SDN World 3 Commentary Thread II

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Siege
Sith Marauder

Re: SDN World 3 Commentary Thread II

Post by Siege »

There; a reply to the pardon. The way this is going before long we'll be playing SDN World #3: The Costume Drama :).
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Siege wrote:There; a reply to the pardon. The way this is going before long we'll be playing SDN World #3: The Costume Drama :).
Heh. :lol: Well, I could go looking for another war (*just kidding*).

EDIT: I find it nearly impossible to find good pictures of that era, especially fashion. I got a few good ones from a russian movie, but the do not fit the storyline, so I had to use those I am currently using. Which meant I had to redo a bit of my storyline, but way better than just writing huge lines of text without giving you anything niece to look at.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

Thanas wrote:Or Britain needs a player...
Really, that would be interesting to play, Britain controls New Zealand, the Islands, Newfoundland, British Guyana, and some trade cites and naval bases right?
This is an empty country and I am it's king, and I should not be allowed to touch anything.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

^Correct.

But I think Lascaris might have taken it over in the meantime...better check with Steve first.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Lascaris
Padawan Learner

Post by Lascaris »

Thanas wrote:^Correct.

But I think Lascaris might have taken it over in the meantime...better check with Steve first.
I have.

Now time to make perfidious Albion perfidious agan. 8)
Lascaris
Padawan Learner

Post by Lascaris »

Thanas wrote:Lascaris, Gibraltar is still spanish in this TL.

EDIT: *nevermind about the guns, it is probably too small a leap to affect stuff.*
Gibraltar is actually listed in the British holdings by Bean. Malta is not as I suppose it's Greek er Byzantine.

I'm somewhat unclear on Britain's Carribean holdings. Did someone else list Jamaica and the Bermudas in his own holdings? Otherwise I suppose they are still British.

The guns well I listed the ships in question with the normal tonnage as standard which should compensate for the half inch change. On Orion and KGV which I simmed it more than did.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

^Yeah, I noticed you also had those half a knot slower which would probably be enough sacrifice there to offset the extra half-inch.
Lascaris wrote:Now time to make perfidious Albion perfidious agan. 8)
Heheh. Oh, this is going to be interesting. And hopefully, great fun. Looking forward to it, especially whether you will keep the NAP or not :D

EDIT: Also, maybe you can clarify which forces, if any, Britain is going to send to the NAP. I am also a bit puzzled why you chose to redo the entire Orbat, I thought Bean had a pretty good one up already. I also wonder about the ship classes you have in service already and their specifications. The superb class and the Leopard class are probably the N3 BB and G3 BC.

That said, I wonder a bit about your tonnage. You have 1991825 afloat, which is almost 500.000 tons more than a NF nation gets at startup. You might have taken advantage of the 1/2 rule for ships on trial, but then these would only be ready in Q2 1926 like Steves and mine ships. Furthermore, this would still leave you with 1801325 tons, still 300.000 tons over the limit of starting ships. I am sure you can explain this.
------------
------------
My LPs
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Lascaris wrote:
Thanas wrote:Lascaris, Gibraltar is still spanish in this TL.

EDIT: *nevermind about the guns, it is probably too small a leap to affect stuff.*
Gibraltar is actually listed in the British holdings by Bean. Malta is not as I suppose it's Greek er Byzantine.

I'm somewhat unclear on Britain's Carribean holdings. Did someone else list Jamaica and the Bermudas in his own holdings? Otherwise I suppose they are still British.

The guns well I listed the ships in question with the normal tonnage as standard which should compensate for the half inch change. On Orion and KGV which I simmed it more than did.
I think Rogue snapped up Jamaica and I bought the BVI but the rest should remain British so far as I am aware.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

No, Britain has Jamaica, and plausibly the Bahamas and the rest of the British Caribbean sans the Virgin Islands.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Lascaris, your OrBat is rejected. Trim your battleship/battlecruiser fleet by at least five units in favor of cruisers to honor the spirit of the pre-game arrangement with Bean.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Lascaris
Padawan Learner

Post by Lascaris »

Steve wrote:Lascaris, your OrBat is rejected. Trim your battleship/battlecruiser fleet by at least five units in favor of cruisers to honor the spirit of the pre-game arrangement with Bean.
Huh? First thing the Orbat says is that ALL ships in italics are still in construction/ trials. That is 4 carriers and 6 battleships /battlecruisers bound to enter service in 1926 but are definately not in service in January 1925.
Lascaris
Padawan Learner

Post by Lascaris »

Thanas wrote:^Yeah, I noticed you also had those half a knot slower which would probably be enough sacrifice there to offset the extra half-inch.
Lascaris wrote:Now time to make perfidious Albion perfidious agan. 8)
Heheh. Oh, this is going to be interesting. And hopefully, great fun. Looking forward to it, especially whether you will keep the NAP or not :D

EDIT: Also, maybe you can clarify which forces, if any, Britain is going to send to the NAP. I am also a bit puzzled why you chose to redo the entire Orbat, I thought Bean had a pretty good one up already. I also wonder about the ship classes you have in service already and their specifications. The superb class and the Leopard class are probably the N3 BB and G3 BC.

That said, I wonder a bit about your tonnage. You have 1991825 afloat, which is almost 500.000 tons more than a NF nation gets at startup. You might have taken advantage of the 1/2 rule for ships on trial, but then these would only be ready in Q2 1926 like Steves and mine ships. Furthermore, this would still leave you with 1801325 tons, still 300.000 tons over the limit of starting ships. I am sure you can explain this.
6 of the N3/G3 sized ships are on trials. So are the 4 Furious class carriers. All ships in italics as said at the start. Which leaves Britain with 1,800,300 tons of shipping. Why the 300,000 additional tons. Special dispensation to Britain usable for light ships only back at the start of the game.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Yeah, but the trials rules only applies to ships ready in Q2 1926 at the earliest date.
You have:
All ships in italics are under trials till January 1926
Furthermore, Britain got this special dispensation iirc due to having an extremely weak army/airforce. Your army shows no sign of this. Compare your orbat with that of Bean:
Army
The British Army has been neglected for years with less than 300,000 active duty personnel in 16 divisions. Starved of resources & funding for years the British Army has struggled for years to rebuild it's forces after the defeats of the 1820's, 1840's and 1860's. At long last it has struggle back to a semblance of quality. The British army standard weapon is the SMLE, a single shot five round rifle. The standard sidearm the Webley MK IV Revolver is it's standard sidearm. The Model 5 Mills bomb is the standard hand-grenade, however the Army Field Office found that most division had only one week's standard combat ammo of these on hand. The Lewis gun is the standard infantry machine gun. However it is noted that only two divisions have their full allotment of machine guns due constant Army budget issues. Also used is the Vickers heavy machine gun but only seven divisions have them at all. Most divisions having only half as many as called for or those they do have were purchased a decade ago. Due to chronic budget shortages few of the British Divisions have the required horse or mule transport for their 18-pounder field artillery pieces or 4.5 inch Howizters. The last study by the Army Field office estimated that over 1/3 of all British artillery guns must be replaced due to wear but no extra funding has been allocated to this at this time.

In total only three of Britain's Field Divisions are considered combat ready. Six additional divisions are considered qualified for Garrison or static defense duty. The remaining eight divisions are considered unsatisfactory due to lack of troop motivation, Terrible showing at group maneuvers or out and out incompetence including when the 8th Infantry division fired live rounds instead of dummy rounds during the national day of Morning after the last King passed on October 10th 1918. This and several other high profile incidents have been most divisions a bad name in the press. Only the 3rd Infantry Division "Old Ironsides" has escaped media scorn and as a consequence it is the most battle-ready of any British division and the best equipped.

Airforce
The Royal Airforce is an outgrowth of Navy's need to find enemy ships and engage them. The British air force is by no means a homogeneous force. While the Air force numbers in at 237 aircraft there is no one model that has more than four squadrons worth of aircraft. The HMS Furious for example carries a half squadron of Fairey III Seaplanes and the New Zeland Royal AF maintains two additional aircraft. The most numerous aircraft is the Sopwith Pup but there exists only a single training squadron the other two squadrons are aboard the HMS Argus and the HMS Hermes. Due to lack of spares they regularly fly at half strength. Other examples of oddball aircraft are two Vickers Vimy's attached to the General Staff in London or a single Fairy Fox attached to the Chinese airforce. Other major aircraft are the Naval version of the Sopwith Strutter, the Felixstowe F.3 Flying boat, the AD Flying Boat, the Curtiss Model R and the Sopwith Tabloid.

I am also wondering if Orbat changes should be allowed when taking over another nation. I mean, I did not redesign the entire Soviet OOB from scratch when I took over. Especially considering that Bean had a total of 890.000 tons in BB/BCs and yours has....1306600. Even if we count ships under trials only by half, this would mean that you have a whole third more capships than Bean had in his ORBAT.

This is a bit unfair to the neighbours who now have to deal with a completely new ballgame that does not arise due to any story developments, but due to you magicking up a new navy. If there would be a storychange - for example, you taking over from bean as in your storypost in December and then massively changing the Navy and constructing a lot of new ships, I would have no objection. I mean, Britain can probably spend more on the Navy than any other country anyway.
------------
------------
My LPs
Lascaris
Padawan Learner

Post by Lascaris »

Thanas wrote:Yeah, but the trials rules only applies to ships ready in Q2 1926 at the earliest date.

This is a bit unfair to the neighbours who now have to deal with a completely new ballgame that does not arise due to any story developments, but due to you magicking up a new navy. If there would be a storychange - for example, you taking over from bean as in your storypost in December and then massively changing the Navy and constructing a lot of new ships, I would have no objection.
Bean had a army focus of 1 and an air focus of 2. Undetailed everything else. What is detailed IS an army focus of 1 and air focus of 2. For the navy I have already consulted with Steve and modified it. Now time for 5 quarters of construction ques...
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Karmic, if you want back in I think Congo would be realistic, especially if you want to keep Mr. Michaels around. But are you sure you have time to participate?

Doomriser
Padawan Learner

Post by Doomriser »

Thanas wrote:
Siege wrote:There; a reply to the pardon. The way this is going before long we'll be playing SDN World #3: The Costume Drama :).
Heh. :lol: Well, I could go looking for another war (*just kidding*).

EDIT: I find it nearly impossible to find good pictures of that era, especially fashion. I got a few good ones from a russian movie, but the do not fit the storyline, so I had to use those I am currently using. Which meant I had to redo a bit of my storyline, but way better than just writing huge lines of text without giving you anything niece to look at.
The London player may be interested in the following video:

London, 1927 [in colour!]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwahIQz0o-M

http://www.howtobearetronaut.com/2010/0 ... 0s-london/

Thanas, maybe you should rip some images off old German films?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Nah, I am good now. I got enough screens to last the entire storyline.
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Also - anybody else wishing to send anything to the naval review? Election post should be up tomorrow.
------------
------------
My LPs
Karmic Knight
Jedi Master

Post by Karmic Knight »

Steve wrote:Karmic, if you want back in I think Congo would be realistic, especially if you want to keep Mr. Michaels around. But are you sure you have time to participate?
I think I have time to participate, and if the Congo needs a player I would be willing to play as the Congo. What would I have to do to get up to speed with the game and the Congo?
This is an empty country and I am it's king, and I should not be allowed to touch anything.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Thanas wrote:Also - anybody else wishing to send anything to the naval review? Election post should be up tomorrow.
Did you note my last IC post and the Cascadian force being sent? Not the one with the bureaucrats arguing over it but the post where the President makes the decision.

Karmic, I'd think you should find whatever Setzer's build queue and OrBat were, fill in any missing build queues, and then modify OrBat to accommodate new units from the queues that have been completed.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Steve wrote:
Thanas wrote:Also - anybody else wishing to send anything to the naval review? Election post should be up tomorrow.
Did you note my last IC post and the Cascadian force being sent? Not the one with the bureaucrats arguing over it but the post where the President makes the decision.
Yeah, I did. I have not heard from the nordic empire, Poland, the congo, Manchuria and Britain.
------------
------------
My LPs
Lascaris
Padawan Learner

Post by Lascaris »

Thanas wrote:
Steve wrote:
Yeah, I did. I have not heard from the nordic empire, Poland, the congo, Manchuria and Britain.
I debate with myself what should the appropriate British reaction in the era should be. Britain is not in the least happy with what happened in Holland in principle. And left unspoken that it wasn't given anything in compensation for its non involvement hardly helps.

But does that translate to the British failing to come to the fleet review, sending an extremely low key representation or nevertheless appearing out in force?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

^I don't know. I mean, one could also snub the Germans if one so wished by not appearing at all. However, at the Jubilee in 1905 Britain grumbled about Germany sending just one old battleship, if that is any kind of precedence.
------------
------------
My LPs
CmdrWilkens
Emperor's Hand

Post by CmdrWilkens »

Based on the early rhetoric heading in to ceasefire negotiations I probably won't be able to get in to a fleet-wide stand-down until sometime around the turn of the year so I doubt any significant units will be available. The mission and most of the consular officers will of course attend but units for the naval review have now passed the stage where it is highly unlikely any will be sent from Mexico.
SDNet World Nation: Wilkonia
Armourer of the WARWOLVES
ASVS Vet's Association (Class of 2000)
Former C.S. Strowbridge Gold Ego Award Winner
MEMBER of the Anti-PETA Anti-Facist LEAGUE

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. "
-Kingdom of Heaven
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Thanas wrote:I would suggest matching their expenses in naval production,
So am I to take it that you plan on scaling back naval production? :P

(I know, I know, this is just something you are saying to make the Kaiser happy)

Also, I did get your PM, but give me some time to respond. I may end up responding in a roundabout manner IC.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."