2014 STGOD OOC Commentary Thread 1

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: 2014 STGOD OOC Commentary Thread 1

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

You did launch a flying tankski, it was just after the Moon landing. And it was glorious.

As I recall, it was produced by the suspiciously advanced armour-plate factory attached to the space centre.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

I know pretty much nothing about space technology and such, though I do have a space program. I have that northernmost island on the equator for a reason, after all.

As to what I have or programs I'm running...well unless somebody more knowledgeable is willing to help me out, for now it's "whatever a reasonably technologically advanced nation with a roughly $7 trillion GDP would be expected to have and be doing" I guess.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

No Arcadian space program. Our location where IRL Iceland should be kinda precludes native launches, and we can't be bothered leasing an island closer to the equator. I imagine there is probably the occasional Arcadian astronaut who hitches a ride on some other nation's rockets though.:P
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

As I've worked with Steve & Simon on their programs, and will say the following about the UK (Unified Kingdoms) program: The launch site on Kwajalein is great for smaller launches, although it can, in theory take something the size of an Atlas V or a Falcon 9. A local launcher about the payload size of a Falcon 1 has been test launched, while Hawai'ian astronauts hitch rides with Shinra, Tianguo, & Cascadia. There is also something called "RED MOON", but no one quite knows what it is, although rumors indicate it has something to do with the harbor that is being finished on the south shore of Upolu....
Siege wrote:I believe we decided early on that no-one has landed on the moon yet, but that orbital traffick is developed broadly to 'our world level'.
I am operating on the presumption there have been sample return missions, and to be honest, even without a conventional space race, someone would have done so, and published the results.

As for stations: I hope Simon and Steve don't mind, I know Simon has 20-30 tonne stations single piece stations in orbit That grew from a MOL analog to a Salyut analog. The Cascadians put up a station in the mid 90s after they got their Flight 1 Shuttle (Lockheed Star Clipper/LS-200 analog) working, and it's mostly a minimal FRED (scaled down FREEDOM - The ISS is FRED plus half of Mir 2). FRED is getting old, and will likely be replaced when the Flight 2 Shuttle is first used sometime late this year.

From the work on FRED, I'd imaging that everyone starts to get the idea that you should probably pre-fab your truss sections prior to launching. This takes up a lot of volume, but saves a lot of headache in space.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Timothy? I looked up the actual weight of MOL and as far as I can tell, it's more like 15 tons; I downscaled my rocket accordingly (to something commensurate with the Long March family's larger variants, incidentally). There might be a heavier one in the works, or not. Not sure.

Also, prefab trusses! Because turning a wrench in microgravity is surprisingly hard work.
Eternal_Freedom wrote:You did launch a flying tankski, it was just after the Moon landing. And it was glorious.

As I recall, it was produced by the suspiciously advanced armour-plate factory attached to the space centre.
What that was, was a parallel universe. An AWESOME one.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Simon_Jester wrote:Timothy? I looked up the actual weight of MOL and as far as I can tell, it's more like 15 tons; I downscaled my rocket accordingly (to something commensurate with the Long March family's larger variants, incidentally). There might be a heavier one in the works, or not. Not sure.
Ah. I guess I was still operating on the content we had talked about. Sorry.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

You were, it's fine, I've been mostly incommunicado lately.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Speaking of space launch vehicles, the current Tianguo launcher of choice is the Ying. It approximates a Falcon 9/Heavy in capability, in the two different versions available. The light is around 13 tons to orbit, while the heavy is 50 tons.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

So I can claim the first station then?

Certainly Aurora is our present station, and is probably about halfway between Mir and ISS in size. We use a Zeus-12 heavy launcher, 30 tonnes to LEO, with a light version to launch our large semi-reuseable capsules.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

You can have the first station. This space stuff is very exciting but in the meantime, what's the state of the conference? Is there anything left to discuss, will there be concluding remarks, or can we move on to the next day(s)?
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

We can continue with it once we've agreed OOC what the result will be. If you like we can have the conference continue in the background while we discuss things OOC and just present the results and/or closing remarks when it's done.

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Aurora sounds like Mir 1.5:

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Yes, probably broadly similar to that. What are those big discs at one end?

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Yes, probably broadly similar to that. What are those big discs at one end?
Solar thermal power units. Rather than the conventional photovoltaics, they heat a working fluid which drives a turbine. They can be more efficient (making useful work out of about 35-40% of the incident radiation vs about 25-30% for photovoltaics), but require precision tracking. You also have the issues of maintaining the working fluid in space. Personally, as a Thermo-Fluids guy, I much prefer them.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Interesting. Well I can say they're prototypes being evaluated.

Of course, we Orions would also be evaluating the possibility of a miniature Thorium reactor in space.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

On the subject of the conference, correct me if I'm wrong:

1) We have more or less reached a consensus on Lothal. The UOCSR/San Doradan forces will launch a relatively soon attack, with the Umerians smoothing things over with the Lothali government. Then the Umerians jump in later.

2) Most of the other issues are running into problematic questions of international legal principles, or need further discussion, which I would LOVE to see IC, I'm just at a bit of a loss about. Unfortunately, the Umerian interest is mainly in making sure that we don't get international antiterrorist witch hunts that act to authorize major foreign powers to violate Umeria's nascent Monroe-Doctrine-analogue, so it's hard for me to figure out what to say sometimes. Some interesting ideas:

2a) The idea of international insurance or an international fund to help mitigate the costs of cleaning up after terrorist actions. An idea from Champa.
2b) The idea of creating an international body responsible for figuring out which groups are terrorists. The Umerians and Orions definitely favor this

Keeping up the space tangent...

The main problems with a true nuclear reactor in space are that:
1) It's got a certain necessary minimum weight- you can't downscale it past that point, and if "that point" is such that it'd take a stupid-expensive rocket to launch it, or if it's small enough that it doesn't have real endurance (i.e. decades in operation)
2) You can't deorbit it. The Umerians, for instance, de-orbited their two space stations by literally kicking them out of orbit and letting them burn up in the atmosphere. Something this size would be more problematic but the basic idea is at least sane-ish. By contrast, a nuclear reactor contains large amounts of fiercely radioactive nuclear fuel that will remain radioactive after burning up on re-entry.
3) Nuclear reactor fuel gets old and has to be replaced with heavy machinery; as a rule, the smaller the reactor the more often this is needed, but it can't realistically be done in space.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Fair points. I can always say we're experimenting with the idea, in a similar vein to our nuclear freighters plan.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

OK, but what about the conference?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Well we need to know what is going to be agreed before we can finish writing it.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

We could write ongoing discussion?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

If any of us know enough about interational law to make it convincing, sure.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

OK, well I'd really appreciate it if you'd, y'know, actually talk about what you want instead of just going "meh, I'll say something when everyone else has decided what they're going to say."
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

I've said it. An agreement to share intelligence on terrorist threats and an international organization to define who is or is not a terrorist.

I will add to that an agreement and/or treaty committing nations to cooperate in removing said terrorists.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

OK, well, it would be good to hear from some of the other major participants (Steve and RogueIce in particular, who play major nations). Siege's input is highly relevant, and I'd like the words of his characters to affect how such an organization defines terrorists.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

International cooperation on determining what actually makes an organization an international-scope terrorist group that needs international cooperation to take down is fine. Cascadia will not be party to any agreement that places requirements upon its own justice system in terms of terrorism suspects, though. We won't be extraditing suspects without trial for King Alexander to shoot on international TV.

What is the particular of the "international insurance" plan? Is it something like a World Bank or international reconstruction fund?
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED