2014 STGOD OOC Commentary Thread 1

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Re: 2014 STGOD OOC Commentary Thread 1

Post by Esquire »

What's really funny is that I knew all of that, just didn't put it all together. Critical thinking, *I'm a smarmy asshole*? :D
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Thing is, the reactor isn't a self-contained unit. You've got all the heat exchanger parts as well, at least half of which probably get replaced when the reactor is re-fueled. Then there's all the control systems, emergency systems etc.

The idea of having reactors that you can swap out like batteries is an interesting one, but it means that you essentially have to replace the whole thing rather than replace the fuel rods, which is expensive to do.
Lightwgiht Nuclear Propulsion. This same technology is what the Hawai'ian and Tianguo SSKNs run off of.

Do note that the power output from these is less than 30k shaft horsepower per unit, and as such you would need a bank of reactors (10 or so) to power an CVN. Relative to conventional nuclear power they are expensive to fuel (larger reactors are more fuel efficient) and man.

They also have issues with a lack of shielding when you have more than one.
Last edited by TimothyC on 2014-06-26 10:03pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Hrm. There are a number of places you could be on the map. Where did you want to be?
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

I suppose now's as good of a time as any to announce that I am expanding my initial proposal of a four-carrier fleet, as detailed to Steve via PM, to six active carriers plus one undergoing overhaul/refueling. With a $7 trillion GDP, I'm positive I can afford six active carrier battle groups, plus a large air force and a decent marine corps. The actual army will have to take a hit, but I'm an island nation anyway, and this isn't the Second Great War anymore.

While we're on the topic of Shroom, he was a huge Metal Gear Solid fan. I propose installing a Zanzibar Land expy somewhere in Australis/Austrafrica. The world can always use more crazy mercenary states run by egotistical ex-black operatives.

Also, I can't be the only one seeing the parallels between Britonia and Belka...
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Shinn Langley Soryu wrote:While we're on the topic of Shroom, he was a huge Metal Gear Solid fan. I propose installing a Zanzibar Land expy somewhere in Australis/Austrafrica. The world can always use more crazy mercenary states run by egotistical ex-black operatives.

Also, I can't be the only one seeing the parallels between Britonia and Belka...
I personally think that Shroomania should be populated by very gay Britonian men and women who indulge in all manner of debauchery, including killing their own fellow men. :D
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I was gonna do a controversial but hugely popular kids' show called Shroom's Very Shroomy World.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I find myself at an impasse.

I wanted to do a fitting tribute to lost friends by naming one of my CVNs, the newest one, the CRS Martin Kemmish. I had intended others in the Hall of Memory to get CVNs as well... but that would be unfair to others who want to honor our lost friends. Nor do I want to see a macabre argument about who gets to honor which of them.

So I'm asking if anyone wants to make a similar gesture.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Whilst I strongly approve of the gesture Steve, I am happy to let you have a ship named for Nitram, since I didn't know him as well as others did. I have my own people I want to remember.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Wow, everyone busy with OrBats? Everyone's so quiet....

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Pretty much. Plus I've been sorting out shit for my new flat.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I'm working on my OrBat as well. I don't know if it'll be done by the time the game starts.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

That's about the size of it, although I should get it done in the next day or two.

On an unrelated note, did you know that trying to type"am.i.rite." without the periods or quotes corrects to "I'm a smarmy asshole?" Because I didn't.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

It's a historical thing. I truly do not know why.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

No idea here either.

As for me, I've been plotting stories out mostly.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

I'd assume it's because there was an infestation of smarmy assholes, but that could refer to nearly any time in the board's history.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

It was four and a half years ago or thereabouts. Basically Mike got mad at what he saw as "chan speak" getting out of control. So he put in that filter.

I think there's a couple others as well but I don't recall what they were.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Purple wrote:Obviously massively WIP. But how does it sound so far?
Sounds good to me. You were thinking of being placed in Astrafica, i.e. 'Austrafrica'? Did you have a specific place in mind?
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Uh, what continent is Austrafrica/Astrafica? Who else is on it?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Your's.

Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Yes it is the name for the Australia/Africa continent I'm trying to sneak in because 'Austrafrica' doesn't sound right to me.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I liked Australis....

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Just call it the F-ing Continent. :razz:
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

As the Cartographer, I strongly prefer to call the largest of the Southern Continents of Tellus (our world) Australis.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Back from the conference, so I am slowly getting through the backlog of messages and board admin business. If I don't reply today I will do so tomorrow.

Esquire wrote:That's about the size of it, although I should get it done in the next day or two.

On an unrelated note, did you know that trying to type"am.i.rite." without the periods or quotes corrects to "I'm a smarmy asshole?" Because I didn't.
Oh that is an old relic that lives on because some debaters added am*r*te at the end of nearly every sentence and it got on Mike's nerve. Probably unnecessary now but not something anybody is going to bother to change unless it becomes a major hassle.

EDIT 2: Does anybody have any figures on what the US Navy historically spent annually on construction (as in, percentage of its budget)? Because I am currently pondering whether I should cut a lot of ships as replacing them might be unrealistic.

I know the US Navy spent roughly ~20 billion the last year but I wonder what the historical levels are.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Thanas wrote:EDIT 2: Does anybody have any figures on what the US Navy historically spent annually on construction (as in, percentage of its budget)? Because I am currently pondering whether I should cut a lot of ships as replacing them might be unrealistic.

I know the US Navy spent roughly ~20 billion the last year but I wonder what the historical levels are.
In 2009 dollars, the USN spent on average $14.4 Billion between 1980 and 2009. CBO report source.

Edit: When combined with the numbers here, here, and the inflation calculator here. The average USN budget (in 2009 dollars) was about $144 billion. This means that the USN spent about 9.8% of it's budget on new ship construction.

The numbers won't quite work exactly because shipbuilding costs in the US have outpaced inflation by 1.4% per year over the period of 1980-2009, but it's a close estimate.

If you want to dig deeper, the USN budget books for 1997-present are here.