage on Montgomery:

"We are not responsible for their Hyperfund sites."
Tanasinn wrote:Hm, if I were to put my build list up now, would I line it up with the existant ones laid down at the beginning of 3400?
Retcon. That's what I'm doing.

You know, in order to destroy the craboid population he would have to nuke his entire ocean floor...
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Yep. That's what Doctor Susie is thinking.

The term "Hyperfund" is being used advisedly...
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

I'm thinking I might have to write up something about ShelExCo representative Mkel Xriton, who is going to sell biologically engineered Tarbosaurs that have the melanin from those fungi that can live in radioactive waste to Shepistan. That might also have the side benefit of taking care of the goose problem in Montgomery. It might also have the adverse side effect of diarrhea 8 ton predators roaming the countryside eating people without anti-tank weapons.
SDNet: Unbelievable levels of pedantry that you can't find anywhere else on the Internet!
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Akhlut wrote:I'm thinking I might have to write up something about ShelExCo representative Mkel Xriton, who is going to sell biologically engineered Tarbosaurs that have the melanin from those fungi that can live in radioactive waste to Shepistan. That might also have the side benefit of taking care of the goose problem in Montgomery. It might also have the adverse side effect of diarrhea 8 ton predators roaming the countryside eating people without anti-tank weapons.

DO IIIIIIT
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Akhlut wrote:I'm thinking I might have to write up something about ShelExCo representative Mkel Xriton, who is going to sell biologically engineered Tarbosaurs that have the melanin from those fungi that can live in radioactive waste to Shepistan. That might also have the side benefit of taking care of the goose problem in Montgomery. It might also have the adverse side effect of diarrhea 8 ton predators roaming the countryside eating people without anti-tank weapons.
Excellent plan.

Of course, you just know that the Sheppoes will take this as an opportunity to pass out antitank weapons to everyone. Except hippies, because fuck them.
Akhlut
Sith Devotee

Post by Akhlut »

Simon_Jester wrote:
Excellent plan.

Of course, you just know that the Sheppoes will take this as an opportunity to pass out antitank weapons to everyone. Except hippies, because fuck them.
In the grim dark of the far future, there are only paranoid militiamen firing RPGs at dinosaurs.

The more I examine this scenario in my head, the better it gets. I do so hope that Shep agrees with this plan. Of course, there will also be icthyosaurs, raptors, giant isopods, and other assorted beasties that don't resemble anything after the KT event.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

You know, with this K-Zone Pileup ongoing, it makes me wonder...

Most outsiders tend to avoid getting entangled with the K-Zone. For my part, it's because I know that no good will come of it, and if the four of you are all keeping each other at bay, so much the better.

But what would happen if the balance of power were to shift? What if somehow the Karlacks and Bragulans were to start to get the upper hand against the Sovereignty and/or Imperium? What if it was the other way around? Would the other galactic nations then get involved to turn the tide?

Probably not if the Sovereignty/Imperium were on top. Possibly. But what if the Karlack Swarm were coming out on top? I'd think most of the galaxy would be worried about that possibility.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

I imagine so. However there are a lot of not-quite-K-Zone buffer states that act as an 'air bag' to catch K-Zone troubles before they reach the wider galaxy: the Cevaukians, the Holy Empire, and possibly now the Refuge who also expressed interest in a defensive anti-Karlack alliance.

EDIT: I know it's a bit short, but that's all I have time for today :(.

Also, with regards to the embassy affair, I just thought of this but if a psyker mind-controlling some dudes was the problem, what was stopping the Sheppoes exactly from wheeling one of the undoubtedly great many portable Blitzschlag generators they have up to the embassy and switching it on? Shouldn't that take care of the mind-control problem, at least insofar as rendering the Amplitur incapable of transmitting new commands to its erstwhile puppets is concerned?
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Siege wrote:Also, with regards to the embassy affair, I just thought of this but if a psyker mind-controlling some dudes was the problem, what was stopping the Sheppoes exactly from wheeling one of the undoubtedly great many portable Blitzschlag generators they have up to the embassy and switching it on? Shouldn't that take care of the mind-control problem, at least insofar as rendering the Amplitur incapable of transmitting new commands to its erstwhile puppets is concerned?
Yeah. That's pretty much the scenario I ran through as being somewhat more "responsible" than the 'STORM THE GATES' method Shep was already preparing for (regardless of who fired first). I would communicate such to the embassy personnel first as a matter of courtesy, and then direct a BFG on them, employed at non-lethal levels to potential Espers.

I'd communicate to the embassy and even send a message to the Centrality itself. And then record the whole thing very, very carefully. Because even if the embassy people dropped dead from the BFGs because the Amplitur had replaced part of their minds or whatever, the Centrality knows that none of their personnel were Espers so a BFG at "low levels" or whatever should have had no ill effects. That it did would be fairly good proof that something bad was going on.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Siege wrote:I imagine so. However there are a lot of not-quite-K-Zone buffer states that act as an 'air bag' to catch K-Zone troubles before they reach the wider galaxy: the Cevaukians, the Holy Empire, and possibly now the Refuge who also expressed interest in a defensive anti-Karlack alliance.

EDIT: I know it's a bit short, but that's all I have time for today :(.
Short, but to the point. FUCK YEAH!
Also, with regards to the embassy affair, I just thought of this but if a psyker mind-controlling some dudes was the problem, what was stopping the Sheppoes exactly from wheeling one of the undoubtedly great many portable Blitzschlag generators they have up to the embassy and switching it on? Shouldn't that take care of the mind-control problem, at least insofar as rendering the Amplitur incapable of transmitting new commands to its erstwhile puppets is concerned?
Ah-HA! So you saw it too.

See, that's why the Umerians' diplomatic note reads:
That said, while we are disappointed by the embassy attack, we are not particularly surprised.

However, on consultation with the Ministry of Security, we are surprised by the lack of imagination and resourcefulness shown by Shepistani security forces in dealing with the alleged mind control attack on the embassy. Stipulating that a brute force solution was called for, the solution arrived at contained far more 'brute' and far less intelligent application of 'force' than we have come to expect from our friendly neighbors to spinward.
Because they should have thought of what you said.

On a side note, the writing of Stern Diplomatic Notes to Shepistan is something of a pastime for the Umerian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. And since we know the Sheppoes are just going to ignore anything that reads "we are so mad at you!" and stick it with all the other stern diplomatic notes in the Museum of Comedy...

Well, our notes to Shepistan tend to contain stuff that you wouldn't normally see in a Stern Diplomatic Note. Like "we're not surprised that you violated international law, but we are surprised that your ground troops did it the dumbass way."
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Also, the Sassanids led by Herr Thanas is also an ally of the Bragulans. :)
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:"MADAM YOU HAVE SUFFERED AN EMOTIONAL SHOCK I WILL NOTIFY A CRAB CRISIS CENTER"
Who knew crabs could be so dangerous? :lol:
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

[pictures Karlack assimilating a stray Amplitur]

Help!
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

*Adds Ampliturs onto the list of xenos to be reared for food...*
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

Duel as in two per hand Shroomy.

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

D-U-A-L, Zor. Why must you make all those easily exploitable typos?
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Simon_Jester wrote:[pictures Karlack assimilating a stray Amplitur]

Help!
*cackles evilly*

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!
Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:*Adds Ampliturs onto the list of xenos to be reared for food...*
Dude...can't you just...raise crabs?

Enslaving a powerful psionic race to be used for food is asking for a horrible, horrible incident :D
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.