SD.net's World OOC/Discussion thread MK V

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Just a few days :D I have books to read and games to run that were put on the back burner for a while, so my country would just get a slow start.
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

They have no means of getting home unless somebody goes up and gets them, and they had to watch the world destroy itself. Now they're stuck in orbit inside a two-person tin can with a month or so worth of supplies, Korolev spaceport almost certainly got nuked...christ. Horrible fate.
Why?

They have a return pod of course, it's the later ALMAZ design (I figured that starting from the 1-port ALMAZ design is stupid, since the 2-port one is already available).

The question is, do they want to return to irradiated land?

Seriously though, aside from Shepnukistan and Saddam (oh, and sorry about Coiler, i hope no one minds) fallout will clear in two weeks to more or less normal in the areas remote from epicenters.

P.S. So what is the damage report?

As far as I gather, 10-12 rivers in Saddamistan and Shepnukistan have been struck with irradiating bombs.
Around 20 major cities (pop. over 100,000) were struck with irradiating bombs directly. Cities with 500,000-1,000,000 and over population were struck by the HELA missiles with 400 kg of cobalt. Even with a very large, Moscow-like area of 1000 sq. km such cities would be subject to ~1g/sqm irradiation, killing most population within the first day (lethal dose within minutes, process of death will take a few hours).

Also, around 6000 VX missiles were thrown from emplacements in the Diocese, Bear Republic and Zoria, poisoning the land. Assuming the SCUDs didn't do well in a surprise attack, I'd say around 20% passed, which means 240 tons of VX were spread over their rural land and small cities.

Military bases were relatively unaffected, due to the long term effects of radiological weapon like cobalt, so tey could carry out their attack. However, in a few days when fallout covers the entire Shepland, they are dead.

I would presume around 500 nuclear devices were initiated against Red Technocracy military targets and civilian centers. This would lead to the loss of 20-30, maximum - 40% of the population in the immediate aftermath. In two weeks, since the military command has not been broken (SSTO and ALMAZ, as well as other orbital assets help greatly here), we can assess the damage.

UKB and many other nations were not affected.

However, Neverhood will be fucked due to fallout from Shepland, and Quidlivun is also dead.

Coiler... let's say it's over for him.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

El presidente is....dead!
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Stas Bush wrote: They have a return pod of course, it's the later ALMAZ design (I figured that starting from the 1-port ALMAZ design is stupid, since the 2-port one is already available).
Ah, if they have a return pod, then I guess they're not doomed to die alone in the cold of space :D
Stas Bush wrote:The question is, do they want to return to irradiated land?
Well, I'd return. If only to see if my family's okay (yeah, right...like anybody would be...)
Stas Bush wrote:<snip damage assessment>
Wait, wait...

Does this mean...

Does this mean we've won? ;)

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Lonestar wrote:El presidente is....dead!
That's why you should've had an Evil Overlord bunker with a helicopter stashed inside :D

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

PeZook wrote:Wait, wait...

Does this mean...

Does this mean we've won? ;)
Nobody wins Global Thermonuclear War.

The UAR came out the worst though. So I guess that might count as a "win" of sorts.

We're basically fucked over though, except those who got to escape the hammering. Still, I imagine the global economy just took a nosedive.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

RogueIce wrote: Nobody wins Global Thermonuclear War.

The UAR came out the worst though. So I guess that might count as a "win" of sorts.

We're basically fucked over though, except those who got to escape the hammering. Still, I imagine the global economy just took a nosedive.
Won in the sense that we're not ALL dead and civilization as a whole might survive.

You know, I think I'll make another game post or two :D
Last edited by PeZook on 2008-07-08 07:20am, edited 1 time in total.

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

LOINY! NOOOOOO!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Heh, BTW, I think Coiler regrets his decision to join the UAR now :P

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

If only to see if my family's okay (yeah, right...like anybody would be...)
Not as far fetched... cosmonaut families usually work for the military. if you're cruising somewhere at M=8 and 30 km up and above, it's kinda hard to kill you ;)
Does this mean we've won?
Technically because I was an ass about it, the world as a whole "won", in the sense that Sheppards and Skimmers nations were turned into irradiated Chernobyl zones for 5 long years, while most nations did not die.

Our "wounds" are far more deadly in the short-term, but only for two weeks.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Hay Shep, if I lost 200 thousand people does that mean I'm up and running in four years? :P

It's too bad this book isn't available here, i'd love to take a look at the methodology used.

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

PeZook wrote:Hay Shep, if I lost 200 thousand people does that mean I'm up and running in four years? :P
It means all you have to do is say you're downsizing your military (easy enough since they just got blown up) and start churning out advanced weapons systems.
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

:D

The General Secretary personally blows up Shep ;)

It's like the Atlantis execution, except with a suborbital bomber :D

BTW, what's the orbital period of the ALMAZ?

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

I presumed it's around 6 hours, but maybe i'm wrong. The orbit must be elliptical for the trajectory... though actually, i"m kinda lost...

Also, I didn't blow up Shep ;) Anna blew up his aerial command post, which was the last thing that commanded UAR forces in the air.
Last edited by K. A. Pital on 2008-07-08 07:46am, edited 1 time in total.

Assalti Frontali
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I am good with symbolism.

And HUEG KITTENS.
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Stas Bush wrote:
I presumed it's around 6 hours, but maybe i'm wrong. The orbit must be elliptical for the trajectory... though actually, i"m kinda lost...

Also, I didn't blow up Shep ;) Anna blew up his aerial command post, which was the last thing that commanded UAR forces in the air.
Because I don't feel like calculating the orbit and projecting the trajectory, I'll just go with 6 hours :D

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Heh, it's fun writing about the world dying!

...for some people :P

K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Yeah, due to the stupid limits I assumed we'd bump ALMAZ as high as possible but a little short of the VA belts, making the orbit greater.

Maybe it'd look more like 3 hours instead of 4, but hey, plus minus 1 hour is not that important.

Considering how many nuclear devices Shep initiated, my nation is basically in nigh complete ravage, sans the Army, who still have a command post in the sky.

We should be downing the cosmonauts though. That psych-stress won't do too well on them. A day or more, in-game, in command should be enough to restore at least some communication between ravaged nations. Tat means in the evening they can go land somewhere, say in PeZookia or Shroomania.

Assalti Frontali
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

http://www.cybertrn.demon.co.uk/atomic/ ... arming.htm

Read here, a survivor's manual. ;) My civil defense has disseminated such things for a long time, I guess most people seriously centered on making their people survive did too.

I really feel sorry for Shep. All of it applies to everyone under attack now... except Shep will not see this happening:

Assalti Frontali
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Damn PeZook you're gonna depress me. :cry:

But that seals it. We can't have LtCol. Kulinsky and Plut. Kazimiera Swieta die like that. Reboot!

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Fuck...

Goddamn it, PeZook! NO! NO! NO! I WON'T HAVE THAT! FUCK NO! NOT THE ISCA, NOT THE FASTA! NOT LT. COLONEL GODDAMN KULINSKY!

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Fuck nuclear war!
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

RogueIce wrote:Damn PeZook you're gonna depress me. :cry:

But that seals it. We can't have LtCol. Kulinsky and Plut. Kazimiera Swieta die like that. Reboot!
I guess I'm killing off the recurring characters as a way to seal the current world ;)

Though I can't help but imagine a scene in the re-booted world, where Kulinsky wakes up in the middile of the night, hyperventilating, after having a nightmare where he's trapped inside his crashed car and desperately trying to fish out his service pistol in order to commit suicide...

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

PeZook wrote:I guess I'm killing off the recurring characters as a way to seal the current world ;)

Though I can't help but imagine a scene in the re-booted world, where Kulinsky wakes up in the middile of the night, hyperventilating, after having a nightmare where he's trapped inside his crashed car and desperately trying to fish out his service pistol in order to commit suicide...
That's not a half-bad idea. Those of us in Nova Terra Secunda ;) would also remember it, as Q was kind enough to save our asses from certain death.

By the by, what'd you think of my GDP figures in that last PM?

phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

What's the fallout pattern for Stas' Co-60 weapons and the heavy strikes on Shepnukistan? If I'm getting hit with Cobalt weapons, well, I suppose I could start tossing my own weapons into the fray :P
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

May as well. We're ending it all in atomic wargasm anyway, and going for a reboot.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!