SD.Net World Redux Comment Thread V

Create, read, or participate in text-based RPGs

Moderators: Thanas, Steve

Master_Baerne
Jedi Council Member

Re: SD.Net World Redux Comment Thread V

Post by Master_Baerne »

Meh, it's Frequesque. Nothing's definite, even our national identities. :)
Conversion Table:

2000 Mockingbirds = 2 Kilomockingbirds
Basic Unit of Laryngitis = 1 Hoarsepower
453.6 Graham Crackers = 1 Pound Cake
1 Kilogram of Falling Figs - 1 Fig Newton
Time Between Slipping on a Banana Peel and Smacking the Pavement = 1 Bananosecond
Half of a Large Intestine = 1 Semicolon
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I thought about it after writing "Coilerburgian" and, really, it's usually "-burger" and not "-burgian".
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Ryan Thunder wrote:Would anybody object to Miratia drawing some significant immigration from Coilerburg in such a situation? My population density, as it stands, is freakishly low.
Everybody Else wrote: Why, nothing, nothing at all...
Should I take that as a "no"?
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Ryan Thunder wrote:
Ryan Thunder wrote:Would anybody object to Miratia drawing some significant immigration from Coilerburg in such a situation? My population density, as it stands, is freakishly low.
Everybody Else wrote: Why, nothing, nothing at all...
Should I take that as a "no"?
Why would you want a group of poor yuppies who have only known war for the last few years? Will make your situation worse me thinks?
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:Why would you want a group of poor yuppies who have only known war for the last few years? Will make your situation worse me thinks?
That bad, huh?

Yeah, I guess they might have trouble integrating. On the other hand, the ones that come to Miratia would be the ones that want to get away from all that.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Expat Somali communities in other places are full of assholes.

You might end up with Coilerburgers who'd want to enact Shroomariah Law or something for their insular community of shitpieces. You wouldn't want that. :lol:
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

Steve wrote:I object to the idea that Coilerburg's populace would accept a San Doradan takeover or to Coiler's preposterous idea that the people will willingly abandon a national identity when they can so much more easily blame the military for its chronic mishandling of the government, whether as a junta or by getting its officers elected.
Except of course that it's not going to be presented to the public as a "San Doradan takeover", but as a union of nations. We're not idiots. What'll happen is that the Congress of Coilerburg will announce that the nation will be massively reformed on a model akin to that of San Dorado, with massive San Doradan help. Since we're bloody successful and they are not, and we're an established long-time ally, neither move is particularly strange. Then gradually we'll move toward incorporation, and in case people missed it before: this will be a process spanning years.

As for this idea of a civil war, Coilerburg has a history of military mishandling going back decades. As far as I know the citizenry never revolted before-- why do you think they should start now all of a sudden? It's clear the populace is utterly apathetic and disillusioned. If they didn't revolt when their previous junta recruited tens of thousands of soldiers for an invasion of Sabika and then all fired them a few years later after the invasion fizzled, I hardly expect them to when San Dorado comes to their frickin' aid.
Realistically the instance such a request passed the Coilerburger legislature there should be large street protests combined with elements of the military planning a coup to save their country's sovereignty.
And there will be protests, and there will be elements of the military planning a coup. Who the hell do you think I am Steve, Zor? I think I deserve a little more credit than y'all are giving me here.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Siege, whatever happened to the Fist Of Allah storyline, eh? You do know it's kind of a prerequisite to the, ah, other things we have planned, right? :D
JULY 20TH 1969 - The day the entire world was looking up

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.
- NEIL ARMSTRONG, MISSION COMMANDER, APOLLO 11

Signature dedicated to the greatest achievement of mankind.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

PeZook wrote:Siege, whatever happened to the Fist Of Allah storyline, eh? You do know it's kind of a prerequisite to the, ah, other things we have planned, right? :D
I know. I was going to finish it yesterday, but something else came up... ;)
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I was making a statement of how I think things should go, SiegeTank, not insinuating you were going to powergame your way to becoming a Principality-level state. :P

If that's how Coiler wants to end his involvement in the game, fine by me, but aside from trying to massively overhaul Coilerburg on San Doradan lines while remaining sovereign, I just don't see a majority of the populace openly supporting denying their own sovereignty.

And I fully expect that as long as I do it just as properly, you allow me to take advantage of this precedent to have that group of Adabani (New Olympians) who want to rejoin Cascadia as the eighth Republic. :P

Hrm, speaking of that, I might retroactively retcon Cascadia's system so that the "Provinces" are, in fact, called "Republics" (since I'd established in my history that both Jieshi and Rosario were once independent Republics anyway). It'd still be called the Federal Republic of Cascadia, of course.

As a final note, frankly there should have been severe public repercussions for some of Coiler's earlier adventurism, like his snap invasion of Sabika. But let's face it, the principle we were going to establish of making ourselves answerable to our citizens and not just always-supported figures has been left dormant for most of the game. Otherwise Shep would've been foisted by a player-mandated coup by Shepistani intelligence to prevent him from using precious biowar stockpiles on a small country because he didn't like their leaders while Veg would have been required to undergo a civil war the instant the most devoted slave-owners of Astaria realized what his persona in charge was doing.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

Steve wrote: But let's face it, the principle we were going to establish of making ourselves answerable to our citizens and not just always-supported figures has been left dormant for most of the game. Otherwise Shep would've been foisted by a player-mandated coup by Shepistani intelligence to prevent him from using precious biowar stockpiles on a small country because he didn't like their leaders while Veg would have been required to undergo a civil war the instant the most devoted slave-owners of Astaria realized what his persona in charge was doing.
Yeah, well, it would've worked if we had a mod. It was kind of designed with a mod in mind :D

It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.

MILDLY DERANGED PHYSICIST does not mind BREAKING the SOUND BARRIER, because it is INSURED. - Simon_Jester considering the problems of hypersonic flight for Team L.A.M.E.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Pffft.. if there were a mod, a lot of the doomsday scenarios would have been nipped in the bud before they rose into being, but yeah... apparently, some of them were just begging to get whacked.
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

How do you guys think I'd fare if the "players held accountable to their populaces" thing was implemented? :D
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I offered to mod a couple of times. But I think there was some lingering question on player mods and a mod council, etc.

Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:How do you guys think I'd fare if the "players held accountable to their populaces" thing was implemented? :D
Well, you wouldn't be able to have child-like retards for officials, at least...

"He's taking a bath," indeed. :lol:
PeZook
Emperor's Hand

Post by PeZook »

I wouldn't underestimate Shroomanians, mang. The Shadows did, and look what it got 'em.

Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

PeZook wrote:I wouldn't underestimate Shroomanians, mang. The Shadows did, and look what it got 'em.
Guy, that just makes it even worse, because you're getting your ass kicked by said child-like retards, and it makes sense for them to be doing so!
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Steve wrote:I offered to mod a couple of times. But I think there was some lingering question on player mods and a mod council, etc.
I would second you as a mod.
Kreia
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Steve for Mod! Steve for Mod! Steve for Mod!

Ryan

The Shroomanians are a jovial and fun-loving people, for in the past they have faced adversity - gazed the Shadow Hitler, Shitler, in the eye and proceeded to ruin his shit and beat him and the Shadowzis with stick. Then we faced another adversity in the form of Stastalin and the resurgent Crimson Star Republic, and stood steadfast and resolute as a bulwark against Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy from sapping and impurifying all of our precious bodily fluids until the Wintry War thawed into a new age of peace.

The Sovereignty has existed for centuries, and throughout most of its existence has been a great power that has weathered through the worst things history has thrown at any great civilization. Today, they have found a reprieve in peace and the Shroomanian people bask in the newfound tranquility of the once-bloodsoaked Old Continent - but do not mistake kindness, compassion, and easygoingness for complacency.

And we've got Yer Mom. :wink:

Siege, that was awesome!
Captain Mohammad wondered whether that was because he felt completely secure in the knowledge that Allah would protect him, or because he was just utterly insane. With every passing day she began to lean more toward the latter option.
:lol:
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:<snip>
Oh, don't get me wrong. Shroomania is quite powerful. You just have a habit of trivializing everything down to ridiculous levels, and it gets on my nerves, even if it really shouldn't. For example, having an SSGN class called Yer Mom.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

You guys take things too seriously, mang. But I guess you're just sore that Shroomanian companies are working with Baernish, Vinish, and San Doradoans to dominate the media in the F-ing continent with horrible television beamed from Shroomanian sat and stratellites. :P

We're the kind of people who'd have Parliament people put up cardboard mockups of their heads of state.

Or have Prime Ministers who do ballets behind the backs of monarchs.

But seriously, I have a carelessly joyful and deranged view of the world. I'm running Shroomania like Canada, it's a pleasant place that's polite to other people and very open-minded.

Would you rather have us trying to annex foreign territories and do all sorts of geopolitical intrigue and buttstabbing? Because if Shroomanians get all intriguing, we don't backstab people. We buttstab them.

With penises.

EDIT:

That's why international intelligence agencies consider getting captured in Shroomania by the Sovereignty's Secret Service to be the worst nightmare imaginable.

Look at those poor Coilburger submariners. :(

EDIT 2:

Actually, don't. Close your eyes.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Man, someone's sinking ships right in Rangatara's territorial waters? That's my playground!

And now, the Fist of Allah must be careful not to run into a bunch of angry Tonkinites right in that boat's path :mrgreen:
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

phongn wrote:And now, the Fist of Allah must be careful not to run into a bunch of angry Tonkinites right in that boat's path :mrgreen:
Aw, and to think you and Captain Mohammad were still super best friends when they hired Tonkin International Armaments to repair their damaged submarine ;).
Zor
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zor »

phongn wrote:Man, someone's sinking ships right in Rangatara's territorial waters? That's my playground!

And now, the Fist of Allah must be careful not to run into a bunch of angry Tonkinites right in that boat's path :mrgreen:
Would you be willing to accept assistance from his Majesty's Zorian Navy to see them sent to the abyss?

Zor
HAIL ZOR! WE'LL BLOW UP THE OCEAN!
Heros of Cybertron-HAB-Keeper of the Vicious pit of Allosauruses-King Leighton-I, United Kingdom of Zoria: SD.net World/Tsar Mikhail-I of the Red Tsardom: SD.net Kingdoms
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE ON EARTH, ALL EARTH BREAKS LOOSE ON HELL
Terran Sphere
The Art of Zor
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

Siege, I'm loving the story. Keep up the good work.

P.S. For those interested I'm reorganizing my OOB, the Army and Air Force are done(not completely, but almost there) and I'll soon do my navy as well. If anybody wants to check it out and point out any mistakes, feel free to do so.

USSR Army OOB
USSR Air Force OOB